The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 28 January 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
AD vs TRF for first-time purchase.

Hey guys, I’ve been saving for my first (and only) Rolex purchase for a few months now and am about halfway there. After debating between a classic Sub and Sub-C , I have my heart set on the ceramic.

As I’ve gotten closer to being able to make my purchase, I’ve been dropping by a few ADs in my area to just “test the waters” and get a general idea of what I’ll be having to shell out cash-wise, as well as trying on the various watches that have sparked my interest.

It seems that prices on TRF are better when making comparisons to the AD. Not drastically better, but definitely more appealing. Unfortunately, when I talk “discounts” with the ADs, they offer nothing. In fact, they offer no real incentive for me to purchase other than the usual sales scare tactic about “prices going up next week” and discussing their financing option if I wanted to go that route instead of paying all at once (which is my preferred method). I find their refusal to mildly negotiate to be a little unusual, but have been told that unless you’re a regular, don’t expect to walk in and get any accommodations. Although, maybe the fact that I admit that I’m still in the process of saving and not showing up with the intent to purchase right then and there doesn’t give them the motivation to attempt to work with me.

It seems that TRF is the way to go if you’re wanting to get the best price, although I’m wondering, are there any disadvantages to this? If a seller is reputable and the price is right, why would I bother spending a little more at an AD? The warranty (provided it’s available) should still be intact and transferable, right? Does it really just boil down to not being able to run to the AD where I purchased it if problems were to arise?

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to purchase when I hit 7K – which seems doable when I frequently browse TRF. At a local AD in my area? Not so doable. Is it really worth the extra dollar to go with an AD and pay their full price? Hell, the sales tax alone makes me want to hurl!
alettiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:24 PM   #2
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Hi -
You can get a brand new Rolex...with your name on the card...from the trusted sellers here. All warranties are in place in any case. Any Rolex Service centre will service and deal with any Rolex watch..bought from an associated/attached AD or not.

If it were me - I'd go with the trusted sellers here..without doubt. I didn't on my 1st purchases..but have had 5 transactions since and saved a lot of money.

Sounds like you're well on your way to the SubC....!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Xpert37

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Hi -
You can get a brand new Rolex...with your name on the card...from the trusted sellers here. All warranties are in place in any case. Any Rolex Service centre will service and deal with any Rolex watch..bought from an associated/attached AD or not.

If it were me - I'd go with the trusted sellers here..without doubt. I didn't on my 1st purchases..but have had 5 transactions since and saved a lot of money.

Just curious how you can buy a brand new Rolex from a trusted seller here with a warranty card stamped with your name and the name of the AD?? To me, a trusted seller of Rolex on this forum is a grey dealer (unless they are ADs themselves).

So can someone explain how you can get a valid warranty card from one of the trusted seller here? For Rolex, at least RSC NY only recognizes the watch's original owner. RSC Dallas is different however.
Xpert37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 02:28 AM   #4
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Hi -

X2.
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Skip Greenwade
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many to List!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Is it really worth the extra dollar to go with an AD and pay their full price?
Nope...I have never purchased from an AD and can't imagine a situation where I would. The last watch I bought was purchased from a seller here at TRF. I got an amazing deal on the watch, so much so that I was able to fly to LA to do the deal in person and still come out thousands of dollars ahead.

TRF For Sale Forum all the way

Best,
Skip
Skip Greenwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
What's in it for some of these guys though? The regular sellers on here who have great reps and are constantly selling watches for good prices? How do they turn a profit? Do they just have THAT good of a connection with an AD to where they can acquire things for lower prices?
alettiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:46 PM   #7
m5blitzer

Watch: Enough is enough!!
Quote:
What's in it for some of these guys though? The regular sellers on here who have great reps and are constantly selling watches for good prices? How do they turn a profit? Do they just have THAT good of a connection with an AD to where they can acquire things for lower prices?
This is why a free working economy is the perfect model for success.

SUPPLY (anywhere in the country) meets DEMAND (here on TRF) = a great deal for the lucky buyer.
m5blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 03:15 AM   #8
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Quote:
I have to admit I have often wondered this myself.

I am not trying to start a fire here but... I also wonder how non ADs continually come across brand spanking new Rolexes that are still wrapped in the box with stickers, open warranty cards, etc....?

Contrary to many reported experiences I have a pretty good relationship with an AD. It a jeweler that my wife & I have a long history with beyond just watches (ie engagement ring, etc...) Anyway, as a result I have learned a bit over the years about Rolex policies. As far as I know an AD would lose their license if they were caught selling inventory to a non retail customer. Part of the buying process includes the AD filling out your warranty card. That is done so that the buyer is covered but it also provides the AD proof of retail sale if it is ever needed.

So what channels are these brand new watches coming through? Again, I am not challenging anyone's integrity here just seeking to understand.

Of course this post will probably get flamed
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:39 PM   #9
tanndonn
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP II, 243, PO
Learn the trusted, reputable sellers here. Spend time in the sales forum educating yourself on who sells what and how often, you'll find some with what seem to be better selections than an AD. Don't be afraid to message people here who have purchased from the site.
tanndonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:41 PM   #10
m5blitzer

I know I am going to swim against the waves in this crowd but my first Rolex (V serial DD II WG) was purchased from a local AD. Why?

I did the math and there was no appreciable savings going through one of the trusted sellers I was working with. It was a non brainer to get it locally after seeing the watch for myself.

With that said, if the difference is even 1% more at the AD, I will definitely go with a trusted seller because of their proven reputation here. So, do the math and make that call yourself.

Good luck!
Old 28 January 2011, 01:53 PM   #11
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Even if you are dealing with a trusted seller, there is more risk in the deal compared to purchasing from an AD.

If you don't want to take any chances with your $7K, and there is minimal price difference, an AD might make sense.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:58 PM   #12
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
If you've got cash in hand, I don't see how they can justify turning you down for a discount of 3% or whatever a credit card costs them, but in any case, I'd buy off the trusted sellers here rather than at an AD if I was buying new.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:10 PM   #13
indeuce
"TRF" Member

useful topic

i had the exact same question as the OP with regards to my first rolex purchase. both my GO and Sinn were purchased at AD's, though for the Sinn it was online.

i've been perusing the sales forum on here and at watchnet regularly for the last week or so and i have a good idea of who the more trusted sellers are, but they haven't been offering what i've been looking for: the 116000 with black/orange circles. i am hoping to get BNIB.

decisions decisions.
indeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:13 PM   #14
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Against the grain here too...

Your first Rolex should without a doubt be from an AD... go get the AD experience, the royal treatment, the champagne, the Thank you card........and on and on and on...

It is a great experience and just makes it all that more special IMO

YES, there are NUMEROUS great sellers here on TRF but save that for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rolex purchase and so on... trust me this will NOT be your "one and only". If you have already found TRF there will be many more
Old 28 January 2011, 02:17 PM   #15
m5blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post

YES, there are NUMEROUS great sellers here on TRF but save that for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rolex purchase and so on... trust me this will NOT be your "one and only". If you have already found TRF there will be many more
Yes, that crystal ball into the future is very predicable.
Old 28 January 2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
The only AD I'd ever buy from is called DavidSW.

Just my two cents.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 09:16 PM   #17
cjnesher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongkelley View Post

Just my two cents.
X 2!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my sub c from David. He was more knowledgeable then
Any AD I've visited in FL. We did a face to face and he adjusted
The bracelet on the spot. Can't wait to buy my next watch from him!!
Good luck on your journey. One thing is for sure, you're going to love
The Sub-C.
Old 28 January 2011, 09:18 PM   #18
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:

Just my two cents.
you meant to say..... GD?

just my 2 pennies worth.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 04:30 AM   #19
solesik
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just my two cents.
x2
solesik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 09:14 PM   #20
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:

Your first Rolex should without a doubt be from an AD... go get the AD experience, the royal treatment, the champagne, the Thank you card........and on and on and on...

It is a great experience and just makes it all that more special IMO

totally agree!

the AD experience is priceless (when you get a nice one that is), especially for your first Rolex. yes, the saving can be better from the trusted sellers, but the lack of face to face/being in a brick and mortar shop outweighs it.... imo of course.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:05 PM   #21
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I hear this often, and I must be missing a responsive gene or something. I never feel ANYTHING when I'm paying someone to be nice to me... Not even for a moment do I think "Wow, champagne... They must really like me!". It seems so obvious..."I am overpaying by $XXX so they are dribbling $y back on me to numb the pain of overpayment... I am paying them to act friendly."

But then again, my wife has pointed out that I'm part of the .1% that dislikes lingerie, so I must be the oddball on this one too.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:55 AM   #22
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I hear this often, and I must be missing a responsive gene or something. I never feel ANYTHING when I'm paying someone to be nice to me... Not even for a moment do I think "Wow, champagne... They must really like me!". It seems so obvious..."I am overpaying by $XXX so they are dribbling $y back on me to numb the pain of overpayment... I am paying them to act friendly."

But then again, my wife has pointed out that I'm part of the .1% that dislikes lingerie, so I must be the oddball on this one too.
I agree with you. I also don't need someone pretending they appreciate me. I saved nearly $3500 on my first Rolex going through a Grey Dealer on here. I don't think someone kissing your butt and a glass of champagne is worth $3500. I can buy a whole lot of Champagne for that.

I have saved enough money on my four purchases from here that I could buy another Rolex and still have money left over.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 08:11 AM   #23
AIKO
"TRF" Member

You cannot lose either way. I have dealt with TRF (DavidSw) and happend to find the best deal from my AD last week on my Sub LV ceramic. They quoted me much lower prices than I have seen on the boards. But that may be because I paid w/cash bought a pair of expensive earings from them for my wife.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:27 PM   #24
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:

Your first Rolex should without a doubt be from an AD
I'm with you on this. If it is your first and only purchase, go for an AD. I'm not trying to knock the sellers here, i'm sure they are great, but there is something to be said about the dealer service and also the peace of mind on the watch you bought. It may cost more, but it is worth it!

In contrast, I will only ever buy from an AD so my opinion may well be one sided. To me, you can't put a price on knowing that you are the first and only owner of a genuine watch that has not been through various (and often unknown) hands to get to you.
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:55 PM   #25
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea View Post
I'm with you on this. If it is your first and only purchase, go for an AD. I'm not trying to knock the sellers here, i'm sure they are great, but there is something to be said about the dealer service and also the peace of mind on the watch you bought. It may cost more, but it is worth it!

In contrast, I will only ever buy from an AD so my opinion may well be one sided. To me, you can't put a price on knowing that you are the first and only owner of a genuine watch that has not been through various (and often unknown) hands to get to you.
I agree. For the very first I'd go to an AD, but don't settle for a minor discount.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:41 AM   #26
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
Quote:

To me, these perks just don't justify the thousands of dollars more you're likely to pay at an AD. Save your money and go with one of the trusted sellers here and buy your own champagne. You can splurge and buy a bottle of Dom Perignon (which is a much higher quality bottle than the dealer will open for you) and still save a bunch in the long run.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:44 AM   #27
m5blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarn View Post
Save your money and go with one of the trusted sellers here and buy your own champagne. You can splurge and buy a bottle of Dom Perignon (which is a much higher quality bottle than the dealer will open for you) and still save a bunch here.
What is there is no money to be saved with a trusted seller and the AD throws in the Dom Perignon to boot?? Don't get me wrong - just always keep your options open!
Old 29 January 2011, 03:19 AM   #28
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post

I dont think the AD likes me either I have received discounts from AD's in the 30%+ range and I am NOT talking about new old stock... I am talking BNIB V and Random serial watches, both SS (24% off was my max) and TT (32% off was my max)... Where is there a better deal than this??? Where??? Buying from an AD is tops, the champagne is even better IMO but I dont even drink alcohol... Why not have someone give me the royal treatment, get a 30%+ discount, no tax and some free goodies...am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
If you paid one of the TRF sellers full MSRP instead of their discounted rates, I'm sure they'd be willing to take you to dinner/strip club/Disney land and send a thank you card.

I would NEVER pay full price, If that was the trade off I would always go grey but this is unfortunately not the case... Lets face it folks the economy stinks and if you have ANY negotiation skills you can easilly get 10-15% off from an AD 15-30% if you are great... if one says no just ask another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarn View Post
To me, these perks just don't justify the thousands of dollars more you're likely to pay at an AD. Save your money and go with one of the trusted sellers here and buy your own champagne. You can splurge and buy a bottle of Dom Perignon (which is a much higher quality bottle than the dealer will open for you) and still save a bunch in the long run.
Actually I would lose $$$ if I had bought my last few watches grey not to mention no goodies...champagne... The Ad's I deal with I have bought about 12 watches from (combined) in the last 12 months... it is set pricing, no haggeling... I get the discount I am looking for, dont pay tax and the goodies to boot... Sounds better than waiting for a Fed Ex to me.

Again, there are AWESOME sellers here I dont mean to slam anyone, I have bought several watches here on TRF because frankly my AD cannot get me a Pepsi... Sd... or the like. The OP's question was for his first Rolex should they go to an AD and I say YES! Find a good AD that will give you a good discount and you can do just as good as TRF. Build a relationship, buy some watches from them over they years and you will beat TRF... Thats what the TRF sellers have is AMAZING relationships with AD's thats why they can offer such amazing deals to all of us
Old 28 January 2011, 02:10 PM   #29
psv
"TRF" Member

I love doing business w/ the trusted TRF sellers but sometimes an AD can do even better price. I recently picked up a SubC at AD for less than I see it going for here.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 02:32 PM   #30
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

One more vote for the trusted sellers.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote