The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 03:14 PM   #31
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Mansfield, Texas...small world. Howdy neighbor!
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:33 PM   #32
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Really sorry to hear this happened to you. Hope they make it right to you ASAP.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:48 PM   #33
Churchwa
"TRF" Member

Stay focused on the goal, the Daytona. Infuriated as you may be, try to stay calm and use it to your advantage. If you scream at them, which is what I would want to do, they won't respond well. They might get the point but it won't engender good will.

Be polite and professional with the manager, highlighting how deeply disappointed you are with the situation, how excited you had been given the wait and how you hope to continue the relationship but whish it had been dealt with differently.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Churchwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:52 PM   #34
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

The mistake you made was ringing up as you were on your way to get it. If you’d just turned up to collect the watch then it might have gone differently? Very easy to fob you off over the phone, if the AD rings to tell you they have a watch and you turn up it’d have been way harder for them to say “actually, sorry you can’t have it” when you’re stood there with the money.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:02 PM   #35
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymg View Post
Wow, crazy you have to spend a million to get some good service from these AD's! It was $6K over MSRP one or two years ago before the big time auction houses ruined it for everyone, now they are $9-10K which easily exceeds the cost of the two tone you can find easily (steel costs more than gold nowadays??). But the waitlists were still long no matter what. I can't seem to get on a waitlist. Oh well.
Ya, ridiculous. I'd take the TT any day over the hype, IF I was a Daytona fan. Some can argue it also looks better.

If I was paying Grey prices for the SS I'd rather pay some more and get it on Oysterflex which looks great. Then again I don't tell people how to spend their hard earned money.

myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:14 PM   #36
MR. STEEL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Oysterflex looks better in my humble opinion. Daytona seems a bit overhyped. I dont understand why people are so crazy over a watch with a complication they'll never use
MR. STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:24 PM   #37
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Not sure what's worse, having to talk to these guys that make you jump through hoops and baits you along or never being contacted being on an imaginary list. I feel blessed there isn't a modern Rolex reference I'm chasing right now........terrible environment for buyers and ridiculous for a luxury good. But really it has to be this way....otherwise these things wouldn't be so sought after and hold values/appreciate the way they do.

I think this is spot on. Many, myself included, have a grumble about AD’s and not being able to buy the watches we want but the flip side is that everything we do buy is sought after and holds value really well. It’s hard to have it both ways.

It would be interesting if the market was flooded if half the people would buy with the thought of losing money once purchased.

Either way - OP that’s not great and sorry. However, I’m sure there will be another one somewhere with your name on it. It’s only a watch, but pretty crap from the AD in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:37 PM   #38
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Profound tragedy
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:40 PM   #39
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
No it was the stainless Daytona the white face black bezel. The one people wait forever for the guy told me it was my watch come get it that is the issue. He didn’t get his manager approval I guess. What a bonehead move
A panda dial is one that has full colored sub dials, contrasting with the dial color. Not the case with the SS versions, as none has full colored sub dials.

I wouldn't hurry to blame the SA, in cases like this with hard to get items, often is the manager to blame, but the SA takes the knocks as he has to speak with the client.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:49 PM   #40
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
I wouldn't hurry to blame the SA, in cases like this with hard to get items, often is the manager to blame, but the SA takes the knocks as he has to speak with the client.
The manager is not running a tight ship. His crew is not aware of their decision making limitations.
Even if they have a policy at they should stick to that and very poor form to let the SA fall on his face.
Old 22 January 2019, 05:35 PM   #41
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s really annoying. Fortunately I deal with an owner so when he says come and get it he means it. But also when he ignores me I know I’ll not be getting it period lol

If it helps at all the watch is a bit overrated. Sub dials aren’t aligned at 3-9 o’clock. It’s not a true panda dial. It’s named after a nascar track in Florida lol ok I’ve gone much to far. I’ll move along.
Lol. I like this train of thought. :cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:25 PM   #42
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
I doubt I would purchase anything from them after that. On principal.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:17 PM   #43
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Take your business elsewhere but tell the owner what occured. That said it is a privilege not a right now a days to buy a hot rolex at the Ad.
When was it ever a right? Mechanical watches as a means of time keeping are decades out of date; it's a luxury and has been since the mid to late 1970's when the price of quartz watches dropped below that of mechanical.

As for what happened with the AD. It sucks, but it sounds like a mistake. I'm confident we all make them in our private and professional lives. They are in business to sell, and you are a customer; it does not serve their purpose to alienate you on purpose. Taking it personally is pointless, there are much better things to be passionate (read: angry) about.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:38 PM   #44
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

So.......
Firstly I feel the pain here. I would be mighty annoyed if this happened to me to. It is as if you have entered an agreement only for someone then to renege on that because 'they feel like it' and you aren't worthy enough. Common sense would have told them to honour the deal - you would have then likely told everyone what a decent bunch they were as a result.
I am generally of the view there is usually something to be had from this so I would agree with others and the only way you will get anywhere is to go in person and speak to them. If they are half decent then the manager who over-rode the discussion you had with the sales assistant will see you. If he hides behind the junior staff then you know this is the wrong place to do business but generally most decent bosses would look to get everyone happy and the situation resolved. If they don't you have every right to trash them endlessly and given that at some point we are going to have a recession both sides of the pond then life will be tough for those that think that customer service applies to other sectors.....

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:41 PM   #45
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Reading these sad tales of anguish and woe always makes me realise how trivial and mundane my worries in life are.
Old 22 January 2019, 07:58 PM   #46
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
that's exactly what makes the daytona so special, otherwise we wont so eagerly want to get one. haha. your time will come I'm sure, good things come to those who wait.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:35 PM   #47
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
The mistake you made was ringing up as you were on your way to get it. If you’d just turned up to collect the watch then it might have gone differently? Very easy to fob you off over the phone, if the AD rings to tell you they have a watch and you turn up it’d have been way harder for them to say “actually, sorry you can’t have it” when you’re stood there with the money.
I was thinking this as well. Kind of like a girl you really like, it's easy to scare her off if you're too clingy
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:43 PM   #48
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Very poor form on their part. I'd go have a calm talk with the manager and see if he can make it up to you in the near future.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:45 PM   #49
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
So sorry to hear that. That would break anyone's heart.... but guess what when it's meant to be it's meant to be... you will get it...
RolexFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:50 PM   #50
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I was thinking this as well. Kind of like a girl you really like, it's easy to scare her off if you're too clingy
Yep, he said ‘I love you’ way too quickly.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:01 AM   #51
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
The watch will soon be available on the manager's grey dealer friend's website.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:06 AM   #52
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
The watch will soon be available on the manager's grey dealer friend's website.
You are probably right.
I would never buy from them again and leave reviews stating what was done.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:10 AM   #53
Tokyo Mike
Banned

The same happened to me, although with an Explorer 2.

Called back with my card info, only to be told another sales person sold it. I was pissed.
Tokyo Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:13 AM   #54
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Very poor form on their part. I'd go have a calm talk with the manager and see if he can make it up to you in the near future.
Correct! No need to be overly angry. Its worth talking in person with the manager to express disappointment and make sure they know this is poor form.

I would expect that an honorable person would guarantee you the next one or to even try and honor their original commitment to this one.

Without any stipulation to buy jewelry.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:45 AM   #55
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

If it were me I would discuss this in person with the manager and the salesperson who called you. Hopefully, they will offer to make it right with a counteroffer of some sort.

however you look at it its not right...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:46 AM   #56
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Yeh it’s all good. We weren’t dying for the watch. It was just not right for them to do that to us
Just face the fact it is a SELLERS market right now with the supply vs. demand situation. AD's can treat prospective customers like dirt if they wish. Until the situation reverses itself if ever, AD's and independent dealers have the upper hand. Be prepared for heartbreak, there seems to be a thread like this one almost every day.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:49 AM   #57
harvey
"TRF" Member

Simply, you don't choose the AD, the AD chooses you! So find one that will look out for you...
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:33 AM   #58
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s really annoying. Fortunately I deal with an owner so when he says come and get it he means it. But also when he ignores me I know I’ll not be getting it period lol

If it helps at all the watch is a bit overrated. Sub dials aren’t aligned at 3-9 o’clock. It’s not a true panda dial. It’s named after a nascar track in Florida lol ok I’ve gone much to far. I’ll move along.
Could you elaborate on the sub dials not being aligned? Are there pictures?
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:39 AM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Chain of command is now Army tight so salesman have no power, even managers have none in the big chains over here, everything is decided at Head Office.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #60
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
I would go to the store and confront the sales associate and the manager personally. You obviously have some sort of relationship with these guys if your name was even on the radar for a SS Daytona.
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote