The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2023, 01:38 AM   #31
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Don't correct them. Just nod and move on. It's as simple as that. You'll be a much happier person.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:38 AM   #32
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Just my personal aside…many people here believe the SS Daytona to be the Holy Grail that will open doors for them and change their life.
My experience after owning four SS Daytonas over the last 23 years is almost no one will notice them. Most comments will come from watch store employees. I get more comments on my red OP41 than on any other Rolex I’ve ever owned, and they’re all about how cool it looks rather than its market value.
I don’t expect the world at large to care much or know much about my watches.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:48 AM   #33
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The only people who give a flying eff, about the details of the watch you are wearing, are right here! It’s why we all joined. We can share all the details of each new acquisition, with people who get us, and our passion for nice mechanical timepieces. It sounds like your own obsession, and it IS an obsession, is bordering on unhealthy. Who cares what strangers think?! We know it’s white gold, and are suitably impressed.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks again for your thoughts Kat, much appreciated. I agree that this is the best place to get into the weeds on the watches, though right now I'm not having the most fun being psychoanalyzed

I'm not sure I totally agree though that people outside of here do not care. Actually the experience turned into a fun conversation.

The guy told me he was after a SS sub but having a hard time getting one. I then offered to try to help him out with my AD if I can get a line on one. We exchanged numbers.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:50 AM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
I feel your pain man, as my TT Sea-Dweller gets mistaken for a plebian Sub all the dang time!

It does reveal the true enthusiasts who get it right though.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:51 AM   #35
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Yikes!!

Agree with the hat idea if your really want people to know

But still…yikes
My wife says I didn't emphasize enough how confidently the guy came up to me, like a know it all. But given how this is going and the judgments made of me, I'm not sure that piece of info would make the slightest difference!
Old 21 August 2023, 01:52 AM   #36
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Just my personal aside…many people here believe the SS Daytona to be the Holy Grail that will open doors for them and change their life.
My experience after owning four SS Daytonas over the last 23 years is almost no one will notice them. Most comments will come from watch store employees. I get more comments on my red OP41 than on any other Rolex I’ve ever owned, and they’re all about how cool it looks rather than its market value.
I don’t expect the world at large to care much or know much about my watches.
Yeah, I hear ya man. I get so excited about watches that I just felt I had to clarify things. Love the Red OP 41 btw. My favorite of the line!
Old 21 August 2023, 01:56 AM   #37
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

Up to the owner. Nothing wrong with saying it’s white gold, that’s why I like it. Stealth. Or don’t. To each their own
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:56 AM   #38
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I wouldn't correct anyone who even thought it was Invicta.

The WG 16619LB is a watch for the WIS to own and it takes a WIS to know what it is when they spot one. I'd love to have one.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:00 AM   #39
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matorama View Post
I find this post interesting. Thank you OP for sharing your thoughts.

I also have a WG Sub and actually prefer that people mistake it for a SS. I don't like to be identified as having a gold piece, and prefer the stealth that WG offers.

That said, I can understand how you might get frustrated at having your piece mis-identified.

Curious, if that is the case, why you didn't go for a YG piece? Is it simply that you prefer the aesthetic of WG?
Thanks man! Yeah, to me the Smurf is my grail. It's my favorite watch (i.e. sub) and in my favorite color. I think the flat blue on it is special. I also like the 11 series aspect, particularly the smaller (than 12 series) clasp. Also, when the lume gets going, the blue chromalight on the blue base looks cool. Like the Omega summer blue line before the omega summer blue line!

The WG (or any PM) part is less important to me. Meaning, if this was available in SS I would have gone for that probably. I've never been into YG personally. I don't feel it would look so great on me and find it a little loud for my style.
Old 21 August 2023, 02:03 AM   #40
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
I wouldn't correct anyone who even thought it was Invicta.

The WG 16619LB is a watch for the WIS to own and it takes a WIS to know what it is when they spot one. I'd love to have one.
When I started out my watch journey years ago, I was wearing the invicta that looks like a sub. Someone said nice sub to me. I then excitedly told them it's not a Rolex and that I only paid 59 dollars on Amazon. That should say everything you all need to know about me about 'trying to proclaim wealth etc.' It's the collecting aspect that excites me, that I love to talk about. Maybe then I should have had a hat and t-shirt that said "It's just an invicta"
Old 21 August 2023, 02:04 AM   #41
Eric88
"TRF" Member

My preference is to downplay my watches in general. I don't have any WG watches now (though the current WG Sub has my attention as a "one day" grail acquisition). This past spring I went on a guys' trip to California and intentionally wore my 1680, as it's my most "under the radar" Rolex. One of my newer friends did notice it and he was like "wait dude, is that a Rolex?" and I told him that it was a vintage watch, I have a thing for watches, etc. and he was like "those are really expensive, right?" and I just said I had been collecting them for long enough to have found the right deals, etc. It was mildly uncomfortable jumping right to "really expensive" as a potential judgment of where I'm spending money, though it all turned out fine.

If I was rocking a Smurf and someone noticed it, I'd be fine to just let whatever assumptions they might hold be the conversation vs. being overly worried that someone has undervalued what I'm wearing.

It also reminds me of a time years ago (I think I may have written a post about it on TRF) where someone randomly at a bar asked me about my watch in a snarky way, as if it was fake or something. The details are foggy to me, but overall, I'd just say don't worry too much about what other people think and the 1% of enthusiasts that fall into the "if you know, you know" category are part of this forum. Cheers!
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:11 AM   #42
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I found the silly post from 13 years ago, LOL, maybe it still has some relevance for how the general public perceives and comments on Rolex watches. Enjoy! It was a nice walk down memory lane.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:12 AM   #43
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
My preference is to downplay my watches in general. I don't have any WG watches now (though the current WG Sub has my attention as a "one day" grail acquisition). This past spring I went on a guys' trip to California and intentionally wore my 1680, as it's my most "under the radar" Rolex. One of my newer friends did notice it and he was like "wait dude, is that a Rolex?" and I told him that it was a vintage watch, I have a thing for watches, etc. and he was like "those are really expensive, right?" and I just said I had been collecting them for long enough to have found the right deals, etc. It was mildly uncomfortable jumping right to "really expensive" as a potential judgment of where I'm spending money, though it all turned out fine.

If I was rocking a Smurf and someone noticed it, I'd be fine to just let whatever assumptions they might hold be the conversation vs. being overly worried that someone has undervalued what I'm wearing.

It also reminds me of a time years ago (I think I may have written a post about it on TRF) where someone randomly at a bar asked me about my watch in a snarky way, as if it was fake or something. The details are foggy to me, but overall, I'd just say don't worry too much about what other people think and the 1% of enthusiasts that fall into the "if you know, you know" category are part of this forum. Cheers!
Thanks buddy, great input. So just out of curiosity, let's say that newer friend came up to you and said "hey man, great 16610, my uncle has one just like it". Would the inner collector in you feel any tinge of wanting to set the record straight? And could you imagine a scenario where that might have less to do with money and more to do with the piece/your journey itself?
Old 21 August 2023, 02:21 AM   #44
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
My wife says I didn't emphasize enough how confidently the guy came up to me, like a know it all. But given how this is going and the judgments made of me, I'm not sure that piece of info would make the slightest difference!
For those type of situations I recommend a song by Idina Menzel…Let it go
Old 21 August 2023, 02:23 AM   #45
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
For those type of situations I recommend a song by Idina Menzel…Let it go

Don't you mean the wickedly talented Adele Dazeem though??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7gzArTI0w

Ironically this describes what happened with my smurf!
Old 21 August 2023, 02:24 AM   #46
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
If ya know, ya know... that is all
this
Old 21 August 2023, 02:29 AM   #47
propofolboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 116619
I wear mine for me. Such a nice watch.
propofolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:32 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Never correct. Just leave it be. The less said about your watch with strangers or casual acquaintances, the better. Many people thinks it is nuts to spend so much on a watch and will not be favorably impressed. Such is life. You get the enjoyment and that is all that matters.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:33 AM   #49
aaradill
"TRF" Member

You know and that's more than enough. It's an awesome piece.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
aaradill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:36 AM   #50
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
When I started out my watch journey years ago, I was wearing the invicta that looks like a sub. Someone said nice sub to me. I then excitedly told them it's not a Rolex and that I only paid 59 dollars on Amazon. That should say everything you all need to know about me about 'trying to proclaim wealth etc.' It's the collecting aspect that excites me, that I love to talk about. Maybe then I should have had a hat and t-shirt that said "It's just an invicta"
Nothing wrong with Invicta’s at all.
I wore them for a little while many years ago until I wanted to step my vintage game up more.
I really enjoyed them until they became too damn massive.

I know plenty of people that love and collect less expensive brands and never worry about where to wear them.
Imagine that?

I can enjoy watch discussions with them just as much as a Patek Rolex AP discussion.
If someone said “nice Invicta” when I’m wearing a Submariner I’d just say “Thanks”…

Enjoy your Smurf as it’s a beautiful watch…
Old 21 August 2023, 02:37 AM   #51
destrodan
"TRF" Member

If someone comes up to me and says, "I really like your seiko, where'd you get it!" while I was wearing my patek perpetual, I'd respond with, "thanks! When did you first get into seikos?" I can tell fairly quickly from the ensuing conversation if that person is a WIS who loves the mechanical art of watches/things, a guy who loves status symbols, or someone who's really just looking for a specific design on a watch and who doesn't care about horology.

My obvious preference is to talk to the WIS types as I'm passionate about all types of watches from military-issued quartz watches to high-end mechanicals. But I don't ever offer any information face-to-face unless I understand the intentions of the other person and how they'd use the information I provide (especially if I'm wearing something expensive).

I'm more than happy to point a watch newbie who likes the design to Seiko 5 automatics. Who know if they're a future WIS-in-training? Buying a Seiko 5 automatic 28 years ago is how I started my WIS journey (beyond my father's watch). And as they begin their WIS journey, they likely couldn't care less about or appreciate a patek. I didn't back then, and it wouldn't bother me now if I met my younger self.
destrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:41 AM   #52
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
Nothing wrong with Invicta’s at all.
I wore them for a little while many years ago until I wanted to step my vintage game up more.
I really enjoyed them until they became too damn massive.

I know plenty of people that love and collect less expensive brands and never worry about where to wear them.
Imagine that?

I can enjoy watch discussions with them just as much as a Patek Rolex AP discussion.
If someone said “nice Invicta” when I’m wearing a Submariner I’d just say “Thanks”…
Well, I can imagine that, because that's me! You wouldn't know that from all the wrong judgments of me on this thread though. I've got a watch box full of Seiko, Timex, Squale, Zodiac, and microbrands like Foster and Zelos. And I would be equally excited to talk about any of them. And I would equally want to clarify with someone if they thought I was wearing something I'm not (assuming the opportunity for a convo was there).
Old 21 August 2023, 02:41 AM   #53
Lambo The Jambo
"TRF" Member

If you know, you know and all that. Vast majority of people never notice any of my Rolexes so I would be pleased if they can figure out it’s a Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lambo The Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:42 AM   #54
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I love talking to other watch enthusiasts but have a couple of feeler questions before I engage. The first priority is to encourage anyone that takes an interest in any wrist watch as long as I don’t feel they are sizing me up for a robbery. I don’t care the brand or what as we all had to start somewhere. I certainly don’t want to be intimidating or dismissive when brand topics come. Sometimes if another person is wearing a Rolex and I can feel them starring at my wrist, a simple subtle nod of acknowledgment will get a smile of thumbs up. I have had some great watch encounters on vacation when deploying this strategy. I even had one Rolex owner ask me to show his wife that was with him my Rolex as he really wanted it as his next but couldn’t see one at a AD. I have had this “not being able to see a particular hard to get model at a AD” be topic of engagement by other Rolex owners.
Old 21 August 2023, 02:46 AM   #55
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrodan View Post
If someone comes up to me and says, "I really like your seiko, where'd you get it!" while I was wearing my patek perpetual, I'd respond with, "thanks! When did you first get into seikos?" I can tell fairly quickly from the ensuing conversation if that person is a WIS who loves the mechanical art of watches/things, a guy who loves status symbols, or someone who's really just looking for a specific design on a watch and who doesn't care about horology.

My obvious preference is to talk to the WIS types as I'm passionate about all types of watches from military-issued quartz watches to high-end mechanicals. But I don't ever offer any information face-to-face unless I understand the intentions of the other person and how they'd use the information I provide (especially if I'm wearing something expensive).

I'm more than happy to point a watch newbie who likes the design to Seiko 5 automatics. Who know if they're a future WIS-in-training? Buying a Seiko 5 automatic 28 years ago is how I started my WIS journey (beyond my father's watch). And as they begin their WIS journey, they likely couldn't care less about or appreciate a patek. I didn't back then, and it wouldn't bother me now if I met my younger self.
Agree with everything you said, except why not correct about what you are actually wearing if you felt the chance for a convo was there? Not to point out $ but just because the watch you're wearing is the watch you're wearing, why not discuss that? A current or future WIS might appreciate the ensuing convo. I know I would.
Old 21 August 2023, 02:49 AM   #56
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhenish View Post
I am in western pa . A few years ago, I had a nice dinan stage 3 550 and some guy at a gas station with a 530 walks over and says “your car looks similar to mine but what’s the difference?” “Like 275 horsepower”. He just said wow and walked back to his car. It made me laugh .
E60 or F10?
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:50 AM   #57
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I love talking to other watch enthusiasts but have a couple of feeler questions before I engage. The first priority is to encourage anyone that takes an interest in any wrist watch as long as I don’t feel they are sizing me up for a robbery. I don’t care the brand or what as we all had to start somewhere. I certainly don’t want to be intimidating or dismissive when brand topics come. Sometimes if another person is wearing a Rolex and I can feel them starring at my wrist, a simple subtle nod of acknowledgment will get a smile of thumbs up. I have had some great watch encounters on vacation when deploying this strategy.
I think you hit the nail on the head again Mystro, and I can't tell you how much I've appreciated your feedback on this thread. The irony for me is that my normal way is to go out of my way to NOT show what I've got. I'm not on insta etc., and I've obviously opted for a stealthier model here (while knowing the YG options are there of course). So this instance for me was a departure from that. The question is why. And my theory is that the WIS in me got the the best of me. I wanted to correct the record, to discuss the piece I had on, to have a convo with the guy, etc. And I felt it was safe to do that after sizing things up. It opened the door to a great conversation, exchange of numbers, and I'll try to help him out with my AD if I can, as he seemed to be a budding WIS that is not quite there yet (still mixing up models etc.).
Old 21 August 2023, 02:51 AM   #58
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:
Why is it so hard to believe me on this?
It’s a weird, passive-aggressive, humble brag…..Get over yourself!!! You got the watch you like, enjoy it. Why do you expect everyone who owns a watch to be a ROLEX enthusiast?
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:53 AM   #59
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Agree with everything you said, except why not correct about what you are actually wearing if you felt the chance for a convo was there? Not to point out $ but just because the watch you're wearing is the watch you're wearing, why not discuss that? A current or future WIS might appreciate the ensuing convo. I know I would.

Well, it’s pretty clear from this thread, even though we share a common interest here, we are all very different.

Even if I’m wearing a SS Rolex, I don’t want any strangers knowing what I’m wearing. And if they come up to me and say, ‘hey, cool Seiko’, my first thought certainly wouldn’t be to correct them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 02:54 AM   #60
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It all depends on your environment and having your situational awareness in tune. A luxury resort at WDW is prime example when I get others to engage in a watch conversation. It’s prime watch spotting. If they have a nice watch and are on vacation we all tend to be relaxed and friendly in that environment. Out on the street in a big city is a different story.

I love to talk watches and why many times I visit watch dealers on vacation. Outside this forum, I don’t readily have the opportunity to talk about watches with other people that care about them or own them. My wife and kids just roll their eyes at this point if I get too in-depth on the subject.