The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2019, 09:32 AM   #31
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonvr6 View Post
one watch sold for less markup in some random English town and the market is dropping?

lol
Leeds is not some random town believe me
Old 16 June 2019, 09:58 AM   #32
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

Markets finally cooling down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy2099 View Post
The market, by which you mean the grey market, consists of people that are willing to pay over MSRP/RRP for (usually) a SS Rolex. It’s true that this grey madness could all stop right now if people stopped paying silly money. The ‘official’ Rolex market has plenty of watches on offer outside of 3-4 hot models. There are even rival brands that offer perfectly good alternatives which you can get at a discount!
Agree with you, if people would quit paying these ridiculous prices, the market would settle down. I, for one, refuse to pay these inflated prices. If the people paying the inflated prices wolud stop, the market would correct and even they would have more to spend on more watches. As a consequence, my collection is not as large as I would like, but I enjoy wearing all of them. Rant over.
whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 11:04 AM   #33
peterpl
Banned

Well I have had a obversation that the watch craze is slowing slightly as well.

My friends are talking less about Rolex's and for some reason on my instagram feeds there are far far less comments on new posts. Its like people are starting to become bored or something? There used to be 100s of comments on each post and 1000s of likes. Now a few hundred likes and < 50 posts.

Even myself I've stopped looking at Rolex posts now. Dont even click on the pictures anymore.

Dunno maybe I'm just noticing something thats not happening. LOL
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 02:37 AM   #34
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
What about AP Royal Oaks, are they slowing for them as well, as that's another hot model, along with Nautilus.
yonexsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 02:59 AM   #35
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Just because we're speculating the downturn of the market, doesn't mean this isn't a speculation thread.

Last edited by patrickjb; 13 July 2019 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 03:20 AM   #36
broham84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonexsp View Post
What about AP Royal Oaks, are they slowing for them as well, as that's another hot model, along with Nautilus.
AP's operating model is the weakest of all compared to PP and Rolex. Their decision to take back the boutiques will come back and bite them hard one day. Bennahmias is full of himself.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 03:38 AM   #37
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Well I have had a obversation that the watch craze is slowing slightly as well.

My friends are talking less about Rolex's and for some reason on my instagram feeds there are far far less comments on new posts. Its like people are starting to become bored or something? There used to be 100s of comments on each post and 1000s of likes. Now a few hundred likes and < 50 posts.

Even myself I've stopped looking at Rolex posts now. Dont even click on the pictures anymore.

Dunno maybe I'm just noticing something thats not happening. LOL
And here you are posting like crazy all posts along the same agenda.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 03:40 AM   #38
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
I don't know if its me but from what im seeing here in the Uk the Rolex market is slowing and prices have rolled back a touch , for example a friend of mine owns a large watch shop and they just bought in a new steel Pepsi from a customer for 12k and resold the watch for £12,500 , yes only £500 wages for them but quick turnaround , thats how they work , that said not long ago that watch would be over 14k he said and he's also had a black ceramic Daytona on his shelfs for weeks asking just over 15k and no takers , that watch sat there 6 weeks or more , may be the tide is changing ??????
A random deal here and there is entirely possible. Don´t use it to determine a market trend though. This 12.5K purchase could easily turn into a 2.5-3K profit if the watch is mint and is offered to a grey.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 03:44 AM   #39
thewheel82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesaliteTim View Post
Man, it is around here. None in stores and waitlists of 4-6 months unless you have an established relationship with an AD.
I put my name on a "list" with every single AD in the Houston area after none had one in stock. After a week of waiting (I know, not very long....) I got annoyed with the lack of supply and bought a new in box one from member mdgrwl for $60 over what my out the door cost (sales tax is 8.25% here) would have been at an AD and had it delivered the next day. Barely after opening the box I got a call from a dealer about an hour away that they got one in LOL. I had another call a week and half later from another dealer.
thewheel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 03:59 AM   #40
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheel82 View Post
I put my name on a "list" with every single AD in the Houston area after none had one in stock. After a week of waiting (I know, not very long....) I got annoyed with the lack of supply and bought a new in box one from member mdgrwl for $60 over what my out the door cost (sales tax is 8.25% here) would have been at an AD and had it delivered the next day. Barely after opening the box I got a call from a dealer about an hour away that they got one in LOL. I had another call a week and half later from another dealer.
What watch was this for
Old 13 July 2019, 03:59 AM   #41
NorcalBlue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheel82 View Post
Which model was this? Not a Pepsi I'm presuming.
NorcalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 04:03 AM   #42
zjd168
"TRF" Member

ok you won
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 04:22 AM   #43
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Sounds like a microcosm to me. I wouldn't read too much into it because the aggregate market won't react that quickly. When grays start coming down 20% then I'd imagine there's a more stable move lower but until then - it's still high and will stay high.

You'll know it's cooled when we quit seeing posts about how hard it is to get DJ's and Explorers.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 04:28 AM   #44
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

I’m guessing the Pepsi was sold to another dealer as I’ve never seen one for 12.5k

As for the Daytona I’ve not seen one of those for 15k for over a year probably. They are trading for around 20k at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 04:31 AM   #45
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I don't know if its me but from what im seeing here in the Uk the Rolex market is slowing and prices have rolled back a touch , for example a friend of mine owns a large watch shop and they just bought in a new steel Pepsi from a customer for 12k and resold the watch for £12,500 , yes only £500 wages for them but quick turnaround , thats how they work , that said not long ago that watch would be over 14k he said and he's also had a black ceramic Daytona on his shelfs for weeks asking just over 15k and no takers , that watch sat there 6 weeks or more , may be the tide is changing ??????
Certainly looks like a major shift in the worldwide sales of high end luxury jewelry.

Oh wait, one shop and one watch? Ok
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 05:26 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Certainly looks like a major shift in the worldwide sales of high end luxury jewelry.

Oh wait, one shop and one watch? Ok
Exactly, one swallow does not make Summer an adult film star.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 05:46 AM   #47
The1019
Banned

Not surprising Rolex forum Rolex owners saying no prices only rising go figure
The1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 05:56 AM   #48
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
£500 is the bottom price across the industry.....
jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 06:08 AM   #49
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Its just you...
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 06:19 AM   #50
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

New BLNR jubilee £16k
Old BLNR £13,250

http://thegoldshop.net/product-categ...atches/page/3/
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 06:20 AM   #51
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1019 View Post
Not surprising Rolex forum Rolex owners saying no prices only rising go figure

Pardon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 07:10 AM   #52
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

No
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 07:10 AM   #53
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

According to C24, the calculated theoretical profit I have made on my (never going to be flipped) Hulk has gone from 40% to 39%. Rejoice people. The bubble has burst!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 07:56 AM   #54
The Kermit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610LV /OP/GMT
Quote:
Is the shop in Leeds?
Old 13 July 2019, 10:58 AM   #55
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

Well I was shocked to see a 126710BLNR for 18k on davidsw today. I haven’t checked in a week, but that’s down a solid 10% since I last checked

Maybe things are cooling down a tad. One can only hope
Old 13 July 2019, 11:30 AM   #56
Aztro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss Z
Most of the Rolexes I have half an interest in and keep on eye out for on C24 (I.e follow and get therefore get a quick price track) have dropped a bit in the last month (a few percent) after a year of very steep rises (and gentler ones before that). Maybe June is just a slower month for used and grey.
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 11:35 AM   #57
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Let's keep hope alive. Hard to tell when the bubble will burst. But prices rising so quickly for a modern, mass produced, non-precious metal piece of jewelry stinks of speculation. How many folks can/will really spend over 15K for such a thing(s)? At some point the market is saturated.

The dealer mentioned is smart to make sure that he keeps turning over his/her inventory and taking the profit now. I see a lot of watches advertised at high prices, but I see them sitting for awhile too. Nice to see so many folks getting into watches though.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 11:38 AM   #58
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Depth of the market - one person pays silly money for a Hulk doesn't mean everyone will. Speculators will speculate, just a matter of how long they can hold on before liquidating.

In the bubble sense though I can't see hulks (or any other hot model) going under MSRP, so as bubbles go it isn't really that bad?
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 12:11 PM   #59
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Everyone sell! The Rolex market is crashing!!
Old 13 July 2019, 12:18 PM   #60
Tokyo Mike
Banned

So, you friend was happy to rip himself of by a couple grand.

Where is he located, I'd love to take advantage of him.
Tokyo Mike is offline   Reply With Quote