The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2024, 12:37 PM   #181
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
very good.

Regardless of my preference for the Speedmaster…..At least you’re not masturbating on a watch enthusiast forum ( even a Rolex enthusiast forum) that presumably doesn’t masturbate to things like
“ you’re underestimating my net worth” bs discussions …or my watch is more
“ prestigious/ expensive than yours slap myself on the back” comments. Give me a break.

Also, I don’t know “ brandrea”….but I like his posts. Smart, sensible, classy, unpretentious, cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Team Speedmaster here. I feel nothing when I look at a Daytona. The Speedmaster is understated and elegant in its simplicity. Most important, it’s easier to read than any Daytona. I don’t care if it’s common or ordinary and I certainly don’t care if Swatch makes a plastic version of it, the Speedmaster gives me feels. The only feeling I get from a Daytona is indifference.

Last edited by warrior; 15 May 2024 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: additional comment
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 12:52 PM   #182
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I recently sold my 116500 and got this instead. I prefer it in every possible way

Not a moonwatch but still a Speedy

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 01:10 PM   #183
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I'll be honest, I'm not used to this tsunami of hate on TRF.

Seriously, do you really have to hate these beautiful watches because different manufacturers make them? Seriously, could you really even hate a Daytona if it had an Omega logo on it and love a Speedy if it had a Rolex logo on it? And what would happen if they merged their ownership? Would you hate both or want both?

Why does anyone HERE on TRF think; that someone buys a Speedy just because they don't have the money for a Daytona? Is this a bad joke? Guys, the hype is slowly ending, today a used SS Daytona can be bought for $16-17k and there are no crowds for it. Compare that to a 45th anniversary Snoopy.

What the hell is going on here?
Bwaaahhaaaaa haaaaa.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 01:14 PM   #184
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
i have a Panda and moon watch - I don't know why but I actually prefer the manual wind, hesalite crystal Omega more for legibility - I mean a Daytona is a Daytona as has been said - different league but I can read the Omega far easier than the Panda
I haven't owned a Speedy but do own a Daytona and as a timing instrument agree it's not overly legible to old folks like me, young bucks no problem no doubt. I also own a Panerai and agree the frequent manual winding makes ownership a more tactile experience.

Still think the Daytona is generally perceived as a "better" watch for various reasons and competes in a different space - wrongly or rightly.
Old 15 May 2024, 01:25 PM   #185
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
This is a three year old thread! Oh, and Speedy moon watch is iconic. Daytona is “just OK for me, dawg!”

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Noooooooooo.
Old 15 May 2024, 11:43 PM   #186
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Agreed. Speedy is a watch enthusiast’s watch. Daytona is a “watch bro” watch. I’ve always had both, not sure what that means! Both are great watches with interesting stories. I’m waiting for my white dial Speedy and suspect that will be my favorite, based on the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Master View Post
Just my opinion.

When I see someone with a Speedmaster, I know they have horology knowledge.

When I see someone with a Daytona, I know they care about status and may not know much about watches.

Obviously the above is a generalisation.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 12:36 AM   #187
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
This stuff here cracks me up. I appreciate and like both watches. Much like the black sub I had, I find the speedy a tad boring. Personal taste only as I like to be different and like a touch of color.

Several schools of thought I have seen on this forum and all are wrong:

Speedy is for true watch enthusiasts!!! - in my best stuck up Ivy League professor voice.

Daytona is for new money d bags who know nothing about watches and only want to “flex”.

Speedy owners can’t afford the Daytona….

While I am sure there are cases, these mass generalizations really get in the way of any meaningful discussion and continue the argument see saw for all eternity.

Whichever watch you choose, I hope to hell you don’t spend that kind of money based on someone else’s taste.

