The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 December 2021, 08:18 AM   #31
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
@Mickey
@Beto737

Thank you - I appreciate the support. But seriously, given how much money I have to pay the IRS every year, or tuition for the kids, or health insurance, or travel for the family ... if I want something for me, I should be able to get it. Period. ;)

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is that Daytona in the middle a wg silver dial of model you mod’d onto a bracelet? If so what’s the trick? Just curious because I have one and like that look.
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:25 AM   #32
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Paid $20,900 for my Hulk few months ago. Justification? Discontinued. Regrets? None.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:27 AM   #33
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCarter View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is that Daytona in the middle a wg silver dial of model you mod’d onto a bracelet? If so what’s the trick? Just curious because I have one and like that look.
Not a dumb question at all. The one in the middle is a regular SS 116500LN that came with a black dial. After a long search, I was able to acquire a silver dial that is normally reserved for the WG Daytona from an AD. I had my watchmaker replace the dial for me. It was a "bucket list project" for me.

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:27 AM   #34
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laostuh View Post
Paid $20,900 for my Hulk few months ago. Justification? Discontinued. Regrets? None.
There is some honesty! If your good that's all that matters.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:30 AM   #35
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I personally have not, however I totally get why someone would. If money is not the issue and you want it then get it
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:51 AM   #36
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Technically the 68 6241 white/cream dial newman I just picked up...that went up a lot since 68 lol.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:53 AM   #37
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Technically the 68 6241 white/cream dial newman I just picked up...that went up a lot since 68 lol.
Not sure that is a current production model...
Old 20 December 2021, 08:54 AM   #38
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Not a dumb question at all. The one in the middle is a regular SS 116500LN that came with a black dial. After a long search, I was able to acquire a silver dial that is normally reserved for the WG Daytona from an AD. I had my watchmaker replace the dial for me. It was a "bucket list project" for me.

Man knows what he likes. Man knows what he wants. Man gets it.
Old 20 December 2021, 08:55 AM   #39
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Not sure that is a current production model...

missed that part
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:56 AM   #40
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
missed that part
No worries...left those out because all bets are off on discontinued models...not to mention yours . Love to see a pic.
Old 20 December 2021, 09:00 AM   #41
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

You first
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:04 AM   #42
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Ive never payed over, but would pay 7% over for a BNIB from a grey if they didn't charge tax. Effectively paying the same from an AD that charged sales tax.
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:06 AM   #43
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseco View Post
Ive never payed over, but would pay 7% over for a BNIB from a grey if they didn't charge tax. Effectively paying the same from an AD that charged sales tax.
Yes, I would do the same.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:08 AM   #44
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This one might not get a lot of honest answers but we all want to study the mind of the 35k Turquoise Blue OP Rolex owner...

Anyone else have a story to tell? Still ok with the decision? Most you've paid over MSRP for a current model?

And let me say we all know the reason people buy from Grey so no reason to spout on about "availability".

Just talking how much over MSRP.
Have you paid over MSRP for a watch? My guess is no.
Old 20 December 2021, 09:09 AM   #45
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Man knows what he likes. Man knows what he wants. Man gets it.
Just do it.

My father wanted an Eames Lounge Chair all his life. He was close to pulling the trigger many times, and even though he absolutely had the money to buy it, he died (too soon) without ever having had one. I find that sad and decided to make my dreams come true whenever possible. The materialistic ones are easiest. Convincing Claudia Schiffer to leaver her husband for me may eventually not work out. ;)

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Old 20 December 2021, 09:10 AM   #46
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Only own two Rolex and both purchased in 2019 from B&M grey at MSRP..
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:18 AM   #47
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Just do it.

My father wanted an Eames Lounge Chair all his life. He was close to pulling the trigger many times, and even though he absolutely had the money to buy it, he died (too soon) without ever having had one. I find that sad and decided to make my dreams come true whenever possible. The materialistic ones are easiest. Convincing Claudia Schiffer to leaver her husband for me may eventually not work out. ;)
So true. We are aligned for sure. When you mentioned taxes, college, cars and all the other stuff we pay for others a little happiness for oneself is a must.

Came from a family with nothing...little coal town in NE PA. But my dad always took us to Disney World every year and he loved Sanibel Island so he found a way. He wanted a Winnebago Brave and somehow found a way. We were like rockstars relative to people going to the NJ Shore.

He is gone and when he passed I imagine he had regrets but it wasn't for lack of living life.

I live my life the same way...can't be stupid about it but no-one says on their death bed "I'm so glad I have a big bank account". Well no-one I can relate to that is.

Oh and that is a beautiful chair...you should buy one in honor of dad!

"Tempus Fugit Memento Mori" !
Old 20 December 2021, 09:22 AM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s all relative. To some 35k is a drop in the bucket, and if they want the watch they’ll just buy it.

Personally I’ve only ever paid over retail for one watch and that was one that was already sold out at boutiques. I paid roughly $1000 over MRSP.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:31 AM   #49
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He is gone and when he passed I imagine he had regrets but it wasn't for lack of living life.

