The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2022, 02:38 AM   #31
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
My row of Wolf boxes and their spinning treasures greet me in my closet every morning.

Good morning indeed!
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:42 AM   #32
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well that round thing on one side of the watch case is called the winding crown. Just manually wind it when and set you are going to wear it takes less than 30 seconds, and you do not want one of those machine thing so called watch winders.
Exactly.

Wind. Set. Wear.
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:48 AM   #33
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

The first time you take the watch off the winder, not having to set it, will be the happiest day of your life. You'll think "why didn't I do this earlier". Trust me on that.

A mechanical watch has been engineered to run continuously, don't listen to anyone that says it causes "wear". It doesn't - a winder causes no more wear than if you would wear the watch daily. In fact, it will cause less wear as it wouldn't get any vibrations/shocks that occur from your physical activities.

I have yet to hear Rolex advice AGAINST wearing your watch too frequently in order to prevent wear and tear.

I would even argue that you will have significantly more "wear/tear" from unscrewing, winding and screwing down the crown again over and over again.
VonSomething is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:52 AM   #34
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchcorn View Post
My Bluesy gets worn about once per week. The watch has sentimental value and I love wearing it, but my partner prefers I save it for special occasions. She bought it and I agree there is no need to unnecessarily wear it while WFH or doing work around the house.

It seems like my options are:
1. Buy a watch winder
2. Manually wind each day
3. Set date and time once per week (every time I wear it)

I am leaning towards manually winding, because that gives me a chance to look at it more haha. But is there anything else I should consider that would make me choose another option?
4. File divorce
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 03:06 AM   #35
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
does your partner know your Rolex is a watch or is it a piece of jewelry to her....
she gifts it to you but is telling you how she prefers you to wear it.....
when she gifts you other things, does she tell you the do's and don'ts too?

next time she gifts you something...tell her...No Thank YOu...too many rules...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 03:09 AM   #36
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
My Bluesy gets worn about once per week. The watch has sentimental value and I love wearing it, but my partner prefers I save it for special occasions. She bought it and I agree there is no need to unnecessarily wear it while WFH or doing work around the house.

It seems like my options are:
1. Buy a watch winder
2. Manually wind each day
3. Set date and time once per week (every time I wear it)

I am leaning towards manually winding, because that gives me a chance to look at it more haha. But is there anything else I should consider that would make me choose another option?

First, the first thing I do when I wake up is put on one of my watches … no matter what day it is. I feel “naked” without one on.

Second, to answer your question, a watch winder not only winds and keeps the date current on your watch … it acts as the ultimate display case for your beloved watch. If you enjoy just looking at your watch, you will lose a lot of time just watching it spin … it’s relaxing in the way that one feels when watching a fish aquarium. It’s mesmerizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 03:39 AM   #37
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Watches are there to be worn and enjoyed. Fortunately or unfortunately, a regularly and normally used Rolex will outlive you without any problems.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 03:45 AM   #38
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I wouldn’t manually wind it every day. You can wear out the screw down crown threads. Either use a watch winder or set it every time you wear it.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 03:52 AM   #39
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
The first time you take the watch off the winder, not having to set it, will be the happiest day of your life. You'll think "why didn't I do this earlier". Trust me on that.

A mechanical watch has been engineered to run continuously, don't listen to anyone that says it causes "wear". It doesn't - a winder causes no more wear than if you would wear the watch daily. In fact, it will cause less wear as it wouldn't get any vibrations/shocks that occur from your physical activities.

I have yet to hear Rolex advice AGAINST wearing your watch too frequently in order to prevent wear and tear.

I would even argue that you will have significantly more "wear/tear" from unscrewing, winding and screwing down the crown again over and over again.
Totally agree.
Old 4 May 2022, 04:40 AM   #40
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Just wind it and set the date once a week, takes about a minute. The time you’re wasting on this post would be good for at least 6 months of winding it already.

Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 04:47 AM   #41
Nkun
Banned

Watch: Don't Look Twice
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tek44 View Post
I find adjusting my watch is part of this hobby.
This!
Nkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:19 AM   #42
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I wouldn’t manually wind it every day. You can wear out the screw down crown threads. Either use a watch winder or set it every time you wear it.
I wonder what the Rolex durability testing results were on the crown threads?? I play (wind, set time, date, etc.) with my watches all the time. When I wear out my threads, I'll get it fixed. Guessing it'll never happen between regular service intervals. Enjoy your watch!!!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:29 AM   #43
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Just wear it? Explain to her that it’s special to you and because of that you want to wear it more often than special occasions. I mean if you have a giant collection then maybe I see the winder as an option but otherwise…just wear what you like to wear.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:58 AM   #44
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
If your preference is to keep it for more special occassions, the easiest solution is to simply wind and set as needed then put it on and enjoy the whole experience.

A question if I may. Are you winding it fully when you put it on?
I ask because it is definately superfluous to wind it up fully in your case as you are not chasing optimal day to day accuracy.
You may be happy to settle for winding it 20 turns(give or take a few) and set the watch as normal. Then put it on and wear it happy in the knowledge that it's winding itself up while you are wearing it

I wouldn't normally suggest a watch winder, but you may consider one in your case seeing as you are wearing it around once a week
But as you are happy to wind and set the watch as required when needed, I would say carry on and enjoy
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:05 AM   #45
cts
"TRF" Member

Don’t…
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:06 AM   #46
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I get that new people on the forum want to contribute, but have we come to this? “How do I keep my watch running?”
Old 4 May 2022, 07:09 AM   #47
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
does your partner know your Rolex is a watch or is it a piece of jewelry to her....
she gifts it to you but is telling you how she prefers you to wear it.....
when she gifts you other things, does she tell you the do's and don'ts too?

next time she gifts you something...tell her...No Thank YOu...too many rules...
In all fairness, it is a bluesy.
So yes it may be regarded as jewellery

As we aren't privy to any possible marital terms and conditions around the purchase of the watch or potential negotiations in the lead up, perhaps it would be best to step back from giving advice around interpersonal relationships between spouses
The OP has his watch and seemingly enjoys it just as things are
Old 4 May 2022, 07:17 AM   #48
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Imagine you had a vintage Rolex where you had to wind a full 24 hours to change the date…
That is true.
Seeing as the OP's watch has the quick set date it's happy days setting and forgetting.
The only complication to get around is the AM/PM thing
Old 4 May 2022, 07:21 AM   #49
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Imagine you had a vintage Rolex where you had to wind a full 24 hours to change the date…
THIS. My vintage Explorer date!
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:33 AM   #50
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Personally I don get the "special occasion only" thing.
To each their own Larry

I look at my own experience and note that I have two watches that are in that category with a potential addition of another
My special occassion watches are my GS ("dedicated dress watch") and the JC which I happily keep for special occassions when celebrating with my wife as it was her wonderful wedding gift to me
Old 4 May 2022, 07:42 AM   #51
blatchcorn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
In all fairness, it is a bluesy.
So yes it may be regarded as jewellery

As we aren't privy to any possible marital terms and conditions around the purchase of the watch or potential negotiations in the lead up, perhaps it would be best to step back from giving advice around interpersonal relationships between spouses
The OP has his watch and seemingly enjoys it just as things are
Thanks. I jokingly showed the '4. Get a divorce' post to my fiancee. She found that one funny and the others rude (I agree with her tbh).

I don't need to go into any detail but she hasn't specified any rules, she is just worried about it getting scratched more than I am. I am very much a believer in making good use out of things, where as she personally prefers to only rarely use her nice handbags.
blatchcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:57 AM   #52
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. I jokingly showed the '4. Get a divorce' post to my fiancee. She found that one funny and the others rude (I agree with her tbh).

I don't need to go into any detail but she hasn't specified any rules, she is just worried about it getting scratched more than I am. I am very much a believer in making good use out of things, where as she personally prefers to only rarely use her nice handbags.
Totally understandable.
Both my wife and I are probably sitting somewhere right in between where you and your wife are at, so it's a little easier for us
Old 4 May 2022, 08:49 AM   #53
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Hand wind it. It will help you bond with the watch more. To feel the gears, to listen to the ticking, etc. Also gives you a chance to re-sync the clock so it's precise to the second.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:20 AM   #54
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
On my "off day" when I wear my Casio Illuminator around the house or yard and on Sunday when I wear my Citizen dress watch, I wear my Tudor Submariner from the time I get up through breakfast. That keeps it ticking until the next day.
Old 4 May 2022, 10:30 AM   #55
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
It's your watch and your call, but I could never own a Rolex/spend Rolex money on a watch and only wear it once a week.

I WFH and I wear the watch daily...I find it quite enjoyable to look down at it through the day and remember I am wearing a Rolex. Maybe talk with your SO about this?...you have a nice watch and if you only wear it once a week, it just seems like there is so much enjoyment you are missing out on.

A winder seems like the best solution if you are only going to wear your watch once a week.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:48 AM   #56
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you will only wear once a week in lieu of no others, why bother. As said above, quartz is the way to go for you.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:53 AM   #57
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
First, the first thing I do when I wake up is put on one of my watches … no matter what day it is. I feel “naked” without one on.

Second, to answer your question, a watch winder not only winds and keeps the date current on your watch … it acts as the ultimate display case for your beloved watch. If you enjoy just looking at your watch, you will lose a lot of time just watching it spin … it’s relaxing in the way that one feels when watching a fish aquarium. It’s mesmerizing.

You have a beautiful winder, but to me, winding simple watches that take seconds to set is really just wearing them out for no reason. One of the moderators posed the question a while back. Would you prefer to buy an old stock new unworn or the same watch which has been on a winder for the past five years?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 11:49 AM   #58
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Quote:
Because I have to set the time and date every time I want to wear it. So that is an inconvenience. And most importantly I want to do whatever will prolong the life of the watch so I don't know if setting the date, for example, every week will do any long-term wear and tear
Buy an Apple Watch. Problem solved. Don't forget to charge the watch before bedtime though.
Old 4 May 2022, 11:52 AM   #59
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

this is the most bizarre thing i've read in a while. not wearing a watch you like because your wife says you shouldn't. what??? lol
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 11:53 AM   #60
stevestil
"TRF" Member

I wear my Rolex once per week, how should I keep it ticking?

not trying to tell you what to do with your marriage but i definitely would not wear my watches less because my wife said so lol

to each their own

anyway to answer your question if it gets worn once a week there’s really no need to buy a winder

stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote