The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 January 2019, 01:12 AM   #1
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

Which is the lesser of two evils for maintaining white gold from yellowing?

I read an article that all white gold eventually yellow. But two of the many examples that can accelerate the yellowing process include (but not limited to) are (1) oil from your skin/body and (2) detergents and soaps. So, my question is, what is the lesser of 2 evils? I have a WG that I want to keep from yellowing to the best of my ability. I don't wear my DD to the gym, so I don't sweat that much onto the watch itself, but I do wash it twice a week to ensure there are no oily finger print marks on it. So, will the foam pump soap I use (which I think is pretty mild and rinses off easily) accelerate the yellowing of WG more, or should I consider washing the watch once a week because limited body oil will yellow the watch less?

Any thoughts and opinions out there?
Rolexlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:21 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexlover123 View Post
I read an article that all white gold eventually yellow. But two of the many examples that can accelerate the yellowing process include (but not limited to) are (1) oil from your skin/body and (2) detergents and soaps. So, my question is, what is the lesser of 2 evils? I have a WG that I want to keep from yellowing to the best of my ability. I don't wear my DD to the gym, so I don't sweat that much onto the watch itself, but I do wash it twice a week to ensure there are no oily finger print marks on it. So, will the foam pump soap I use (which I think is pretty mild and rinses off easily) accelerate the yellowing of WG more, or should I consider washing the watch once a week because limited body oil will yellow the watch less?

Rolex 18 Ct gold is just that no matter who makes it 75% pure gold the other 25% of the alloy added is mostly copper/nickel in the yellow plus now they add a bit of silver too.As for the white gold the gold alloy is mixed with a small amount of Platinum or Palladium plus other alloys like nickel to turn yellow gold into white.But its not Rhodium plated in any way, but keeps its white colour well over the years and does not yellow like many of the Rhodium plated white gold. And with the so called Everose gold a tiny amount of Platinum is added to the copper gold alloy mix which again is supposed to keep its colour over the years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:24 AM   #3
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Rolex WG will not turn yellow. There are plenty of examples of decades old Day-Dates that are still maintaining their original WG color.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:28 AM   #4
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

I looked through some of the older posts where there was a pic of a white gold bezel of the DJ turned completely yellow. Is this the era in Rolex before they started mixing Platinum into their gold mixtures? In other words, are the modern Rolex a safe bet from yellowing? Why would they call it Everose and not Everwhite? Sorry, lots of questions here, but when I look at older posts on the topic, there's varied answers and the pic of the yellowing bezel scared me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Rolex WG will not turn yellow. There are plenty of examples of decades old Day-Dates that are still maintaining their original WG color.
Old 27 January 2019, 01:38 AM   #5
mangoseed
Banned

I always considered WG and RG to be a bit of deception and an inaccurate description, the gold itself does not change color it is just in a mixture with other metals that change the color of the alloy. Gold will always be yellow.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:46 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Sorry, lots of questions here, but when I look at older posts on the topic, there's varied answers and the pic of the yellowing bezel scared me.
How much faith do you put into a possibly poor image(s) that may not be processed and could have the wrong white balance on a bad monitor that is not set to any color profile?

I'll go with Peter's explanation that they do not yellow.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:48 AM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
You're good...no worries. It's not going to yellow.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:50 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As Peter says it is not rhodium plated, it is alloyed with platinum/palladium to give the everwhite colour.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:59 AM   #9
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
I always considered WG and RG to be a bit of deception and an inaccurate description, the gold itself does not change color it is just in a mixture with other metals that change the color of the alloy. Gold will always be yellow.

I think it is a common sense that pure gold is yellow. Any deviation from it is a result of the mixture with another alloy. Perhaps they should call it Whitened Gold or Rosed Gold, to avoid any confusion?
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:03 AM   #10
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
I think it is a common sense that pure gold is yellow. Any deviation from it is a result of the mixture with another alloy. Perhaps they should call it Whitened Gold or Rosed Gold, to avoid any confusion?
It would be a little less misleading at least, from a chemistry perspective I do find it bothersome.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:44 AM   #11
BOA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD
How about a link to the article?
BOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:48 AM   #12
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Rolex WG will not yellow. No Rhodium coating, it's uniformly colored throughout.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:52 AM   #13
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

Here's the link to the original article. But after hearing what everyone had to say, I'm comforted to know that the article referred to "jewelry with rhodium plating". Thanks everyone for your perspectives & insights!

http://www.jewelrykind.com/how-to-av...urning-yellow/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA View Post
How about a link to the article?
Old 27 January 2019, 02:55 AM   #14
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You're safe, mate. Enjoy that beauty of Rolex wg!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:17 AM   #15
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I buy gold, and have seen white gold rings from the 1920's, they have not turned yellow.
They maybe darker than they were originally, but not yellow.
So, I would say the color change is greatly exaggerated.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 04:19 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
You're safe, mate. Enjoy that beauty of Rolex wg!
I'll second that!

Love the smurf, brother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (195.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Monday.jpg (154.4 KB, 116 views)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 04:27 AM   #17
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'll second that!

Love the smurf, brother.
Wow, that wg Daytona + DD combo is killer, my friend!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote