The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 March 2023, 06:59 AM   #1
sm84
"TRF" Member

Which refracts light more - Fluted or Diamond paved bezel?

Hi

I am trying to get an opinion on which bezel configuration refracts the most light or has the most bling.

The watch in consideration is a YG DD 40 with black dial and baguette Diamond markers. For this configuration, would the Diamond bezel or the fluted bezel refract the most light or has the higher bling factor.

It’s hard to get to have both versions side by side to make a decision.
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 07:09 AM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

factory diamond bezels are much more flashy
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 07:12 AM   #3
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Refracts or reflects? I believe an object has to be at least semi-transparent in order to refract light, so in this case the diamonds would refract more.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 07:15 AM   #4
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Refracts or reflects? I believe an object has to be at least semi-transparent in order to refract light, so in this case the diamonds would refract more.
That’s a very good point. I was trying to say in simple terms what would make it shine more when the light hits.
Old 6 March 2023, 07:26 AM   #5
logo
"TRF" Member

Refraction is light bending when moving from one medium to another. Diamonds have a high refractive index, and the material breaks light into its spectral colors. The high refractive index contributes to some reflection back to your eye from the surface of the stone (external brilliance). Meanwhile, the spectral colors produced within the stone will reflect back within the stone once the light hits the underside cuts of the diamond (internal brilliance).

Gold reflects but doesn’t refract. A high polished surface reflects well - like a mirror.

But if you are wondering what will look more “blingy”, I think it depends if you want blingy from afar or blingy up close. Diamond will always look brighter when you are viewing them up close and the sparkle from the combo of internal and external brilliance cannot be achieved with gold. From far away, since there’s probably more reflection from the gold and you can’t see the internal character of a diamond from afar, I’d say the gold fluted will look more blingy from afar.

Both will be very flashy, choose what you like.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 04:04 PM   #6
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Refraction bends light
Reflection bounces it back.
Which do you mean?
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 06:18 PM   #7
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
Refraction bends light
Reflection bounces it back.
Which do you mean?
A bit of both I guess. To simplify, I was trying to understand which has the highest shine, sparkle, or bling factor. For me, the choice while wearing this watch is not to be subtle. I could have gone for white gold in that case. When I say don't want it to be subtle, I am not saying it has to be loaded with gems and such. Just that its presence has to be felt for me as the wearer and for the observer.

If the fluted bezel does the same job as a diamond bezel, then I don't have to spend that much extra.
Old 6 March 2023, 04:36 PM   #8
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Factory pave’ diamond Rolex bezels really pop whether in direct light or not.
Baguette bezels have less intense bling and are clear like water and look more in sync/uniform with baguette dials.
Sharp fluted bezels are real clean and I prefer a sharp fluted bezel with an all baguette hour marker dial.
All the different configurations are highly noticeable at a distance in yellow or rose gold.
But are less noticeable at a distance in white gold or platinum.
Old 6 March 2023, 04:52 PM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The fluted reflects larger swathes of light where the Diamonds sparkle more intensely.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daydate 40mm , diamond bezel , fluted bezel , yellow gold