The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2024, 04:42 AM   #31
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear this. Im originally from the UK, now in the US.

I hear watch theft is rampant in London at the moment. Spotters will go into clubs and restaurants and report to the thieves who is wearing an expensive watch.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 05:09 AM   #32
subcsteve
"TRF" Member

you are saying you got robbed at gun point in London and didn't go to the police immediately. In this country the moment "gun" is mentioned you get a very serious response from the police armed response units...your story does not add up.
subcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 10:08 AM   #33
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
FWIW the OP didn't say it was at gunpoint, unless I missed it, in which case I stand corrected. He said it was an armed robbery, so it could have been anything--a knife, an icepick, a crowbar, etc.

OP, I agree with reporting it to Rolex, and it would probably be a good idea to have the police report in hand when you do so, as I reckon Rolex may want to reference or have a record of it. Good luck and I hope you get a favorable outcome.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 10:58 AM   #34
favx
2024 Pledge Member

I think you should report it.
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 12:01 PM   #35
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
There are multiple lists out there, you just list it as many as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex3301 View Post
Hello I had recently my watch stolen in armed robbery as I was walking outside of a club, the problem is that couldn’t go to report it in the police as I didn’t had the serial number, the box was in the bank safety box I have in Swiss while I live in London, anyway I got it after 1 month so now I finally went to the police and have the paper with the serial number. The question is

Should I go to Rolex to report it so to out the watch in red list or better let some months to pass so someone goes to Rolex to authenticate that is not stolen so the new owner after sometimes go to service and then block the watch ?
I mean if I go to report it now the thieves wouldn’t be able to sell the watch
I mean they have access to the stolen watch serials so they know if a watch is reported as stolen or not….

What do you think
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 12:19 AM   #36
rolex3301
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly:

So basically your plan is to hopefully let enough time pass that it is sold to a legit customer who is not aware it is stolen. They think they have bought a valid and legit Rolex. This is the reason you want to wait to report so as not to prevent the thieves unloading it to a non suspecting buyer

Then you report to Rolex it is stolen

Then after the above 2 things happen you hope the new owner takes it for a service, at which point you hope Rolex will see it is stolen, confiscate it and return it to you

That correct?
Exactly that, I believe the people that deal with the stolen watches have access to this information and they have the stolen serials list so only hope to find the watch after years s if some buys it with out papers and brings it to Rolex service at sometime
To be honest seems it’s better to not report to the Rolex the stolen watches but only to the police so you have the proof later that this watch belongs to you
rolex3301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 04:06 AM   #37
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Stolen rolex advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex3301 View Post
Exactly that, I believe the people that deal with the stolen watches have access to this information and they have the stolen serials list so only hope to find the watch after years s if some buys it with out papers and brings it to Rolex service at sometime
To be honest seems it’s better to not report to the Rolex the stolen watches but only to the police so you have the proof later that this watch belongs to you

While there are some stolen watch registries independent of Rolex that may be accessible by anyone, I do not believe Rolex shares their stolen watch registry. It’s private. Whether that is a good idea for victims of theft or not is debatable but the public cannot check serial numbers with Rolex. At least not in way that would support your plan above.

There is a TRF user that got his stolen Platinum Daytona back after a theft (after at least a couple years too) because he had the watch registered as stolen with Rolex.

I would report the watch stolen to Rolex asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 04:27 AM   #38
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
You still on here talking about this....WOW....I've commented...and i was just browsing..

Was your Rolex insured?

I'm truly sorry for you loss and how it was stolen from you.

You continue to tell everyone what you going to do....

Go your way and the best of luck on how your thinking...right or wrong...

DO it....and i guess let us know or not.........

i hope you had insurance on it...you sound like you didnt and i am too bored to look at the above comments,,,,

Isurance wise...they pay you and you go look for another...that simple..

if you dont have it....then this is the route you go.......good luck
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 05:01 AM   #39
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorDXB View Post
Anyone can go to https://thewatchregister.com/ and check if a watch has been reported stolen whether a thief or someone in the trade or a consumer looking to buy.
Interesting site, was looking the FAQs section:

What are your sources of lost and stolen watch data?

We receive our data from police forces, insurance companies and theft victims globally who report lost and stolen watches to us. We work closely with police forces in watch crime hotspots such as the Metropolitan Police in London, New York Police Department, Los Angeles Police Department and Hong Kong Police. Through our parent company the Art Loss Register, we have developed relationships with law enforcement agencies, insurance companies and industry partners globally over 30 years. The trust we have built with these key organisations gives us access to historic loss records as well as current thefts. Our database also includes stolen watch data from the jewellery anti-crime scheme SaferGems.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 05:56 AM   #40
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Why in the world do you think he would owe us any of this info?

He’s simply looking for advice on how to best report a stolen watch.

I don’t get why some ppl here think the victim owes us all the details of a traumatic event. It’s just pure voyeurism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe so other people don't won't have to suffer the same loss of their Rolex

Pure voyeurism?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 03:35 PM   #41
Benjack
Banned

Sorry to hear about your stolen watch, report it to the police immediately!
Benjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:45 AM   #42
WillyG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Grand Lange 1
Report the theft and all the circumstances associated to the theft, to the police immediately. By doing this you can help prevent this from happening to someone else, possibly catch the perpetrators and possibly recover your stolen watch.
WillyG is offline   Reply With Quote