The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2012, 05:10 PM   #1
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
Seeking advice on $2000+ leather briefcase

I was at the Fossil store in Orlando the other day, and saw a variety of very nice leather briefcases and attaches, designed to carry a few files and a laptop. They were priced around $200. I almost bought one, but my wife stopped me. She said that a briefcase, like a watch, defines a man-- at least during the first impression phase, and that I should spend at least $2000 on a brand name bag.

Well, my wife is bias. She has about $40,000's worth of purses and bags, mostly LV's, but I tend to agree with her in principle. That said, I'm finding that LV attaches or briefcases are kind of feminine for my taste, and they don't seem to be designed for the serious business traveler in terms of utility. Perhaps there's a more masculine LV, but I'm not aware. Outside of LV, I'm not familiar with the brands. Would Members be gracious enough to share their thoughts/opinions/knowledge on high-end briefcases or bags that have name recognition and utility?
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 05:13 PM   #2
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/produc...d_a/index.html

Mr Bond carried one

or this
http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/produc...5_a/index.html

http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/eshop...espresso-suede
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
Go for gucci brief case ( black leather with white and red stripes on the center for a contemporary look ). The soft sided Gucci is around $2000 but the Hard one is $3000+.
http://www.purseblog.com/briefcases/briefcases.html
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 05:37 PM   #4
warren G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 3861
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Cla...=8&category=83

^ really high quality stuff. different leather colors to pick from.
Old 3 May 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Get a backpack and a nicer watch.
Old 3 May 2012, 08:12 PM   #6
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
You missed an amazing 90 year old monogram vintage Louis Vuitton brief case that went last week for $2,400. Attached is supposedly LV but not the classic monogram. If I had a call for a real briefcase then I would consider one. As it is I use a Bally semi soft briefcase with strap which fits my PC and papers and has proved very resilient. I am sure there will be a Bally outlet in Florida something to consider, they usually have better deals in the outlet than in the stores. The signature Bally chocolate or black with stripe are suited to a man. I have 3 pieces as luggage (suit bag/carry all/trundler) they are nice and always are noted. The wife has the same set but in LV,which is more feminine I think, but a classic vintage LV briefcase does not get cooler than that IMHO.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTH-LOUI...ht_12347wt_893
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 09:02 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_ord View Post
I was at the Fossil store in Orlando the other day, and saw a variety of very nice leather briefcases and attaches, designed to carry a few files and a laptop. They were priced around $200. I almost bought one, but my wife stopped me. She said that a briefcase, like a watch, defines a man-- at least during the first impression phase, and that I should spend at least $2000 on a brand name bag.

Well, my wife is bias. She has about $40,000's worth of purses and bags, mostly LV's, but I tend to agree with her in principle. That said, I'm finding that LV attaches or briefcases are kind of feminine for my taste, and they don't seem to be designed for the serious business traveler in terms of utility. Perhaps there's a more masculine LV, but I'm not aware. Outside of LV, I'm not familiar with the brands. Would Members be gracious enough to share their thoughts/opinions/knowledge on high-end briefcases or bags that have name recognition and utility?
Like our watches you pay quite a high price for the name on the dial and today all watches are made to tell the time.Same for all the designer stuff either pay a high price for the just the name.Or buy a product that will be just as good plus in many cases with more functionality and at a much lower price.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Hartmann.... The ultimate in understated quality brief cases. The company has been around since 1877 and makes a quality product. Anyone who knows briefcases/luggage will recognize and respect.

Last FOREVER and like a lot of things I like, Rolex included, not quite "in style" but at the same time so classic that it is never out of style.

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/product...Cases_Attaches
Old 3 May 2012, 09:21 PM   #9
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Here are my feelings on briefcases.

The classic hard cases that our fathers used, which defined a business man's image, are not applicable in today's business world, unless you're an attorney who carries papers around on a regular basis. The typical working man today carries little to no paper, few writing implements, and little else. We use our computers to do virtually everything.

So what you need is not a classic briefcase, but a soft laptop case. I would never suggest spending serious money on a laptop case, because they are less rigid and take more of a beating. They will not survive 40 years of heavy use, like my dad's briefcase did. Laptops are heavy. Laptop cases don't have feet to stand them on. The leather is soft. It bunches up when you set the bag down. Give it 20 years of regular use, and it'll be ready for the trash bin.

I would spend the money for a hard case, because it's a classic, timeless look, and will last virtually forever, but until laptops get significantly lighter, it's not feasible to carry that weight around without a shoulder strap.

Besides all that, computers and technology are changing rapidly. What's applicable today will probably not be applicable in 10 years. Laptops may be super-light, and hard leather-bound cases will be fashionable again (maybe with a lightweight carbon fiber shell).

Why spend $2000 on something that may go out of fashion and will definitely fall apart? I say go for the $200 case and wait to see how things evolve. (That's what I did!)
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 09:53 PM   #10
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I have to agree with your wife on this one. If you aspire to be an executive, you should project that image.

In most cases (pun intended), two words are key:
  • Italian
  • Leather
Ferragamo is tops on my list, but I am biased. Check out their website under large leather goods, but also check out Georgio Armani. The Gucci is a logo everyone knows. As with any other accessory or clothing article, details are "everything".

You need to cleary define what it will be used to carry and who you are trying to impress (and what impresses them, if known). Those should define your criteria.
Old 3 May 2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
If you are wearing your DSSD into the meeting no one will notice your briefcase.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 10:20 PM   #12
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Hartmann.... The ultimate in understated quality brief cases. The company has been around since 1877 and makes a quality product. Anyone who knows briefcases/luggage will recognize and respect.

Last FOREVER and like a lot of things I like, Rolex included, not quite "in style" but at the same time so classic that it is never out of style.

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/product...Cases_Attaches
+1

If you are looking for the classic, hard sided briefcase, Hartman is the gold standard. The belting leather ages well and lasts forever.

I agree with other comments that your appearance should reflect your aspirations however hard sided cases are not functional enough for most people who carry laptops.

If you want something more modern, go with Ferragamo or Mont Blanc. If you want something more fashionable, go with LV or Gucci.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 10:32 PM   #13
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Asprey make very nice briefcases. I have a couple of their bridle leather briefcases, purchased from the Bond Street HQ in London, and they are great. Very well made.

Tanner Krolle also make great briefcases. I have a heavy bridle leather case from them and it is absolutely bulletproof. They have an excellent bespoke programme as well.

The other obvious (British) candidate would be Swaine Adeney Brigg, already mentioned in a post above.

You can't go wrong with any one of the above companies.
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 10:39 PM   #14
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlinboy View Post
this.
Old 3 May 2012, 10:40 PM   #15
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlinboy View Post
this. I cant fathom paying that much for a briefcase, Id rather spend it on a watch.
Old 3 May 2012, 11:09 PM   #16
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
I've always been partial to Dunhill for their luggage. But if you have to go LV to "match" your wife's tastes, then check out their Taiga line.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 11:17 PM   #17
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
i would buy something of very high quality, but that is understated. i personally don't like have some other guy's initials all over my stuff. a small logo is ok, but don't let it define the piece. I just purchased a vintage coach briefcase that i carry around, but i just use it to carry my ipad and maybe a 13" laptop to work and back.
Old 3 May 2012, 11:41 PM   #18
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Korchmar makes very nice bags in the <$1,000 range. No designer label but very nice leather and available online for decent prices. I bought a barristers bag as I did not feel comfortable carrying a nylon messenger bag into court and meetings like every other <40 year old lawyer does nowadays. Guess I am getting old.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 11:47 PM   #19
Cade's Dad

Watch: AP ROO
I have a leather laptop attache from Tumi and love it. However, if you want to spend a little more coin check out Mont Blanc as they have some great looking bags.
Cade's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 12:20 AM   #20
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
As several have noted above, if you want an expensive briefcase then by all means go ahead, but to me a man's briefcase is not analogous to a woman's purse.

Women definitely notice what kind of purse other women have and in some circles a high end purse is an unofficial requirement. So I can understand your wife's perspective.

I don't think people notice a man's briefcase to nearly the same extent though. I see plenty of guys with nice watches, cars etc. and a basic nylon briefcase, either because they prefer a tougher material or just don't care and buy whatever is on the shelf at Staples.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 12:32 AM   #21
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I would never spend that kind of money on something that get banged around, sits on the floor and could get wacked into door jams and other obstructions.....IMHO
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 12:44 AM   #22
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I would never spend that kind of money on something that get banged around, sits on the floor and could get wacked into door jams and other obstructions.....IMHO
I see manhy comments along this line, but remember that most people would same the same about paying $$ for a watch.

It's all relative.
Old 4 May 2012, 04:19 AM   #23
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
this. I cant fathom paying that much for a briefcase, Id rather spend it on a watch.
What's so hard to fathom? You could say that about anything, including the watch you'd rather spend the money on.

For me, it's not a case of either the briefcase or the watch. It's a case of getting both.
Old 4 May 2012, 04:23 AM   #24
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
I agree, something of decent leather will get a nice worn look after a few years and will keep on ticking. I have a very utilitarian one that I bought a few years ago for $100, and it gets better looking with age.

I know a guy who is a HUGE NY Yankees fan. He has a case made of glove leather and stiching, just like a baseball glove. Casual, but very cool. I think he paid around $1,000 for it.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 04:29 AM   #25
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The OP wasn't asking if you would spend that kind of money. He was asking for recommendations for high-end briefcases at a certain price point.
Old 4 May 2012, 04:57 AM   #26
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
I meet with C level decision-makers and don't have a need for a briefcase as I use my laptop. At least in the business circle where I play, briefcases are of a bygone era. This does have the effect of placing more importance on other identifiers such as clothes, shoes, watch, etc.

Sorry for not answering your question, but do you truly have a need to carry a briefcase?
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 05:21 AM   #27
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
You can find a very high quality briefcase for 1/4 of that price. If you want to pay more for a name brand that's your choice. I'm sorry but I'd have to have more money than sense to spend $2k on a briefcase. I don't think I've even seen a briefcase since Richard Gere in Pretty Woman.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 07:26 AM   #28
david_ord

Wow, I'm profoundly appreciative of everyone's valuable comments and advice. The quality of members and the camaraderie here never ceases to amaze me.

To clarify, when I said "briefcase" I didn't mean it in the strict, traditional sense like the boxy one carried by Richard Gere in Pretty Woman (good one Gunter ;)). Those are cool too, for more formal occasions like court, which I don't do much of. Here's a lose interpretation of "briefcase," provided by Feras (thanks bro!!) http://www.purseblog.com/briefcases/briefcases.html . Note that their interpretation includes a wide variety of styles.

Personally, I think this one, suggested by Warren, is an absolute beauty http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Cla...=8&category=83. The $200 Fossil "briefcases" that initially impressed me had that appearance. If only I could get a bag like this with a name like LV or Gucci, I'd be a happy man.

Other comments/advice from Paladin, Greg, Craig, and Peter are also appreciated. I'll let you guys know what I find.
Old 4 May 2012, 07:43 AM   #29
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
You won't beat Delvaux, a Belgian brand, for sheer beauty, craftsmanship and heritage. Their products are simply stunning, understated and reassuringly expensive.

http://www.delvaux.com/#/products/men/hand-model
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2012, 08:04 AM   #30
david_ord

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
At least in the business circle where I play, briefcases are of a bygone era.

Sorry for not answering your question, but do you truly have a need to carry a briefcase?
Good question. I travel on day trips. I usually carry a laptop, a file folder of that trip's project, and a stack of legal sized contracts. I'm not sure what the right bag for that is. The worn-out soft leather samsonite messenger bag I've been carrying feels too informal. A square "richard gere" briefcase opens up nice, but might be a bit on the "too formal" side. In any event the traditional gere briefcase is not practicable dashing from gate to gate-- at least not with my puny deltoids.