The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 November 2014, 01:47 AM   #1
harrishc
"TRF" Member

Servicing by RSC vs trusted sellers

I just picked up a good condition 16750, but it does have some signs of use and I m thinking about bringing it in for a slight polish. Apologize for all the newbie questions as I m new to the world of vintage Rolexes.

1. My watch has no paper, does it matter if I take it to RSC?
2. It has a replacement plexiglass, will this be a problem? My seller insisted me that most vintage pieces have replacement plexiglass, is this really the case? Will RSC replace it with factory plexiglass?
3. For polishing, does RSC do a significantly better job than others?

Any thoughts?
harrishc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 02:06 AM   #2
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
if there is cracking tritium on the hands of your GMT, rolex might insist on replacement. If they feel it needs certain service replacement parts to bring it back up to "rolex standards" they will force you to update and replace certain parts during service.. If the watch is in good condition and has no real major cracks, then they should give you the option to decline certain parts.

If you specify to them you want a new crystal, they will replace it, if the crystal is aftermarket, they will replace it no matter what and confiscate the aftermarket glass.

They will do a good polish job.. It's hit or miss with RSC Texas.. I have seen some stellar polish jobs and some horrible ones..

You can decline a polish and just let them do a service, then when you get it back, send it off to ABC for a perfect polish job. OR, you can just let ABC service the entire watch.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 02:20 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishc View Post
I just picked up a good condition 16750, but it does have some signs of use and I m thinking about bringing it in for a slight polish. Apologize for all the newbie questions as I m new to the world of vintage Rolexes.

1. My watch has no paper, does it matter if I take it to RSC?
2. It has a replacement plexiglass, will this be a problem? My seller insisted me that most vintage pieces have replacement plexiglass, is this really the case? Will RSC replace it with factory plexiglass?
3. For polishing, does RSC do a significantly better job than others?

Any thoughts?
You cannot take it to the RSC for a "light polish"; they only refinish the case or bracelet in conjunction with a full service.

1. No, you don't need any paper. The RSC will service any authentic Rolex watch.

2. A plexi crystal should always be replaced when serviced. It is part of the waterproof sealing system.

3. The RSC uses templates to ensure proper contours are maintained and tolerances are not exceeded. Nobody else does.
Old 27 November 2014, 02:39 AM   #4
harrishc
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Super useful. Any idea what the typical turnaround time with RSC is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harrishc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 02:44 PM   #5
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You cannot take it to the RSC for a "light polish"; they only refinish the case or bracelet in conjunction with a full service.

1. No, you don't need any paper. The RSC will service any authentic Rolex watch.

2. A plexi crystal should always be replaced when serviced. It is part of the waterproof sealing system.

3. The RSC uses templates to ensure proper contours are maintained and tolerances are not exceeded. Nobody else does.

I had RSC carry out a refinish on my bracelet and case without a full service last year with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2014, 06:16 AM   #6
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

The OysterQuartz templates must have gone missing when RSC Dallas serviced mine a few years ago. They screwed up both the case bevel and bracelet. Maybe they only do curves, not chamfers and flats.

Never again.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2014, 01:02 PM   #7
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

Any pics of the current condition?
Old 29 November 2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
RSC Hong Kong will do a polish only. It costs a few hundred hk dollars. Go to the RSC and talk to one of the girls there. If your watch was originally purchased in HK, they will work on it straight away, if bought overseas and if you have no papers, they send the serial number to Geneva for verification, which takes two weeks.

A quote on newer watches takes 20 minutes to get, but on older ones it takes two weeks. I suspect that they outsource vintage work, but can't prove it. Turnaround on newer watches can be as fast as ten days, but usually about three weeks for vintage. So totally it can be close to two months.

Also, they will not replace any visible parts without asking you, except the date wheel, so mention that you want to keep it in. But you may have to sign a waiver if the tritium is unstable.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote