The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2019, 04:51 AM   #31
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsoprobro View Post
Yeah; this is similar to what I’m finding online. Depending what AD says about the watch will determine my next steps going further. I’ll be heading there in about an hour or two. I almost feel that I should disclose the site that I purchased from as they as held as being pretty reputable on TRF.

They did offer a full refund when I brought up the bezel insert being cracked; or they would refund me the cost to have it replaced. Then I brought up the crown and they included a partial refund for that. I’m still under market value for what I should’ve paid but not by much. I think if my AD can source me a GMT I’ll probably go the route of returning this one if he believes I should.
I'd probably return it and get a better condition 116713.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:13 AM   #32
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsoprobro View Post
Sorry if this shows up twice, I submitted my thread a few minutes ago but didn't see it after.

I noticed something weird today while inspecting my new (to me) GMT Master II. Upon inspection of the clasp it would appear it is poorly welded to the bracelet. I tried to do some research but was unable to find any pictures that showed the bracelet. So I was hoping someone could provide a photo like mine to show that either I need to get in contact with the seller about the watch, or that I'm just crazy.

I do have an appointment with my local AD tomorrow to discuss some other things not fully disclosed by the seller (whom promptly compensated me for those issues, albeit not fully.) However if this is another issue, it might set it over the edge for me.

Here’s my BLNR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:22 AM   #33
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
This thread just saved me from disaster! My M series clasp is about to come apart. If not for this thread, I never would've known about this issue until it happened.

Any recommendations where I can get this fixed? Would the RSC fix it or make me pay for a new bracelet?

Thanks!
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:48 AM   #34
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Combination of too many “issues” will make me return it. Who’s the seller OP?
Crown and Caliber. I will not be purchasing from them again, as the only note of damage or wear was a scratch at the 12oclock mark on the bezel. Obviously they missed a lot of other things.

I just spent about an hour discussing the pros and cons of the watch with my local AD. He said that the work looks quality however it wasn’t fixed by Rolex and he’s seen similar repairs before. He said If I plan to sell in the future than I should return it; however if I am keeping it long term than this repair should last the life of the watch. I do plan on passing this watch on when the time is right, if I have kids. My AD reassured me that when it comes time for a service the crown and bezel insert can be replaced; and that I can have the clasp replaced as well - essentially making it new. I think I’ll just keep the watch and take solace in the fact that the weld is stronger in theory..
Notsoprobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:51 AM   #35
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwich Mean Time View Post
This thread just saved me from disaster! My M series clasp is about to come apart. If not for this thread, I never would've known about this issue until it happened.

Any recommendations where I can get this fixed? Would the RSC fix it or make me pay for a new bracelet?

Thanks!
My AD stated they they can replace the clasp. However it’s roughly $800. If you can find someone to do a (quality) weld like mine (rolling my eyes at this..) it’ll most likely be cheaper. My AD also stated that the only option when the 116710/713 came out was to replace the whole bracelet versus just the clasp; so he speculates that the break happened after purchase and it wasn’t covered under warranty. So the P.O. most likely sought out a cheaper replacement prior to the clasps being a replacement option.
Old 21 April 2019, 06:29 AM   #36
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Thanks for the reply. I'd probably opt for a new bracelet rather than spend $800 for just the clasp. Good excuse to get a Rubber B for the time being. ;)

If anyone knows of someone qualified to do a weld job, please let me know.....
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 06:35 AM   #37
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

This is a problem watch. Since you plan on keeping forever I would return this one and go buy a new one from an AD.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:39 AM   #38
Notsoprobro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjknight View Post
This is a problem watch. Since you plan on keeping forever I would return this one and go buy a new one from an AD.
The 116713 is discontinued. This eliminates the option of getting a new one.
Old 21 April 2019, 08:26 AM   #39
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Half of you guys are nuts...

You spend 20 pages on telling somebody to laser weld a scratch, but you wail that a quality repaired bracelet should be sent back, or is somehow tainted.
Old 22 April 2019, 02:45 AM   #40
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

You spend 20 pages on telling somebody to laser weld a scratch, but you wail that a quality repaired bracelet should be sent back, or is somehow tainted.
Amen Larry!!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:48 AM   #41
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

More than half!
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 11:34 AM   #42
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree that the repair is stronger than the original weld, but it's like finding out that your new low mileage car was crashed and repaired and it wasn't disclosed until after the sale.

I would be annoyed at that and would likely return it. This watch has been in the wars. Cracked bezel insert, broken bracelet and the crown too? There are better examples available.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:44 PM   #43
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If AD/RSC checks it out and it all looks good then why be bothered? Get the seller to pay for a new insert and you are in business.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:04 PM   #44
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
Personally, I'd probably return it just because it's far how they described it, and after a quick google search, I've seen several of these available elsewhere.
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 02:49 AM   #45
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

doesn't look OEM ...
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 09:45 AM   #46
ssognefest
"TRF" Member

Clasp failure - Early GMT II Black Ceramic (2007)

My early GMT II GMT MASTER II 116710LN (Black Ceramic) experienced what appears to be a known weak point in the clasp. One of the two welds of my 2007 (serial # starting M04...). I haven't done anything about this and I am looking for some advice.

In the meantime, I received a green Everest band as a gift, and I have been using that in place of the oyster bracelet. The watch isn't going to fall off, but I'd like to get the clasp fixed or replaced.

I wonder if others have had recent success with Rolex replacing the clasp due to this early GMT II clasp flaw. The screw holding the clasp's clip works loose, and when the clip is released, it catches on the clip, puts pressure on the weld (or welds), and one or more breaks.

Also, I wonder if anyone has experience with a local jeweler fixing this problem. It seems like a good manufacturing jeweler with a laser welder could do it. A local AD wanted $600 for a new stainless clasp. Sigh.

I have seen a few threads about this problem from more than 10 years ago but have not found anything recent.

I would attach photos, but I have not posted enough times to attach a website URL.

Thanks for your thoughts.
ssognefest is offline   Reply With Quote