The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 January 2024, 05:48 PM   #1
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Moser Streamliner Chrono - movement finishing

I have geen going back and forth on acquiring a Moser Streamliner Chrono with the funky blue dial. The one thing holding me back is the movement finishing, which I have heard described by Tim Mosso as “partly handfinished” but I have also seen TRF members say it is not as nicely finished as they expected. In most inhouse Moser movements the vertical machining marks are obvious and I would hope the Agengraphe movement to be of higher finishing quality. Has anyone here been able to loupe the movement and can confirm the bevels are not purely machine finished? Thank you all.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 01:18 AM   #2
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I have geen going back and forth on acquiring a Moser Streamliner Chrono with the funky blue dial. The one thing holding me back is the movement finishing, which I have heard described by Tim Mosso as “partly handfinished” but I have also seen TRF members say it is not as nicely finished as they expected. In most inhouse Moser movements the vertical machining marks are obvious and I would hope the Agengraphe movement to be of higher finishing quality. Has anyone here been able to loupe the movement and can confirm the bevels are not purely machine finished? Thank you all.
I don't have photographs, but I've seen both versions of Moser's Streamliner movement (the original all silver finish, and the newer bi-color finish) and Tim Mosso described it right - some parts have hand finished bevels while (most?) do not.

I have photographed this movement on the MING 20.01 s2 and it is similar. That said, this movement in either of these watches (MING, Moser) would be an instant buy for me if I could afford it right now. It is an incredible piece of engineering and looks absolutely amazing in person.

Here it is on the MING 20.01 s2:

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 05:57 AM   #3
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Thank you. I just rewatched Tim’s review and in facts his exact words are that the movement is “extensively handfinished”. I’m still looking for close-ups that are close enough to confirm hand-bevelling. Would love for owners of this watch to weigh in before I pull the trigger!
Old 5 January 2024, 06:07 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Moser in general does not do a lot of hand finishing, which isn’t unreasonable for the price point, but I guess Armin Strom is in the same price range and does do a lot of hand finishing…
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 08:40 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The close ups here do not look all that great to me. But I am certainly no expert. Seems like Lange and upper level Patek look to have a better finishing.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 09:43 AM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The close ups here do not look all that great to me. But I am certainly no expert. Seems like Lange and upper level Patek look to have a better finishing.
Definitely. Moser is a rung below.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:04 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As Kraftwerk sings.... machine machine machine machine....

As others noted, at the price, imho, this is very well done. Pics of the blue dial Heritage that's here... i love it!

H_Moser_Movement_Large_edited.jpg

H_Moser_Movement_Close_edited.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 11:27 AM   #8
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. I just rewatched Tim’s review and in facts his exact words are that the movement is “extensively handfinished”. I’m still looking for close-ups that are close enough to confirm hand-bevelling. Would love for owners of this watch to weigh in before I pull the trigger!
I wouldn't agree with 'extensively', but I don't have any data to back up my claims.

Here are some photographs of the V1 Streamliner from Monochrome Watches: https://monochrome-watches.com/h-mos...-review-price/

And one from the Time+Tide review: https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands...l-knock-punch/

Similar to the MING I shared, it appears that all the large bridges/plates are machine beveled, and some of the smaller components have hand finished bevels.
Old 5 January 2024, 11:30 AM   #9
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

This review from SJX has some good macro shots too: https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/01/mos...ue-review.html

Old 5 January 2024, 10:36 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This watch looks great to me!
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 11:33 PM   #11
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Thanks theSingularity7 and everyone else for the feedback. I just found another review from watchesbysjx that has some really cool macros and the following helpful comment:

"Most of the finishing is done by machine, and some of it is done by hand. The bridges, for instance, have mechanically milled bevelling, while the chronograph levels have hand-finished bevels."

Looking at the pictures some of the chronograph parts do indeed seem to be finished to a higher degree than the immediately visible bridges (like the "Batman"). That's really all I needed to know as this puts the Streamliner just above most of the other Moser production models, like the Perpetual One I have.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/01/h-m...ph-review.html
Old 5 January 2024, 11:41 PM   #12
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Moser movements are beautiful! What I see with my naked eyes, matters most to me. Further attention to detail only witnessed through a loupe is nice and all, but not as important as overall aesthetics, comfort, accuracy, dependability, etc.

Our world of macro photography has tainted our opinions.. Nobody will ever look at a Moser Streamliner movement with their eyes and say “wow that’s lacking”. Moser is a complete package IMO.
Old 5 January 2024, 11:44 PM   #13
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Nice looking movement for sure
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 01:21 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Our world of macro photography has tainted our opinions.
If i may, would swap the word 'tainted' with 'solidified'.

Macros have enabled us to see the difference between very skillful and experienced hand crafting versus very precise modern machining and then mmmmaybe a rub or two to hopefully smoothly reduce the machining marks.

Watchmakers have greatly benefitted, as macro helps to (better / easier) diagnose a movement's defects / problems during repair.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.

Old 7 January 2024, 03:49 AM   #15
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I today picked up my Moser. I’m mighty inpresses by this watch. And first impressions of the movement are very good. There does indeed seem to be a decent amount of hand finish when I just louped it. Would love to post some pics but not sure how :-)
Old 7 January 2024, 05:13 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Major congrats!

well-played.jpg

Old 7 January 2024, 06:19 AM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks all. I today picked up my Moser. I’m mighty inpresses by this watch. And first impressions of the movement are very good. There does indeed seem to be a decent amount of hand finish when I just louped it. Would love to post some pics but not sure how :-)
Awesome, congrats. When I flip my mosers around I’m quite satisfied. Did you get new generation with ghost branding or original white writing
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 07:47 AM   #18
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Looking forward to seeing pics of it once you figure it out!
Old 7 January 2024, 02:00 PM   #19
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Wow, congratulations!