Unfortunately, if you’re a tool, there isn’t a watch that can fix that……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 04:45 AM   #188
yetione
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Does the new release Speedy white dial change anybody's thinking on the the desirability of a Speedy? I am hoping to see it soon. The white dial may make it wear big.
I'm not sure how but the white dial actually wears smaller than the black.... to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Agreed. Speedy is a watch enthusiast’s watch. Daytona is a “watch bro” watch. I’ve always had both, not sure what that means! Both are great watches with interesting stories. I’m waiting for my white dial Speedy and suspect that will be my favorite, based on the pics.
The white is significantly better in person.... you won't be disappointed
yetione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 04:55 AM   #189
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

White likely looks smaller because of the contrast in the dial, vs the black dial with black bezel. Most watches with contrast will appears smaller compared to those that don't.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 05:16 AM   #190
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Everything you said below in response about the white speedy is correct; I saw one in person at the Omega boutique in NYC. Compared it to the black sapphire sandwich side by side.

I like both a lot …but if I’m being honest, the white is more striking aesthetically than the OG black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetione View Post
I'm not sure how but the white dial actually wears smaller than the black.... to me.

The white is significantly better in person.... you won't be disappointed
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 05:24 AM   #191
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I own several speedmasters (apollo 35th meteorite, 2017 speedy tuesday, and the OG x-33), and 1 daytona. I enjoy all of them, but the daytona probably wears and looks the best to me.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 06:08 AM   #192
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Have fun with your plastic Swatches, oh i mean speedmasters.... such a watch enthusiast' watch! Daytonas are for the flexers who know nothing!!
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 08:33 AM   #193
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post

Daytona looks better, wears better...

Old 16 May 2024, 09:43 AM   #194
MP777
"TRF" Member

100% Daytona
You guys know Omega makes their bracelets, crystal, dial, and some cases in Asia right? Compared to Rolex who makes everything in Switzerland.

Just compare the quality of the bracelet and clasp, it’s night and day.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 10:17 AM   #195
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP777 View Post
100% Daytona
You guys know Omega makes their bracelets, crystal, dial, and some cases in Asia right? Compared to Rolex who makes everything in Switzerland.

Lol.
I remember the days where a common criticism of Rolex was their Swiss made bracelets with hollow links and pressed Deployants.
Then the criticisms faded away somewhat when the SELs were introduced.
Most of the criticism was from the Omega crowd that had pinned bracelets. Not screwed

Now we see how the dynamic has changed because one is made in Asia and the other is made in Switzerland.

For my money, if the Asians can make it as good then that's OK by me as long as it's reflected in the price, which it seems to be the case generally speaking.
Besides, a bracelet is a wear component/disposable and given enough wear and tear will need to be replaced decades down the track.
Asians can make things just as well as anyone else. Just more cost effective.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 05:01 AM   #196
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

I currently have 3 omegas that I post all over my IG. And I'd rather have the Daytona anyday
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 09:17 AM   #197
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP777 View Post
100% Daytona

I remember this was theorized on the forums about a decade ago because there were some half-links and such that seemed to be from Asia. (Although there was ambiguity because it's equally possible that they were Swiss made but shipped to that country's repair department from an Asian Swatch warehouse.)

However Omega has come out and said flat out that every part in an Omega is made in Switzerland, which is quite believable and not surprising considering the size of the Swatch group and how automated part making is. It would probably cost them more to source from abroad.
Scholar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 05:22 PM   #198
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
I remember this was theorized on the forums about a decade ago because there were some half-links and such that seemed to be from Asia. (Although there was ambiguity because it's equally possible that they were Swiss made but shipped to that country's repair department from an Asian Swatch warehouse.)

However Omega has come out and said flat out that every part in an Omega is made in Switzerland, which is quite believable and not surprising considering the size of the Swatch group and how automated part making is. It would probably cost them more to source from abroad.
Good point
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 05:31 PM   #199
sager
"TRF" Member

I own a Daytona 116500 and the black dial speedy. Saw the white dial speedy in the metal and really like it. I may switch out my black face for a white face one.

I believe there is room in any collection for both the white dial speedy and a Daytona.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 11:36 PM   #200
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think you should have both Speedmasters and Daytonas.

They’re very different so why limit yourself?

For both I would get full PM on a bracelet though.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 02:25 AM   #201
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Speedy >> 6 digit Daytona for me.

16520 Zenith >> Speedy.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 03:18 AM   #202
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

Daytona for the same reason I prefer my sub to my previous amp's. Thickness. The daytona like the sub is so much thinner on the wrist it is ridiculous.
Kingcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 03:55 AM   #203
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I agree with all the people saying the Omega really competes against the Tudor Chrono, not the Daytona.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 08:47 AM   #204
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I agree with all the people saying the Omega really competes against the Tudor Chrono, not the Daytona.

This is a genuinely absurd thing to say.

The Speedmaster is one of the most important chronographs of all time alongside the El Primero. The Daytona is a fantastic movement and watch, but comes nowhere close on a historic level.

The idea that the Speedmaster is more a peer of Tudor's Breitling-powered Sub homage is just ridiculous.
Old 19 May 2024, 08:54 AM   #205
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Daytona vs Omega moon watch

Quote:
This is a genuinely absurd thing to say.

The Speedmaster is one of the most important chronographs of all time alongside the El Primero. The Daytona is a fantastic movement and watch, but comes nowhere close on a historic level.

The idea that the Speedmaster is more a peer of Tudor's Breitling-powered Sub homage is just ridiculous.

Historical significance has nothing to do with my statement. I’m speaking more to build quality, pricing and value retention.

And as far as historical significance goes, that dead horse has beaten so badly by Omega many people do not care anymore. It’s become a turnoff.

Old 19 May 2024, 09:13 AM   #206
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Historical significance has noting to do with my statement. I’m speaking more to build quality, pricing and value retention.

And as far as historical significance goes, that dead horse has beaten so badly by Omega many people do not care anymore. It’s become a turnoff.

I'm not talking about the moon stuff. It's just a genuinely excellent chronograph.

As for your point, the Daytona was a joke of a watch that Rolex couldn't give away (which is a bit funny because it was a much better looking watch when it was unpopular) until it became a hype piece relatively recently, so the whole pricing and value retention thing is a weird point.
Old 19 May 2024, 09:19 AM   #207
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm not talking about the moon stuff. It's just a genuinely excellent chronograph.

As for your point, the Daytona was a joke of a watch that Rolex couldn't give away (which is a bit funny because it was a much better looking watch when it was unpopular) until it became a hype piece relatively recently, so the whole pricing and value retention thing is a weird point.

Old 19 May 2024, 09:39 AM   #208
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Daytona vs Omega moon watch

Quote:

Ok, and Omega still has a hard time moving Speedmasters. Anyone with zero purchase history can walk in and buy one at a discount nearly anyplace, anywhere.

So does that make a Speedy a “joke of a watch?” By your use of the term, it apparently does.

Old 19 May 2024, 09:50 AM   #209
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Look, I don’t hate the Speedy. It’s just not substantial enough to compete against the Daytona. Put it up against the Tudor Chrono anyday though.

I would even like to own a Speedy eventually. But it’s not going to be as a Daytona replacement, it will be as a beater watch. I don’t mean that as a pejorative either. Just a good watch I can bang around and not worry too much about.

I would say it will be my “go anywhere do anything” watch but I won’t be able to let it get anywhere near water of course.

Old 19 May 2024, 12:11 PM   #210
yetione
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Look, I don’t hate the Speedy. It’s just not substantial enough to compete against the Daytona. Put it up against the Tudor Chrono anyday though.

I would even like to own a Speedy eventually. But it’s not going to be as a Daytona replacement, it will be as a beater watch. I don’t mean that as a pejorative either. Just a good watch I can bang around and not worry too much about.

I would say it will be my “go anywhere do anything” watch but I won’t be able to let it get anywhere near water of course.

Why bother? Save some money, you sound more like a Tudor Chrono guy
yetione is offline   Reply With Quote