The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 October 2023, 06:55 AM   #1
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / AP
About to buy this 1675 GMT opinions for a non watch expert

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help here, i've been searching for a 1675 and i found this one, which i really love the patina on, its got original box, papers its a 78 - The clasp is a service replacement but the bracelet is original - The insert looks too perfect so maybe also a replacement but there is a chance its also original to the watch.

My questions are, do you notice anything unoriginal ? how about the lume, is it normal that the 9 oclock lume is uneven ? What about the date wheel? thx

would love some overall guidance on this example here thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 00G0G_aGtbVkBkGI1_0iB0t2_1200x900.jpeg (60.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpeg 00k0k_lxrgtCiGszX_0gl0t2_1200x900.jpeg (53.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpeg 00M0M_kJnoTNqYSTX_0gl0t2_1200x900.jpeg (47.1 KB, 276 views)
Tarek307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 07:27 AM   #2
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Case is polished and recut. Lugs look thin and the crown guards not great.

Insert is definitely a replacement. Hooked 2's maybe look aftermarket- but I'm not an expert at that.
Date wheel should be a brushed silver wheel with open 6's and 9's (other than 26). I can't tell from your photo if that is the case.

Photo isn't good enough to tell about the dial. Would need a close up of it and the lime and would put it under a UV torch
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 07:49 AM   #3
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
Case is polished and recut. Lugs look thin and the crown guards not great.

Insert is definitely a replacement. Hooked 2's maybe look aftermarket- but I'm not an expert at that.
Date wheel should be a brushed silver wheel with open 6's and 9's (other than 26). I can't tell from your photo if that is the case.

Photo isn't good enough to tell about the dial. Would need a close up of it and the lime and would put it under a UV torch
i'll try to get better pics, the case i was told by an expert is in great condition and doesn't look like its been polished more than once or maybe twice.
Old 28 October 2023, 08:00 AM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Have you checked out tropical watch? They usually have a good selection
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 08:15 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe ask @springer if he has a good one for you.
Old 28 October 2023, 08:21 AM   #6
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Maybe ask @springer if he has a good one for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Have you checked out tropical watch? They usually have a good selection
Guys thanks for your recommendations on where to buy, but please lets stick to the topic regarding this particular watch.
Old 28 October 2023, 08:52 AM   #7
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
A great tell on whether the watch is excessively polished are the crown guards and those look quite rounded. Also the actual spring bar holes, if polished might be a little cratered instead of having 90 degree edge at the bore hole. That said, post some pics of the side of the watch. The insert is a service insert, IMO, but most likely genuine (no hooked 2s on that one) it just has a thin font and is probably more appropriate for a later model 16750. You might also want to post the first 3-4 digits of the serial number to track the date of the watch to determine the appropriate dial for the watch, refer to https://gmtmaster1675.com/. You can also then check whatever you find with the paperwork dates and whatnot. The patina for me is a little excessive and the recommendation to view under UV light is a good one to determine if it has not been relumed to achieve that patina. BTW, the recommendations for other verified sales options are spot on. Jacek and Springer. Springer before Jacek. Hopefully Springer will comment, as he is a member of this forum and knows GMTs inside and out. Good luck in the quest.
EDIT: This one in the RF classifieds right now from Tropical Watch. Same date, insert might be a little older case is refinished but notice the crown guards and the spring bar holes. That is a nice recut. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=1675
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 09:28 AM   #8
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
A great tell on whether the watch is excessively polished are the crown guards and those look quite rounded. Also the actual spring bar holes, if polished might be a little cratered instead of having 90 degree edge at the bore hole. That said, post some pics of the side of the watch. The insert is a service insert, IMO, but most likely genuine (no hooked 2s on that one) it just has a thin font and is probably more appropriate for a later model 16750. You might also want to post the first 3-4 digits of the serial number to track the date of the watch to determine the appropriate dial for the watch, refer to https://gmtmaster1675.com/. You can also then check whatever you find with the paperwork dates and whatnot. The patina for me is a little excessive and the recommendation to view under UV light is a good one to determine if it has not been relumed to achieve that patina. BTW, the recommendations for other verified sales options are spot on. Jacek and Springer. Springer before Jacek. Hopefully Springer will comment, as he is a member of this forum and knows GMTs inside and out. Good luck in the quest.
EDIT: This one in the RF classifieds right now from Tropical Watch. Same date, insert might be a little older case is refinished but notice the crown guards and the spring bar holes. That is a nice recut. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=1675
The serial is a 5513xxx

The photos i've posted are with some sort of plastic covering the watch and crown guards etc, i'll ask them to remove the plastic and post photos without it

The watch came from an estate, which also has a brand new never worn 80's sub with it , the owner allegedly meticulously adored his watches. The dealer i'm getting this one from is guaranteeing its originality aside from the insert which could be a replacement + the clasp but says all else is 100% original.
Old 28 October 2023, 10:10 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If it’s cheap and you like the way it looks then maybe just take a chance on it

However, if you really want to evaluate the condition and know the value, then you’ll either need to do a lot of studying or you’ll need to post MUCH better photos and convince an expert to spend their free time studying for you.
Old 28 October 2023, 10:45 AM   #10
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reply- I decided to take it to a very well known old school watchmaker near SF thats been certified by rolex for years to service the ADs , and he opened up the watch, inspected it, tested it, pressure tested + checked lume under light, and said its original in tip top shape and one of the best he's seen lately- aside from being polished in the past (doesn't bother me as lugs without plastic on look good) everything else looks good and to go for it.

He did recommend getting a period correct faded insert as the one now isn't the original one but is still OEM Rolex.

I'm super excited now to get this baby and rock her!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 01414_eRmalKbDxgL_0bQ0aa_600x450.jpeg (26.1 KB, 229 views)
Old 28 October 2023, 11:25 AM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
I don't see the point in asking for advice if this is the outcome. Everyone has taken the time to subtly advise against it.

Just go with one of our trusted dealers here. There are far better examples out there.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 12:03 PM   #12
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:

Even wrapped in a condom...
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 12:05 PM   #13
Av1a
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I don't see the point in asking for advice if this is the outcome. Everyone has taken the time to subtly advise against it.

Just go with one of our trusted dealers here. There are far better examples out there.
"everyone has advised against it" and "there are far better examples out there"?

lol

it's a box and papers 1675 that looks remarkable for its age. and you have zero context on the offered price - everything is relative. so not a very value-add contribution IMO
Av1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 12:32 PM   #14
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

@zapokee I don’t see anyone advising against it or for it..that’s why after the feedback here I I took it to a Rolex expert craftsman that’s been in the biz for 40+ years to loop it , take it apart and test it..I’ll certainly take his professional opinion when he has done all that to the watch over internet opinions based on pics w plastic on the watch.

And I did thank people for their time and opinions- that’s what this forum is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av1a View Post

it's a box and papers 1675 that looks remarkable for its age. and you have zero context on the offered price - everything is relative. so not a very value-add conribution IMO
Exactly lol- I’m not looking for a “perfect” never polished example -
Old 28 October 2023, 01:57 PM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
To the OP. I would recommend that you do more homework on this watch and post additional photos - to include box set photos, lug and crown guard pics - and provide more details on the watch such as bracelet type, date code, UV photos or verbiage that you have checked the dial and hands for tritium content and it is correct.

Without the details I mentioned, you'll just keep getting responses that really don't provide much of the substance that you are looking for.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 02:01 PM   #16
"TRF" Member

So many experts
911964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 03:08 PM   #17
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911964 View Post
So many experts

There are a few here.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 03:17 PM   #18
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
There are a few here.

Go get 'em Tex!!! Actually, if you can testify in court as an expert, then you are one. Any Rolex experts here? And, shall I say, how about those Texas Rangers RD? One exciting and exhilarating game tonight.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 28 October 2023, 03:47 PM   #19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
There are a few here.
Yes and that’s great!
Old 28 October 2023, 03:52 PM   #20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reply- I decided to take it to a very well known old school watchmaker near SF thats been certified by rolex for years to service the ADs , and he opened up the watch, inspected it, tested it, pressure tested + checked lume under light, and said its original in tip top shape and one of the best he's seen lately- aside from being polished in the past (doesn't bother me as lugs without plastic on look good) everything else looks good and to go for it.

He did recommend getting a period correct faded insert as the one now isn't the original one but is still OEM Rolex.

This watch looks amazing for its year. The patina is vivid, the lugs and chamfers look good. Not a big deal it’s been polished. It’s not over polished and that’s what matters. It appears gently worn. Plus you’re getting it complete with box and papers.

It was checked by a Rolex certified watch maker. I’d say go for it and wear it in good health!
Old 28 October 2023, 05:01 PM   #21
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911964 View Post
So many experts
That’s why we come on here because we get great information from knowledgeable people
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 06:05 PM   #22
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Are the papers North American punched or black inked, as it has a Bufkor box from c North American region ?
Plexi is service too btw and possibly crown...probably done same time as the serviceable items of clasp, d/w and insert.
If priced accordingly, I'd perhaps not be put off if the mid-case, caseback, 1570/5, dial and hands are ok.
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 10:44 PM   #23
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I'll share my experience Tarek.

When I first started looking at vintage/4 digit watches I was also in a rush to buy one and did not approach it with the patience which you should. I nearly made some big mistakes, but thanks to this forum, I learnt to study, learn, listen and be patient with these watches.

A year and a half later I bought my first 4 digit sub and haven't looked back.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=916965

I can't stress enough that you should listen to the experts here! It will save you a lot of money and heart ache in the long run.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 11:43 PM   #24
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Mostly great advices here aside from the few who try to plug their own watches for sale....
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 11:48 PM   #25
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualplane View Post
Mostly great advices here aside from the few who try to plug their own watches for sale....
Intrigued who's that btw .. The Mk5 dial and hands period.
Uprising - MUSE
Old 29 October 2023, 12:41 AM   #26
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Are the papers North American punched or black inked, as it has a Bufkor box from c North American region ?
Plexi is service too btw and possibly crown...probably done same time as the serviceable items of clasp, d/w and insert.
If priced accordingly, I'd perhaps not be put off if the mid-case, caseback, 1570/5, dial and hands are ok.
GMT 1675 papers had punched serial numbers within the USA. The typed papers started around 1980 in the USA. I am confused by the "inked" papers comment so maybe I misinterpreted you if you were referring to typed papers.

Old 29 October 2023, 01:12 AM   #27
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
GMT 1675 papers had punched serial numbers within the USA. The typed papers started around 1980 in the USA. I am confused by the "inked" papers comment so maybe I misinterpreted you if you were referring to typed papers.
Thanks, yes typed is a much better expression.
Not my region of course... I'd wondered if like Bucherer in the EU, they'd perhaps could be typed in the late 70s.
Early 80s USA is useful to know though.

Anyway, with that knowledge the Op's watch should therefore have USA punched cert*

* notwithstanding the occasional anomaly you see. E.g. I have a 1680 full set from Italy which I bought and came with a two fold small non-cosc handwritten cert with original sale receipt and EFT credit card slip. At the time didn't give it much thought !
Uprising - MUSE
Old 29 October 2023, 03:35 AM   #28
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Thanks, yes typed is a much better expression.
Not my region of course... I'd wondered if like Bucherer in the EU, they'd perhaps could be typed in the late 70s.
Early 80s USA is useful to know though.

Anyway, with that knowledge the Op's watch should therefore have USA punched cert*

* notwithstanding the occasional anomaly you see. E.g. I have a 1680 full set from Italy which I bought and came with a two fold small non-cosc handwritten cert with original sale receipt and EFT credit card slip. At the time didn't give it much thought !
Correct, it was purchased new in the USA and has a punched stamped cert.