The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 June 2018, 01:20 AM   #31
MinMay
Banned

Biting the Bullet on the 116500 Daytona

Everyone is different. Your life. Your path. Your future. Your money. Do what makes you happy. I do know I can make far more greater money with a 10k or 20k in 15 or 30 years than a watch.

Buy it now if it makes you happy. It sounds like you have the money to do so. Might as well enjoy it because you don’t know what lies ahead of you. No one does.

Since you feel the watch hold its value then you have nothing to lose right?

I’m going to assume we all have money since we’re wearing luxury watches. The difference is only 6k. That’s not much. It’s like a monthly college tuition or a week vacation in Hawaii.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:28 AM   #32
Shiny1
Banned

I would go for it
Shiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:29 AM   #33
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I personally would not. Make sure this is the one grail watch for you and you aren’t just getting caught up in hype and FOMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:56 AM   #34
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You must do what you must do,myself would not pay a premium price for a watch which in the real world is basically the same as the old 18 year old Daytona with a few cosmetic changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
It's just a slither of overpriced ceramic bezel change and slightly different dials nothing more.No need for ceramic now if they put the aluminum insert and dial like the Daytona 6263 now that would have been a great looking Daytona.
Well the ceramic greatly adds to the durability of the watch. Makes it much more resistant to damage than the steel bezeled ones. Between that an the long time desirability of the Daytonas that little sliver of ceramic makes the watch unique. Besides, even the 116520s are selling for outrageous prices. But basically if you want a new Daytona and aren't on the good side of an AD then gray is the only way to go.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:12 AM   #35
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Just do it. -nike

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:24 AM   #36
T01
"TRF" Member

Without a relationship, I would say yes, the premium is the way to go if you really want the watch. I doubt demand is going down anytime soon. Even before the update, the 116520 was not easy to come by. With the 500, forget about it.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:58 AM   #37
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
If its within a comfortable budget for you... sure why not, its just market value especially if you're saying its the one and only watch you wanted! Time is money and who knows if a price increase will come... possibly even multiple increases if you're on a ridiculous 8-10 year wait that may still be having you paying today's market value anyway, inflation excluded
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 03:01 AM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If it really is a lifetime legacy watch then sure go for it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 03:02 AM   #39
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

My thought would be that if you have the disposable income to pay the premium and not shortchange anything else in you or your child’s life, absolutely go ahead and do it. If paying the premium would cause something else to be neglected, I’d do as others above have mentioned and put that money towards other things (vacation etc).
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 03:08 AM   #40
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you need it NOW then yes, but if your talking about a heirloom and passing it among 3 generations whynot just wait until it comes. You can always buy them used or grey at these inflated prices, put your name on a few lists get out there make it fun.

Money can buy many things, but it will not buy the story of your hunt that you pass down with that watch.

Example 1: "This was my grandfathers watch, then my fathers watch"
Example 2: "This watch was so hard to get my grandfather waited x years/months and ended up in Alabama to buy it, hes so cool!, then my dad begged him forever to give it up"

&

Example 3: "If you give me 40k its yours"
Old 13 June 2018, 03:11 AM   #41
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_six View Post
not bad advice right here...

+2.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 03:16 AM   #42
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

No way.
Don’t be a victim.

Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 03:23 AM   #43
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
No way! Plenty of nice watches that are available at retail or less. Don’t buy into the hype! If I was gunna spend that kinda money I would go PM

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 03:42 AM   #44
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
19k for a SS daytona...

no, thank you

You're in the realm of a PM model Rolex in the 2nd hand market.

Im looking at picking up a yg sub for 24K from my watch broker in LA.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 03:47 AM   #45
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post

I’m going to assume we all have money since we’re wearing luxury watches. The difference is only 6k. That’s not much. It’s like a monthly college tuition or a week vacation in Hawaii.
$6k is a big chunk of money to a lot of us

However, OP if you want the watch the price is the price. I can only speak for myself when I say that I would buy it now at the cheapest grey market price I can find if it was my grail/fixation piece. Yes you will pay a premium, but that’s what the watch is going for and I for one DO NOT have patience.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 04:32 AM   #46
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Now with Rolex scarcity marketing it comes down to this: You have to be very lucky or you're a VVIP customer to get your SS Daytona at MSRP at the dealer. So you can just wait indefinitely for your chance or get it now.

Many don't want to pay over MSRP for their SS Sport watches and I wouldn't neither but it slowly becomes a new reality that many will have to pay over MSRP for their SS sport watches.

Just go for it if you can afford it, life's too short
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:05 AM   #47
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
I’m not one to pay premium, but it’s your money. You decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:13 AM   #48
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If you like it and will not be overstretching your means I think it is worth it. At the end of the day you aren't selling the watch. You'll get to enjoy it and your children will too. That would be a big picture look.

_____

My personal principle would be a no as I don't like playing the ADs' VVVVVVVIP games to own the watch when a lot of their VVVVVVVIP either don't care about the actual piece or they purposely buy it to make a few bucks. <--- which would also be a touchy subject as I know and understand what trusted sellers and greys do as part of their business model (some watches will obviously be sourced less while others cost a bit more), but overall almost every average Joe is trying to obtain the watch to flip (usually not forum regulars either).

Reminds me of seeing those people lining up for the iPhone or Supreme clothing. All of about the hype and the $$$.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 04:21 PM   #49
Fard
Banned

I would never ever do it
Fard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:30 PM   #50
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
So telling my wife, that if I over pay for a watch now, it will really benefit some possible grandchildren down the road will work?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:50 PM   #51
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
If you can get one for under 17k then I’d go for it, mainly since you want it to be a legacy watch.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:54 PM   #52
Fard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
So telling my wife, that if I over pay for a watch now, it will really benefit some possible grandchildren down the road will work?
Or put the money you save by not buying it in a savings account / investment account and watch it grow at a slow pace until your child can use it.
Fard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 06:14 PM   #53
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Lifes to short to be waiting!
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 06:15 PM   #54
dberman3
"TRF" Member

When it hurts not to have something... anything at all...you’re at a top. When it hurts to own something, you’re at a bottom. Plain and simple. Always has been and always will be. If you want it, buy it. It’s just money, after all, but it’ll be affordable soon enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
dberman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 07:48 PM   #55
Spoonage

My opinion and view...

I have a White DaytonaC. I was able to get mine at MSRP no $ down with a 3 month wait. Great watch at MSRP. Not worth it in my opinion at current premiums. I understand you don't have a relationship with an AD now, but for the price of the premium, could you walk into an AD and say if you buy your wife jewelry (~ equal to the premium price) or say another watch would that get you the Daytona... It's funny that people balk at the fact of building a relationship or having to buy a second watch from an AD, but truthfully I would rather spend 20k on a DaytonaC and jewelry for the wife (or a second watch) then 20k on just a DaytonaC.

By doing that you get the DaytonaC at MSRP, another watch / jewelry, and start the relationship with your AD for the future...

If you're passing it down to your kid, wouldn't you much rather have it with your name (or their name) on the original warranty papers? Highly doubt picking this one up grey will get you that.
Spoonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 08:51 PM   #56
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
My opinion and view...

I have a White DaytonaC. I was able to get mine at MSRP no $ down with a 3 month wait. Great watch at MSRP. Not worth it in my opinion at current premiums. I understand you don't have a relationship with an AD now, but for the price of the premium, could you walk into an AD and say if you buy your wife jewelry (~ equal to the premium price) or say another watch would that get you the Daytona... It's funny that people balk at the fact of building a relationship or having to buy a second watch from an AD, but truthfully I would rather spend 20k on a DaytonaC and jewelry for the wife (or a second watch) then 20k on just a DaytonaC.

By doing that you get the DaytonaC at MSRP, another watch / jewelry, and start the relationship with your AD for the future...

If you're passing it down to your kid, wouldn't you much rather have it with your name (or their name) on the original warranty papers? Highly doubt picking this one up grey will get you that.
Makes total sense as long as the wait is reasonable.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 08:55 PM   #57
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not pay the current premium for the watch. I would wait and pick another classic watch that could be worn and enjoyed and then either traded on the Daytona-C or kept and add the Daytona-C.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:01 PM   #58
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
When did it become your grail? Don’t get caught up on the excitement. Ask yourself if you can’t live without it.

Take a breath, walk away for a month. Come back next month if you still feel strongly about it then buy it.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:10 PM   #59
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Between now and when you plan to hand it down, there'll be another 3 or 4 Daytona updates, bubbles will come and go and you'll discover watches/other things you want more. Buy another nice Rolex, invest the $7k premium for your future spawn, it'll probably make them happier than a watch.
If you really want it just for you, then sure, go for it...
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 10:22 PM   #60
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
You could wait 7-8 years and end-up paying more from an AD......and not have the benefit of enjoying the watch whilst you wait!! If you have the cash then why not. Good luck with your decision.
Paying more than a 50% markup in 7-8 years? MSRP in 8 years will be over 19K? I think not......

But agree with everyone else. If you want it now and have to have it, do it and you will forget about the money factor in a short time.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote