The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 May 2024, 07:44 AM   #1
bkn79
"TRF" Member

GMT Master - flaking lume

I recently inherited this watch from my late grandfather - 1960s GMT in original condition. It's currently being serviced by Rolliworks, just the movement and bracelet.

I don't like how the lume is flaking off the minute hand. I asked them about it, they can send it to the UK to be repaired, color matched to the other hands and dial. I presume the work will be done by James Hyman (the lume alchemist) although I need to confirm.

What is the group opinion on flaking lume? I don't like the way it looks personally, am I alone in this feeling? Would this repair significantly degrade the vintage value? I plan to wear the watch and probably not sell it - although I want to maintain the vintage character (and value).

The repair cost is not insignificant - probably $300-400 (shipping not cheap). However, I assume it is not really realistic to obtain matching hands any other way.

Thanks for any insight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240416_094633(1).jpg (275.8 KB, 271 views)
bkn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 09:25 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Stabilizing lume is a common and acceptable practice to keep vintage hands and lume from further loss.

Leave it alone and it will all crumble to dust and contaminate the movement requiring a full cleaning that otherwise might not be needed.
Old 8 May 2024, 10:25 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

As Larry mentioned, you can stabilize it, or you can repair it, or replace it. I don't think that a well repaired hand will reduce the value compared to the current situation, so it's your choice.

James Hyman is one of many people who can re-lume hands, some using period-correct tritium lume salvaged from other watches. Some of the others are competitors of Rolliworks.
Old 8 May 2024, 01:43 PM   #4
bkn79
"TRF" Member

Thank you both for the response. I think that makes sense. I'll probably go ahead and get the lume fixed then.
Old 8 May 2024, 03:09 PM   #5
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
You have a beautiful watch there, update the thread if you do get it sorted, be nice to see more pictures of this beauty !

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:19 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
That should be a straightforward fix in the hands of James he’s got a great reputation on doing such things.
Great looking watch which will look even better once the hands are redone
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 03:22 AM   #7
bkn79
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, I am very excited about the "restoration" and getting it back in my hands!

It was sitting in a box at my uncle's house for the last 20 years after my grandfather died. It was purchased in ~1966 in Rio. It was still running when it was given to me, but certainly needed servicing. I think all of my family will be happy to see it being worn again.
Old 9 May 2024, 03:47 PM   #8
Patto
"TRF" Member

Any decent watchmaker should be able to re-lume and colour match the minute hand and stabilise the others. I do this regularly by mixing watercolour paint with luminova. It's a fairly routine operation.
Patto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 09:06 AM   #9
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

I know you didn't ask but a correct insert with some wear would elevate this piece because that dial is gorgeous! It wouldn't be cheap but it's a solid investment...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote