The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2023, 05:59 AM   #1
Av.time
"TRF" Member

Trading Black Ceramic Daytona towards 5065a

Hi guys - I've read the forum for a while but haven't posted much. I'm currently debating trading my black ceramic Daytona (plus cash) towards a Patek 5065a. I know these are quite different watches but would love any thoughts from folks who own a 5065a or a Daytona (or both!). I really love the 5065 and my wrists are on the smaller side so it fits better than a 5167a for me.

My one concern is that the Daytona is the only modern Rolex in my collection, which maybe is just a fake mental hurdle that I need to get over.

I know it's ultimately my decision but appreciate any feedback!
Av.time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 06:33 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Enthusiasts trade or buy the watch that catches their fancy. It isn't always a value for value proposition - in fact we usually have to do mental gymnastics to feel good about some of these changes.
Old 22 October 2023, 07:47 AM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

If I were to do that trade I'd rather get a 5165A which has the more modern design of 5167A and the smaller size of 5065A.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 09:24 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
How easy is it for you to re-acquire the Daytona? I would probably keep the Daytona and buy the Patek when you are able. Both pieces work well together in a collection. I had a 5065 and loved it. Wore it as my only watch for years. I paid the retail price then of about $7500 at Tourneau.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 10:47 AM   #5
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I had a 5065 and sold it a while back which I regret. It’s a great piece and would take it over a Daytona any day of the week. As someone also mentioned, the 5165 is also a great one!
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:24 PM   #6
byow
"TRF" Member

OP, I would also recommend the 5165. You should at least have a look at it before deciding.

Between the Daytona and the 5165, a few years ago, I would have chosen the PP because it was not a hype model. Today, I would take the Daytona because this criterion does not stand any longer and from a purely « mechanical » point of view, the 4130 is a great caliber worth having in a collection.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 08:53 PM   #7
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Personally I wouldn’t. I simply think the 5065 is a boring watch vs the Daytona.
I know….PP vs Rolex, I get it, it just wouldn’t be my choice. If the 5065 would make you happier when you look at your wrist…I’d make the trade.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 10:55 PM   #8
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

I have both and would keep the Daytona - a more robust, iconic daily wear. The 5065a is lovely too though - maybe save up for it.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 04:37 AM   #9
myk7000
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Those who own the 5065a, do you believe this watch has long standing value, and is one of your go-to's in the collection? Or does it get relegated to more of a support function for your collection and not worn as much?

It's such a high second hand price compared to the past, but interested to know if people consider it a life keeper, or if there are many other models they'd prefer over this one.
myk7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 05:32 AM   #10
zozozo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5065
I just purchased a 5065 to commemorate a few life milestones this year. I personally prefer the quirkiness (5 minute markers), deeper grooves, and non-integrated strap of the 5065 over the later models, and for me, this watch is a life keeper and will be a daily. Accordingly, I don't care much if the value changes... Plus, there are 19+ Patek strap colors currently available which is cool.
zozozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 07:21 AM   #11
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I’d much rather wear the Daytona than an Aquanaut. It’s not even close.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 02:36 PM   #12
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
I have the Daytona and 5167a and prefer the Daytona. The 5167 is really nice, but not as flexible as the Daytona. The Daytona is more difficult to read, but goes with shorts or a suit. The 5167 is much more casual. They are both great watches...
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 04:09 PM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av.time View Post
Hi guys - I've read the forum for a while but haven't posted much. I'm currently debating trading my black ceramic Daytona (plus cash) towards a Patek 5065a. I know these are quite different watches but would love any thoughts from folks who own a 5065a or a Daytona (or both!). I really love the 5065 and my wrists are on the smaller side so it fits better than a 5167a for me.

My one concern is that the Daytona is the only modern Rolex in my collection, which maybe is just a fake mental hurdle that I need to get over.

I know it's ultimately my decision but appreciate any feedback!

I wouldn’t do it. I own a 5167 and it’s cool but not cash plus Daytona. Rather buy something else like a Ap RO good pricing right now or a 5712 /5726 on strap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 07:06 PM   #14
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post
Those who own the 5065a, do you believe this watch has long standing value, and is one of your go-to's in the collection? Or does it get relegated to more of a support function for your collection and not worn as much?

It's such a high second hand price compared to the past, but interested to know if people consider it a life keeper, or if there are many other models they'd prefer over this one.
It depends on the watches you have.

I have not worn mine since at least eighteen years.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 08:29 PM   #15
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I would only do this if the 5065 is unpolished and comes with the box and COO.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 07:56 AM   #16
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Personally I wouldn’t. I simply think the 5065 is a boring watch vs the Daytona.
I know….PP vs Rolex, I get it, it just wouldn’t be my choice. If the 5065 would make you happier when you look at your wrist…I’d make the trade.
^^
this
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 10:53 AM   #17
Av.time
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone! I ultimately decided to hold off, didn't feel right to part with the Daytona plus cash. Hopefully soon I'll be able to add a 5065a to the collection without parting ways with the Daytona. Appreciate everyone's thoughts
Av.time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 11:51 AM   #18
gm58
"TRF" Member

Would say its a preference of vintage vs modern (the 5065s have nice cream lume now I would think) - cant go wrong with either to be fair.

Daytonas generally fit really well on smaller wrists, would say its the best fitting sports model in the rolex lineup too.
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 03:14 AM   #19
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't do the trade.

I'm not a big Daytona fan -- it's fine but not any kind of grail -- but the Aquanaut will forever be a dog in PP's lineup. Recent public infatuation doesn't change that in my mind. Long-eschewed, the Aquanaut only became popular as a compromise once Nautilus popularity took off. But you like what you like. And the Daytona has its own baggage, for sure.

Just my personal opinions which surely don't align with the market.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 03:53 AM   #20
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Yes, absolutely get a 5065. The deeper carved “grenade dial” is fantastic and meshes well with the composite strap. As someone else mentioned above, there are ~18 strap options still available from HSWA for the 5065. Also, I’m a huge fan of vintage and tritium dials. They each age in a unique fashion to give the watch more character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote