The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 November 2005, 01:21 PM   #31
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
I don't get it
Frans, don't worry mate!! All you have to know is he is from Nu Yawk, nuff said.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2005, 01:39 PM   #32
MathewJ
Banned

Here goes...

1. The attitude of Rolex NY service center, have dealt with them twice and neither was plesant, the work both times was half fast (warranty)..and I have heard complaints about "New York attitude" from others so I figure it just isn't me...the only way to get good service from them is when you pay, or so I am told. Personally I would love to see Rolex US abolished and everyone be under Geneve as it seems they do better with their customers...either that or give Rolex US employees some better training in dealing with customers...I don't care where you are from and what attitude your neck of the woods is known for, customer service is customer service and that entails being courteous to your paying customers.

2. The militant control over dealer prices and discounts though intimidation and threats. If Rolex really wants to control pricing then they should drastically cut back supply much like Panerai does now and produce fewer better quality controlled watches instead of forcing dealers to buy many pieces which will not sell and then forcing them to sell at little to no discounts for fear of losing their dealership. I have talked to many dealers who would love to discount Rolex, especially slow sellers but are afraid of losing their dealer status...Rolex sells the pieces to the dealers, once in the dealers hands it is my opinion that the dealer should set the prices and whether or not they want to offer them at a sale price. I remember hearing stories from my parents about how dealers used to give out great discounts and incentives back in the late 70s and early 80s when Rolex was more forgiving.

3. The militant control over parts inventory and certified watchmakers...if they aren't going to service vintage watches at least make those who are willing to do so able by selling them the parts. It is understandable why Rolex did this as they wanted consistency in service, however after reading numerous complaints about their service centers and experiencing them first hand myself all I can say is that if your own shops cannot get it right then why hold independants to a higher standard?

4. Quality control or lack thereof...see my posts in "Why Rolex" to get a better understanding of my stance on this...either improve your quality control, cut back the number of watches produced and focus on them, or don't make outlandish claims on your website that point to perfection when obviously they cannot be met successfully. One expects the premire watchmaker to be at least as good in this department as the compeition yet this doesn't seem to be the case, at least in the five years I have been reading various boards for various brands.

5. Reluctance to improve certain aspects of their watches. I can understand the desire to keep a conservative and consistant look however making your oyster bracelet solid, using a ball bearing in the rotor instead of a jewel, and making the clasp milled will only make the product better..many argue Rolex keeps things dated because of value and consistency of their older pieces with the new, I personally feel they do it because so far they can get away with it...now with mounting competition they are being forced to change and update...the updates should have come long ago and shouldn't cost additional as they are seeming to now.

That is all I can think of for now...
MathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2005, 04:02 PM   #33
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Simmer down, Mathew and relax!! You are starting to take this Rolex thing way toooooooo seriously, my friend.

I can understand where you're coming from and I can also sympathise with your recent QC problems with Rolex, but why not let bygones be bygones and just enjoy your collection?

You remember what I had said a long time ago on another forum? I advised each and every person going to purchase a new Rolex to carry a 10x loupe along with them. There is absolutely no shame in pulling out the loupe in front of the dealer and giving the watch a thorough make over.....no shame at all, and nothing to be "shy" about!! You're paying mega bucks for it and it's your right to do so...I do it all the time and Mansor's accept it as quite normal (from me, that is! )

So...just relax, pal. The next time you decide to buy a Rolex, do what I've advised and you will have less to gripe about.

Cheers and keep those posts coming...but could you make them a wee bit shorter?

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2005, 08:20 PM   #34
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Frans, don't worry mate!! All you have to know is he is from Nu Yawk, nuff said.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:05 PM   #35
MathewJ
Banned

JJ,

I am not upset at all, frustrated a bit but not upset...the thread asked what I liked least about Rolex and I answered in kind...I don't think that my issues mentioned above are that off the wall given that many have complained about similar topics before.

I truly believe that if Rolex is going to mandate that their dealers take stock of pieces they know wont sell or will be slow movers then they should have no or little say in what said dealers charge for them instead of forcing the dealers to sell at near MSRP. I also strongly believe that Rolex made a big mistake in revoking parts accounts to many local watchmakers as their own service while good isn't always that great for everything.

Regarding the loupe unfortunatly I think I have to agree with you in that if you are at all picky about precision finish it would be in one's best interest to being a loupe to look the piece over..

Last edited by MathewJ; 29 November 2005 at 10:17 PM..
MathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote