The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2024, 10:40 PM   #61
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I don’t think Americans know just how much the rest of the world laughs at them when they call MLB baseball finals, “Thr World Series”. LOL 😂 exactly who participated in that “World Series”. Dumb
The World Series was named such in 1903. The US and Canada had the only pro leagues at that time. Toronto won the World Series in the early 90’s.

There are other pro baseball leagues in other countries today. But all the best players are in the US playing for MLB. Do you think pro teams from other countries would be competitive in a championship series with MLB? Would people watch that on TV? Is there money to be made there? Or, is the current World Series really the only one that matters?
Old 9 May 2024, 11:17 PM   #62
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Calling the American baseball championship the “ World Series” is a little cocky. I do think that teams from Japan, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic Cuba or an All-Star team of players from those places could compete against an American champion.
Old 10 May 2024, 12:15 AM   #63
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper46 View Post
Well I can tell that people from Europe check more highlists of his play than watching the whole match.
Messi?
Old 10 May 2024, 12:28 AM   #64
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
The World Series was named such in 1903. The US and Canada had the only pro leagues at that time. Toronto won the World Series in the early 90’s.

There are other pro baseball leagues in other countries today. But all the best players are in the US playing for MLB. Do you think pro teams from other countries would be competitive in a championship series with MLB? Would people watch that on TV? Is there money to be made there? Or, is the current World Series really the only one that matters?
So then it should be MLB champions not World Series or World Champion. It’s no different than club teams in Europe or Asia or Africa or the Middle East. Baseball and soccer/football and basketball are played on a global basis but the winner in The Premier League in the UK doesn’t have the arrogance to call themselves World Champions. There’s a reason why the FIFA World Cup is such a great tournament. Baseball has the World Baseball Classic that should be considered a true world championship.

The NBA is another league with great players because of the salaries but it’s a club event, not a global competition. And yes, the US has lost a true world championship in basketball to other countries and the amount of foreign born players at the highest level continue to grow.

Baseball and basketball are truly missing an opportunity to not have something similar to the FIFA World Cup.
Old 10 May 2024, 12:32 AM   #65
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I don’t think Americans know just how much the rest of the world laughs at them when they call MLB baseball finals, “Thr World Series”. LOL exactly who participated in that “World Series”. Dumb

We don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 May 2024, 02:18 AM   #66
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
We don’t care.

Oh, I think you just proved, that, you do.
Old 10 May 2024, 02:50 AM   #67
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Oh, I think you just proved, that, you do.

Nope.

Old 11 May 2024, 12:09 PM   #68
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Nope.

Correct, we generally don't care. Most U.S. fans are confident (cocky even?) in our dominance in sports, and we are confident that when our athletes take soccer seriously, we will dominate that sport, too. Sorry to tell you, but our guys jump four feet in the air (like Jordan and others) and run 4.2 forty yard dashes. Will be pretty tough to defend on the pitch when our best athletes choose it as their primary sport and focus on it from childhood. Unfortunately, soccer/football (whatever you want to call it) is not even in our top three . . .

Our best athletes play American football, then basketball, then baseball; ice hockey is also popular in some states. Soccer? Not so much. It's catching on but still has a long way to go.

And this comes from a diehard Arsenal fan who watches every single match and is just waiting for Man City to stumble.
Old 11 May 2024, 05:16 PM   #69
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

The U.S.A have never won 'The World Cup'.

Actually, the United States women's team has won four World Cups, more than any other team. But maybe, if you're lucky, your country's women's team can win one someday.

Old 20 May 2024, 11:27 AM   #70
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Women’s soccer

Old 20 May 2024, 12:10 PM   #71
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Actually, the United States women's team has won four World Cups, more than any other team. But maybe, if you're lucky, your country's women's team can win one someday.

The Women's team that try to make a political statement every time they play? The moment they went woke, they started to lose.
Old 20 May 2024, 04:54 PM   #72
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Correct, we generally don't care. Most U.S. fans are confident (cocky even?) in our dominance in sports, and we are confident that when our athletes take soccer seriously, we will dominate that sport, too. Sorry to tell you, but our guys jump four feet in the air (like Jordan and others) and run 4.2 forty yard dashes. Will be pretty tough to defend on the pitch when our best athletes choose it as their primary sport and focus on it from childhood. Unfortunately, soccer/football (whatever you want to call it) is not even in our top three . . .

Our best athletes play American football, then basketball, then baseball; ice hockey is also popular in some states. Soccer? Not so much. It's catching on but still has a long way to go.

And this comes from a diehard Arsenal fan who watches every single match and is just waiting for Man City to stumble.
Being a good athlete is one thing, but football is far more a game of skill, than athletic prowess. The same can't be said for baseball, man throws a ball that doesn't even bounce at another man that hits it as hard as he can then runs as fast as he can, is not a game of skill to the level of football. Same as American football, which is a game of speed and power but very little skill.

Long story short, the reason America isn't very good at football, is that you need to be technically proficient, not just an athlete to excel in.
Old 20 May 2024, 08:19 PM   #73
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
Being a good athlete is one thing, but football is far more a game of skill, than athletic prowess. The same can't be said for baseball, man throws a ball that doesn't even bounce at another man that hits it as hard as he can then runs as fast as he can, is not a game of skill to the level of football. Same as American football, which is a game of speed and power but very little skill.

Long story short, the reason America isn't very good at football, is that you need to be technically proficient, not just an athlete to excel in.
That’s funny. Clearly, you don’t know what skills are involved in hitting a 90 mph baseball pitch or the individual skills necessary to execute an american football play.

Long story short, soccer isn’t as entertaining to watch as other sports in America and there’s not enough economic interest to compete with the NFL, NBA, or MLB for real revenue. Without the mountains of cash that these sports have to attract the best athletes, soccer in the US suffers from a lack of interest. Whereas in Europe, soccer is where the money is and the best athletes are attracted to the sport at an early age.
Old 20 May 2024, 08:42 PM   #74
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
That’s funny. Clearly, you don’t know what skills are involved in hitting a 90 mph baseball pitch or the individual skills necessary to execute an american football play.

Long story short, soccer isn’t as entertaining to watch as other sports in America and there’s not enough economic interest to compete with the NFL, NBA, or MLB for real revenue. Without the mountains of cash that these sports have to attract the best athletes, soccer in the US suffers from a lack of interest. Whereas in Europe, soccer is where the money is and the best athletes are attracted to the sport at an early age.
I play Cricket, and know exactly what it's like to face a 90mph Cricket ball that doesn't only swing through the air, but bounces in front of you and often deviates from its original path. Which is far more challenging than hitting a 90mph ball that effectively comes straight at you with the possibility of some slight swing through the air. We call those a full toss in Cricket, and more often than not these are an easy boundary (home run in Baseball) for the batsman.
Old 20 May 2024, 09:18 PM   #75
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
European football (soccer) fans ????

Quote:
I play Cricket, and know exactly what it's like to face a 90mph Cricket ball that doesn't only swing through the air, but bounces in front of you and often deviates from its original path. Which is far more challenging than hitting a 90mph ball that effectively comes straight at you with the possibility of some slight swing through the air. We call those a full toss in Cricket, and more often than not these are an easy boundary (home run in Baseball) for the batsman.

If you think major league baseball “effectively comes straight at you,” then you have no idea what you’re talking about. MLB pitchers have all sorts of crazy movement. 2-seamers, sliders, curve balls, sinkers, splitters, change-ups…

Hitting major league pitching is quite possibly the most difficult thing to do on the planet.

Old 20 May 2024, 09:31 PM   #76
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

100% truth. Our best athletes gravitate to other sports.

We’d dominate soccer if we really wanted to.

Soccer in the US doesn’t sell like football, baseball, and basketball. And even ice hockey does much better in most North American cities than soccer.

Old 20 May 2024, 09:45 PM   #77
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
100% truth. Our best athletes gravitate to other sports.

We’d dominate soccer if we really wanted to.

Soccer in the US doesn’t sell like football, baseball, and basketball. And even ice hockey does much better in most North American cities than soccer.

We'd dominate... I can smell your arrogance / entitlement from here!
Old 20 May 2024, 10:09 PM   #78
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m glad there’s only one name for hockey

Carry on ….
Old 20 May 2024, 10:34 PM   #79
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

We'd dominate... I can smell your arrogance / entitlement from here!

Pot meet kettle.

You started all this with your ridiculous claims. And now you’re upset when you’re challenged by reality.

Old 20 May 2024, 10:53 PM   #80
saxo3
"TRF" Member

European football (soccer) fans ????

I.b.t.l.
Old 20 May 2024, 10:55 PM   #81
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Pot meet kettle.

You started all this with your ridiculous claims. And now you’re upset when you’re challenged by reality.

All of what? I'm not upset, far from it! I think it's laughable and ultimately I feel a little sorry for you.

All the very best to you
Old 20 May 2024, 10:59 PM   #82
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I.b.t.l.
Soccer looks to he more contentious than a Patek discussion.
Closed Thread