The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2024, 01:56 AM   #31
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP
What is the point of your post?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 02:10 AM   #32
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Someone who has done their research on an item often knows more than the sale person selling it.

Take cars for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, but the two sentences in your prior post seem contradictory.

In my experience, I don’t shop for high end products just to test the sales people, demonstrate my knowledge or make a statement about the sales process. If I’m there, it’s because I have a sincere interest in purchasing a product, ostensibly from that vendor, if they can provide it. I feel odd going in to these places just kicking tires, bs’ing about the watch world, looking at stuff I don’t really want and sucking up to an SA just to establish a relationship.
Old 6 February 2024, 02:14 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Ah yes, should say “unusual”. I think you probably knew that though
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 02:19 AM   #34
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post

In my experience, I don’t shop for high end products just to test the sales people, demonstrate my knowledge or make a statement about the sales process. If I’m there, it’s because I have a sincere interest in purchasing a product, ostensibly from that vendor, if they can provide it. I feel odd going in to these places just kicking tires, bs’ing about the watch world, looking at stuff I don’t really want and sucking up to an SA just to establish a relationship.
What?

I normally look for a contest of wits and information with SAs working retail. The feint and parry, the back and forth.

OH HO HO! The helium escape valve is only important for deep sea commercial diving, not snorkeling!

What a zinger!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 02:42 AM   #35
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Did it make you feel good after having been treated so nice
Old 6 February 2024, 03:02 AM   #36
stevestil
"TRF" Member

ok....
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:03 AM   #37
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
The other thing that's confusing - this forum in the decade or so I have been here is usually the most supportive place where people can ask questions, learn, share joy and occasionally vent.

This topic sees to divide

To repeat the most used phrase on the internet, maybe its just me
Don’t worry, some will read and some won’t. Some will get it and some won’t.

I get your reason for sharing and I think I also understand the motivation behind your recent visit. When this whole mess with availability began I made it a point to reach out via text to my SA at my old AD. One day he stopped answering even though I wasn’t in the market. He was really cool and knew his watches so I considered him somewhat of a “friend”. He dropped me, I dropped them. Plain and simple.

I am by no means a wealthy individual but I know what I can afford. My current AD knows that if they can’t deliver, I don’t really give a crap. I can buy from Aamir, Takuya or Brian after I’ve used them as my “fitting room” it’s nice to have that level of flexibility.
Old 6 February 2024, 03:08 AM   #38
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Don’t worry, some will read and some won’t. Some will get it and some won’t.

I get your reason for sharing and I think I also understand the motivation behind your recent visit. When this whole mess with availability began I made it a point to reach out via text to my SA at my old AD. One day he stopped answering even though I wasn’t in the market. He was really cool and knew his watches so I considered him somewhat of a “friend”. He dropped me, I dropped them. Plain and simple.

I am by no means a wealthy individual but I know what I can afford. My current AD knows that if they can’t deliver, I don’t really give a crap. I can buy from Aamir, Takuya or Brian after I’ve used them as my “fitting room” it’s nice to have that level of flexibility.

Thank you. Just expressing an opinion - not looking for awards or to be flamed. That used to be common

Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:14 AM   #39
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

I'm so so confused. But you sound chuffed..so I'm.chuffed for you!
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:19 AM   #40
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Turned the tables on an AD this weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP
What is the point of your post?

Not trying to change the world with this post, not trying to look smarter than anyone. I think people read into it what they will.

I think the first sentence sort of said that it didn’t have a major point wasn’t trying one up the AD. But since you asked, I guess I will continue to take a beating, but just pointing out

1. I have an interest and would like to purchase an oyster perpetual and would’ve happily purchased one if they had one to sell

2 assuming that they don’t have one to sell I was using my time to at least try them on

3 there are no shortage of Rolex watches. But the supply chain has now been disordered in that the more common and user point of contact is a gray market dealer at the Rolex boutique or authorized dealer. Business people will understand this. highly opinionated, Rolex fans, young ones, rich ones old ones whatever may not understand that this is highly unusual.

4 I have no interest in the tactics of this A.D. stuff. I asked them if they have one to sell. If not, I’ll buy it somewhere else for me. It’s fine and simple. I don’t feel entitled I don’t feel disrespected I don’t feel smart I don’t feel rich I don’t feel poor it’s just an unusual way to do business. anyone here and it seems many people here disagree with that. Fair enough it’s just my opinion.

5 I was not trying to show off about the helium escape valve. I know very little about these watches, comparatively speaking to people in here that’s mostly why I’m here.
I didn’t expect the guy to know he was just some guy with the tag heurer trying to learn about Rolexes, and was excited for what seemed like his first purchase. I was him one day years ago and I was super happy for him.

5a. Feel free to disagree, but if you don’t know the most basic, and I mean basic functions of one of the most common watches, you probably shouldn’t be considered one of the “Rolex experts “in the shop, you have no business selling a five figure watch if all you can do is unlock the case with gloves and hand it to someone. We’re not talking minutia here this is almost like not understanding. How shoelaces work in shoes.

6 in a very positive friendly exchange, it felt unusual that both a sales person, and myself had a Ted agreement that I was essentially wasting her time that she had to sort of offer for me because she couldn’t sell me watches, but she could show me watches I didn’t insist on it. I asked politely, and she was happy to spend the time with me. Again maybe this is life in 2024 but it’s unusual. Just because Birkin bag does it doesn’t mean it’s normal.

I thought this post might be received a little bit more favorably, or ignored. Not so flamed but honestly either way it’s just an opinion. Have fun.

Ps. To the guy that wrote something to the effect of “that was too long so either I’m happy for you or I’m sad for you”, that was brilliant! That alone was worth the ribbing from all these other comments.

Sold but wish I didn't
Old 6 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #41
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry, I talk text and Siri has not caught up to my New England accent. I should take the time to edit these better before I hit send
Apologizing for any grammatical or spelling errors. Maybe I’ll just become a reader of this forum and not a full participant.

Sold but wish I didn't
Old 6 February 2024, 03:38 AM   #42
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Not trying to change the world with this post, not trying to look smarter than anyone. I think people read into it what they will.

I think the first sentence sort of said that it didn’t have a major point wasn’t trying one up the AD. But since you asked, I guess I will continue to take a beating, but just pointing out

1. I have an interest and would like to purchase an oyster perpetual and would’ve happily purchased one if they had one to sell

2 assuming that they don’t have one to sell I was using my time to at least try them on

3 there are no shortage of Rolex watches. But the supply chain has now been disordered in that the more common and user point of contact is a gray market dealer at the Rolex boutique or authorized dealer. Business people will understand this. highly opinionated, Rolex fans, young ones, rich ones old ones whatever may not understand that this is highly unusual.

4 I have no interest in the tactics of this A.D. stuff. I asked them if they have one to sell. If not, I’ll buy it somewhere else for me. It’s fine and simple. I don’t feel entitled I don’t feel disrespected I don’t feel smart I don’t feel rich I don’t feel poor it’s just an unusual way to do business. anyone here and it seems many people here disagree with that. Fair enough it’s just my opinion.

5 I was not trying to show off about the helium escape valve. I know very little about these watches, comparatively speaking to people in here that’s mostly why I’m here.
I didn’t expect the guy to know he was just some guy with the tag heurer trying to learn about Rolexes, and was excited for what seemed like his first purchase. I was him one day years ago and I was super happy for him.

5a. Feel free to disagree, but if you don’t know the most basic, and I mean basic functions of one of the most common watches, you probably shouldn’t be considered one of the “Rolex experts “in the shop, you have no business selling a five figure watch if all you can do is unlock the case with gloves and hand it to someone. We’re not talking minutia here this is almost like not understanding. How shoelaces work in shoes.

6 in a very positive friendly exchange, it felt unusual that both a sales person, and myself had a Ted agreement that I was essentially wasting her time that she had to sort of offer for me because she couldn’t sell me watches, but she could show me watches I didn’t insist on it. I asked politely, and she was happy to spend the time with me. Again maybe this is life in 2024 but it’s unusual. Just because Birkin bag does it doesn’t mean it’s normal.

I thought this post might be received a little bit more favorably, or ignored. Not so flamed but honestly either way it’s just an opinion. Have fun.

Ps. To the guy that wrote something to the effect of “that was too long so either I’m happy for you or I’m sad for you”, that was brilliant! That alone was worth the ribbing from all these other comments.

I liked that guys answer, too.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 05:18 AM   #43
Milkshake
Banned

Cringe post made worse by the shockingly poor writing
Milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:38 AM   #44
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

My local Rolex AD sells Patek, Rolex and TAG only regards watches , but the other half of the shop sell jewellery. They sell 12-20 Pateks in an entire year and about 150 Rolex watches. Dunno about TAGs but I am guessing around 400ish. But the Jewellery is another matter. Huge sales by comparison. The same AD, about 15 years ago had a similar selling profile. Strangely the cabinets were full of Rolex watches for sale , but the overall sales sheet at the end of the year was not that different. In those days there was no "allocation" , when they sold a Rolex , they replaced it in the next order etc etc ... For buyers and enthusiasts, times may seen unusually , but not sure it matters for many ADs.
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:44 AM   #45
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
What?

I normally look for a contest of wits and information with SAs working retail. The feint and parry, the back and forth.

OH HO HO! The helium escape valve is only important for deep sea commercial diving, not snorkeling!

What a zinger!
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:22 AM   #46
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

You seem to like Rolex but don’t appreciate the sales process and then acted up when they apparently said they may have a watch to sell to you next week? What happened to you that caused you to act like that?
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:36 AM   #47
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I’m always polite to sales reps. They don’t control the market and I don’t expect them to be complete watch nerds. And probably not coincidentally, I have never has a poor experience at an AD.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:03 AM   #48
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I’m always polite to sales reps. They don’t control the market and I don’t expect them to be complete watch nerds. And probably not coincidentally, I have never has a poor experience at an AD.

Yeah, that reminds of being stranded at the airport one time. Our flight was cancelled because of thunder storms up and down the east coast. This one couple proceeded to yell and scream at the poor airline associate at the counter, as if it was her fault. It was awful. Why would anyone do that?

I’ve always had a great rapport with all ADs, too.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:06 AM   #49
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

OP

Don’t sweat the pile-on guys.

You clarified your original post, so people either understand or they don’t. No big deal.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:16 AM   #50
Xelor5513
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: what I wear
Sorry, Ed, you're too hard to read. I need a couple Tylenol.
Xelor5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 11:03 AM   #51
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am a little disappointed, but they are just watches.

At the end of the day, and across generations, what I think will prevail is that treating customers well is just good business. Watches are no exception. Temporary supply side imbalance is no exception. How you treat customers when you don't need them, rewards you in times when you do need them.

I myself get confused with all the people that think this is "entitlement" but so be it. Social media has exacerbated the tribe mentality of us vs them, and you see it here, 2 camps, Many folks that think this is bulls%$#, and many folks that think those folks are entitled ( and there are people who are entitled no doubt). I liked it better when we were just talking about the watches.

Just expressing my own thoughts here,
Having owned businesses why oddly all relied on customers, funny notion that it, I take maybe a different view of the current and temporary AD experience....which echos the erosion of customer service everywhere.

and maybe I concede Im just too old to keep up with how the world works today...
If you grow up in world with cell phones, you cant appreciate a world that didnt have them, if you grew up in a world where customer service mattered, you can be frustrated to live in one where it often doesn't.

Customer service is terrible today. Most of these people dont give a sxxt!

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 11:11 AM   #52
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I understand what you said and I agree with you.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 11:14 AM   #53
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
LOL, I didn't try a second time.

I ran out of steam at the start of the 7th paragraph

I’m gonna wait for the movie to come out

Joking OP, but I’m not for anyone piling on sales associates. They just get told what to do by those higher up. I’m always polite to them, and everyone I meet for that matter. I’m very thankful that I have a good relationship with them. And that is one of the main reasons I don’t bother visiting other ADs, especially when I’m out of town. It is a waste of their time and my own time too.

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 12:11 AM   #54
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
I've read it twice and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say!

Exactly

Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 12:14 AM   #55
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
You really showed them!

Hah!

Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 09:59 AM   #56
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The other thing that's confusing - this forum in the decade or so I have been here is usually the most supportive place where people can ask questions, learn, share joy and occasionally vent.

This topic sees to divide

To repeat the most used phrase on the internet, maybe its just me
Not divided, just differently perplexed by your "story".
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:03 AM   #57
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Probably one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever sorted through on TRF.
The only thing I was able to ascertain is the OP may/may not be in a same sex relationship. Which I could care less about and adds nothing to the story about nothing.
DVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:12 AM   #58
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:28 AM   #59
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I can assume this was Lee Michael’s at La Cantera?
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 05:26 PM   #60
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Hey OP I understood your original post. I think the punctuation (or rather, lack thereof) from the voice-to-text is probably what confused many.

Just one thing to add, and I know this from experience: when a sales associate says "We might be getting one next week," it's usually code for "We already have it but are still sussing you out." If they did not have the watch in stock, they'd really only know what's coming in a day or two prior (max) when the distributor provides them with a manifest.

I did like how you proverbially "switched the tables" on them.