The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
snaggle

Watch: SubC, DJII, Omegas
Rolex Sky-Dweller will NEVER be in Stainless Steel

Well, I've seen a lot of talk mentioning "When the SKD is in SS, ill buy it, etc..." And it seems to me that quite a few people think its possible that the SKD will be produced in SS.

Point of the fact is, it will never happen. For many reasons. I am 100% sure, but hard to explain exactly why, but ill try my best.

#1. The SKD has a fluted bezel. Fluted is ALWAYS precious metal - no such thing as SS fluted bezel. So for starters, the least it could possible be is SS with WG bezel.

#2 The SKD could be considered as Rolexes "Grand complications" And the new benchmark or flagship model of Rolex, so if they were to introduce it in SS, they would do it for the Day Date first, then the SKD.

#3 Do you really think Rolex would make a watch with those complications in SS?

#4 If it were in SS (keep in mind it must have a WG bezel at least) it would be VERY similar in looks to the DateJust II, very similar. This would consider it to be a competitor or comparable to the DJII - wont work good for marketing - I can't really explain this point really well but if you know/ studied marketing very well, you will know this automatically. (Basically, either spend $30-$50k for the SKD, or whatever it will cost, or if you want it in SS, then buy the DJII, and tough luck)

#5 Back to the part of flagship model being the SKD. If Rolex were to make it in SS, it would depreciate its imagine or "degrade" would be the appropriate word, and again - its to do with marketing, won't look good for the SKD.

#6 Very important point : If it were in SS, then it will look almost IDENTICAL to the WG model - again, no way this will work out for marketing - nobody will buy the WG. Same reason why they wont make a SS BLUE Submariner.

Basically the same reasons why the DD/DDII is only produced in precious metal - you will never see a SS DD/DDII, same for the SKD, it won't happen.

Im not trying to break anyones hopes if they thought it would come out in SS. Im just stating the obvious. (Im a marketing guy and do have interest in this too )
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well speaking for myself if it was made from brass and a very good price I would doubt if it would be on my list of must have,its fine movement but not my style of watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 07:22 PM   #3
snaggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well speaking for myself if it was made from brass and a very good price I would doubt if it would be on my list of must have,its fine movement but not my style of watch.
Well, it also depends on price too IMO. I really like the Sky Dweller. But is it worth 30-50k to me? Definitely not. With that money I would buy myself a nice YG DDII. Or a Gold sub, or Daytona, or...
Old 8 March 2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

that's probably the way it should be, too. it's a great movement, haute horlogerie. and, as such, it's a bauble that elevates the entire brand. nothing wrong with having different levels of watch movements.....

kind of begs the question, though, as to what the heck cellini is for.

what would be the SS price, anyway? 15K? 20K? this watch is not meant to be a 7/8K watch competing with DJIIs and submariners.

and, so, i come back to one of my major gripes - the name. i wish they hadn't burned a name like "sky-dweller" on such a "precious" model. too bad for other future models that might have fit the name better, and too bad for today's watch, which isn't a "sports" model.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Well, I've seen a lot of talk mentioning "When the SKD is in SS, ill buy it, etc..." And it seems to me that quite a few people think its possible that the SKD will be produced in SS.

Point of the fact is, it will never happen. For many reasons. I am 100% sure, but hard to explain exactly why, but ill try my best.

#1. The SKD has a fluted bezel. Fluted is ALWAYS precious metal - no such thing as SS fluted bezel. So for starters, the least it could possible be is SS with WG bezel.

#2 The SKD could be considered as Rolexes "Grand complications" And the new benchmark or flagship model of Rolex, so if they were to introduce it in SS, they would do it for the Day Date first, then the SKD.

#3 Do you really think Rolex would make a watch with those complications in SS?

#4 If it were in SS (keep in mind it must have a WG bezel at least) it would be VERY similar in looks to the DateJust II, very similar. This would consider it to be a competitor or comparable to the DJII - wont work good for marketing - I can't really explain this point really well but if you know/ studied marketing very well, you will know this automatically. (Basically, either spend $30-$50k for the SKD, or whatever it will cost, or if you want it in SS, then buy the DJII, and tough luck)

#5 Back to the part of flagship model being the SKD. If Rolex were to make it in SS, it would depreciate its imagine or "degrade" would be the appropriate word, and again - its to do with marketing, won't look good for the SKD.

#6 Very important point : If it were in SS, then it will look almost IDENTICAL to the WG model - again, no way this will work out for marketing - nobody will buy the WG. Same reason why they wont make a SS BLUE Submariner.

Basically the same reasons why the DD/DDII is only produced in precious metal - you will never see a SS DD/DDII, same for the SKD, it won't happen.

Im not trying to break anyones hopes if they thought it would come out in SS. Im just stating the obvious. (Im a marketing guy and do have interest in this too )
IMO Rolex aimed the SKD at the Stainless steel market but released it in gold because they always 'do this'.

I'll buy you lunch if I'm wrong.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 07:30 PM   #6
snaggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
that's probably the way it should be, too. it's a great movement, haute horlogerie. and, as such, it's a bauble that elevates the entire brand. nothing wrong with having different levels of watch movements.....

kind of begs the question, though, as to what the heck cellini is for.

what would be the SS price, anyway? 15K? 20K? this watch is not meant to be a 7/8K watch competing with DJIIs and submariners.

and, so, i come back to one of my major gripes - the name. i wish they hadn't burned a name like "sky-dweller" on such a "precious" model. too bad for other future models that might have fit the name better, and too bad for today's watch, which isn't a "sports" model.

Yea, those are some good points.

I would also imagine it would cost $15-20k "if" it were in SS...
Old 8 March 2012, 07:59 PM   #7
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
DJ comes in fluted bezel and SS.
How do you explain this against your point that "fluted bezel always come with precious metal"?

There is SS Daytona and there is WG Daytona (the face is different). How does this sit with your suggestion that SS will not be produced because it will be too similar to the WG. Rolex may still produce the SKD in SS with a different face.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
I certainly hope the watch is never made in anything but precious metals, just as I hope the same for the DDII!
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 10:29 PM   #9
ROLEX MAN

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
What are they smoking..............

This "THING" makes me ashamed of wearing "ROLEX"

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
If I was choosing between a DDII and this, it would definatly be this!

It has a unique character to the name and the features are also unique. Very classy indeed.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
To each their own.....that's why different models are made...so we have choices!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 11:29 PM   #12
212kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Date Just
SKD the complication is super cool and the new angel of which Rolex is going to with this watch is great. However the presentation not that hot looks like a DJII with a retrofitted dial off a newer Yacht-Master! But again I really do like what the watch has to offer in its complication but not sure I would dive into such a think so soon. If it does come out in ss and looks better then I would certainly think about it.
212kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 12:17 AM   #13
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABreathAway View Post
I certainly hope the watch is never made in anything but precious metals, just as I hope the same for the DDII!
I must agree...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 12:24 AM   #14
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

X2

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 12:26 AM   #15
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
How do you explain this against your point that "fluted bezel always come with precious metal"?

There is SS Daytona and there is WG Daytona (the face is different). How does this sit with your suggestion that SS will not be produced because it will be too similar to the WG. Rolex may still produce the SKD in SS with a different face.
I agree. It's highly likely they will produce this model in SS in the years to come.
RedBaronF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 12:41 AM   #16
deej
"TRF" Member

I think the Sky-Dweller is for the same market as the DD2... Just my 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 01:03 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I don't think that we will see a Stainless version either.. but I don't need all those bullets....

All I need to do is look at the YM II. The same mechanical-computer style movement and we didn't see a Stainless version of it; so I believe that the S-D will stay in that same niche..

If anybody wants a dual time watch in Stainless, they have the GMT.

I could be wrong, but it will be several years before we know for sure..
Old 9 March 2012, 01:37 AM   #18
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Rolex has made in the past complications in SS

What I do not understand is how they retail let's say $8.000
for their X... SS model and $30.000 for the same model in 18k.

The difference of their cost between 200 grams of steel
and 200 grams of gold is extraterestrial...yet the retail price
is only 3.5 times more money for the same model in Gold ?
I guess buying a Gold Rolex is a better deal..?
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 01:50 AM   #19
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
Rolex has made in the past complications in SS

What I do not understand is how they retail let's say $8.000
for their X... SS model and $30.000 for the same model in 18k.

The difference of their cost between 200 grams of steel
and 200 grams of gold is extraterestrial...yet the retail price
is only 3.5 times more money for the same model in Gold ?
I guess buying a Gold Rolex is a better dea
l..?
Funny, I was thinking the same thing...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 03:20 AM   #20
A.J.R.
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBC, DJII
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
This "THING" makes me ashamed of wearing "ROLEX"
If you are so ashamed send your Rolex to me.
Old 9 March 2012, 03:26 AM   #21
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

JLC offers a stainless steel tourbillon & perpetual calendar, so perhaps there is a market for high complications in steel.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 03:32 AM   #22
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Good points, but never say never. Re WG sub i would disagree-- it's a totally different watch than the SS, but appreciated only in person, on the wrist, below the radar.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 03:49 AM   #23
britincali
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600,16570,6098
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

X1000339093003

1951 Waffle dial 6098
https://www.facebook.com/LlwynFfynnon
britincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 03:54 AM   #24
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 04:09 AM   #25
snaggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post

I said fluted is always made out of precious metals. Im talking about the BEZEL itself. There is no FLUTED BEZEL that is made out of steel. Again, im not talking about the watch, just the bezel. All fluted bezels are made out of precious metal.

As for the WG Daytona, the dials are completely different, and it is very easy to distinguish.
Old 9 March 2012, 04:25 AM   #26
general
"TRF" Member

SKD will be available in SS when DD and DDII come in SS.
general is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 11:57 AM   #27
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

I am very interested to see how this watch performs from a sales perspective...
Although I will sit this one out.

I have never agreed with the idea that Rolex is a blue collar watch...

But at the same time, I would suspect that it is not the watch of choice for the watch snobs looking for grand complications...

I have a relative who works in the automobile retail industry... And he will often see people adding features to a toyota until the price exceeds that of a Lexus... At which point he will advise them that they have priced themselves into a different class of car...

This is my approach to watches... If I was going to spend Patek money, I'd get a Patek.
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 12:06 PM   #28
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by deej View Post
I think the Sky-Dweller is for the same market as the DD2... Just my 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're absolutely right. I love my DDII, and I really like the Sky Dweller and will own it if offered in YG Romans.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 12:13 PM   #29
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Don't see a S-D coming in stainless, any sooner than the DDII. These pieces are precious metal all the way. But the S-D ought to be available in Platinum…where is that?

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 01:34 PM   #30
zhiunit
"TRF" Member

Watch: grandseiko sbgj001
the fluted bezel on SS datejusts ARE white gold, the rest of the watch is in SS but the bezel is white gold
-Grand Seiko SBGJ001
zhiunit is offline   Reply With Quote