The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 April 2014, 04:09 AM   #1
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the markets
Frozen shoulder

Has anyone ever been inflicted with adhesive capsulitis aka frozen shoulder?
It's quite brutal, painful and loss of range of motion. I have it on my non dominant side, now my "good" side is starting. Other than taking Aleve, physical therapy which I am doing, there isn't much you can do except wait it out which can take up to 2 years

I did decline a cortisone shot to the joint that the Ortho offered, I might rethink that.

Please share your experience if you've had this, anything that worked for you, and how long did it take to resolve.
126334 DJ41 in blue, fluted, on jubilee
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126621 YM Chocolate dial Root Beer
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy
126711CHNR GMT II Root Beer
bgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 04:39 AM   #2
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

I was having problems with my rotator cuff a couple years back when I was power lifting (I weighed 170 lbs and I could bench 385 lbs). My doctor gave me these anti-inflammatory pills, and they got me back to almost 100%.

I had to give up the power lifting though.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 04:50 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
I was having problems with my rotator cuff a couple years back when I was power lifting (I weighed 170 lbs and I could bench 385 lbs). My doctor gave me these anti-inflammatory pills, and they got me back to almost 100%.

I had to give up the power lifting though.
All humans have to give up power lifting eventually.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 04:59 AM   #4
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
All humans have to give up power lifting eventually.
True. But I had to do it almost right when I turned 27! I was really hoping to make it a few more years, and get my bench to that 405 mark; because benching 8 plates just looks plain awesome!
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 06:21 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hope your pain responds to the Aleve. I did not know surgery wouldn't work.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 07:05 AM   #6
KKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIC
I've had it in my right shoulder, and then about 3 years later in my left shoulder. Cortisone shot didn't help, Aleve didn't help. Fortunately there was no pain unless I extended my shoulder too far. Once, when walking, I reflexively raised my arm above my head to brush away a giant spider web I had walked under. The AGONY! The Ortho gave me a bunch of stretching exercises to do which helped a lot, but both shoulders took about a year to resolve completely. Just have to grin an bear it, I suppose . . .
Old 25 April 2014, 08:09 AM   #7
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB View Post
I've had it in my right shoulder, and then about 3 years later in my left shoulder. Cortisone shot didn't help, Aleve didn't help. Fortunately there was no pain unless I extended my shoulder too far. Once, when walking, I reflexively raised my arm above my head to brush away a giant spider web I had walked under. The AGONY! The Ortho gave me a bunch of stretching exercises to do which helped a lot, but both shoulders took about a year to resolve completely. Just have to grin an bear it, I suppose . . .
Yes, I understand completely, nothing helps. Did you have decreased range of motion in the shoulder? Yes PT exeercises help a little, but a year to resolve seems the norm Problem is I can't sleep with the pain, and don't want narcotic pain pills if I can avoid it. When I asked, the Ortho dr made me feel like a druggie for asking. I've never taken a narcotic in my entire life so I couldn't understand that reaction and lecture. I just said forget it.
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy
Old 25 April 2014, 08:18 AM   #8
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Yeah, I had some real issues with frozen shoulder. Wife actually had to drive me to and from work for a while as I had a manual transmission.

Take the corticosteroid shot in the shoulder. My problem was that I waited and likely made it worse. While Percocet's are fun, use them sparingly...and just as needed in the beginning until the swelling goes down.

Different for everyone. Mine was horrible for 6 months. then took about a year and a half to go back to true normal.

Lots of range of motion exercises, stretching...NO WEIGHTS for a while. IIRC, I also did a lot of heat/cold treatment. Not sure if it helped or not, bout it did give me something to do instead of crying.
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriz View Post
Has anyone ever been inflicted with adhesive capsulitis aka frozen shoulder?
It's quite brutal, painful and loss of range of motion. I have it on my non dominant side, now my "good" side is starting. Other than taking Aleve, physical therapy which I am doing, there isn't much you can do except wait it out which can take up to 2 years

I did decline a cortisone shot to the joint that the Ortho offered, I might rethink that.

Please share your experience if you've had this, anything that worked for you, and how long did it take to resolve.
Yes, cortisone didn't help. What stunk was I was very good at baseball, not a good thing to happen when you play outfield. Ruined that idea.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 08:20 AM   #10
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Yes, I understand completely, nothing helps. Did you have decreased range of motion in the shoulder? Yes PT exeercises help a little, but a year to resolve seems the norm Problem is I can't sleep with the pain, and don't want narcotic pain pills if I can avoid it. When I asked, the Ortho dr made me feel like a druggie for asking. I've never taken a narcotic in my entire life so I couldn't understand that reaction and lecture. I just said forget it.
The Docs are coming under increasing scrutiny and pressure to stop with all
the narcotics(hydrocodone, oxycontin, vicodin) and the latest substitute is tramadol. So that's likely why you got the 3rd degree. That said, (I'm not a doc), the Doc should be ashamed of himself for the lecture part....I mean if you need a pain killer you should get one, with the warning that you might get addicted and have a tough time getting off the drug(s)........

BTW, I would try the injections, they do work for the most part.
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 11:59 AM   #11
KKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIC
Quote:
During the time the shoulders were "frozen", I did have decreased range of motion. Any attempt to extend the arm beyond a certain point would cause pain. The stretching exercises increased the range of motion, but moving the arm past the extended limit still produced the same amount of pain. After the frozen shoulder ran it's course, I think my range of motion of the shoulders seems to be a little less than it was before the problem, but I can't be sure. Luckily, there was little/no pain while sleeping so I didn't need any narcotics.
Old 25 April 2014, 12:13 PM   #12
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
So what causes something like this?
Is it related to 'overuse' - as in intensive exercise - or to an injury of some sort?
It is interesting that it can apparently resolve eventually.
Medicine is now suggesting some 'arthritic' conditions may be virus related.
Best wishes for an early recovery.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 12:41 PM   #13
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
So what causes something like this?
Is it related to 'overuse' - as in intensive exercise - or to an injury of some sort?
It is interesting that it can apparently resolve eventually.
Medicine is now suggesting some 'arthritic' conditions may be virus related.
Best wishes for an early recovery.
It can sometimes develop after shoulder surgery, injury, and some with diabetes and thyroid disease are susceptible. However like myself, the vast majority get it for unknown reasons. I haven't had any of the conditions i listed. It's bizarre really.
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy