The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 November 2018, 12:37 PM   #31
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasKptl View Post
Nah, Panerai is Maserati:

(1) They both are Italian;
(2) Cool design;
(2) Questionable engineering and reliability;
(3) Resale values suck.

Excellent, excellent comp. My wife wanted a Maserati so bad. She just about crapped when I showed her how cheap used Maserati's are because they're garbage.
Old 12 November 2018, 12:43 PM   #32
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I love how these car analogies get everybody going. In a funny good way though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Almost got me going too, then I figured it'd be more fun to just watch ...
Old 12 November 2018, 12:44 PM   #33
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
Excellent, excellent comp. My wife wanted a Maserati so bad. She just about crapped when I showed her how cheap used Maserati's are because they're garbage.
Every European luxury car take a huge resale dump the first 4 years.
Old 12 November 2018, 12:45 PM   #34
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
only good thing about maseratis is they sound good lol, well and i guess the granturismo looks nice
Old 12 November 2018, 12:47 PM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=ahlee00023;9084439]I think most will agree that Rolex is the Mercedes Benz of watches, or vice versa. Brand recognition, global appeal, and fairly easy accessibility are very similar. They are what people call "Mainstream Luxury". But what about other watch brands? Is Omega a BMW because it tries but can never get the same level as Rolex/MB. Is AP a Porsche since their designs are so unique and instantly recognizeble? PP = Aston Martin? Just for fun... Give me your thoughts. Btw.. Grand Seiko is definitely a Lexus.. so obvious there. But what about IWC, VC, A Lange, Cartier?
__________________________________________________ ____

I didn't know this - which is interesting. What I do know is that I would never own Mercedez. It ranks near the bottom of customer satisfaction surveys year after year after year unlike Rolex.

I would put Rolex up there with the Ford "built tough," #1 selling truck in the world which is the F-150. There you go.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 12 November 2018, 12:50 PM   #36
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Is this a kindergarten thread?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4497Medium.JPG (37.2 KB, 330 views)
Old 12 November 2018, 12:53 PM   #37
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
Car analogy is always tough. My opinion? Rolex = Lexus. Reliable, but not very aesthetically refined. Retains value, aiming at masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agreed, hell, Mercedes as investment is a joke, why would one want to lower the standards of their Rolex !
Old 12 November 2018, 12:56 PM   #38
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
Is this a kindergarten thread?

A baby Hulk?
Old 12 November 2018, 12:59 PM   #39
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
It's a Kermit actually.

Hope he/she doesn't have teeth yet else that expensive insert is gonna see odd scratches ;-)
Old 12 November 2018, 01:14 PM   #40
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture View Post
OP horrible comparisons.

I tend to agree. Mb is underwhelming until you get into a 400 or 500. Rolex is still wonderful even in the oyster perpetual, the seemingly lower end model.

Rolex design in my eyes has always followed Porsche. Even if you look at some of the older case designs the 6263/ 6265 the have a real Vintage Porsche feel.

Old 12 November 2018, 02:06 PM   #41
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

As expected, I see a lot of people have different views about this topic.... especially in the design point of view. I appreciate and agree the comparisons made to Porsches... but the main reason I compared the Rolex brand with MB was simply because they have mass appeal even to people that have no knowledge about the heritage of either companies. As mentioned by one of the posts, both brands are unique in that perspective.

Also, many here are mentioning about the depreciation of cars in general versus the value retaining or increasing of a Rolex. You simply cannot compare watches versus automobiles in that area. Everyone knows that cars depreciate in value the moment you drive off the dealer.

In any case, I wondered about this analogy many times before, and thought it would make an interesting and fun topic to have a discussion about. By the way, my intentions were not to diminish any watch nor auto brand (I own both an Omega and a BMW as well). They are just watches and cars. Just have fun and don't get too personal about it.
Old 12 November 2018, 02:13 PM   #42
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Rolex is mechanical like Porsche Engine...

Both the Rolex and the Porsche have engines that work hard, last long, and are hard to see...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 12 November 2018, 02:34 PM   #43
Uppersouth
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
Ok, I’ll take a shot at this. Porsche certainly comps well with the sports model range, but is a lacking analogy when you throw in the overwhelming 3:1 ratio of DJ/DD sales over the sports line. Mercedes C, E, S, G, GLS, GLE, GLC, GLA models represent the DJ/DD business best. The AMG and other sporty models adequately represent the Rolex sports models in numbers of the total business percentage.
-ROBERT FROST
Old 12 November 2018, 02:41 PM   #44
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Mercedes Benz has terrible reliability and when an issue comes up after year 5, you're looking at a $5,000 repair bill.

I've had Rolex watches for 6 years + with no issues.
Old 12 November 2018, 02:50 PM   #45
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Then post yourself rather than yapping from the peanut gallery. Geez.
To be fair, the car comparison threads come around every once in a while, and usually devolve into disagreements, barring the eventual consensus that car:watch analogies leave a lot to be desired. A number of the old-timers here roll their eyes when they see them. I'll just leave this to those who haven't become jaded yet.

Old 12 November 2018, 02:54 PM   #46
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
MB are nice, but BMW has been a stronger brand for years. Never the less, Rolex is the king of mass produced luxury watches and is more comparable to Porsche the king of mass produced cars

Old 12 November 2018, 02:55 PM   #47
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then post yourself rather than yapping from the peanut gallery. Geez.
Okay, I've got my popcorn now. GO!
Old 12 November 2018, 02:58 PM   #48
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
A 1992 Rolex Submariner and Toyota Camary are both still running today even though they have a million miles on them
I'm in this camp- although I would maybe have said pre ceramic sub = Landcruiser.
Fundamentally solid design with rugged reliability and dependability, not flashy at all. Ceramic sub would be a Landcruiser with 24" Chrome rims and a color shift wrap.
if you insist on Mercedes, then it would be an 80s diesel model. New Mercedes are all touchscreens, wi fi and mediocre reliability-

Datejusts, OPs and Day Dates are Lexus LS series, (not the current generation though)- prestigious and expensive, safe, reliable, absolutely unadventurous.

Airking and yachtmaster II are Morgan Aero Eights- kinda ugly, but kind of compelling at the same time.

RM- Lamborghini when the designers have had a few too many expressos
PP- Rolls Royce
AP- Bentley- 3 models but 800 different looks for each.
Omega/ IWC - Audi- more extravert, fun and designy than BMW or Benz
Old 12 November 2018, 03:00 PM   #49
Uppersouth
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Mercedes Benz has terrible reliability and when an issue comes up after year 5, you're looking at a $5,000 repair bill.

I've had Rolex watches for 6 years + with no issues.
As has been said, car company vs watch company comparisons aren’t very productive, but are fun if you’re into both. To be fair, a modern Mercedes S class has as much electronic gadgetry as the first space shuttle. A time and date mechanical watch technically hasn’t changed much in 50 years.
-ROBERT FROST
Old 12 November 2018, 03:04 PM   #50
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you ever owned one? I have. Paid $8,600 for the watch and it ran like garbage. Loved the look, but not the engine doesn't match the aesthetics. Try selling one also. I had one TRF trusted seller interested in it in two months of trying to sell it and three from TRF, three from WUS, and two reputable dealers in Chicago (Burdeens and Razny) with "zero interest in any Panerai" because they can't sell them." You're comparing Panerai to Aston Martin and Audi. That's downright laughable. I drive an A8 and trust me when I tell you that Panerai is no Audi or Austin Martin.
Quote:
I chose Cadillac and Lincoln because they bill themselves as luxury and they're far, far from it. That was kinda my point. If any of the five makes you chose lose 60% of their value the second you drive them off the lot, I would have picked one of them.....but they don't. Pour your money into Panerai. Be my guest.
Agreed, substance seems to lag style.

Deeply identifying with consumer purchasing decisions to the point of rage seems pretty unhealthy
Old 12 November 2018, 03:11 PM   #51
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
Car analogy is always tough. My opinion? Rolex = Lexus. Reliable, but not very aesthetically refined. Retains value, aiming at masses.

Seriously? Rolex watches are the most aesthetically pleasing!
Old 12 November 2018, 03:18 PM   #52
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=springer;9084784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlee00023 View Post
I think most will agree that Rolex is the Mercedes Benz of watches, or vice versa. Brand recognition, global appeal, and fairly easy accessibility are very similar. They are what people call "Mainstream Luxury". But what about other watch brands? Is Omega a BMW because it tries but can never get the same level as Rolex/MB. Is AP a Porsche since their designs are so unique and instantly recognizeble? PP = Aston Martin? Just for fun... Give me your thoughts. Btw.. Grand Seiko is definitely a Lexus.. so obvious there. But what about IWC, VC, A Lange, Cartier?
__________________________________________________ ____

I didn't know this - which is interesting. What I do know is that I would never own Mercedez. It ranks near the bottom of customer satisfaction surveys year after year after year unlike Rolex.

I would put Rolex up there with the Ford "built tough," #1 selling truck in the world which is the F-150. There you go.
Not bad!
Old 12 November 2018, 03:34 PM   #53
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaward View Post
They’re kind of like Pagani, solid history, not mainstream but definitely well respected.

I like that

Old 12 November 2018, 03:35 PM   #54
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Trying to think of a car company that all the popular models are unavailable to purchase... = Rolex
Old 12 November 2018, 03:41 PM   #55
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJitz View Post
Agreed, substance seems to lag style.

Deeply identifying with consumer purchasing decisions to the point of rage seems pretty unhealthy
Zero rage or even anger. Not sure how you read rage in his post, my posts, or any posts in this discussion. A disagreement doesn’t equal rage. He told me to pull my head out of my ass, or rear end, for having a point of view, which seems a bit harsh, but whatever. Maybe he was trying to be funny, but it surely didn’t seem like rage. Maybe a bit aggressive, but that’s it. I responded with valid points. I didn’t use any punctuation to insinuate rage, anger, or anything of the like. I didn’t curse, use all caps, call him derogatory names, or anything like that. You may have read a bit too much into it? It always helps me when I read disagreements like a calm conversation when the punctuation warrants it. Have a good night. Notice I even put cute emojis in so nobody misconstrues my post.
Old 12 November 2018, 03:42 PM   #56
DasKptl
Banned

This thread is fun.

I especially like asiparks's comparisons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
I'm in this camp- although I would maybe have said pre ceramic sub = Landcruiser.
Fundamentally solid design with rugged reliability and dependability, not flashy at all. Ceramic sub would be a Landcruiser with 24" Chrome rims and a color shift wrap.
if you insist on Mercedes, then it would be an 80s diesel model. New Mercedes are all touchscreens, wi fi and mediocre reliability-

Datejusts, OPs and Day Dates are Lexus LS series, (not the current generation though)- prestigious and expensive, safe, reliable, absolutely unadventurous.

Airking and yachtmaster II are Morgan Aero Eights- kinda ugly, but kind of compelling at the same time.

RM- Lamborghini when the designers have had a few too many expressos
PP- Rolls Royce
AP- Bentley- 3 models but 800 different looks for each.
Omega/ IWC - Audi- more extravert, fun and designy than BMW or Benz
Old 12 November 2018, 03:42 PM   #57
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
Trying to think of a car company that all the popular models are unavailable to purchase... = Rolex
Old 12 November 2018, 03:47 PM   #58
exador
Banned

Mercedes is an apt car analog to Rolex. Apart from the obvious quality/prestige factors, they produce around 2.1M vehicles per year.

Porsche is too small - they only produce around 250K vehicles.
Old 12 November 2018, 03:47 PM   #59
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
No way.

Old 12 November 2018, 03:52 PM   #60
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex, PAM
It depends on which MB the OP has, entry level or $100k plus...
Closed Thread