The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2021, 03:27 PM   #31
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I like subs, gmts, and the bb58 on bracelet. It sounds like your not getting anything at retail so I’m thinking maybe the silver dial yachtmaster or a 214270 explorer for 13k and under. If you need a date, yachtmaster. The explorer is a bit boring i guess but i think it’s highly underrated. It wears so well.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 03:35 PM   #32
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laostuh View Post
116710LN Ceramic GMT Black discontinued. Market prices aren't too crazy right now. But I only see them going up.
I doubt they will appreciate much. The black bezel 16710 commands the least premium of the three. But at least with the 16710 you can swap bezel inserts easily. Not so with the 116710.
Old 30 November 2021, 03:51 PM   #33
njc313
"TRF" Member

I don’t get the Snoopy at all
njc313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 03:58 PM   #34
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
If you're set on Rolex, the reality is it's pay up or shut up. If you buy one at least you won't lose money, which is more than enough consolation for the entry price.

Look past the hype of the Snoopy speedy, which isn't a daily anyway. Go with the classic 3861 Moonwatch.
BB58 worth considering for a simple daily workhorse.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 04:39 PM   #35
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Never chose another brand (outside of PP, AP, RM sports) in lieu of Rolex.

If you want Rolex, acquire Rolex.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 04:53 PM   #36
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
YM40, DJ41 or EXP II in that order
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 05:11 PM   #37
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
$8-13k for a daily... this market sucks

In terms of the options you listed, I’d definitely get a DJ41. That’s what I’m targeting for my next watch too. I want something more dressy but I don’t want a pure dress watch either.

I haven’t decided what dial color I want yet, but I definitely want one with a fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet.

Cartier Santos and an Omega Aqua Terra are also options for me (and you). Both are great watches, but if I went down that path, I’d probably regret not getting what I really wanted.

You can’t just walk in and get a DJ41, but if you’re patient, then you can get what you want in about 6 months.

The new IWC is nice too, but I’m not a fan of the JLC Polaris. My 2 cents…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 05:13 PM   #38
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Reminds me of the questions that float across the local " Nextdoor " app. For those not familiar it is supposed to be a non political way for neighbors to help each other...lost cats, moaning about people driving too fast, lots of "what were all those sirens last night" kind of talk.

Another theme is "I need a new furnace..does anyone know of an honest, reliable, available today HVAC company who uses only the best brands but is also really inexpensive?"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 05:38 PM   #39
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Agree with most of the points in this thread.

I think a great daily at a reasonable price is the OP36. If you can get the new model series (126000) from an AD, then that would be a great buy. You might find the discontinued 116000 series at pre-owned range of 6k to 7k. Those are great, too.

Other than that, outside Rolex, I think the next best daily is the Black Bay 58.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb58.jpg (244.4 KB, 558 views)
Old 30 November 2021, 06:08 PM   #40
Daveh777
"TRF" Member

Agree with the suggestions on the BB58. I have a Sub from 7 years ago (before things went insane) and BB58, but the BB58 is THE ideal daily wearer for me and a real gem with the DNA and feel of the earliest Diver’s watches.
Daveh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:14 PM   #41
good_timesroll
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I agree with what some of the folks here have said already. Bb58 or an AT would be great options.
Old 30 November 2021, 06:36 PM   #42
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
I totally LOVE the JLC Polaris Date. It looks and feels superb on the wrist.

It has a pretty unique look faithful to a historic piece (Memobox diver with alarm to alert when to stop the immersion), without the weight (and cost) of the alarm complication.

Wearing a Polaris Date gives you the satisfaction of wearing a fantastic, elegant and versatile piece from a top in-house manufacture (the manufacture for manufactures), and which not many would recognise from across the room! That is a definitive plus to me, adding to the ease of wear daily anywhere anytime. I love that branding on the dial is minimal! It takes self-assertiveness to do this!

I know this model is somewhat controversial (mostly because it does not comply with the "elegant watch" assumption from JLC, it is a "sports watch"), but it is one of my personal fav for a piece that is obviously quality but completely under the radar. A perfect daily watch for me.

Borrowing a photo from JLC's website...

WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:48 PM   #43
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh777 View Post
Agree with the suggestions on the BB58. I have a Sub from 7 years ago (before things went insane) and BB58, but the BB58 is THE ideal daily wearer for me and a real gem with the DNA and feel of the earliest Diver’s watches.

Totally agree. If it had a date i wouldn’t wear my new sub as much. The price point is so good and it’s very vintage in size.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 07:02 PM   #44
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I have had several Grand Seiko models and could never understand the bracelet comments. It is not exactly like a Rolex bracelet, but I never felt they were sub-par .

I wouldn't dismiss the Speedmaster for the reasons mentioned. Take a look at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics models. Classic Speedy Pro but with more interesting dials and bezels. I honestly think it's a better looking watch than the Ceramic-aytona.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 07:26 PM   #45
csong825
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Lots of great suggestions. I would say figure out what watch you REALLY want, secondary market prices aside. While other options may be a better value currently, nothing will satisfy the itch adequately and you may end up spending more money. For example, I had a 114060 for years but eventually became bored with it and wanted a BLNR. Given grey market prices, I tried to substitute it with a 16570 then a 16710. Eventually sold both and just ended up getting a BLNR. Sounds like you want a Rolex so start there.

My suggestion would be a 16700/16710. Perfect daily, enough WR to go in the water, and GMT function for travel. You can also swap out the bezel and bracelet and end up with 6 watches in one (pepsi/coke/black with oyster/jubilee) so you never get bored with it. 16570 is also a good option but maybe less versatile.

If 5-digit isn’t for you then, 116710LN is a good value for what it is; less common and more interesting than a Sub IMO. OP/DJ in black or YM shouldn’t be too hard to get close to retail.

csong825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 07:57 PM   #46
kegan
"TRF" Member

kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 08:13 PM   #47
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Seamaster Diver or the 300 are great choices.
IWC Spitfire Chrono series too.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 08:16 PM   #48
Spurman
"TRF" Member

Get a longines.
Or with more dough.
Get a jlc moonphase ultra thin. Or a reverso tribute. They r darn good watches.
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 08:18 PM   #49
Spurman
"TRF" Member

Tbh. A rolex sports sd. Sub. Gmts. R super nicr to have daily.

But can consider longines conquest or hydroconquest.
Or move up a bit. Omegas.
Or dressy ones like jlcs.
They r obtainable
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 08:19 PM   #50
A971
"TRF" Member

Mentioned above, YM 40mm is super solid.

But I think they are also going over retail by a decent clip? Kind of the way it is now…

OP, in that price range, you can have pretty much any Zenith in the lineup. But it comes with the bonus gift of waking up every morning and knowing you spent cash on something that wasn’t your first choice….

Go for the Rolex.

A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 09:06 PM   #51
karleone
"TRF" Member

What about an Explorer 36 or 39?
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 09:33 PM   #52
Xerxes77
Banned

Aqua terra
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 09:37 PM   #53
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I want a Submariner as a daily but don't want to spend $15,000 on a Sub when I can just buy another day date for that money basically
Buy a Tudor
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 09:48 PM   #54
ts3
"TRF" Member

These days 8-13k is a tough spot to be in and even more so if one does not want a diver or a dress watch. Lots of stuff has grown out of that range (such as the preowned 5167 for 15k I did not pick up years ago) and the formerly 3-6k stuff has crept up into it which doesn't make a purchase feel any better.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 10:04 PM   #55
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Get a new Aqua Terra and call it a day.
These are really nice watches Brian. I had a chance to see a few yesterday and they are really impressive
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 10:05 PM   #56
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
For $13k I would find a nice 116710LN personally before these start creeping up closer to the 116710BLNR’s.
Old 30 November 2021, 10:12 PM   #57
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I have had several Grand Seiko models and could never understand the bracelet comments. It is not exactly like a Rolex bracelet, but I never felt they were sub-par .

I wouldn't dismiss the Speedmaster for the reasons mentioned. Take a look at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics models. Classic Speedy Pro but with more interesting dials and bezels. I honestly think it's a better looking watch than the Ceramic-aytona.

Agree! I’ve got the panda tokyo and love it……they are about 15k now but that’s cheap when compared to the white ceramic daytona….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 10:25 PM   #58
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Moving watches around and getting bored is OK but just consider that in the purchase of the watches. You will pay a premium for the Rolex but you will get most, if not all, back when you flip out depending on how long you own it. I like the Omega Speedmaster and it can be had for sub 5k in the 1861 version and sub 6k for the new 3861. Get it on the bracelet, buy some OEM straps and some after market straps to change up a bit and wear it. With the rest of the money get a Tudor Black Bay in either the 41 mm or the 58. Same with straps here. Two great watches and a lot of visual options and wear styles. If it has to be a Rolex then buy the Submariner-C in either the 11 or 12 series and go on with it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 10:35 PM   #59
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Get the Datejust 41. Took me a month and a half to get one through my AD. Yes I have a history with them but I'm not whale by any means. Visit a few ADs and see if they can get one for you. Be patient, it will come in.

As for non-Rolex the Aqua Terra line is terrific and available now. So many different combinations and they are affordable.

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 10:56 PM   #60
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

A DJ36 or 41 depending on wrist size and personal preference is still realistically achievable.

And the jubilee bracelet is so damn comfy.

Otherwise agreed you could pick up an omega today and be happy. The new speedy bracelet is also very good.

There’s a GS bracelet bashing bandwagon online. They’re not that bad. Really. We don’t bash the lack of a glide lock on the oysterflex Daytona do we when it’s available on another oysterflex model.

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote