The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2014, 08:21 PM   #31
kimnkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have Rolex now stopped making one of the finest mechanical watches on this planet today.Or do they now make alignment point watches,now that's if any number or letter is supposed to align with anything.
Nope but its the same as crowns not being the right way up when tightened .

And yes, if you've noticed, the ROLEX script all the way around aligns with the minute markers. I expect them to - if Rolex aren't paying attention to the little details then I will have no confidence in them to pay attention when designing the rest of it.
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 09:39 PM   #32
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnkk View Post

And yes, if you've noticed, the ROLEX script all the way around aligns with the minute markers. I expect them to - if Rolex aren't paying attention to the little details then I will have no confidence in them to pay attention when designing the rest of it.
Its nothing to do with the design the Rolex on the rehaut is just branding nothing more.And before we had this branding on the rehaut there were no so called alignment points on the case.And the dial markers are just paint on a round disc made in a few now owned Rolex factories and when that disc is attached to the movement there is a tiny bit of lateral movement.Myself wish that Rolex would get rid of the Rolex branding on rehaut and the crown emblem. Then perhaps we could have some important discussions about Rolex and the history of said brand.But if that happened perhaps some would have nothing to moan about.And get back to the days of enjoying wearing one of the finest mechanical made watches today instead of lupe,serial, and alignment point mania.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 09:54 PM   #33
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Makes no difference.
Old 15 January 2014, 01:43 AM   #34
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Love this thread. Never loupe my new (non-vintage) watches or care about their S/N's. To each his own.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 02:01 AM   #35
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
G stands for green

I like when things are aligned,

if 99.99% of them are aligned, that becomes the norm and the customer could have a reasonable expectation of the same attention to detail for the watch he/she spends hard earned money for. Lets not forget that it is an absolutely fine top notch timepiece and Rolex has no issue with reminding you of such when they tell you the price upon purchase. Any way you slice it, you are paying for the expectation of owning something beyond ordinary, for many this is a once in a lifetime purchase, simple things like misalignment should be filtered out during quality control. That is my unwavering humble opinion.

Old 15 January 2014, 02:21 AM   #36
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No, no, no... you guys are looking at it all wrong..

If 99% of Rolex rehauts (or whatever) align, then if you have one that is off by a bit, well - you have a very rare Rolex.

Since "rare" Rolexes, or those with defects are always worth more than any other; it stands to reason that if you own one that is "off" it is worth considerably more..

So everybody with a watch that something doesn't perfectly align with whatever you think that it should align with, count your lucky stars....

You have a very valuable "rare", and perhaps one-of-a-kind piece and you should immediately consider it worth at least twice what everybody else's watch is worth...
Old 15 January 2014, 06:45 AM   #37
natelaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & SeaDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnkk View Post

Thanks for that comment about the crown being right side up when fully twisted to a close.

I though I was the only one with little OCD issues like that, but as always, I guess I'm not alone.

The way I figure if you're paying so much for a watch (or a piece of art) you almost want everything about it to be perfect.

I think the fact that random serials don't align with the second marks would trigger my OCD and thus G Serial it is (for me)

Thanks anyways for all the input guys! This forum Rocks!
natelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 09:29 AM   #38
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Being OCD is such a pain in the ass.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 09:32 AM   #39
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
Being OCD is such a pain in the ass.
True, but

somebody
has

to
do
it
Old 15 January 2014, 10:05 AM   #40
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
True, but

somebody
has

to
do
it
I know what you mean because I have it too. I just feel like some of us will give ourselves a heart attack.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 10:28 AM   #41
natelaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & SeaDweller
Perhaps OCD is what makes us appreciate the detailed specifics of fine watches...
natelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 10:49 AM   #42
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
They look exactly the same, don't they? What matters more is the date of purchase writtent on the warranty card.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 10:53 AM   #43
Keith1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C blue, DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
They look exactly the same, don't they? What matters more is the date of purchase writtent on the warranty card.
Exact same watch. You are 100% correct.
Keith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 11:20 AM   #44
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natelaw View Post
Perhaps OCD is what makes us appreciate the detailed specifics of fine watches...
i would agree and ill bet there are a whole bunch of swiss that suffer from it dearly
there is no way you make a timepiece with that precision and are free of this debilitating disease
Old 15 January 2014, 12:56 PM   #45
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I was happy to get a random DSSD. If I buy new (which I did), I want it as new as possible.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 04:10 PM   #46
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
I was happy to get a random DSSD. If I buy new (which I did), I want it as new as possible.
Please explain how you know that your random is as new as possible? How do you know your watch isn't older than a G serial at another AD?
Old 15 January 2014, 05:50 PM   #47
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
Well perhaps the case could be newer made or stamped but the main bit the movement when that was made well only Rolex knows that one.And can assure they are not made the same day, week, month, or even year.With movements like the cal 3135 approx 600000 units a year, Rolex must have a huge stock pile to keep production rolling. Plus the ones back and throe the COSC for testing that takes 15 days.Plus the ones past test and the ones failed and returned to Rolex for say re-oiling and sent back for testing.So in any case no matter case serial the movement could be older or newer made or visa versa.Now very soon there will be far more random serial watches in this Rolex world than any single letter serial since the letter serrials started way back in 1987.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 07:08 PM   #48
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
i would agree and ill bet there are a whole bunch of swiss that suffer from it dearly
there is no way you make a timepiece with that precision and are free of this debilitating disease
An interesting point Gus.

If Rolex had no interest in precision or attention to detail then the movements wouldn't run at all.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote