The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2007, 02:09 AM   #1
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
SS Oyster Braclet wear/tear question:

When purchased brand new, how long does it generally take for one to see signs of stretching/warping of the pin in the links of a 904L SS Oyster braclet?

I'm assuming it isn't the links that are stretching, but rather the pins/screws that hold the links together that are bending under wear-stress.

Which would promote faster braclet stretching, a braclet that is tighter around the wrist or one that has more slack?

Has anyone here ever heard of a Rolex SS oyster braclet snapping from ordinary (general day-to-day) wear or is the worst that usually happens is that the braclet is just stretched out and warped to the point where it's ugly and a new braclet is in order?
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 02:17 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
When purchased brand new, how long does it generally take for one to see signs of stretching/warping of the pin in the links of a 904L SS Oyster braclet?

I'm assuming it isn't the links that are stretching, but rather the pins/screws that hold the links together that are bending under wear-stress.

Which would promote faster braclet stretching, a braclet that is tighter around the wrist or one that has more slack?

Has anyone here ever heard of a Rolex SS oyster braclet snapping from ordinary (general day-to-day) wear or is the worst that usually happens is that the braclet is just stretched out and warped to the point where it's ugly and a new braclet is in order?

Well never heard of any Rolex bracelet snapping,perhaps the weakest link the lug pins with a very heavy load could give way.And I am 100% sure that by normal wearing and a bit of extreme wearing will not stretch break any Rolex bracelet.Have few oyster bracelets over 20 plus years old still no stretch,and as good as the day first bought,a few scratches yes but thats down to normal daily wearing.But all the oyster SS bracelets should last 20 -30 years with very little maintenance or repair.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 03:51 AM   #3
OysterDavid
Banned

Panning for a failed future

It continues to amaze me that Rolex owners, buyers and potential buyers are worried about the lifespan of an oyster or jubilee bracelet.

Afterall, this is Rolex. These are 'lifetime' watches. Throughout the world, owners of Rolex timepieces often die before their watch does.

One would really have to wear a Rolex daily in an abusive manner, subjecting the watch and bracelet to such stresses as jackhammering, tree cutting with an axe, placing one's wrist and arm in moving machinery or constantly banging the watch against hard objects, all the while, pulling and tugging on the bracelet while wearing it in order to significantly shorten the lifespan of a Rolex bracelet.

Granted, over time, there is likely to be a bit of stretch in either bracelet, but when I use the term 'over time' I'm talking decades of 'normal' day to day use.

I have a 31 year old Date with Oyster and although not worn daily, it once was. It shows only minimal stretch. I have an 18 year old gold Date with Oyster, and also not worn daily, shows no stretch. I bought a preowned gold Jubilee that is probably 25-30 years old, and although it had some stretch and I sent it off to Asia for refurbishing, that was mainly because of my small wrist size. If my wrist were larger, or if it had just one more removable link, then the bracelet would have functioned just fine for another decade or so without tightening the pins.

So, unless you're about to embark on a job where your limbs are going into harm's way, I don't think you need to lose any sleep over the potential life of a Rolex bracelet.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Very well said, David. I definitely consider my Rolex watches a lifetime investment. I'm positive that since I have no children, the estate sales people will have a field day after my death with the clutch of pristine watches!!!
Old 24 February 2007, 03:57 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good post, David.....the Oyster bracelet is one tough mother. I've said this before and say it again....you could suspend a 200 pound man from it and it would still hold.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 03:59 AM   #6
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Either fit (tight or loose) can cause premature wear.
In a bracelet that is designed to wear for decades... what's premature? 30-40 years?
By the way, I'm unfamiliar with a 904L designation for an oyster bracelet... what watch is this on?

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 04:01 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
Either fit (tight or loose) can cause premature wear. I'm unfamiliar with a 904L designation for an oyster bracelet... what watch is this on?
Tony,

ALL SS Rolex bracelets are made of 904L steel!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 04:23 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Rolex uses 904L also 316L but the myth of the "special Rolex steel" comes up frequently. An employee of Rolex said in 2002: Quote.

At the moment, we have several companies all over the world, serving our needs for stainless steel. The watch cases and bracelets are all mainly made of X2CrNiMo17-12-2 which is the best compromise between the attributes of the variant materials. As usual, the steel is melted under vacuum, so we get an very pure base, which is easy to handle and allows an perfect polishing. I think, the same procedure as in every good (expensive gold) company,and now X2CrNiMo17-12-2 is used for parts than come into skin contact

One of those providers is http://www.boehler-thyssen.ch/

Rolex does use indeed Steel 904L, but only for parts that are not in direct contact to the skin. 904 has a higher amount of Nickel than 316, so it is used for parts such as case ring bars screws pins etc.

X2CrNiMo17-12-2 is the formula for 316L SS.

