The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 February 2020, 03:55 PM   #1
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Observation on “Incoming” posts now vs. 10 years ago

I’ve been collecting watches for about 20 years or so and have been on watch forums for about 12 years.

Over that time, I’ve noticed a significant change in the incoming or new watch announcement posts. I personally love looking at those threads as it’s nice to see somebody be happy with a new watch acquisition.

10 years ago, folks typically announced their new watches, with their watch many times being a personal reward or indulgence for an accomplishment or achievement. A new watch on a birthday, anniversary, after a great year or quarter at work, etc. Those associated events made the new watch even more special and memorable.

Nowadays, incoming or new watch posts typically start with “got the call from my AD”. The primary trigger for the purchase was the watch’s availability or arrival at the dealer.

I’ve been lucky to have wonderful local Rolex AD relationships, so I haven’t had to wait long at all for a particular model when I’ve asked for it.

But, I do kind of miss those days when I’d just get up one morning, happy of something I’ve done. Id want to treat myself to something special so I’d go shopping and pick out a lovely watch from the Rolex display case. Sure gray market or online sellers can get you anything you want promptly, but the online experience doesn’t compare to the excitement of falling in love with a watch at the dealer and wearing it home for the first time.

I still love watches and I still enjoy the experience of adding a new one to my collection as much as buying my first Rolex. It’s just that the process is a bit different. But, I’ll keep happily reading the incoming watch threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Yeah, I agree. I was a member on the old TURF board. Different crowd.

I have a hard time taking anything on this board seriously. It's a bunch of middle-aged tools trying to show-off, post steering wheel shots, and babbling about ADs.

Pretty sad by and large....

We all know what a Rolex watch looks like...no need to keep posting the same boring tired photos over and over. If you've seen one Daytona snapped with a BMW steering wheel in the background then you don't need to see another. People with maxed out credit cards and leased exotics don't impress me much. Never did. People with real money don't do crap like that...
Old 19 February 2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Pongster
"TRF" Member

While there indeed may be show-offs (or flexers as appears to be the term now) among those participating in the various threats, i would like to think that majority are genuine enthusiasts.

They post pictures because this is to my understanding a picture based forum.

And i dont think people are necessarily showing off. Like me, i think most of us find this a welcoming and safe environment to discuss our passion for watches. And this would necessarily require sharing photos of the very watches themselves (as we are not in the same physical room where we can physically share a watch like what happens in actual GTGs or simple meet ups among watch lovers).
Old 19 February 2020, 04:57 PM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post

I have a hard time taking anything on this board seriously. It's a bunch of middle-aged tools trying to show-off, post steering wheel shots, and babbling about ADs.

We all know what a Rolex watch looks like...no need to keep posting the same boring tired photos over and over. If you've seen one Daytona snapped with a BMW steering wheel in the background then you don't need to see another. People with maxed out credit cards and leased exotics don't impress me much. Never did. People with real money don't do crap like that...
Man, you're just breath of fresh air, aren't you.

As the old saying goes, a thread is worthless without pictures and I enjoy posting my own and looking at the postings of others.

Of course, I'm well beyond middle-age now and I've never owned a BMW, so I make do with my Honda steering wheel that I own and paid cash for, just like all the watches that I own, being debt-free, as I am.

I may not have as much money as most folks around here, but it's all real and it's all mine.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 19 February 2020, 05:04 PM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
No matter the reason, I enjoy incoming threads simply because it’s just another opportunity to see a nice watch and hopefully hear what the new owner has to say about it.
Pictures are cool, I don’t get into the politics of why someone bought it(mostly we’ll have different views), but it’s not my business, nor do I really care, I just like to enjoy some nice photos.
Old 19 February 2020, 05:04 PM   #6
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Haha, I posted the same a few months ago. Mine got removed because I suggested making an apart topic column only for incomings. I am an avid enthusiast but get sick of all the ‘look what I got’ threads I come across. Now I just skip them and move on to the more interesting ones and they are here for sure, otherwise I would have been long gone by now.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2020, 05:04 PM   #7
GradyPhilpott

Whoops!

Old 19 February 2020, 05:05 PM   #8
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
...the online experience doesn’t compare to the excitement of falling in love with a watch at the dealer and wearing it home for the first time.
Ah, an old school watch enthusiast that buys watches because he loves them and understands that the emotional attachment is much more important than being able to brag that he paid $10k over MSRP for the watch that everyone and his mother's live-in boyfriend would kill for.

Old 19 February 2020, 05:11 PM   #9
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2jag View Post
Haha, I posted the same a few months ago. Mine got removed because I suggested making an apart topic column only for incomings. I am an avid enthusiast but get sick of all the ‘look what I got’ threads I come across. Now I just skip them and move on to the more interesting ones and they are here for sure, otherwise I would have been long gone by now.

What, might I ask, does one come to a watch forum for, besides the reasons which you say you don't like?

Should we just abandon the watch forums and spend all our time in the Open Forum?

Should we post threads of watches we don't have and wouldn't wear if they were given to us?

This new breed of "collectors" is leaving me wondering what motivates them to even own a watch, much less visit a watch forum.

Old 19 February 2020, 05:15 PM   #10
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve been collecting watches for about 20 years or so and have been on watch forums for about 12 years.

Over that time, I’ve noticed a significant change in the incoming or new watch announcement posts. I personally love looking at those threads as it’s nice to see somebody be happy with a new watch acquisition.

10 years ago, folks typically announced their new watches, with their watch many times being a personal reward or indulgence for an accomplishment or achievement. A new watch on a birthday, anniversary, after a great year or quarter at work, etc. Those associated events made the new watch even more special and memorable.

Nowadays, incoming or new watch posts typically start with “got the call from my AD”. The primary trigger for the purchase was the watch’s availability or arrival at the dealer.

I’ve been lucky to have wonderful local Rolex AD relationships, so I haven’t had to wait long at all for a particular model when I’ve asked for it.

But, I do kind of miss those days when I’d just get up one morning, happy of something I’ve done. Id want to treat myself to something special so I’d go shopping and pick out a lovely watch from the Rolex display case. Sure gray market or online sellers can get you anything you want promptly, but the online experience doesn’t compare to the excitement of falling in love with a watch at the dealer and wearing it home for the first time.

I still love watches and I still enjoy the experience of adding a new one to my collection as much as buying my first Rolex. It’s just that the process is a bit different. But, I’ll keep happily reading the incoming watch threads.

To be honest I used to buy a new watch every couple of years from my local AD , Daytona , GMT Datejusts ect and the Hulk and the Batman just before the hype kicked in.
Since the Rolex world has gone crazy I've been in the position to be able to get all the ' Hot Models' due to my previous custom and loyalty .
So these days I've bought Rolex I might not have wanted 5 yeas ago purely as they're gaining value and purely because I have access to them at retail price.

I was a collector with a decent collection before the hype , now I'm collecting something that at this moment in time is a good investment .
Who wouldn't do the same ?
Old 19 February 2020, 05:18 PM   #11
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
What, might I ask, does one come to a watch forum for, besides the reasons which you say you don't like?

Should we just abandon the watch forums and spend all our time in the Open Forum?

Should we post threads of watches we don't have and wouldn't wear if they were given to us?

This new breed of "collectors" is leaving me wondering what motivates them to even own a watch, much less visit a watch forum.

Good point... not sure myself. I belong to another Rolex watch forum and there the culture is different, not so status oriented...

Old 19 February 2020, 05:20 PM   #12
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:

How much this post looks like my own! Incredible.
I agree with you completely on buying new from ADs, nothing beat that experience. The scarcity and hype of some models caused the hype and gave business to grey dealers and also created a new type of buyers, those who just want the hottest model out there.
However, a watch can be acquired as a reminder of a special event or a trophy but it can also be just another watch purchase, nothing wrong with that, collectors do it all the time.

Old 19 February 2020, 05:23 PM   #13
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Yes. I've worn my GMT all over the world. No issues. It's been in every ocean and beach on the map.

Even in his early posts he was full of it Grady, check them out.

He is just one more for my list.

Old 19 February 2020, 05:25 PM   #14
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post

I was a collector with a decent collection before the hype , now I'm collecting something that at this moment in time is a good investment .

Who wouldn't do the same ?

Nope!

I have been collecting for many years and have owned many different models and seen the influx of a new market. I also have a great relationship with my AD. I buy because I am a watch lover not an investor.

Old 19 February 2020, 05:40 PM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It does feel more about the incoming than the watch itself, a lot of the time.
Old 19 February 2020, 05:46 PM   #16
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Problem is you can no longer reward yourself on a memorable day because the stock is most likely not available.
Old 19 February 2020, 06:14 PM   #17
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Problem is you can no longer reward yourself on a memorable day because the stock is most likely not available.

Yes you can, you just have to plan way ahead. Lol

Old 19 February 2020, 07:22 PM   #18
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I feel sorry for you. Sad way to judge other people this way.

Old 19 February 2020, 07:25 PM   #19
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good points. But we are all different... should there be room for all of us, with different views and ways of enjoying watches? But yeah... my way is allways so much better&deeper...

Old 19 February 2020, 09:11 PM   #20
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Incoming with pics are fine. I never post incomings as i dont see the point. Everyone knows how a blro/exp/sub looks like but ok i get it. But those i got the call/txt or incoming tmr posts are pathetic. I always imagine some guy on the phone running to his comp to share the good news with a bunch of strangers to get some kudos. Why not wait till you actualy have the watch, enjoy it for a bit and then post your incoming. Strange times.
Old 19 February 2020, 09:12 PM   #21
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Observation on “Incoming” posts now vs. 10 years ago

Quote:

Don’t take this the wrong way but I take issue with your post. Many newer buyers and collectors didn’t have the luxury of buying or affording to buy during the “good old days.” For example, I turned 35 last year, and my wife was heavily involved last year to try and secure me a nice watch to commemorate. Do you think I got it? No. She was trying for the better part of a year, as did the SA btw. I’ve also been on a wait list at a local LA AD for over a year on a sky dweller. Do you think I got a call? No. This is not new. Open your eyes and have a bigger perspective. The “ad called me” and “incoming posts” are a product of the current market. We take the watches when we can and are excited to have the chance at being able to buy them. This is the current market. There is no more “10 years ago people only bought to commemorate...” in the past 2 years I’ve had a few events I would have liked to commemorate but none of my acquisitions were remotely near that time. By the time I got the watch, the event in question was already an after thought. I was just happy to get the watch at that point.

Old 19 February 2020, 09:18 PM   #22
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Incoming with pics are fine. I never post incomings as i dont see the point. Everyone knows how a blro/exp/sub looks like but ok i get it. But those i got the call/txt or incoming tmr posts are pathetic. I always imagine some guy on the phone running to his comp to share the good news with a bunch of strangers to get some kudos. Why not wait till you actualy have the watch, enjoy it for a bit and then post your incoming. Strange times.

I get this sentiment, but as a watch enthusiast I can tell you there is no one else to share this news with lol. Of course it makes more sense to share once the watch is in possession and on the wrist. Some people are more excited than others. I know a lot of people and every time I get a new watch, literally only my wife knows what’s going on. Most don’t know or understand. I’m not bothered by these types of posts.

Old 19 February 2020, 09:20 PM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Sure. Although it was ordered to commemorate something. It's just that the "something" in question happened months or years previously before the watch turned up.

Trying to time it in advance, for example to commemorate a really big achievement, smashing a target, winning a big contract, hitting a financial milestone, surviving a serious illness, etc... is impossible. Even timing it for birthdays, anniversaries etc. is probably going to miss. At least, if you use an AD.
Old 19 February 2020, 09:25 PM   #24
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
It does feel more about the incoming than the watch itself, a lot of the time.
Yes, but that is a sign of the times.
Old 19 February 2020, 09:28 PM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Then what are you doing here?

Or does that insulting characterisation include yourself?
Old 19 February 2020, 09:29 PM   #26
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Rather hypocritical then that you choose Wimbledon as your avatar, that bunch fits right in with the BMW, 4x4 and Daytona ra ra show-offs you seem so against.
Old 19 February 2020, 09:40 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

Now we're getting somewhere. How about a section for people to post in who don't like the forum. Not only would it create somewhere for the mods to move the slurry, it will also allow the rest of us to skip past it without having to read even the thread headings.

Nice.
Old 19 February 2020, 09:41 PM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
BMW, 4x4 and Daytona ra ra show-offs
How dare you accuse me of owning a Daytona!

:)

Old 19 February 2020, 09:42 PM   #29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yes, because listing that you specifically live in the UES rather than simply saying NYC isn't showing off at all.

Edit: And now he's gone. Guess that's that.
Old 19 February 2020, 09:46 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Well hopefully the moderators can ease your pain by giving you the old heave ho
Closed Thread