The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 September 2016, 09:50 AM   #31
TickTopia
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
since the guy sounds like an ass, you should just assume it's a fake and think nothing further of him.....
+1
TickTopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 10:03 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb-man View Post
exactly. Let them dictate the conversation happening or not. I do the same with cars. Nice car!

I would never expect someone to know the fine details of their car or watch.
x2
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 10:23 AM   #33
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Sounds like someone who bought something just for the bling and the name. Whatever floats his boat.
Old 6 September 2016, 11:18 AM   #34
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
The vast majority of Rolex owners out there don't give a rats ass about the technical aspects of the watch they're wearing. It's a luxury brand, which they can afford or aspired to afford and that's it.

Does it bother me? Not in the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 11:52 AM   #35
Gnomon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Frankly why do you care? And why should we? Clearly the guy is a bit of an arrogant dick. So why waste one instant of your time thinking about it or any of our time reading about it?

Avoid (or at least don't seek out interactions with) the guy and refrain from polluting your or our collective consciousness with anything to do with him.

At the risk of repeating myself, Life is too short.

You should be secure enough in yourself not to give a rat's ass about what he he says to you in any silly status one-upmanship games.

No offence meant. Just really.
Old 6 September 2016, 12:36 PM   #36
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I have a Corvette and I'm in a Corvette Club. I know very little about the internals of the workings of any car, but a lot of the guys talk about that.

Thinks like axel ratios, etc. I'm not a dick about it, I just nod my head politely.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 01:36 PM   #37
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I would have taken off my white rolex glove that I got from the boutique and slapped him across the face for not knowing every little detail about the masterpiece on his wrist.

In reality I realized a long time ago that we are talking about rolex. The most advertised and most well known luxury watch brand in the world.

The vast majority of people who wear a rolex wear one because it's well known and expensive. Not because they care about watches.

I've had my fair share of experiences with oblivious rolex owners. They are the ones that have turned me off from complimenting a stranger on his watch.
Old 6 September 2016, 01:45 PM   #38
Gus2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LV HULK
So there are two main "themes" I've picked up from this conversation:

1. People comparing cars with a watch. I personally can't make the same comparisson in this case, we weren't talking about the interworkings of the watch, I just mentioned the model name and he didn't know. That's pretty basic. Is like if I asked Bryan above "How do you like your Corvette" and Bryan said "What do you mean?". That's more of a fair comparisson. And yes, there are TONS of people who buy Corvettes because of the "status" it represents, or because their dad had one when they were growing up, or whatever, and they don't know every single mechanical detail about the car, but would they not know they own a Corvette? And maybe some basic info, like what year is it. All of that is understandable. But not even know that is a Corvette is a diffferent thing.

2. Don't engage in conversation regarding other people's watch. Most people here just basically said: "Here's the solution: Shut up." And I guess that would take care of finding yourself in these "awkward" situations, but at the same time it's a sure way of depriving yourself from sharing a good conversation with someone that might share a common set of knowledge and/or excitement regarding these time pieces.

And then there's this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
Frankly why do you care? And why should we? Clearly the guy is a bit of an arrogant dick. So why waste one instant of your time thinking about it or any of our time reading about it?

Avoid (or at least don't seek out interactions with) the guy and refrain from polluting your or our collective consciousness with anything to do with him.

At the risk of repeating myself, Life is too short.

You should be secure enough in yourself not to give a rat's ass about what he he says to you in any silly status one-upmanship games.

No offence meant. Just really.
First you start by saying "Why spend one instant of your time thinking about this or even reading it" and then you go ahead and tell all of us what you think, offering directives like you are the only one that knows how to act in this situation.

You sound exactly like the guy from the original post.
Gus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 02:38 PM   #39
Gnomon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus2 View Post
situation.

You sound exactly like the guy from the original post.
No I don't. I wasn't asking the community for a self-reassuring or explanatory opinion. I was giving one.

Additionally it seemed to me that the OP might benefit from having my reasoning spelled out multiple times in multiple ways. New ideas need repetition and reinforcing. However, we are not here to discuss pedagogy and rhetoric.

I also thought it was worth hammering the point home because we seem to have a plethora of these pointless threads. I mean it's as old as the hills that most non WIS don't care about the specifics of our hobby and it's also not news that many people are arrogant pricks, and it's not unheard of for other people to be put off by it. But why such perennial topics need repetitive entropy-bloating forum bandwidth and a great deal of 'prognostication' utterly escapes me.

You and anyone else are more than welcome to disagree with me.

Pax Out.
Old 6 September 2016, 03:17 PM   #40
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
have you considered that the 'other guy' may not be the problem?
+1
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 11:05 PM   #41
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

So I get the premise of the OP - but if I saw a guy pull up to a watch show in a Ferrari I'd prolly not ask him the cylinder firing order or degree of advance at TDC.

What? You would???

Off topic, who knows the chemical composition of that water you sipped just a minute ago? To some a watch is like a cup of water - you just use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 11:25 PM   #42
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Oblivious to the Rolex they are wearing...what do you do?
Nothing
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 02:29 AM   #43
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Short question: "How do you deal with people who wear a Rolex but clearly don't know anything about it? (I.E. Bought it because it's expensive but don't really appreciate it)

---

Longer story/question:

I got a question for those of you who have had the luck to meet a fellow Rolex owner that is completely oblivious about what they are wearing.

I don't want to give all his information because I've met him twice and if I shared all his details, you would be able to easily find him in local car shows here in Atlanta but anyway, let me set the scenario for you.

I met this guy at a local car show called "Caffeine and Exotics" where people bring their exotic cars and all kinds of people and families come and take pictures of the cars, ask questions, etc. Great stuff. I own an Ariel Atom 2 Supercharged and bring it to those shows. My car is not super expensive like most of the other cars but it's definitely considered "Exotic" so I get invited to these shows.

So anyway, I met this guy at that show back in August and even though we are on the same place he acts like no one else belongs there. Again, I hate to withhold info about his car, but let's just say that whatever he owns is not a big deal, I'll leave it at that.

Yesterday I went to another car show called "Caffeine and Octane" and got invited to the Exotics lot so this guy was there, so I said to myself: "Maybe I didn't judge him right last time, I'll give him another chance" but I quickly realized I was right from the last time...the guy is in full "everything stinks here and I'm better than everyone" mode...I'm sure you've met people like that before. I hate people like that.

One of the things I noticed is that he was wearing this Rolex Day-Date covered in diamonds, it looked like this:

So I bring it up and say "So, how do you like your Day-Date?"

The guys says: "What do you mean?"
Me: "Your Day Date, how do you like it?"
Guy: "I'm not sure I understand"
Me: "Your Rolex Day-Date, the one you are wearing, do you like it?"
Guy: *looks at his watch* "Oh, Day-Date, Okay, yeah, I didn't know the name of it, yeah I mean, it's cool, I bought it like a year ago, it's nice, a little flashy but I really like it"
Me: *I point to my Cellini and show him* "How is that movement regarding time accuracy? I haven't worn my Cellini in a few weeks and I noticed this morning I had to adjust it 3 minutes forward"
Guy: "Is that Quartz?"
-- I know Rolex stopped making Quartz watches 15 years ago, so I give him the benefit of the doubt --
Me: "No, it's a Cellini, it's perpetual movement just like yours"
Guy: "Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't know Rolex makes watches with leather straps so I thought it was a Quartz, I only have this one so I haven't done a lot of research"

At that point I just changed the subject because I think Rolex even makes the Day-Date with leather straps so I figured the guy just bought the most expensive watch he found at the store and didn't bother to learn anything about the brand, but I wonder, how do you guys deal with these situations?

The other times I've found Rolex owners and I bring their watch up, or they say something about mine, it's always a great conversation, they know a little bit, I know a little bit, it's cool.

But this was my first time with a guy who just spent the money because he thought it would be cool...so how do you handle these situations?

Please stop talking to strangers about their watches...

It is a completely pointless conversation that only leads a WIS to be bewildered by the other persons lack of knowledge and then come here and tell us all about it.

Just stop. The other guy has a Rolex because it's AWESOME and FLASHY and other people cant't afford one so he is a better human. That simple.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 02:30 AM   #44
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If someone doesn't notice my Rolex, I ask them to ask me the time.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 02:54 AM   #45
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post

AlphaOmega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:38 AM   #46
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
lol
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:50 AM   #47
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I thought the gentleman, in question, was a braggart until someone mentioned cars. I own a Turbo S, and could not tell someone anything much more than it's fast. It's my second Porsche, but my knowledge is limited somewhat.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote