The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2013, 09:43 PM   #31
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
I have DD that's over 30 years old and worn every day. Rolex had it 2 years ago for service they stated the bracelet is fine no repairs needed or band replaced. Save a a lot of money and get a good conditioned older style .Like Padi said there isn't a big difference between the links to warrant paying that much more money. My clasp has no play at all it's like new why. because it wasn't open or closed a lot stayed on the wrist.
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 10:40 PM   #32
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpfps View Post
I have DD that's over 30 years old and worn every day. Rolex had it 2 years ago for service they stated the bracelet is fine no repairs needed or band replaced. Save a a lot of money and get a good conditioned older style .Like Padi said there isn't a big difference between the links to warrant paying that much more money. My clasp has no play at all it's like new why. because it wasn't open or closed a lot stayed on the wrist.
Warren? Is that you??

Old 16 October 2013, 03:47 AM   #33
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
There is just as much metal on metal contact with the new bracelets and I'd wager there'll be just as many saggy ones around in 10-20 years time. I prefer the brushed lugs on the older ones, and they have extra polished bits on the case. Yum!
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:57 AM   #34
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I have yet to see why anyone would infer that the newer bracelets are better/stronger. That is misinformation that seems to be echoed by new watch owners that need some reassurance. No one really knows until the new bracelet sees 15-20 years of real world use. If anything, it has been reported just the opposite with clap failures.
Old 16 October 2013, 04:02 AM   #35
rangrov
"TRF" Member

solid all the way

I will speak honestly as I have owned the older day date 1984 a superb watch with the hollow links and lighter clasp, and my rose gold 2005 day date with the meteorite diamond dial, solid bracelet and heavy duty clasp, out of the two I would go for the later model, it feels so much better, plus I think the watch has progressed for the better as is all the new rolex models, I know it is more money but it is worth it. that's just my opinion.
rangrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 10:45 PM   #36
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
The bark finish really helps the band from looking beaten up from wear. I love it wouldn't have a DD with out the bark treatment !
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2013, 02:54 AM   #37
garymj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpfps View Post
The bark finish really helps the band from looking beaten up from wear. I love it wouldn't have a DD with out the bark treatment !
Agree, with this, I have a bark DD, had it twenty years,love it, never shows any scratches, unlike my 5 year old platinum DD which always need a little polish on the pcls.
garymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 11:44 PM   #38
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Agree with others on the older and bark bracelets

I too have an A series (~2000) and have found that is very robust and has stood the test of time well. The stretch is minimal and as others have mentioned the bark finish (despite it's polarizing effect) stands up well to daily wear.

I cannot count the number of people who, when see this watch live, remark how much they like it. In photos most people I find think it looks tacky and unwearable however that changes when seen in the metal. The reason I think is how nicely the bark finish changes with the light when worn. That and it is something that you just don't see everyday.

I have worn both the old and the new bracelet and clasp and although I do think that Rolex has made great improvements from one to the other by not means would I suggest that the old bracelet is in anyway sub standard.

-andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3023 (1).jpg (135.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5954.jpg (74.4 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2996.jpg (68.0 KB, 158 views)
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 11:49 PM   #39
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
I was at the local Mall Rolex dealer just looking around, I have another AD I buy from, but they had a DDII YG, so I checked it out, absolutely beautiful, sold feel, heavy, awesome watch, but that comes with a hefty $35k price tag.

My AD has a 36mm DD, maybe from 2005, it felt soild as well, just smaller, but they were asking $31k, I am not sure how a pre 2000 compares.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 12:05 AM   #40
Andrew NYC

Pre 2000 you can certainly can do better..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex74 View Post
I was at the local Mall Rolex dealer just looking around, I have another AD I buy from, but they had a DDII YG, so I checked it out, absolutely beautiful, sold feel, heavy, awesome watch, but that comes with a hefty $35k price tag.

My AD has a 36mm DD, maybe from 2005, it felt soild as well, just smaller, but they were asking $31k, I am not sure how a pre 2000 compares.
I can say, and you can see by perusing the sales forum, that prices on pre 2K DDs are often much more favorable that the prices you have indicated above. Not always easy to find however there are great examples of complete (boxes, papers, certificates, hang tags, etc) watches that are in like new condition for 1/3 of what you mentioned above.

I certainly appreciate collectors wanting the latest and greatest for a variety of factors but I do think it's worth hunting around and considering alternatives especially when you see the fantastic pictures of many of the collectors on this forum. For me the hunt is half the fun and the satisfaction so much greater once I find the piece that meets/exceeds my expectations.

ac
Old 19 October 2013, 12:19 AM   #41
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrolexman View Post
If you can afford it get the solid links. My buddy has the hollow and after a few years of wear it sags and its not the same feel as the solid link.

Plus, the clasp is solid. Check the back of mine out below.

That is beautiful!!!! That would be my formal watch.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 12:30 AM   #42
garymj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NYC View Post
I too have an A series (~2000) and have found that is very robust and has stood the test of time well. The stretch is minimal and as others have mentioned the bark finish (despite it's polarizing effect) stands up well to daily wear.

