The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2024, 08:05 AM   #1
CptPicard
"TRF" Member

14060m Laser Etched Crystal

Hi all, I recently picked up the 2010 14060m Submariner and the crystal seems suspect. It picks up a ton of smudges and I can't seem to spot the laser etched crystal.

Are these models suppose to have the laser etched crystal?
CptPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 08:45 AM   #2
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
LEC began in 2001 (I think, maybe earlier, but give or take a year or so). The 14060 was produced from 1990(?) to 2010. If yours is indeed from 2010, it may be one of the very last produced. That's besides the point, though, as your watch should fall within those two dates "Venn diagram." A real crystal shouldn't "pick up a ton of smudges" & even if it is a replacement crystal from an RSC, I would suspect they would position it at the 6 o'clock like all others are. Your situation makes me suspicious.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 08:47 AM   #3
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
The crown is hard to see. If you can see it easily = fake stuff.

Take your cell phone flash light and shine it across the crystal from 12 noon to 6 - you should be able to see it then. Shine if flat and parallel to the crystal surface.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 09:05 AM   #4
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
Even if the crystal has been replaced by a RSC it should still be there. If replaced, the crown will be a little different and have an “s” in it, but it should be there…. It is possible that a replacement was not aligned correctly so worth checking all around the outer diameter…. However this is unlikely. They are hard to see for the first time, but once your eyes know what to look for you should be able to see it with a light / torch.
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 09:28 AM   #5
Flypanam
2024 Pledge Member

My 16610 is from 2004, and though it's not exactly the same watch, it's from the same generation of subs, though yours is from the tail end of production. Mine has the laser etched crystal on the factory crystal, but not the engraved ROLEXROLEXROLEX rehaut. It's really hard to make out without a loupe and direct lighting. There is also no anti-reflective coating on the inside or outside, so perhaps the smudges are more apparent?
Tudor: Pelagos 42 Blue; North Flag; BB GMT
Best of the rest: Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Grand Seiko Soko SBGA429; Breitling Chronomat 40 GMT
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 09:40 AM   #6
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
The crown is hard to see. If you can see it easily = fake stuff.

Take your cell phone flash light and shine it across the crystal from 12 noon to 6 - you should be able to see it then. Shine if flat and parallel to the crystal surface.
It is true
Old 13 February 2024, 09:43 AM   #7
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
difficult even in photos

Old 13 February 2024, 10:45 AM   #8
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
even if it is a replacement crystal from an RSC, I would suspect they would position it at the 6 o'clock like all others are. Your situation makes me suspicious.
I have seen several examples were service crystals do not have the crown centered at 6:00, unless the watch has a cyclops.

I believe a 14060 m should have the etched crown . I have two examples and they both have it.
One is not centered at 6:00
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 11:57 AM   #9
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

My P series from 2000 does not have a LEC. Thinking of getting a replacement crystal which will be AR coated and LEC
Old 13 February 2024, 12:17 PM   #10
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
As some mentioned check the edge of the whole crystal. e.g. I currently have one that the crown is at 12 o’clock. My theory on this one is the watch had been completely serviced and although they intended to put the crown back at 6 o’clock they got it 180 out of position.
I’ve also had one where the crown was between the 7-8 hour markers. Of course these were none date models. Also, don’t rule out it’s a after market crystal. I’ve recently gotten a 116610LV aka the Hulk. It has a after market crystal that the original owner had installed to replace a original damaged crystal. Reason, it was cheaper than a original???
I have the correct Rolex crystal on order.
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 06:51 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoilCat View Post
Even if the crystal has been replaced by a RSC it should still be there. If replaced, the crown will be a little different and have an “s” in it, but it should be there…. It is possible that a replacement was not aligned correctly so worth checking all around the outer diameter…. However this is unlikely. They are hard to see for the first time, but once your eyes know what to look for you should be able to see it with a light / torch.
Not true they stopped putting a S in the LEC around 10 years ago.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 07:02 PM   #12
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not true they stopped putting a S in the LEC around 10 years ago.
That’s interesting, I didn’t know that, I’ve only ever seen the replacements with the “s”…. Apologies for giving out of date info… out of interest, I don’t suppose you know why they changed this? Thanks for the correction! I absolutely love how much knowledge there is on this forum, it’s incredible!
Old 13 February 2024, 08:30 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoilCat View Post
That’s interesting, I didn’t know that, I’ve only ever seen the replacements with the “s”…. Apologies for giving out of date info… out of interest, I don’t suppose you know why they changed this? Thanks for the correction! I absolutely love how much knowledge there is on this forum, it’s incredible!
Not 100% certain but possible because some moan and grown that they have a replacement crystal on there watch. Like many today worry about the Laser Etched Hologram In Crystal which was introduced first in 2001.They struggle to find it but as long as they bought there watches from reliable why even bother to look for it. Same today with loupe mania, worring and fretting over a few seconds out of 86400 in a day. I sometimes wish they would bring back the good old days when everyone bought there watches to enjoy and wear,

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 09:42 PM   #14
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I sometimes wish they would bring back the good old days when everyone bought there watches to enjoy and wear,
Thanks! I guess that makes some sense, I can see it both ways… I 100% agree with your last sentence, I find myself thinking that a lot… they are beautifully designed and made to be worn and enjoyed! Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it!
Old 14 February 2024, 01:39 AM   #15
NigeG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
My 2001 Sub Date has no LEC. Serial number is K625xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NigeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 03:57 AM   #16
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I checked my 14060m this morning and I found it but it was indeed hard to find, smaller and more obscured by the 6 baton than on my 226570 or 116660. I don’t know year of manufacture.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote