The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 1 August 2010, 04:26 PM   #91
Speed
"TRF" Member

Yup...You should use the right tool for the job. Always.
Old 1 August 2010, 05:48 PM   #92
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
My Casio well out performs my Rolex in every area except prestige. It's my $15 beater and I love it to death!

Old 1 August 2010, 06:31 PM   #93
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea View Post
My Dad has been wearing his for 13 years now. He welds, grinds, fibreglass, hammers, saws, and is just about to sail around the world with my stepmother on a 36ft yacht. Sure, it has a few battle scars including some weld spots and the bracelet is streatched to hell but he only owns one watch and it has never left his wrist. I tried the whole "daily beater" thing and after 2 weeks I was itching for my Rolex. Like I said before, can't take it with you when you go, no matter how shiny and new you keep it... Just enjoy it!!

PS: Mind you don't scratch that LV with all that polishing and cleaning!
Daniel,
I have a nice pair of formal shoes, would I wear them while working in my workshop? Or if I am digging in my garden?

No.... I tend to keep them for when I wear my suit.

I have a great pair of timberland boots, and a nice comfortable pair of hiking boots, but I wouldn't wear them with my suit.

Get the idea?
Old 1 August 2010, 08:58 PM   #94
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronus View Post
I wear my GMT everyday. I don't get your last statement at all. Are you suggesting that if you have one good quality item, you should only use that item? What about all the people who have multiple Rolex or mix-match of other brands? I'm sorry, not trying to be rude, but your comments are a bit confusing.
Nothing rude about it, this is a debate after all and you shouldn't be worried about offending anyone!

I'm one of those with multiple Rolex, I have an Explorer for every day and a DJ with diamond dial for dress (which probably confuses you guys even more). I fully understand the concept of not mowing the lawn in your Armani suit even though it would probably not damage it and I also understand the notion of not wearing a nice watch for hazardous work. While I only really take the DJ out on weekends and for suit and tie stuff, it has nothing to do with the durability of the DJ, It is simply a taste/style thing.

Do I wear my Explorer every day? Yes.
Does it sometimes get scraped? Yes.
Does it hurt every time it gets scraped? Yes.
Is it worth the risk to wear a nice watch every day? Yes.

My argument comes after wearing Rolex pretty much 24/7. For me, nothing else will do now and the thought of wearing a cheap plastic watch for any extended period would depress me. As strange as it may sound, I would rather look down and see nothing... but that is just me!
Old 1 August 2010, 09:10 PM   #95
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyterrier View Post
Daniel,
I have a nice pair of formal shoes, would I wear them while working in my workshop? Or if I am digging in my garden?

No.... I tend to keep them for when I wear my suit.

I have a great pair of timberland boots, and a nice comfortable pair of hiking boots, but I wouldn't wear them with my suit.

Get the idea?
Funny you should say this but I have a pair of Cats that cost WAY more than the formal shoes I use and you're right, I would use the Cats for hiking any day and leave the formal shoes at home. As you can imagine, this has nothing to do with cost. As I said before, it is to do with taste. Some people like plastic watches. I'm not one one of them.

If I go hiking, my Explorer goes with me. One the beach? No problem, just rinse it out when I get home. It will be in for a service in a few years where it will come back looking like new anyway. Sure it may cost as much as a Casio each time, but it's worth it. Send your Casio in for refurbishment and they will laugh at you.

Rolex is designed to be worn, Casio is designed to be disposable.
Old 1 August 2010, 09:35 PM   #96
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Look closely at a Casio watch. You don't see any defects in them. FOr a $100 watch.
Old 1 August 2010, 10:35 PM   #97
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:

Rolex is designed to be worn, Casio is designed to be disposable.
This makes no sense? A g shock is near indestructible so it would not ever be sent back for a service and if it's not broken why would someone dispose of it? Do you know someone that works for casio that can confirm it was designed to be disposable? I always thought they were desiged to be worn a life time and go through hell during it. Easier to replace than a rolex in most instances then yes I can agree with that but don't make general statements that basically puts down someone who likes casio. I would hate to think all people think rolex is designed for only rich snobby people. Because I am neither and I love rolex.

What more can a watch go through and not be broken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts5y9...=youtube_gdata
Old 1 August 2010, 11:13 PM   #98
Sose
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
What more can a watch go through and not be broken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts5y9...=youtube_gdata
You have put up this link more than three times, and I still can't get it to work. Any chance you could tell us what search terms you used and who made the video so that we can search for it?

I think I know which one it is though. You and I are both from WUS and I used to be a regular in the G-Shock forum.
Old 1 August 2010, 11:22 PM   #99
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
This makes no sense? A g shock is near indestructible so it would not ever be sent back for a service and if it's not broken why would someone dispose of it? Do you know someone that works for casio that can confirm it was designed to be disposable? I always thought they were desiged to be worn a life time and go through hell during it. Easier to replace than a rolex in most instances then yes I can agree with that but don't make general statements that basically puts down someone who likes casio. I would hate to think all people think rolex is designed for only rich snobby people. Because I am neither and I love rolex.
You have taken what I said out of context. I also said "Send your Casio in for refurbishment and they will laugh at you". IMO, anything that is not designed to be serviced or repaired when broken is disposable. It might be "indestructible" (which i doubt) but it will still look like crap after a few years of abuse.

I also think you're misunderstanding me here. I have nothing against the brand, the quality, the models, or their durability. I'm simply saying that since I have had Rolex, I simply will not even consider a plastic or cheap watch. It does not mean they are bad in any way. I'm just not wearig them!
Old 2 August 2010, 12:24 AM   #100
Stipey
"TRF" Member

Riseman......

Or perhaps my stunning retro 80s Casio Databank...

Old 2 August 2010, 12:37 AM   #101
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
From a "watch snob" I just bought my first G Shock (which is also my first digital watch). I love it. Got a Frogman on the way as well. I mainly bought those and a Timex Ironman to train with but I find I am wearing the new G and the Timex a lot.

So I say BOTH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 20.jpg (68.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 16.jpg (60.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 2 August 2010, 12:40 AM   #102
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm simply saying that since I have had Rolex, I simply will not even consider a plastic or cheap watch. It does not mean they are bad in any way. I'm just not wearig them!
But Daniel, to some people a Rolex is a cheap watch!
Old 2 August 2010, 12:58 AM   #103
chronus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My argument comes after wearing Rolex pretty much 24/7. For me, nothing else will do now and the thought of wearing a cheap plastic watch for any extended period would depress me. As strange as it may sound, I would rather look down and see nothing... but that is just me!
Good to know that no offense has been taken or received here

But... I think you're missing the point on the main issue here. When you say you'd rather have nothing on your wrist than a Rolex, then what are going to do when you are needing a function that Rolex does not have? These "cheap" Casios have function. So, basically you are saying that if you want to go on a jog and you want to time yourself you would not use a digital watch (in this case, a Casio) because it is "cheap" and plastic? And you would just wouldn't time yourself? Or what about the compass feature on my watch for if I'm out navigating? Or the temperature gauge? Or one of the many other functions it has. I would be an idiot to take my Rolex out in the wilderness just to look pretty and tell the time and date.

Another issue I take note is that you call these watches "cheap". First of all, there is more technology in my 300.00 Pathfinder than my Rolex. Second, relatively speaking, $300.00 for a digital plastic watch is fairly expensive based on it's market. You cannot judge "cheapness" in price by across different market segments. If I went out and bought a $50 hamburger, yes in comparison to my Rolex it is inexpensive, but I don't think anyone on here would say it was cheap. By your example, someone with a super expensive Patek Phillipe should be calling Rolexes "cheap" and they would be right.

So, assuming that you are not referring to price, but quality when you are describing "cheap", I would have to say that your thoughts are misguided. These watches are not cheap or inexpensive. They are engineered timepieces that do many things. And since when did plastic become a pejorative term? Is plastic now a bad thing, because I must have missed that day in school.

I'm a watch guy, not just a Rolex guy.
Old 2 August 2010, 01:16 AM   #104
clew84
"TRF" Member

And, IMO, the Casio and Timex watches are VERY light compared to a Sub or SD which makes them much better to run/train with. Plus, the variety of different functions (lap chrono and storing those laps, interval timers, stopwatch, etc.) makes them very useful as well in those instances.

Don't get me wrong - I will wear my SD most of the time but there is definitely a place in the rotation for these "cheap" watches.
Autodromo Prototipo
Old 2 August 2010, 02:54 AM   #105
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronus View Post
Good to know that no offense has been taken or received here

But... I think you're missing the point on the main issue here. When you say you'd rather have nothing on your wrist than a Rolex, then what are going to do when you are needing a function that Rolex does not have? These "cheap" Casios have function. So, basically you are saying that if you want to go on a jog and you want to time yourself you would not use a digital watch (in this case, a Casio) because it is "cheap" and plastic? And you would just wouldn't time yourself? Or what about the compass feature on my watch for if I'm out navigating? Or the temperature gauge? Or one of the many other functions it has. I would be an idiot to take my Rolex out in the wilderness just to look pretty and tell the time and date.

Another issue I take note is that you call these watches "cheap". First of all, there is more technology in my 300.00 Pathfinder than my Rolex. Second, relatively speaking, $300.00 for a digital plastic watch is fairly expensive based on it's market. You cannot judge "cheapness" in price by across different market segments. If I went out and bought a $50 hamburger, yes in comparison to my Rolex it is inexpensive, but I don't think anyone on here would say it was cheap. By your example, someone with a super expensive Patek Phillipe should be calling Rolexes "cheap" and they would be right.

So, assuming that you are not referring to price, but quality when you are describing "cheap", I would have to say that your thoughts are misguided. These watches are not cheap or inexpensive. They are engineered timepieces that do many things. And since when did plastic become a pejorative term? Is plastic now a bad thing, because I must have missed that day in school.

I'm a watch guy, not just a Rolex guy.
Very true! To some people, Rolex would appear cheap, my arguement is that those people would choose purely for taste and not value! Im my case, if I owned one of the said Patek's, I would probably not want to wear the Rolex. If it turned out that I liked the Rolex better for some reason, I would not have purchased the Patek as I would not wear it. You get where I am coming from now?

Why not like the Casio better than Rolex for example? There is nothing wrong with that! They are good watches, I actually like the look of a few that have been posted in this thread. I appreciate that they are expensive as far as watches are concerned (most people think £100 or more on a watch is expensive). I'm not knocking Casio, I'm just saying that If I wanted a Casio, I would have one. If I had both a Rolex and a Casio, I would probably wear my favourite one and the other one would get left in the box. Hence my statement of why have the Rolex in the first place if you prefer to wear your Casio all day.

I firmly believe that you should wear the best and use the best you have. Have a favourite suite? Wear it! Have a favourite watch, wear it! Casio or Rolex? Who cares! Wear it!

To all you "daily beaters" out there..... WEAR YOUR ROLEX! (or other fav watch) You will appreciate it more 20 years from now when you look back on a watch that has been with you through thick and thin... You don't want to looks down at a shiny new polished example that has no sentimental value at all because it sat in the safe for most of its (and your) life.
Old 2 August 2010, 03:41 AM   #106
Mikefxd

Watch: Milgauss GV
I would say that the G Shock is the Rolex of digital watches...
Old 2 August 2010, 03:42 AM   #107
Sose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very true! To some people, Rolex would appear cheap, my arguement is that those people would choose purely for taste and not value! Im my case, if I owned one of the said Patek's, I would probably not want to wear the Rolex. If it turned out that I liked the Rolex better for some reason, I would not have purchased the Patek as I would not wear it. You get where I am coming from now?

Why not like the Casio better than Rolex for example? There is nothing wrong with that! They are good watches, I actually like the look of a few that have been posted in this thread. I appreciate that they are expensive as far as watches are concerned (most people think £100 or more on a watch is expensive). I'm not knocking Casio, I'm just saying that If I wanted a Casio, I would have one. If I had both a Rolex and a Casio, I would probably wear my favourite one and the other one would get left in the box. Hence my statement of why have the Rolex in the first place if you prefer to wear your Casio all day.

