The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9 February 2024, 10:52 AM   #1
sm84
"TRF" Member

Arnold Schwarzenegger's detention by Customs in Germany

Hi All,

This is probably old news but I didnt get a chance to post here and check if anyone who has travelled understands why Schwarzenegger had to declare his watch? See (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arnold-...-luxury-watch/)

Per my understanding he is a US citizen and was visiting Austria. I am not sure if he holds residency there and if that is the reason for this escalating to a criminal case.

As a tourist, does one have to declare a watch and pay duties and taxes?

For those who may have read my previous post, I too had a similar experience but thankfully avoided taxes and got back home safely.

This news has not helped my anxiety with travel and I'd like to know if there is anyone out there who truly has knowledge and info on when something should and shouldn't be declared. The right circumstances and the right process.

My understanding is that these duties and taxes are applicable to those who are residents or are citizens of a particular country but not to tourists but I could be wrong.

I travel with moderate frequency internationally from the US and I do wear my Rolex but my last experience and news like this makes me want to be more aware. I can't afford to pay duties and taxes to every country I visit [sigh]

I am sure there are others who might be having similar thoughts or questions, so thought I'd ask and see if folks have any info. Thanks
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs , luxury watch , process , rolex