The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 February 2024, 12:11 PM   #31
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypanam View Post
I might have a bit of a different perspective. My most recent purchase was a DJ36 in mint green. I originally expressed interest in a different watch early last year, but last November stopped in and told my AD I wanted to change over to a DJ41. I didn't tell them it was because I actually obtained the other watch from a different AD lol. Still.. Less than a week later, they offered me a mint DJ41 with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. I declined, as I specifically asked for fluted bezel and jubilee.

AD was understanding, stating I should wait for what I truly want. As a side note - I'm surprised that this sentiment of "buying what you want" is lost on some people who get caught up in the chase for a rolex, any rolex.

Fast forward to last Saturday. I stopped in again, wanting to try a DJ41 vs a DJ36 back to back. I ended up preferring the DJ36 and let them know. 5 days later (literally last Thursday) I was offered a Mint DJ36 with fluted bezel and jubilee, my exact desired watch. I've been enjoying it since!

There are certainly lists, but there is also a distinct component of "right place right time" IMHO. Checking in by text/email is also good, but physically going in and engaging with the salespeople puts a face to your name, builds rapport, and keeps you fresh in their memory. My AD even told me "I saw this DJ36 come in, and thought to myself... wait I just saw a guy that wanted this exact one!".

I think if you look around, you'll find other stories where someone pops into the AD and shortly afterwards they get a call or text.

I have never once paid for anything I didn't actually want from an AD. Not one piece of jewelry. Not one non-Rolex watch (at a Rolex AD). Not one Rolex that I did NOT want. Longest I've ever waited for a watch was about 5-6 months.
Womens watches are easier to get.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 12:32 PM   #32
sienaguns
"TRF" Member

Go gray
sienaguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 04:38 PM   #33
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushkovez View Post
Typically prices at local “trusted sellers” are on average 30% ridiculously higher in comparison with brick and mortar grey guys… but surprisingly for some reason they are constantly promoted here…
I agree 100%. I have been on this forum for years and could never understand why someone would buy from these "trusted sellers". I am sure that the watches are fine but not for the crazy prices that they want. Gray market is great as long as you get a great seller. I am saying this with no disrespect to anyone.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 04:41 PM   #34
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveo View Post
Well what a response! I’m absolutely overwhelmed by all the feedback, advice and warm welcome. Thanks so much for all the comments.

I’m going to digest all the feedback people have given so far and have a think about my next steps.

I’m certainly in no rush, but at the same point I don’t want to wait years.

Thanks so much and I welcome in any more comments .
Go gray. You will never look back.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 05:29 PM   #35
Mercmanr
"TRF" Member

You will be waiting a long time as a first purchase. If this is going to be your only watch for a while, just go grey and have it next week. The premium isn't that bad now
Mercmanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 07:34 PM   #36
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painexpert View Post
I agree 100%. I have been on this forum for years and could never understand why someone would buy from these "trusted sellers". I am sure that the watches are fine but not for the crazy prices that they want. Gray market is great as long as you get a great seller. I am saying this with no disrespect to anyone.
Same thought as well.
It is a weird saying calling them "trusted sellers" and would they disclose where the watch came from or where?
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 08:13 PM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
There’s no way to game the system, OP. Be patient, be kind and show steady interest or buy your way to the front of the line with a trusted seller. Patient and kind has always worked for me but it’s your call.

Welcome to the forum.
Exact same here and great advice ^^^.

Welcome to the forum OP and I wish you the best of luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 08:21 PM   #38
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If you want to beat the queue then just go grey it beats buying things you don’t really need
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 09:15 PM   #39
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
As said above call / visit AD often; other than that only way to get it faster is buy buying other stuff from AD or going grey and pay over retail.

Am not willing to pay over retail or buying other stuff to get a watch, but perhaps you are willing to go that route. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 01:36 AM   #40
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushkovez View Post
Typically prices at local “trusted sellers” are on average 30% ridiculously higher in comparison with brick and mortar grey guys… but surprisingly for some reason they are constantly promoted here…
I haven’t seen that high of a premium, depending on the reference, but I haven’t shopped grey in several years.

My one experience was where o I paid maybe $400 more but I got the box, papers and the original buyers name on the warranty card and could sell it back easily or return it for a full refund if there was a problem. This grey also maintains a brick and mortar store but I never felt a need to have to go there in person if I needed a resolution. The reputation for integrity and desire to to stay it he business for the long haul is well earned.

Wiring money to strangers without security isn’t much of a bargain. To me anyway. Some folks are Ok with the risk and that’s totally up to them individually.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 04:28 AM   #41
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

If you want to hack the line, next visit say you have a special occasion coming up and really wanted that piece to celebrate it. Maybe it s a job promotion, or the birth of a child, or a milestone birthday like 40... That will give them a reason to sell it to you as compared to everyone else on the list.
Old 3 February 2024, 05:10 AM   #42
macluven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaya View Post
If you want to hack the line, next visit say you have a special occasion coming up and really wanted that piece to celebrate it. Maybe it s a job promotion, or the birth of a child, or a milestone birthday like 40... That will give them a reason to sell it to you as compared to everyone else on the list.
I did this a couple of weeks ago. I saw a few YouTube videos of guys going into ADs and telling them they're looking for a specific watch reference to commemorate a special occasion.

I went into my AD (have some purchase history with a SA that is no longer there) and asked the SA that greeted me if I could be put on "the list" for a Pepsi GMT Master II. He told me it would be a long wait.

So I then asked him to see the Batgirl and told him that I wanted a GMT Master to celebrate a promotion that I received back in November (I was called a "tool" in a Facebook Group for supposedly making up this story, but I actually was promoted, so who's the "tool" now ).

The SA asked me which watch I wanted to be put on "the list" for (Pepsi or Batgirl). I told him the Batgirl because it fit my skin tone better and the Pepsi was probably never going to happen. He proceeded to check my buying history (saw that I had purchased at least 4 other watches from them before), went to the back room, came back out and asked me for my credit card because he had a watch for me. I called my wife and asked her which credit card she wanted me to use (cuz I was leaving with the watch whether she liked it or not , and I ended up walking out the door with a brand new Batgirl the same day.

I'm not saying that giving the AD a story that your celebrating something will work. They obviously have to have the watch in stock. I just happened to remember seeing those videos on YouTube and actually celebrating a promotion, and it worked out for me. Right place, right time!
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 11:10 AM   #43
dekoske
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grand Langematik
Icon14

Been friendly with the AD by giving gifts of wine/cigars when doing a bit of travel.

Seems that always helps when waiting for your top 3 (received 1/3 on waiting so far).

But I've heard some people doing it under the table especially in countries like Bulgaria (Behar Rolex) and a bit further from eyes of english speakers.
dekoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 11:29 AM   #44
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluven View Post
I did this a couple of weeks ago. I saw a few YouTube videos of guys going into ADs and telling them they're looking for a specific watch reference to commemorate a special occasion.

I went into my AD (have some purchase history with a SA that is no longer there) and asked the SA that greeted me if I could be put on "the list" for a Pepsi GMT Master II. He told me it would be a long wait.

So I then asked him to see the Batgirl and told him that I wanted a GMT Master to celebrate a promotion that I received back in November (I was called a "tool" in a Facebook Group for supposedly making up this story, but I actually was promoted, so who's the "tool" now ).

The SA asked me which watch I wanted to be put on "the list" for (Pepsi or Batgirl). I told him the Batgirl because it fit my skin tone better and the Pepsi was probably never going to happen. He proceeded to check my buying history (saw that I had purchased at least 4 other watches from them before), went to the back room, came back out and asked me for my credit card because he had a watch for me. I called my wife and asked her which credit card she wanted me to use (cuz I was leaving with the watch whether she liked it or not , and I ended up walking out the door with a brand new Batgirl the same day.

I'm not saying that giving the AD a story that your celebrating something will work. They obviously have to have the watch in stock. I just happened to remember seeing those videos on YouTube and actually celebrating a promotion, and it worked out for me. Right place, right time!

Congratulations! Thats awesome your AD let you use a credit card. Mine does not. Rack up those rewards dollars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:35 AM   #45
Yomada
2024 Pledge Member

I don't have any spending history. So for me to get anything will be probably never. As a hail mary, I offered my AD 1k if I can get the OP41 green for my birthday. I didn't get any text back after that. Wonder if he's offended.
Yomada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 05:59 AM   #46
Galveo
"TRF" Member

So just a quick update on this thread, I went back over to the Rolex AD and explained that I was still very interested and had recently achieved a milestone birthday. (Just turned 30) this coincidentally is one of the reasons I really wanted to get a new watch and my first Rolex.

The guy I spoke to at the AD was absolute spot on and said that unfortunately they just don’t have any stock, but he posed the question if I would consider any other models.

I tried a variety on including an explorer II polar dial and a date just. However in my heart of hearts the submariner is still the one I wanted. They also tried to set me down the route of authorised pre owned but I didn’t fancy paying a £4500 premium…

My question for you guys is two fold. Should I consider any other models such as a sea dweller? My main concern is the size though, however I am quite a big guy.

Or should I just pay a premium and start browsing down grey street?
Galveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 07:16 AM   #47
Galveo
"TRF" Member

What do you think is a reasonable percentage above MSRP to pay for a grey market submariner?

MSSRP is £8,050 best price I can find on Chrono24 is £9,000.
Galveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 09:51 AM   #48
Ash1dreamcast
"TRF" Member

For some reason a no date sub is harder to obtain compared to a date sub I was told that by the AD. I put my name down for a Sea Dweller and managed to get that in 3 months no spend history as I didn’t want to wait forever. I went in for a datejust 41 smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet in a mint dial as a 2nd purchase last week and got a call a few hours later to pick it up and I did so. Long story watches are available depending on model. I have now put my name down for a VTNR. I am not holding my breath but I can only dream and this is from Goldsmiths. In regards to my Sea Dweller I love it and took my name off for the date sub.
Ash1dreamcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 10:04 AM   #49
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The SA’s don’t decide where the sought after models are allocated this decision is made at a much higher level.

It has been like this for a long time.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 10:15 AM   #50
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
The SA’s don’t decide where the sought after models are allocated this decision is made at a much higher level.

It has been like this for a long time.
Absolutely agree!. The owner or the highest manager makes that call. That’s what I was told by a SA.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 10:28 AM   #51
slillestrand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
I have a 124060 in my collection.....it is a fantastic selection for your collection. There is absolutely not a single thing negative to say about that.....a Sub No Date will find its way into collections of every dollar value. You chose well. Just be patient.

Best
Scott
slillestrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 11:00 AM   #52
thughes
"TRF" Member

I picked my no date sub up at my AD last week. A SA told me that my watch was part of the first group they had gotten in since early November. He also told me that they get very few no dates compared to dates. As I had my watch, no reason not be be honest.
thughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 12:37 PM   #53
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
So just a quick update on this thread, I went back over to the Rolex AD and explained that I was still very interested and had recently achieved a milestone birthday. (Just turned 30) this coincidentally is one of the reasons I really wanted to get a new watch and my first Rolex.

The guy I spoke to at the AD was absolute spot on and said that unfortunately they just don’t have any stock, but he posed the question if I would consider any other models.

I tried a variety on including an explorer II polar dial and a date just. However in my heart of hearts the submariner is still the one I wanted. They also tried to set me down the route of authorised pre owned but I didn’t fancy paying a £4500 premium…

My question for you guys is two fold. Should I consider any other models such as a sea dweller? My main concern is the size though, however I am quite a big guy.

Or should I just pay a premium and start browsing down grey street?
I would say definitely consider a Sea-Dweller but don’t compromise for a Sea-Dweller. And I wouldn’t worry about the size, especially if you are a big guy. I’m not a big guy and I wear a Deepsea comfortably and with great joy.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:16 PM   #54
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Set yourself an alarm for a specific date (max time you're willing to wait). If that alarm goes off before your AD calls, hit up a trusted seller. That way you can shop knowing you tried.

In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:21 PM   #55
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
If you are honest, nice , stay friendly, they will like you and you get one eventually. Liking you for “some reason” will get you far. Use charm, but not fake, never pushy or sad… just nice.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 04:18 AM   #56
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3635.jpeg (83.1 KB, 133 views)
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 08:46 AM   #57
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
weekly check msg, drop by once a month.

I’ve never gotten the call!! Every time I got a watch was a drop in and surprise.

5 pcs since 2019- new incoming next Tuesday
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 10:38 AM   #58
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so first and foremost hello everyone!

I have always had an interest in watches and currently own an Omega SMP. I have been fortunate enough to own several other brands over the years such as Hamilton and some micro brands.

I have always had an interest in Rolex, but only recently started looking at one as a serious purchase.

I have tired on several models at my local AD here in the UK, it might be the most boring choice to some but i instantly fell in love with the 41mm no date SUB.

I have been on the “registered interest” list for over 7 months and have maintained good contact with the AD to make them know I’m still very interested in purchasing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on expediting the process or how I can ask if any models are available without being too forceful?

Look forward to your feedback.

Lots of advice here and you have decided on one of the best if not the best reference so good choice

My advice would be to buy it here or chrono 24 and don’t worry about the call. This topic has largely divided this once cordial forum.

Life’s to short go get and enjoy the watch.
I did the reverse. Went and got a seamaster 2220.80 and love it it what a watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 03:17 PM   #59
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis29 View Post
weekly check msg, drop by once a month.

I’ve never gotten the call!! Every time I got a watch was a drop in and surprise.

5 pcs since 2019- new incoming next Tuesday
I have one AD in my city and the next closest is >800km away.

Do the math for availability?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote