The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #31
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
No one cares about the white tag...
Who’s No one?

Some collectors value completeness. In years to come (watch condition being similar) the watch with “the most complete set” is King.
Old 29 February 2020, 08:15 AM   #32
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
Who’s No one?

Some collectors value completeness. In years to come (watch condition being similar) the watch with “the most complete set” is King.
Agree. Very generalized and conclusory statement.
Old 29 February 2020, 09:39 AM   #33
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericiu View Post
Hi all, I was reading through the forum regarding this... looking to purchase a PM Rolex from a dealer here and wanted some advice.

The watch I want can be had with/without the "white tag" that has the serial number. I've read some ADs purposely keep the white tag and others don't care and will give it to the customer.

How critical to resale value would you say having this white tag is all else being equal (boxes, warranty card, green tag)?

Thanks in advance

I have purchased three Rolex’s from the same Grey Dealer in the last four years The first two Watches were in stock Watches & had someone else’s names on the warranty cards. They came as a full set but without the white tag. The third Rolex had to be sourced & had my name on the warranty card but again without the white tag. All these Watches were brand new & the latest models.all had all there protective stickers in place, the only accessory missing in each case was the white tag. I saved thousands on these three Watches so I don’t really care about the white tags & not having them. If you wish to sell on any of the Watches later it doesn’t really matter if you have the white tag or not, as I have sold one of these Watches on to another Grey Dealer & not having the white tag doesn’t affect the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 February 2020, 10:56 AM   #34
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

white tag is eh nowadays. Used to be a bigger deal, and almost nothing for sale today given the production numbers and quality/endurance of the modern day materials will make for the same kind of "patina" collecting as the past models have on them...so having extra full sets are kind of "whatever" as long as it has the card, box and rolex seal. I could be wrong in 40 years, but not concerned about that haha.
Old 29 February 2020, 11:16 AM   #35
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
That is a little over the top, but hey it's a hobby so the fact there are such eccentric people around doesn't surprise me.
I think I know who @bigblu10 is talking about. This guy (who is totally entitled to his opinion) is adamant that a complete set includes the white tag, bezel protector, outer white box... To each his own.

Yeah, it would be good to have if it doesn't change the price, but I would never pay more for it.
Old 29 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #36
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
The white tag is the easiest of out everything to fake. I doubt it will ever add to resale value in itself.
Old 29 February 2020, 12:28 PM   #37
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew7 View Post
The white tag is the easiest of out everything to fake. I doubt it will ever add to resale value in itself.
You mean the green tag is easiest to fake. White tag has the serial of the watch printed on so how will you fake it? Green tag has no serial and comes with every Rolex so you can just buy one off eBay.
Old 29 February 2020, 12:44 PM   #38
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I think for most it doesn't matter, a few may care, but the more dealers hold these items back the less people will associate it with being a "full set" ....its not like people expect bezel protectors or the shipping coffin.
Old 29 February 2020, 01:05 PM   #39
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
You mean the green tag is easiest to fake. White tag has the serial of the watch printed on so how will you fake it? Green tag has no serial and comes with every Rolex so you can just buy one off eBay.
If I’m selling a watch I know what the serial number is and I could theoretically make my own white tag. Therefore, adding (or not adding) value to what I’m selling.
Old 29 February 2020, 01:10 PM   #40
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Imho completely not needed and should not affect the value of the set in anyway. Condition of the watch and warranty card is the most important when i buy any watch
Old 29 February 2020, 02:23 PM   #41
Ericiu
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the replies! Trigger pulled.. should be incoming early next week. :-D
Old 29 February 2020, 05:10 PM   #42
jakjuventus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Some model, like GMT 16710, might have some info about the bezel color stated in this white tag. But it's the least important thing to look at.
Old 29 February 2020, 05:42 PM   #43
Ihatecheese
Banned

Lol white paper tags equating to completeness. People need to work on their hobbies OCD.
Old 29 February 2020, 07:27 PM   #44
jeorge
"TRF" Member

I picked up a used dsjc from here awhile ago. Came with everything minus stickers. Im glad it came with the white tag. I bought off a huge Rolex collector he insists when he buys new it has to have the white tag to have a complete set.
Old 1 March 2020, 02:12 AM   #45
smym18
"TRF" Member

You don't wear the white tag, and if anyone insists on the white tag, they probably won't wear the watch and want it to sit and "gain value" then sell it trying to get more by advertising a useless tag.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:46 AM   #46
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
The warranty card has the watches serial on too,and have seen quite a few fakes of those that would fool most.And anything with print bar-codes etc, with today's technology easy to fake .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 9 May 2024, 05:41 AM   #47
cOMMANDER
"TRF" Member

First of all, apologies for resurrecting this thread after 4 years.

Personally, while the "white tag" is somewhat subjective in terms of resale value - perhaps to the completeness of the piece, I did figure out a very important aspect to it.

Many models like the OP, DJ, DD, Sub, GMT and Sky-Dwellers have multiple configurations on the same base reference number. However, the subsequent 4 digits of the reference number, following the 1st 6 digits, denote the dial configuration.
It's to be noted that all post 2020 pieces with the new (NFC) owner's cards do not show those 4 digits, which may enable to unscruplous sellers to change these dials in order to sell their piece higher.

The white tag, however, has the complete reference numbers listed (6+4), which prevents this as it would lock the piece's configuration and prevent this misconduct.

And yes, a number of countries are withholding the white tag - my guess is that with the certified preowned programme in effect, they can identify pieces that are sold back to Rolex to whether they had a dial change performed or not. The other reason is to deter the higher resale in the grey market (similar to how they make it mandatory to remove all the stickers and resize the bracelet).

Personally, I would not be concerned if I buy a piece directly from the AD but if buying it from grey dealers, I am aware as there has been a surge in frankenstein pieces lately, so best not to end up buying a piece that had a dial change. Endless amount of complications could occur incuding the warranty being voided or even having failed the pressure tests simply due to an improper assembly following the dial change.
Old 9 May 2024, 08:01 AM   #48
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cOMMANDER View Post
First of all, apologies for resurrecting this thread after 4 years.

Personally, while the "white tag" is somewhat subjective in terms of resale value - perhaps to the completeness of the piece, I did figure out a very important aspect to it.

Many models like the OP, DJ, DD, Sub, GMT and Sky-Dwellers have multiple configurations on the same base reference number. However, the subsequent 4 digits of the reference number, following the 1st 6 digits, denote the dial configuration.
It's to be noted that all post 2020 pieces with the new (NFC) owner's cards do not show those 4 digits, which may enable to unscruplous sellers to change these dials in order to sell their piece higher.

The white tag, however, has the complete reference numbers listed (6+4), which prevents this as it would lock the piece's configuration and prevent this misconduct.

And yes, a number of countries are withholding the white tag - my guess is that with the certified preowned programme in effect, they can identify pieces that are sold back to Rolex to whether they had a dial change performed or not. The other reason is to deter the higher resale in the grey market (similar to how they make it mandatory to remove all the stickers and resize the bracelet).

Personally, I would not be concerned if I buy a piece directly from the AD but if buying it from grey dealers, I am aware as there has been a surge in frankenstein pieces lately, so best not to end up buying a piece that had a dial change. Endless amount of complications could occur incuding the warranty being voided or even having failed the pressure tests simply due to an improper assembly following the dial change.

Old news! This has already been discussed ad nauseum in several different threads, several weeks back. You are late to the party!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2024, 12:00 PM   #49
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
old thread :)

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
Closed Thread