Now perhaps this has changed,but I would doubt.Don't think Rolex would put anything on sale that could possible
cause a allergy without some sort of warning on label.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 05:51 AM   #9
tonelar
"TRF" Member

thanks JJ & Padi.... so basically it's a name (or part number) for the type of SS. Interesting... looks like the amounts (proportions) that vary are mostly the carbon and nickel in the alloy.

Old 24 February 2007, 08:38 AM   #10
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
It continues to amaze me that Rolex owners, buyers and potential buyers are worried about the lifespan of an oyster or jubilee bracelet.

Afterall, this is Rolex. These are 'lifetime' watches. Throughout the world, owners of Rolex timepieces often die before their watch does.

One would really have to wear a Rolex daily in an abusive manner, subjecting the watch and bracelet to such stresses as jackhammering, tree cutting with an axe, placing one's wrist and arm in moving machinery or constantly banging the watch against hard objects, all the while, pulling and tugging on the bracelet while wearing it in order to significantly shorten the lifespan of a Rolex bracelet.

Granted, over time, there is likely to be a bit of stretch in either bracelet, but when I use the term 'over time' I'm talking decades of 'normal' day to day use.

I have a 31 year old Date with Oyster and although not worn daily, it once was. It shows only minimal stretch. I have an 18 year old gold Date with Oyster, and also not worn daily, shows no stretch. I bought a preowned gold Jubilee that is probably 25-30 years old, and although it had some stretch and I sent it off to Asia for refurbishing, that was mainly because of my small wrist size. If my wrist were larger, or if it had just one more removable link, then the bracelet would have functioned just fine for another decade or so without tightening the pins.

So, unless you're about to embark on a job where your limbs are going into harm's way, I don't think you need to lose any sleep over the potential life of a Rolex bracelet.
I can understand your frustration towards me with regards to my question, but I believe that consumer's have been "conditioned" over the years to "just accept" sub-standard made products pumped out in mass quantities from the likes of countries such as "Made in Taiwan, Made in China", etc that when it comes to "exceptional quality", people tend not to believe the "hype" anymore when a company claims their watches can "Outlast your lifetime".

I've only had my SD for a month now so I'm curious to see just how valid Rolex's claims are that their watches really are top-of-the-line. I, like most people, are a little apprehensive when a company like Rolex states their watch will last a lifetime, as maybe to Rolex, a lifetime is only 20 years.

Please bare with us "new folks".
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 08:54 AM   #11
tonelar
"TRF" Member

No worries, Kris. That's what having a Rolex is all about. Not having a thing to worry about...

The SD is such a great watch...

here's mine (8 years old)... just back from a service. I abuse the poor thing and it keeps coming back for more.

Old 24 February 2007, 09:37 AM   #12
Tommer

my lug pins has come loose once and the watch has come completely off my wrist, till this day i don't know how that happened but luckily i was wearing a long sleeve that day, i panic for a brief seconds when i can’t feel the watch on my wrist, this happened only once during my 12 years period.
Tommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2007, 09:50 AM   #13
mike
"TRF" Member

It's been said by those I consider very knowledgeable, and my own experience, bracelet stretch is caused by dirt and contaminates more than anything. Keep it clean. Wash it out on occassion and it will last a long time.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 04:19 PM   #14
6up
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought a preowned gold Jubilee that is probably 25-30 years old, and although it had some stretch and I sent it off to Asia for refurbishing....
.......how much did it cost?
6up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 04:40 PM   #15
vdave

Watch: Oyster DT & GMT II
All new rolexes use 904L steel according to Rolex's website unless it means that only the oyster case is made up of 904L.
vdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 07:33 PM   #16
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Check out this thread from Nick Hacko:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=16195
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2007, 12:09 AM   #17
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
I personally don't mind a bit of "stretch" in the bracelet especially in the jubilee. I removed two links from the oyster fliplock on my old GMT which had been replaced maybe 15 years ago. I was surprised at the dirt on the pins as I washed the watch regularly with mild soap and water. I'm sure I will never have to worry about bracelets on either of my new watches. It would be interesting though to know what Rolex considers "a lifetime". My financial guy told me I had enough money to last the rest of my life. Provided I don't overdo the living part!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 11:16 PM   #18
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
edit

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2007, 11:57 PM   #19
pol
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date/SS Sub
One of my watches is a SS oyster date that is now about 45 years old...I have noticed a bit of wear in the pins near the clasp. I think it is now time for some repair. It was my grandfathers and fathers...they wore it everyday in just about everything that they did. I think 45 years with daily wear is pretty dang good.
pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 02:42 AM   #20
pol
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date/SS Sub
***Sorry, double post*****

Last edited by pol; 11 September 2007 at 06:58 AM..
pol is offline   Reply With Quote