I firmly believe that you should wear the best and use the best you have. Have a favourite suite? Wear it! Have a favourite watch, wear it! Casio or Rolex? Who cares! Wear it!

To all you "daily beaters" out there..... WEAR YOUR ROLEX! (or other fav watch) You will appreciate it more 20 years from now when you look back on a watch that has been with you through thick and thin... You don't want to looks down at a shiny new polished example that has no sentimental value at all because it sat in the safe for most of its (and your) life.
WELL SAID!!
Old 2 August 2010, 04:00 AM   #108
chronus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Like I said before, I wear my GMT everyday. When I need the function of the Casio, for what I'm doing, or even if I just feel like it, I change watches. I fundamentally disagree that you should have just one and wear it all the time. Your philosophy is just so strange to me. There is no "perfect" watch or watchmaker. If Rolex followed your train of thought, they would make one watch in one style.

Do you eat your favorite food everyday?
Watch your favorite movie everyday?
Wear your favorite clothes everyday?
Drive your favorite car everyday? (if you have multiple)
etc...

If not, then why is a watch so special that you need to have some weird commitment to it? Why can you not enjoy several different types of watches from different market segments? Why not use the best tool for the job when applicable? I'm really trying to understand your logic, but it just doesn't quite add up for me. To each his own though.
Old 2 August 2010, 04:04 AM   #109
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sose View Post
You have put up this link more than three times, and I still can't get it to work. Any chance you could tell us what search terms you used and who made the video so that we can search for it?

I think I know which one it is though. You and I are both from WUS and I used to be a regular in the G-Shock forum.
I am sorry i posted it wrong. Here you go, its a classic vid. I am glad to see a fellow WUS member, hope all is well. cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSaciL-tNg8
Old 2 August 2010, 04:15 AM   #110
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
From a "watch snob" I just bought my first G Shock (which is also my first digital watch). I love it. Got a Frogman on the way as well. I mainly bought those and a Timex Ironman to train with but I find I am wearing the new G and the Timex a lot.

So I say BOTH!
Which Frogman model do you have on the way? Solar Atomic GWF-1000? or an older model? I have an 8200 and love it, the Frogman is a classic dive piece and a collectors dream
Old 2 August 2010, 04:49 AM   #111
clew84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which Frogman model do you have on the way? Solar Atomic GWF-1000? or an older model? I have an 8200 and love it, the Frogman is a classic dive piece and a collectors dream
I am really excited about getting one! I ordered a GW-225c, the 25th Anniversary Master Blue. Really liked it and the smaller size over the new 1000 series. Plus, I really liked that it was a limited model. Found one from a reputable seller in Singapore.
Autodromo Prototipo
Old 2 August 2010, 08:49 PM   #112
status.six
"TRF" Member

It has to be both for me, no way could I wear my Rolex for work ! I have to say I do enjoy my G-Shocks too :)

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01772.JPG (140.8 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by status.six; 2 August 2010 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 2 August 2010, 09:28 PM   #113
Sose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by status.six View Post
It has to be both for me, no way could I wear my Rolex for work ! I have to say I do enjoy my G-Shocks too :)

J
Ok, I'll bite. What do you do for a living?
Old 2 August 2010, 10:38 PM   #114
status.six
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite. What do you do for a living?
Small clue ;)

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (58.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 2 August 2010, 11:12 PM   #115
Sose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by status.six View Post
Small clue ;)

J
Mighty "small" clue!

LOL

Thanks!
Old 3 August 2010, 12:02 AM   #116
rolexnovice

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
both

dressy and sporty

And Eric! I love that Datejust, that is about as classy as you can get (Datejust) next to a Cellini.
Old 3 August 2010, 01:00 AM   #117
status.six
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mighty "small" clue!

LOL

Thanks!
He he yeh, still not got the hang of my iPhone, the pic was meant to be really small. Doh!!
Closed Thread