The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 27 January 2018, 08:16 AM   #1
acuteperformance
"TRF" Member

Thathorologist Scammer? Need your opinions.

Hi Everyone

Something just doesn't sit right with me, mods gave a suggestion to post it here for other opinions. I'm not going to name names right now. (EDIT: Mod inserted member name in title)

I currently have a Rolex Hulk for sale. Jon, not his real name, reaches out to me says he's interested and asks me the typical questions:

1. Do you have any references? "Yes I've worked with Takuya many times he can vouch for me. Here's a link to my eBay site and just Google my name you'll see I have a long history. Feel free to contact me on eBay or other forums and I will respond."

2. Can you take pictures with the clock set at a certain time. "Sure no problem."

We both come to an agreement, everyone seems happy and Jon says he'll give me a call the next day. I ask him what number he's calling from so I don't miss the call and he says he'll be calling using a calling card since he's in Canada. Fine no big deal, calling cards can be great to help save money.

Next day, Monday, comes around, we chat on the phone, everything is fine and he says he'll send a wire.

On Tuesday, he sends me some paperwork showing he did the transfer along with a FedEx shipping label. I acknowledge that I've received the label and will ship once I receive the wire transfer.

All day Tuesday, no wire, no big deal. I've dealt with int'l wires and know they can take up to 2-3 business days. Jon however sends me an email at noon telling me to call my bank since the wire should be there. I call my bank, they see nothing and tell me to ask Jon for a wire transfer tracking #. Jon says the tracking # is on the paperwork but the number there isn't helpful to my bank.

At 8P my time, Jon sends me an email:

Quote:
Hello Michael, any hits yet?
have you printed the label yet?
Im having difficulty changing date also my company is paying for insurance and it’s costing $500CAD to make sure package gets here safely so rearranging that is a hassle as well.
I might have to create new labels and I already paid $147CAD for that label. If any fedex store is open at this hour please go ahead with shipping if not I have to call insurance and fedex to rearrange for tomorrow.
Definitely some red flags pop up in my mind. Doesn't make sense that he's charged for the labels, but again it's fine let's see what happens tomorrow.

Wednesday comes around, I regularly look for incoming wires and email Jon back each time giving an update, but nothing is in my account. Jon sends another email

Quote:
Thank you for updating. I will revise the shipping label for today’s date.
Please ship before fedex is closed today.
Im sure you’re familiar with wires as my bank staff mentioned 3-5 business days and it’s only been 1 full business day...
thanks
I respond:
Quote:
Why don’t you wait until I get the wire before generating a label? Don’t worry I’m being patient, let’s just hope it doesn’t take 5 days
Jon responds:
Quote:
No Offence Michael but you only have 1 review and your business on the US LLC chart is Inactive I only sent the wire because of Takuya’s reference. I didn’t even contact him. You never participated in any major groups regarding watches vs me I have been dealing (collecting buying and selling ) watches since 2011 vs you have only 50 posts online regarding watches and you own very few pieces which I appreciate your taste but doesn’t contribute to my trust towards you.

I wired based on one fact(takuya) and I delivered as promised, But I’m still awaiting a response or an action from you to make me feel safe and secure about this transaction.
You mentioned you have international clients and wires so You are very familiar with bankwires.

Bankwires are certainly sensitive and untraceable so I am at risk here Micheal.
Thank you for understanding.

will forward the revised version of shipping label and please ship.

Thank you
I respond:
Quote:
Are you expecting me to ship without receiving the money? Because that won’t happen. If you’re questioning my legitimacy, then please contact Takuya. I can even give you his phone number. He will 100% vouch for me. I have purchased and sold him many watches that are valued much greater (Patek, AP).

If that’s not good enough, then contact me on eBay, you will see me responding. My company name is plastered all over the Internet, you can contact me on any of those car forums and I will respond.

Who have you worked with that I can contact?

What is your direct #, you only call me through a calling card?

Again, I’m being patient, I have others offering me for the watch but I’m holding it for you. If I was trying to rip you off, why even respond as often and quickly as I am? That would make no sense.

Furthermore, if you do a search on Google for michael@acuteperformance.com you receive over 24k matches. When I Google your email, all I get is a recent incident on rolexforums.com.
Jon responds:
Quote:
Your webpage online is private No access granted to public...

And yes I will contact Takuya.
I provided my cell in previous emails and the shipping label as well...

If you have offers more than your asking please go ahead with that sale I will call my bank and your bank to redirect it if possible.

Cheers
I respond:
Quote:
In that case, are you ending the transaction? Like I said, I will wait the 3-5 days, I have no problem with that, but don’t expect me to ship without the funds in my account.
Jon responds:
Quote:
Unfortunately Michael I am not feeling comfortable with that. I understand it from your point of view as well as a seller, I should’ve mentioned same or next day landing when I funds were wired.

I usually receive watches before paying for them or I fly if at certain value.

I am about to back out of this feel because my feelings aren’t right about this transaction...
I respond:
Quote:
The decision is up to you. If you want to back out then go ahead just let me know what your final decision is.
Jon responds:
Quote:
The fact that you bumped your ad after I sent funds says a lot about this deal and for that reason Im out.

Thank you for your time

All the best
Yes I bumped the thread because at this point I'm no longer trusting Jon.

On Thursday morning I respond:
Quote:
I’m going to assume you cancelled the wire, but just FYI the wire hasn’t shown up. If by chance you can’t cancel the wire and it does show up; I can re-send it back to you if you’d like.
Jon responds:
Quote:
Good morning,
My bank is working on that with Wells Fargo

If any help needed will contact you promptly

Many Thanks
So today, Friday. There is no wire transfer in my account and of course I never shipped the watch out. What's also interesting me is, I deal with a ton of int'l wire transfer with my business and generally do receive them in 2 days. But my understanding is that once you send out a wire, after 1 day, you cannot cancel it anymore. So since he claims he sent it on Tuesday and then cancelled the wire on Thursday. I am coming to the conclusion that he never sent the wire, created fraudulent paperwork, and was hoping by creating a sense of urgency, I would just ship him the watch.

What does the forum think? Maybe it was just a bad transaction. If so, then I will keep all names confidential.

Thanks.

Michael
Old 27 January 2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
I'm in Canada, Toronto to be specific, I just completed my first Rolex purchase from Tony(justrolexes), which was an easy, simple, and a pleasant transaction.

When I went to my bank and sent the wire, I was told it *could* take a full business day to arrive, but would most likely be there by the end of the day.

By the time I arrived home, 20 minutes later, I received a note from Tony that he had received the money.

Ohhh...and not in ONE MILLION YEARS would I ever expect even someone I had done many transactions with to send me an item prior to receiving the funds.

Your radar going active was obviously correct in my opinion.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:29 AM   #3
drifter01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Air-King
Personally I would think that he never sent the wire and was hoping you would buy the story and go ahead and ship the watch.

Dave
Ace of Clubs
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." - Hunter S. Thompson
drifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:30 AM   #4
acuteperformance
"TRF" Member

If true and he is a scammer, his paperwork and his commitment to see this through were pretty good. Very worrisome to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
I'm in Canada, Toronto to be specific, I just completed my first Rolex purchase from Tony(justrolexes), which was an easy, simple, and a pleasant transaction.

When I went to my bank and sent the wire, I was told it *could* take a full business day to arrive, but would most likely be there by the end of the day.

By the time I arrived home, 20 minutes later, I received a note from Tony that he had received the money.

Ohhh...and not in ONE MILLION YEARS would I ever expect even someone I had done many transactions with to send me an item prior to receiving the funds.

Your radar going active was obviously correct in my opinion.
Old 27 January 2018, 08:32 AM   #5
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter01 View Post
Personally I would think that he never sent the wire and was hoping you would buy the story and go ahead and ship the watch.
agreed .......
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:33 AM   #6
Yk101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list!
For whatever it worth, I’m with you in this one! Somehow this behavior rings the wrong bell for me.
Yk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:34 AM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Smells fishy, no money no watch, simple as that.
I believe that your “red flags” were well heeded.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:38 AM   #8
usling15
"TRF" Member

Wire Transfer

You are 100 % in the right. Deal was for him to send wire. That automatically assumes you receive the $ before shipping. Common scam to rush shipment, leaving country, special occasion, competing with another seller, etc,etc.
You dodged a bullet there. I think you might respectfully publish his name as the transfer should have happened in that time frame. Very suspicious.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:49 AM   #9
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Who'd have thought that "this person" would be at least a right royal pain.

He will soon be in to state things from his point of view. Expect much bluster along the way.

If he chooses to stay away, I can just remove his account.
Old 27 January 2018, 08:54 AM   #10
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
SCAM!!! Make sure your bank knows you've been scammed and that he has your bank wire address. Wells Fargo told me that if he has the address he can get funds out of your account. Not sure how that would work but Wells Fargo discourages people from giving out the bank wire address for funds transfer.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:56 AM   #11
acuteperformance
"TRF" Member

Hmm first I've heard of that but good looking out. I do require two factor authentication for any money transfers. I'll give them a call now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
SCAM!!! Make sure your bank knows you've been scammed and that he has your bank wire address. Wells Fargo told me that if he has the address he can get funds out of your account. Not sure how that would work but Wells Fargo discourages people from giving out the bank wire address for funds transfer.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:16 AM   #12
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
If this is true, it is news to me. The bank information you give out to receive a wire is the same that is on a check that a ton of people could see. Unless there are issues specific to Wells Fargo, I would not worry about this potential scammer being able to access funds from your account.
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 09:17 AM   #13
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Thathorologist (the member in question) has viewed this thread for the last 30 mins and is currently private messaging someone.

He said he is traveling at the moment and will read properly/respond later.

Not too busy to be hovering/pm'ing, not good.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:19 AM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Sure sounds like a scam to me.

If he's a member here I think it's time to name him before someone else gets hurt.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 09:19 AM   #15
cop414

Paul, I sent you a pm on this, it’s late now from what I’ve just read. I was doing a little investigating.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 27 January 2018, 09:21 AM   #16
cop414

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Sure sounds like a scam to me.

If he's a member here I think it's time to name him before someone else gets hurt.
He was named in the post above yours Mon.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 27 January 2018, 09:23 AM   #17
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
He was named in the post above yours Mon.
I saw it, posted while I typed.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:24 AM   #18
cop414

Yea, we’re stepping all over each other on this one.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 27 January 2018, 09:31 AM   #19
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I have banned the account Thathorologist.

He spent the last 20 mins PM'ing when he could have been here.

I have told him to create a new account Thathorolgist1 to continue the conversation here.

We can undo the banning when this is straightened.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:35 AM   #20
cop414

Well done Paul.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 27 January 2018, 09:41 AM   #21
acuteperformance
"TRF" Member

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced what I have.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:41 AM   #22
Thathorologist1
Banned

Hello all, I am on the road and left my tabs open while pming mods. I’ve never Purchased a watch from TRF and would like to clear this up. Ps just pulled over...
Thathorologist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 09:42 AM   #23
Thathorologist1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
I have banned the account Thathorologist.

He spent the last 20 mins PM'ing when he could have been here.

I have told him to create a new account Thathorolgist1 to continue the conversation here.

We can undo the banning when this is straightened.
Yes, I left my tabs open while driving since last I pmed you only, That’s why I was visible as online and just before I was able to post and pm you few minuets ago I was banned so couldn’t communicate...
Old 27 January 2018, 09:45 AM   #24
Thathorologist1
Banned

My name is not Jon obviously and never purchased a watch from TRF
someone is using my name mods please advise what to do next
Old 27 January 2018, 09:46 AM   #25
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thathorologist1 View Post
Hello all, I am on the road and left my tabs open while pming mods. I’ve never Purchased a watch from TRF and would like to clear this up. Ps just pulled over...
If not on TRF then where did this transaction start?
Old 27 January 2018, 09:49 AM   #26
acuteperformance
"TRF" Member

Take a look at this. Mods have hidden it but still cached on Google.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 27 January 2018, 09:53 AM   #27
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=576307

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=576375

Lots of accusations. Anyone can impersonate anyone else.

This may not be straightforward to get to the actual bottom of, but in the meantime it is Thathorologist who has to prove himself.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:55 AM   #28
Thathorologist1
Banned

Mods are aware of Nerry or the account owner reports both same person he had it hard for me...
he uses proxy .
Old 27 January 2018, 09:57 AM   #29
Thathorologist1
Banned

Actually we saved a person from getting scammed out of 17k thanks to my thread I sent pms to lolex and Nerry was Banned...
Im not sure what to make of this...
Old 27 January 2018, 10:03 AM   #30
Thathorologist1
Banned

Mods, I suspect Correy Heffren (Nerry or Reports) has gained access to my account or is impersonating me. He uses proxy so it could really be anybody...
My previous account is banned and I don’t know what precautions to take please advise what is needed from my on my side so we can clear this out.
I have never had any intentions to scam anyone nor have I ever Purchased or finalized a deal on TRF