The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 October 2023, 11:15 AM   #31
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Not many people have over $6,000+ in disposable funds to spend on a watch, and even if they do, they just wouldn’t. Maybe you’ve been affluent since birth or well off for a long time that you’ve lost touch, but the percentage of people able or willing to spend thousands, or even tens of thousands, is small, so there's no need to worry about your precious Rolex being commonplace.
Like anything there’s levels to it. Rolex is selling all of their 1M+ production every year.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 11:49 AM   #32
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
New 126506A models already on Moda with clear caseback etc etc

In the 130’s. Grey to Grey the 506A is the better value imo but then again I’m a massive fan and owner of a 506A. Just not the 126. Wish I were though
Old 27 October 2023, 02:04 PM   #33
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
It's gonna stay at rainbow Daytona money. Super hard to get. It won't be priced like a full PM Daytona ever. Even a meteorite Daytona is 100k still.
Old 27 October 2023, 02:11 PM   #34
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
It's gonna stay at rainbow Daytona money. Super hard to get. It won't be priced like a full PM Daytona ever. Even a meteorite Daytona is 100k still.

Neither of those are in the same league as RBOW, pricing or rarity.
Old 27 October 2023, 02:40 PM   #35
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Neither of those are in the same league as RBOW, pricing or rarity.
You are right. I take my statement back. But I think the Leman Daytona is gonna be more than the platinas and meteorite dial Daytonas.
Old 27 October 2023, 07:36 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Part of the demand is from the expectation it’s limited supply.

If I thought it would be easy to obtain I wouldn’t buy it. I’d probably rather have a John Mayer, almost bought one when those came out.
Quote:
Why would I hope for it? Because unless they just make a couple I will get an allocation at MSRP which is basically free money.
Quote:
I mean I’ll wear it and enjoy it until I sell it or die. You can’t take it with you to the grave. I probably have around 25 watches or so and they’re all getting liquidated except for 1 piece when I croak.

A “true enthusiast”. I still have the first nice watch I ever bought and not in a safe.

I just have the spend history with my AD to get allocations and if I can get special hype pieces I’m going to buy them because you can’t lose on them.
I guess when I read posts like these, it doesn’t sound like someone who is passionate about owning the reference for its history or its mechanical appeal or whatever …

That said, we all enjoy this hobby for different reasons, and it’s sounds like you’re enthusiastic about owning the watch for monetary reasons. To each their own
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 08:02 PM   #37
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’d like one but the uplifted price for an exotic dial isn’t worth it to me.

When Rolex does these LE types, they invite speculation and flip for profit.

I don’t really care but it would be better to offer that dial, rotor, and caseback to any 126 owner for $25,000 and donate $20,000 of that to charity.
(Not the Wilsdorf Foundation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 08:20 PM   #38
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’d like one but the uplifted price for an exotic dial isn’t worth it to me.

When Rolex does these LE types, they invite speculation and flip for profit.

I don’t really care but it would be better to offer that dial, rotor, and caseback to any 126 owner for $25,000 and donate $20,000 of that to charity.

Interesting concept.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 08:23 PM   #39
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
…it would be better to offer that dial, rotor, and caseback to any 126 owner for $25,000 and donate $20,000 of that to charity.
That’s a decent idea. I like it.

Little bit too much like “thinking outside the box” for Rolex though!
Old 27 October 2023, 09:10 PM   #40
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
Quote:

Interesting.

I don't like seeing charity as an alternative to buying luxury goods. Because charity is "good" and when put in opposition to something else, that makes me feel that the something-else is the opposite of "good".

I once bought a Sub. Implicit in the purchase is the question: "You can buy this Sub or donate $10,000 to charity. Which will make you feel better?" I answered with my action: buying a $10,000 Sub for myself made me feel much better than donating to charity. Does that make a "Bad" person?

If I went into a Rolex AD and there was a sign, "Buy your watch or donate its cost to charity here," I probably would feel too guilty to buy a Sub from that AD.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 11:01 PM   #41
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Quote:
Um ok?

If I can buy it for MSRP and it trades for a multiple then I can use it for free.

It’s like in the late 90s early 2000s you could buy a 50 watt Marshall JCM 800 on eBay, play it as much as you want for a few years, then get your money back when you sell it.

I had a steel Daytona many years ago and I traded it for an AP. I wore it and even scratched the crap out of the clasp and I got more in trade than I paid for it (thanks TS).

So if you have taken the hit buying watches and jewelry over the years and you’re able to get an allocation for something like this, why not buy it? I bought PM pieces when you could get BNIB from TS for 30% off.

And then… if you do buy it; why not want it to trade at a multiple?

I agree (and I believe most others agree) with pretty much everything you just said… Value retention is a valid concern when spending this kind of money on a watch, but for me it’s a discretionary expense that will only be made if I can afford to lose that cash… I think what many people take issue with is that it appears that you don’t give a shit if anyone else in the world gets this piece after you get yours, as you’ve bluntly stated twice that you hope it’s discontinued shortly thereafter… That is certainly your prerogative, but you shouldn’t be surprised when other watch enthusiasts find that mentality to be quite self-centered in a community of people who tend to always hope for nothing but the best for their fellow collectors who are yearning for that next acquisition… I may be way off base in my opinion of the subject, but I know one thing is certain: I’ll never own this watch… My finances will most likely prohibit that, and my eyesight will never be good enough to read the time on most Daytonas.(But not for the reasons that my mom warned me about)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 12:48 AM   #42
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigman08 View Post
I agree (and I believe most others agree) with pretty much everything you just said… Value retention is a valid concern when spending this kind of money on a watch, but for me it’s a discretionary expense that will only be made if I can afford to lose that cash… I think what many people take issue with is that it appears that you don’t give a shit if anyone else in the world gets this piece after you get yours, as you’ve bluntly stated twice that you hope it’s discontinued shortly thereafter… That is certainly your prerogative, but you shouldn’t be surprised when other watch enthusiasts find that mentality to be quite self-centered in a community of people who tend to always hope for nothing but the best for their fellow collectors who are yearning for that next acquisition… I may be way off base in my opinion of the subject, but I know one thing is certain: I’ll never own this watch… My finances will most likely prohibit that, and my eyesight will never be good enough to read the time on most Daytonas.(But not for the reasons that my mom warned me about)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen brother !
Old 28 October 2023, 01:25 AM   #43
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Somewhere below platinum daytona is my bet. Around... 80 to 110K with new platinum daytona around... 105-120K
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 01:48 AM   #44
logo
"TRF" Member

Question comes down to how many will be produced, which is also dependent on how long they are produced for. To my knowledge the Rolex website does not say this is a limited edition piece, and the fact it’s advertised on the website along with the platona but not the off catalog pieces suggests, to me at least, that many more of these will be made than the speculators/flippers/exclusivity admirers anticipate. So I’ll say $150k is where it settles, painfully and illogically, because watch collectors are primed to spend more than they should on a watch anyway and prices always seem to settle precisely at the point of stupidity, not higher and not lower. Like Bryan, I hope it goes at MSRP to those who legitimately like Daytonas, the history and actually care about the Le Mans race.
logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 02:16 AM   #45
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Honestly good luck selling anything for 3-4x msrp right now. I don't care what it is. With this watch it depends how many they make and how long they keep it around. If you were allocated one the best time to sell would be immediately. It will only erode.
Old 28 October 2023, 02:46 AM   #46
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Honestly good luck selling anything for 3-4x msrp right now. I don't care what it is. With this watch it depends how many they make and how long they keep it around. If you were allocated one the best time to sell would be immediately. It will only erode.

So true...

[Looks down at meteorite Daytona]
Old 28 October 2023, 03:23 AM   #47
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
It’ll be a short run and very limited allocation. And then it’ll be discontinued and its collector status will be cemented. And any of your forecast “erosion” will disappear immediately and forever
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 05:29 AM   #48
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
It’ll be a short run and very limited allocation. And then it’ll be discontinued and its collector status will be cemented. And any of your forecast “erosion” will disappear immediately and forever

Old 28 October 2023, 10:40 AM   #49
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Source of this information please?
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 04:03 AM   #50
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

I guy i follow on insta , not a celeb but a guy that likes his watches and has a heavy patek collection did a wrist shot picture this afternoon of him with a friend at a ferrari event and one was wearing the new Le Mans out in the wild
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 05:47 AM   #51
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let’s see, eh?
Old 29 October 2023, 05:57 AM   #52
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
Source of this information please?
After just 4 posts you might want to get your head around the concept of forums.

It’s where folks share their information, views and experiences for the betterment of the community.
Old 29 October 2023, 07:46 AM   #53
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I would love to own the AD route for the Le Mans ,If it happens I’ll be very happy. If it doesn’t well it may be down the grey route
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 07:53 AM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Let’s see, eh?

Yes sir. I’m not speculating on them discontinuing it but rather it being cemented as something special that merits it’s price not trending lower from the initial secondary offerings after release.
Old 29 October 2023, 01:21 PM   #55
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After just 4 posts you might want to get your head around the concept of forums.

It’s where folks share their information, views and experiences for the betterment of the community.
So you’re just guessing, not confirmed.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 02:10 PM   #56
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=Watchman001;13001020]So you’re just guessing, not confirmed.

Have you heard the Term educated guess ? . When you have been around as long as GW44 , you will know Rolex confirms nothing ,I hope this helps my friend
Old 29 October 2023, 02:12 PM   #57
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Once the dust settles, it will probably trade near the Platinum Daytona range
Old 29 October 2023, 02:28 PM   #58
Youval
"TRF" Member

In all this I haven’t seen a word about the John Mayer.
To my knowledge that’s also a heavy hitter..
Youval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 03:45 PM   #59
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

This has been for sale for months ,It started at POA , then £250

Now it’s £215 buts has been there for at least a month,Obviously too much

https://www.officialwatches.com/coll...-mans-126529ln
Old 29 October 2023, 05:52 PM   #60
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
So you’re just guessing, not confirmed.
It’s a view based on collecting Rolex (and other brands) for 36 years and having seen at close range every market dynamic in that time for the Rolex brand.

It’s an educated view based on my information and knowledge gleaned over time.