I live my life the same way...can't be stupid about it but no-one says on their death bed "I'm so glad I have a big bank account". "Tempus Fugit Memento Mori" !
That's exactly it. And that's part of the reason why people will end up paying $35k for a Daytona or $25k for that Tiffany OP. If that's your dream, go ahead and pay over MSRP. 20 years down the road, it probably won't matter in your life if you spent twice over MSRP or not. Enjoy it, as long as it doesn't impact the amount or quality of food on your table. It it does, sell it immediately.

But I can see the other side of the coin as well. I understand why people will want to wait for the AD call, even though it may never materialize. You don't want to play the Gray's game, you want to be treated "right" by the market and in the end, your iPhone displays time just as well. That just means that you get more satisfaction from not being a "pawn" in the Rolex-MSRP game, than from owning the watch. I get it, to each his own. No judgement.

I figure I got around 12,000 days left on this earth. I'd rather enjoy looking at my wrist while they pass. That puts a smile on my face and I have long suppressed the memory of handing someone MSRP+ in some shady parking lot to get what I wanted.

Maybe I'm just weak. ;) ;) ;)

Old 20 December 2021, 09:33 AM   #50
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

Looks like the perfect Daytona
Old 20 December 2021, 09:35 AM   #51
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Never pay over retail for a used watch still in production.

I might buy vintage one day.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:39 AM   #52
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I once paid £3K over list (or rather what was the final list price), for a NOS discontinued piece. Reason - it was discontinued, which genuinely means the market price is THE price, and £3K just wasn't a big deal for a watch that I will always keep.

That said, I'd personally never pay over list for a current production piece as I have a decent enough relationship with two local ADs to (eventually) get what I want at RRP, although at the moment there's nothing I want from the current catalogue anyway.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:46 AM   #53
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Looks like the perfect Daytona
Thank you, I tend to agree. ;)

The only reason, and that's BTT, why I waited so long to acquire the dial from an AD was authenticity. There was only one (offered at over 3x MSRP) somewhere in the Emirates. I just didn't want to take any risk.

And to be honest, that's another argument for the not-more-than-MSRP buyers: Purchasing from an AD (at MSRP) you get guaranteed authenticity, especially important if it's your first watch. (Well, except for the new "Preowned" sections at the ADs. Since they have figured out how to capitalize on the premium over MSRP, you get assurance there as well.)

Old 20 December 2021, 09:55 AM   #54
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Collectors will continue to “collect” at a price (MSRP or higher by X) they are comfortable with. Most collectors I know are happy people and probably continue to do what makes them smile
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:58 AM   #55
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
That's exactly it. And that's part of the reason why people will end up paying $35k for a Daytona or $25k for that Tiffany OP. If that's your dream, go ahead and pay over MSRP. 20 years down the road, it probably won't matter in your life if you spent twice over MSRP or not. Enjoy it, as long as it doesn't impact the amount or quality of food on your table. It it does, sell it immediately.

But I can see the other side of the coin as well. I understand why people will want to wait for the AD call, even though it may never materialize. You don't want to play the Gray's game, you want to be treated "right" by the market and in the end, your iPhone displays time just as well. That just means that you get more satisfaction from not being a "pawn" in the Rolex-MSRP game, than from owning the watch. I get it, to each his own. No judgement.

I figure I got around 12,000 days left on this earth. I'd rather enjoy looking at my wrist while they pass. That puts a smile on my face and I have long suppressed the memory of handing someone MSRP+ in some shady parking lot to get what I wanted.

Maybe I'm just weak. ;) ;) ;)
Not weak. Wise.

Now that whole converting approx years into days until death. I don't think I want to do that!!!!
Old 20 December 2021, 09:58 AM   #56
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Probably the worse was when I bid 5 million on that Tiffany blue nautilus. Thank god that other guy outbid me.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 10:01 AM   #57
GrantD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Probably the worse was when I bid 5 million on that Tiffany blue nautilus. Thank god that other guy outbid me.
LMFCO
GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 10:03 AM   #58
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So true. We are aligned for sure. When you mentioned taxes, college, cars and all the other stuff we pay for others a little happiness for oneself is a must.

Came from a family with nothing...little coal town in NE PA. But my dad always took us to Disney World every year and he loved Sanibel Island so he found a way. He wanted a Winnebago Brave and somehow found a way. We were like rockstars relative to people going to the NJ Shore.

I live my life the same way...can't be stupid about it but no-one says on their death bed "I'm so glad I have a big bank account". Well no-one I can relate to that is.

Oh and that is a beautiful chair...you should buy one in honor of dad!

"Tempus Fugit Memento Mori" !
I enjoyed reading both of your statements. They ring very true in my life. I second buying the chair in honor of your dad.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 10:03 AM   #59
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I thought I had less self control, but since things became bonkers, I have not overpaid for one watch yet! That being said, I also had very, very few incomings.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 10:16 AM   #60
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
I enjoyed reading both of your statements. They ring very true in my life. I second buying the chair in honor of your dad.
Thanks!

Not to be cheesy but I am happy and thankful that this "topic" has brought out so many great stories, discussions and opinions without the usually BS.

Now when is our TRF Meet Up in Vegas!???????