The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 March 2014, 11:01 AM   #31
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Nygo, I agree price isn't everything. I buy my pieces from a single salesperson at Shreve & Co. and even though I'm not getting the best price I like my salesperson, I like the store, I like the treatment I get, and I love the special events. Last year I went to two Panerai events, a Wellendorff event at the Ritz in downtown SF, and an awesome Rolex event for America's Cup.
Mirrors my personal experience also
Old 24 March 2014, 11:02 AM   #32
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
For the record, i bought my first rolex at wempe as well, they neglected to give me the anchor that was supposed to come with my submariner & no champagne.

Take your savings & share the Veuve Clicquot youve purchased with the company of your choice rather than a synthetic experience at the AD, probably enough left over to enjoy it over a lovely weekend somewhere.

Old 24 March 2014, 11:02 AM   #33
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Rarely has any salesperson made a difference in my purchase nor do I need the luxury experience. I prefer to deal with the trusted sellers here and save the extra for investing in my future.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:04 AM   #34
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The AD experience is nice for your first Rolex or so. I get it. Maybe it's ego thing but it's fun to be wined and dined a little when you're going to make a big purchase; I know i enjoyed my first experience. After I bought a couple of watches however and became what I consider a small collector, I'd rather just save myself the money and get the next piece at the best price.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:07 AM   #35
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Paying full price AD markup for "luxury experience" and salesperson patter doesn't interest me. I suppose they have to pay the bills somehow. I just want the watch. All the other stuff is more or less instantly forgettable to me. Admittedly I enjoy going into ADs and listening to salesperson patter for free sometimes.

So you enjoy the benefits of an AD, but give your business to an online retailer? Nice.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:07 AM   #36
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Nygo, I agree price isn't everything. I buy my pieces from a single salesperson at Shreve & Co. and even though I'm not getting the best price I like my salesperson, I like the store, I like the treatment I get, and I love the special events. Last year I went to two Panerai events, a Wellendorff event at the Ritz in downtown SF, and an awesome Rolex event for America's Cup.
I agree 1000%, oh forgot to mention, with the money I saved buying from a trusted seller on the forum, took the wife out to dinner ( nice champagne), put gas in my car, and a big fat smile on my face.

Seriously, all in good fun here...........buy wherever you are comfortable. It's your money and you have a right to spend it where you wish. Best of luck.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:07 AM   #37
nygo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I agree 1000%, oh forgot to mention, with the money I saved buying from a trusted seller on the forum, took the wife out to dinner ( nice champagne), put gas in my car, and a big fat smile on my face.

Seriously, all in good fun here...........buy wherever you are comfortable. It's your money and you have a right to spend it where you wish. Best of luck.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:08 AM   #38
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Did the AD experience on my first Rolex back in 2003. I wasn't aware of grey dealers back than. Maybe I could get DavidSW to send me some chocolate and champagne? Kidding. I would rather save thousands and buy from guys here. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 March 2014, 11:10 AM   #39
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
So you enjoy the benefits of an AD, but give your business to an online retailer? Nice.
No, a vintage watch and diamond dealer. Not too far from an AD.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 24 March 2014, 11:16 AM   #40
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I've done both. Here and at my A D. Had nothing but great experiences here but at my A D I've had some great and some bad. Just last week I went there to look at a few Daytona's. They only had an older slate dial and when I inquired about the blue Arabic and Panda dial you wanna know what the guy said????

Are you sure they make that in a Daytona?

I was like really? But politely said I'm sure and walked out. So all in all I prefer here although I must admit I go to an A D from time to time.

Just so I can try them on. Lol. Can't do that online.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:20 AM   #41
rodneygt3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I like the personal relationship from my AD. Also, I know I am helping out a local business in my area. Also, I don't believe there is a big price difference from purchasing from my AD another independent. For a few hundred dollars I would rather go the AD route. On the other hand, if we were talking say $1,000 then I would highly consider another option.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:31 AM   #42
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygo View Post
I've heard price. Why pay full price if you can get X amount cheaper from X on the forum. When I bought my first Rolex, it was all about the experience. I went into Wempe. Was offered chocolates and Pellegrino. I didn't make a purchase that day -- didn't feel pressured. Came back another weekend, tried on a few watches. Some not even Rolex. Then finally when I was about to make my purchase, the sales person insisted I take my time. No rush. When I finally pulled the trigger, I was offered Veuve Clicquot and even had the watch boxed and gift wrapped. Now, THATs a luxury experience. When you think Rolex, don't you just think luxury and luxury experience? About building a rapport with a salesperson? Or am I just old fashioned? And, has it all just come down to the absolute lowest price?

I agree. As the general manager of a Porsche dealership, we take a lot of pride (and expense) to make sure the process of purchasing a new or pre-owned Porsche is a great experience. We are never ever as cheap as a corner lot or third party, however we will always be there in the future for the customer and are a great place to come and talk cars even if you're not buying that day.

I purchased both my watches for full retail through my local AD. Not to say there aren't some great sellers on here as well but as a local business person in my community I always buy locally when I can. Price isn't everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24 March 2014, 11:34 AM   #43
sirjohnbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'chu lookin' at???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie D View Post
I agree. As the general manager of a Porsche dealership, we take a lot of pride (and expense) to make sure the process of purchasing a new or pre-owned Porsche is a great experience. We are never ever as cheap as a corner lot or third party, however we will always be there in the future for the customer and are a great place to come and talk cars even if you're not buying that day.

I purchased both my watches for full retail through my local AD. Not to say there aren't some great sellers on here as well but as a local business person in my community I always buy locally when I can. Price isn't everything.

I agree. I'm willing to pay a premium if I'm supporting a local business and intend to go back and build a relationship.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." Homer Simpson

SS Midsize DJ 68274 "L"
TT Jubilee DJ 116233 "Z"
Sea Dweller DS 116660 "V"
SS White Dial Daytona "V"
Old 24 March 2014, 11:40 AM   #44
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
The fact of the matter is that to most people price IS everything. I'd bet a kidney most people on here would sell out on their trusted seller if another came along at an additional 20% off. There isn't much loyalty when it comes to spending money, heck in here people cry about sales tax all the time, not the ADs fault they have to follow the law... Sheesh.

However there are still a fair amount of people willing to pay a premium for whatever they feel is the experience they are searching for.

Not saying either way is an issue, it's just interesting to observe
Old 24 March 2014, 11:43 AM   #45
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
For those of you who are trying to justify your reasons for buying online or through a grey dealer. Unless you can tell me you have always buy watches that are worth thousands of dollars with just looking at a picture in an online or hard copy catalogue without EVER set foot in an AD to try one on and handle it, you are taking advantage of someone's (AD) hard earn money to set up a business and being a hypocrite.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:46 AM   #46
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Quote:
I am sure I am in the minority, but I find the constant discussion of discounting to be cheapening the brand and the value of our watches. The more the forums support discounting, third party resellers, the further the value of Rolex and our watches depreciate.
This is quite insightful, and should be considered by all.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:48 AM   #47
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Two words: Sales & Tax.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:51 AM   #48
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
For those of you who are trying to justify your reasons for buying online or through a grey dealer. Unless you can tell me you have always buy watches that are worth thousands of dollars with just looking at a picture in an online or hard copy catalogue without EVER set foot in an AD to try one on and handle it, you are taking advantage of someone's (AD) hard earn money to set up a business and being a hypocrite.
THANK YOU! I could not have said it better. Bet these same people wouldn't be so happy if they lost their job because someone else was willing to do it cheaper.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:55 AM   #49
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
I've heard price. Why pay full price if you can get X amount cheaper from X on the forum. When I bought my first Rolex, it was all about the experience. I went into Wempe. Was offered chocolates and Pellegrino. I didn't make a purchase that day -- didn't feel pressured. Came back another weekend, tried on a few watches. Some not even Rolex. Then finally when I was about to make my purchase, the sales person insisted I take my time. No rush. When I finally pulled the trigger, I was offered Veuve Clicquot and even had the watch boxed and gift wrapped. Now, THATs a luxury experience. When you think Rolex, don't you just think luxury and luxury experience? About building a rapport with a salesperson? Or am I just old fashioned? And, has it all just come down to the absolute lowest price?
Personally, I'd rather not pay that much of a premium for $3 worth of chocolate and water and some attention from a salesman.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
Old 24 March 2014, 11:56 AM   #50
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
No one here seems to have mentioned the obvious. There wouldn't be a grey market if ADs didn't sell their stock in bulk to grey marketeers. Everyone is in the loop.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:59 AM   #51
nygo
"TRF" Member

i guess another way to think about it is.. you don't go to a nice restaurant like Per Se and ask for the food to go? or maybe you do. i don't know.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:59 AM   #52
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie D View Post

+1 Bruce, I have bought all my Porsches from Mike Bradley at Carlsen and will continue to do so until he retires.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:12 PM   #53
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
People buy the brand for all kinds of reasons. The thrill of the chase.
For me it's about ownership. I buy and wear a watch to please me

Rolex from an AD or cheap Russian off of eBay. Makes no difference once I have taken ownership. Bought new from an AD three times. Gone the Wingate and DeMesy route as well. Don't see the difference except for saving money.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:20 PM   #54
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
I purchased my one and only (give me some time) Rolex from an AD. I had every intention to purchase it online but ironically the AD was cheaper for a NIB Milgauss than I could find used online. To this day, even on this forum, I have not seen a Milgauss offered for sale for cheaper than I purchased mine, new or used.

I live in a small town with only one AD, they don't offer champagne or chocolates. They wouldn't even give me a Rolex catalog. If I were to get invites to special showings or events like others have mentioned, that would tip me to purchase from AD in the future, even paying a little extra.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:22 PM   #55
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

It's a tough one. I bought only one of my watches at an AD. It was a sort of celebration for me, and the whole experience was like my own little party. But other than that I would always buy grey market or pre-owned.

However, as a small business owner I also understand wanting to support local business.

It's an interesting topic.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:40 PM   #56
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

nygo- bottem line, money talks. Save a few hundred or a few thousand, money matters.

Nobody wants to spend more than they have to.

ADs have a higher mark up because they have a higher overhead cost. But the people on this forum are not typical Rolex buyers. Many (not all) typical Rolex buyers go to the mall and buy because it is a Rolex! To celebrate, as a reward, a milestone, for whatever reason.

Most typical buyers would never send thousands of $ to someone they don't know to hope to get a watch.

But buyers here love Rolex and are a bit different. We are a little more savy and if we wanted to buy at a discount are empowered with the connections to do so.

Sure ADs will get some who "use them" without the intent to ever buy there. It is all part of the game and the ADs know it. Is it fair, ethical, right? (That is personal decision for the individual, like some have said here, they like to support local, good for them! But it is up to the individual) Does not matter how many lookie-loos come in, it is just part of the game.

There are still plenty who will buy from an AD. I have bought both new and used. I prefer buying from an AD for Rolex, but have never bought from an AD for Omega, UN, Cartier, Tag (well one tag I did) Corum.... you get the point. The theory is the same although the brand is different.

All this is just IMHO.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:47 PM   #57
nygo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
nygo- bottem line, money talks. Save a few hundred or a few thousand, money matters.

Nobody wants to spend more than they have to.

ADs have a higher mark up because they have a higher overhead cost. But the people on this forum are not typical Rolex buyers. Many (not all) typical Rolex buyers go to the mall and buy because it is a Rolex! To celebrate, as a reward, a milestone, for whatever reason.

Most typical buyers would never send thousands of $ to someone they don't know to hope to get a watch.

But buyers here love Rolex and are a bit different. We are a little more savy and if we wanted to buy at a discount are empowered with the connections to do so.

Sure ADs will get some who "use them" without the intent to ever buy there. It is all part of the game and the ADs know it. Is it fair, ethical, right? (That is personal decision for the individual, like some have said here, they like to support local, good for them! But it is up to the individual) Does not matter how many lookie-loos come in, it is just part of the game.

There are still plenty who will buy from an AD. I have bought both new and used. I prefer buying from an AD for Rolex, but have never bought from an AD for Omega, UN, Cartier, Tag (well one tag I did) Corum.... you get the point. The theory is the same although the brand is different.

All this is just IMHO.
i think you've hit the nail on the head. all in all very interesting thread. i think you start to see the evolution perhaps. first time buyer , enthusiast, collector, etc. and different avenues make sense for different people.
Old 24 March 2014, 01:09 PM   #58
bobznew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
I am sure I am in the minority, but I find the constant discussion of discounting to be cheapening the brand and the value of our watches. The more the forums support discounting, third party resellers, the further the value of Rolex and our watches depreciate.
The value of an item is determined by the underlying market dynamics for that particular item. If this "constant discussion of discounting" leads to Rolex lowering its MSRP's, then you will have been proven correct. Otherwise, the actual value will have only have diminished in your own (subjective) estimation.

If that is the case, I will be glad to ease your burden by taking said items of lesser value off your hands. At an appropriate discount, of course.
Old 24 March 2014, 01:14 PM   #59
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
AD's are for people that put a value on chocolates and Veuve Clicquot....I'm glad Rolex hasn't made a modern watch in the last 5 years that I'm interested in, I don't even go into the AD anymore and I walk by one a couple times a week....
Old 24 March 2014, 01:15 PM   #60
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i guess another way to think about it is.. you don't go to a nice restaurant like Per Se and ask for the food to go? or maybe you do. i don't know.
You had me at Per Se!!!!!!!!
Finest restaurant I've enjoyed, worldwide
I've done the AD approach for my last 2 watches, with reasonable numbers, and minimal perks. IMHO, my investment necessitated using the AD. That was for those particular pieces.
I've also had the Grey Market experience and was successful and well pleased
I stay at 5 star hotels because I like to be pampered, but I don't throw money away.
Go with whatever makes you happy!
Closed Thread