The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 February 2017, 02:51 AM   #1
koz123
"TRF" Member

Vacheron Constantin Historiques Cornes de Vache 1955 Edition For Hodinkee

What do you guys think?

I love it.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/va...n-for-hodinkee
Old 10 February 2017, 03:18 AM   #2
2focus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 116900
not a big price difference from the precious metal versions though. i guess it was the hodinkee premium.
2focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 03:19 AM   #3
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

In the same camp as you. I love it! The color of the dial, the case is SS is a huge plus imo, love how long the counterbalance of the chrono seconds hand... list goes on.

Now, if I could just find a spare 45k ;D
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 04:14 AM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

beautiful looking watch
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 04:55 AM   #5
archer75
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-AP- FPJ
Expensive for a steel version, i think the premium for future investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 05:10 AM   #6
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

It looks amazing. The regular 1955 looks great as well.

I'm glad they set up a process and will contact the people who want one, so it doesn't go to people who will flip it or watch dealers. These watches are definitely creating a hype in the watch world.

And the same thing will definitely happen (already happened probably) with the latest Speedy Tuesday release with Omega and Robert-Jan Broer. People just buy it to flip it.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 05:30 AM   #7
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Love the design and SS case. If we go by what Zenith did- we should see a non-limited version in the next few months with a different colour and a lower or similar price!

Can't wait to see more high end watches in SS this year.
Old 10 February 2017, 06:04 AM   #8
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Love the design and SS case. If we go by what Zenith did- we should see a non-limited version in the next few months with a different colour and a lower or similar price!

Can't wait to see more high end watches in SS this year.
I think the Hodinkee Zenith version was borderline dishonest. In this case the actual watch already exists although only in gold and pt. I too would like to see more steel watches, with the new CEO of VC, who knows?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 06:13 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Spectacular In every detail and my favorite of the 3 released so far.

I would love to have one.

Old 10 February 2017, 06:51 AM   #10
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Beautiful but too much Hodinkeeium in the pricing for what is a ss watch. Let's see if VC release a production version in ss next year at SIHH that is more reasonably priced.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 07:58 AM   #11
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I really like it.. I love the dial and I love the presentation of the caliber on the backside.. Really well done
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 08:16 AM   #12
metdrdg
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDayt, 5711, 5170
Beautiful watch but I think it's priced too high. I have a patek 5170G white dial which I got for similar price point (granted it was preowned but like new condition). Similar but the patek is in white gold and the pushers seem better.
metdrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 08:40 AM   #13
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

In agreement with most, I love this watch. It seems like a really nice execution from the photos, subtle dial colour and (something I prefer) a pulsation scale.

Who knows where the price will be in the future or indeed if VC will release a production model in steel. I definitely didn't have enough confidence in the potential resale value to plonk down the $45k. If I had any conviction in this holding at least 90-95% of its value a few years down the road then I would have seriously thought hard about pulling the trigger.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 01:49 PM   #14
cervantes
"TRF" Member

The watch itself is lovely. But the price is very close to the platinum and RG versions. And those don't have Hodinkee on the case back. In all seriousness, I understand why Hodinkee would go forward with this but struggle to see why VC, one of the most prestigious maisons, would produce a watch in collaboration with Hodinkee that is so close to their original watch. Just put out a grey dialed version.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 05:28 PM   #15
capote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
I understand why Hodinkee would go forward with this but struggle to see why VC, one of the most prestigious maisons, would produce a watch in collaboration with Hodinkee that is so close to their original watch. Just put out a grey dialed version.
I agree, can't stand co-branding, with a watch blog no less.
Old 10 February 2017, 02:23 PM   #16
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I like it too but not 45k like

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 02:56 PM   #17
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Overall a very nice watch, but I don't care for the lug design. I also don't really like the idea of a "Hodinkee limited edition" anything.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 08:11 PM   #18
regnant
"TRF" Member

This corners de vache reminds me of la vache qui rit a cheddar cheese �� . This is not I would like to say. Angelus must be first if not predated watch brand to ever incorporate that kind of stylish lugs in their watch. Funny thing, it was Hodinkee to let me know about that particular watch model.
Old 10 February 2017, 09:49 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the look of the watch but the price seems way off for a SS model. I also don't like co-branding. There are a lot of watches on the market at 45k that I would purchase before I would give this watch a look.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 10:45 PM   #20
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like the look of the watch but the price seems way off for a SS model. I also don't like co-branding. There are a lot of watches on the market at 45k that I would purchase before I would give this watch a look.
Agree co branding and premium added are undesirable.
Dealing with richemont also undesirable.

Also agree it is difficult to know the depreciation on a modern VC.

However, I see a unique, great looking watch, extremely limited production, using a historic movement, put together in a very balanced & thoughtful design.

I can think of very little if any competition at that price point that I would prefer, unless I was shopping 20 years ago.

As far as the lugs, I would have to see it on the wrist to really know.

Ps I been wanting a dial that color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1997.jpg (121.8 KB, 265 views)
Old 11 February 2017, 12:22 AM   #21
yoast
"TRF" Member

Co branding
Richemont
Price
Size

Watch
Old 11 February 2017, 12:44 AM   #22
psv
"TRF" Member

I think the dial/color is spectacular, but I'm personally no fan of the teardrop lugs. YMMV.

$45K for ss case with a Lemania movement is crazy. It is all hype. They should have something like this, with straight lugs, in the regular rotation at the $25K mark. It is what the community wants.

Overall, one thing baffles me more than anything. This VC release, much like the Zenith Hodinkee collaboration, underlines the incompetency of the watch-making industry. How does it take a collab to come up with a good looking watch? Why arent' these watches in regular production? How f-ng hard can it be to know which direction the market is going and supply what it wants??? The entire industry has been moving to 38-40mm sized stainless steel chronographs and time-only watches in classic/muted design for the last 5 years. Yet the industry keeps churning out bling, over-complicated watches, or over-sized watches that very few people want. Anything good is made in limited edition (JLC, Lange, Patek, Zenith, etc) or with artificially low production numbers (Daytona 116500, BLNR). Either this is some type of cosmic joke or a large part of the watch industry is incompetent.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 12:53 AM   #23
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Overall, one thing baffles me more than anything. This VC release, much like the Zenith Hodinkee collaboration, underlines the incompetency of the watch-making industry. How does it take a collab to come up with a good looking watch? Why arent' these watches in regular production? How f-ng hard can it be to know which direction the market is going and supply what it wants??? The entire industry has been moving to 38-40mm sized stainless steel chronographs and time-only watches in classic/muted design for the last 5 years. Yet the industry keeps churning out bling, over-complicated watches, or over-sized watches that very few people want. Anything good is made in limited edition (JLC, Lange, Patek, Zenith, etc) or with artificially low production numbers (Daytona 116500, BLNR). Either this is some type of cosmic joke or a large part of the watch industry is incompetent.
I completely agree with this and have been thinking the same. As I remember it also took years for the majority of brands to catch up with the larger case size trend.
I think market research comes second to what so called overpaid marketing managers think people want.
Old 11 February 2017, 04:23 AM   #24
edo
"TRF" Member

Don't judge the entire watch industry by a few forum members and watch enthusiast around you... "we" are just a small 1-2-3% of the people who actually buy watches...

The most joked watch brand all over the net - Hublot is doing great with oversized, overblinged, overallyoucanadd watches... joked by few % of us and bought by another 90+%...
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 05:04 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by metdrdg View Post
Beautiful watch but I think it's priced too high. I have a patek 5170G white dial which I got for similar price point (granted it was preowned but like new condition). Similar but the patek is in white gold and the pushers seem better.
Agree I would much rather pony up the extra 10k and source a 5170. No brainer.

I do find this watch very attractive though I must say. That dial is

I guarantee we see the same watch with a different dial soon enough. Regular production.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 09:48 AM   #26
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Agree I would much rather pony up the extra 10k and source a 5170. No brainer.

I do find this watch very attractive though I must say. That dial is

I guarantee we see the same watch with a different dial soon enough. Regular production.
Was thinking the same about the 5170
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 02:03 PM   #27
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
I think the dial/color is spectacular, but I'm personally no fan of the teardrop lugs. YMMV.

$45K for ss case with a Lemania movement is crazy. It is all hype. They should have something like this, with straight lugs, in the regular rotation at the $25K mark. It is what the community wants.

took the words out of my mouth....
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 01:15 AM   #28
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hope they are reading. Well said

Then again, I'm not sure richemont can be saved?

Old 11 February 2017, 04:23 AM   #29
capote
"TRF" Member

Its already sold out. Pretty impressive all things considered.
Old 11 February 2017, 07:26 AM   #30
koz123
"TRF" Member

The more I look at it the more become infatuated with it however that being said I still prefer a 5170.