I cannot count the number of people who, when see this watch live, remark how much they like it. In photos most people I find think it looks tacky and unwearable however that changes when seen in the metal. The reason I think is how nicely the bark finish changes with the light when worn. That and it is something that you just don't see everyday.

I have worn both the old and the new bracelet and clasp and although I do think that Rolex has made great improvements from one to the other by not means would I suggest that the old bracelet is in anyway sub standard.

-andrew
Beautiful watch that, the only problem with mine is over the years the white face has gone cream, anyone else had that problem.
Old 19 October 2013, 12:35 AM   #43
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
Quote:
I can say, and you can see by perusing the sales forum, that prices on pre 2K DDs are often much more favorable that the prices you have indicated above. Not always easy to find however there are great examples of complete (boxes, papers, certificates, hang tags, etc) watches that are in like new condition for 1/3 of what you mentioned above.

I certainly appreciate collectors wanting the latest and greatest for a variety of factors but I do think it's worth hunting around and considering alternatives especially when you see the fantastic pictures of many of the collectors on this forum. For me the hunt is half the fun and the satisfaction so much greater once I find the piece that meets/exceeds my expectations.

ac
I enjoy the hunt too, and yes you can get great deals on older pieces with boxes, etc, but for me I have a DSSD and a DJII, to go back to a 36mm would be tough.

When I got my DJII I was looking at buy my old DJ back, side by side I just couldn't do it, so I ended up with the DJII. That would make it tougher to buy a 36mm DD, it just looks small on my wrist.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 12:54 AM   #44
Andrew NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex74 View Post
I enjoy the hunt too, and yes you can get great deals on older pieces with boxes, etc, but for me I have a DSSD and a DJII, to go back to a 36mm would be tough.

When I got my DJII I was looking at buy my old DJ back, side by side I just couldn't do it, so I ended up with the DJII. That would make it tougher to buy a 36mm DD, it just looks small on my wrist.
I certainly can appreciate the size dilemma. When I first starting wearing the 36mm DD I too felt that it was small and "undersized" especially when compared to my larger watches such as the 47mm PAM 232, Omega ProPlof, AP ROO Jumbo (39mm), etc. I however have found after a day of wear that you acclimate to the smaller size and that it looks no less elegant or masculine on the wrist. I love the classic look, feel and wrist presence of the 36mm DD despite its current less than popular size. Admittedly I do have a smaller wrist <7" but again it's really a matter of adjustment IMHO. Anyhow there are plenty of choices even within the Rolex line of watches. Ultimately you'll want to go with what makes you happiest. Know however that there are many satisfied customers when it comes to the classics.

AC
Old 19 October 2013, 05:16 AM   #45
Andrew NYC

Many Dial Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymj View Post
Beautiful watch that, the only problem with mine is over the years the white face has gone cream, anyone else had that problem.
That creamy white dial is highly coveted by some (think some older GMT II owners with the cream dials). Many may consider the "cream" look very collectible while others would prefer something more akin to the original.

That said, you can always replace the dial as there are many available for the DDs. I recently was at the RSC in NY and they showed me a variety dial options they would provide me for my DD. I currently have a black stick but they showed me white, silver, light champagne, and blue stick alternatives. They also indicated that I could pay one price which included them keeping my original dial or a higher price where I could keep my original dial. They also offered me leather strap and tang buckle options as well.

Outside of the official RSC channel there are hundreds of DD dials available aftermarket. The selection of course is much greater as you're not limited to current dials (think pyramid, wood, tiger eye, tuxedo, etc.). I have a friend who has 5-8 different dials and he switches them up every few months which really changes the look of the watch.

Bottom line many choices to keep things interesting.

-ac
Old 19 October 2013, 06:52 AM   #46
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
Wow. That's an awesome piece - I'm a huge fan of the Roman dial.

X2 for sure!!
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 07:08 AM   #47
IAN1
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex of course.
Solid is worth every extra penny.
IAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 08:24 PM   #48
garymj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That creamy white dial is highly coveted by some (think some older GMT II owners with the cream dials). Many may consider the "cream" look very collectible while others would prefer something more akin to the original.

That said, you can always replace the dial as there are many available for the DDs. I recently was at the RSC in NY and they showed me a variety dial options they would provide me for my DD. I currently have a black stick but they showed me white, silver, light champagne, and blue stick alternatives. They also indicated that I could pay one price which included them keeping my original dial or a higher price where I could keep my original dial. They also offered me leather strap and tang buckle options as well.

Outside of the official RSC channel there are hundreds of DD dials available aftermarket. The selection of course is much greater as you're not limited to current dials (think pyramid, wood, tiger eye, tuxedo, etc.). I have a friend who has 5-8 different dials and he switches them up every few months which really changes the look of the watch.

Bottom line many choices to keep things interesting.

-ac
It is something to think about, but would like to keep the original dial, for old: times sake. should of got a dial like yours, they seem to be timeless.