The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2024, 04:57 AM   #31
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Very cool! Great opportunity for those who have the time and interest to take advantage of this.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 05:30 AM   #32
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I can’t put a flat pack together I’ll pass 😂
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 05:41 AM   #33
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
Most people a not suited to watchmaking.

I love my Rolex and am somewhat mechanical but know that I lack the patience and dexterity to be a competent watchmaker.
Excellent point!!!

Watchmaking takes a certain skillset. Big time! Sadly, i have the passion yet not the skillset of those super small bits.

This is why my wife is pushing me to restore Grandfather clocks/etc as the bits are larger. Am debating getting a Erwin Sattler M1 with a few fun upgrades (open regulator dial, pallets, barometric, rubies, etc). Take the time to add extra decoration to the bits, etc. before i assemble it.

https://erwinsattlerclocks.com/collections/upgradekits

Watchmaking takes skill... and passion.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 06:12 AM   #34
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I forwarded the school’s link to my daughter, because my oldest grandson will graduate HS next year, and he’s not exactly college material, but has always liked putting things together. Also, he loves watches. This would be a great idea for him. BTW, they live in suburban Dallas. Erica thought it was a great idea.

Kat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Sounds like a perfect fit!

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 06:13 AM   #35
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
Most people a not suited to watchmaking.

I love my Rolex and am somewhat mechanical but know that I lack the patience and dexterity to be a competent watchmaker. Not to mention I would lack sufficient passion to do it.

After sniffing the new shipments got old, most here would not be happy

Yeah, I feel like it would be too tedious for me, personally. I feel claustrophobic just thinking about it.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 06:39 AM   #36
macplee
"TRF" Member

i heard they are ramping up heading into the opening in 2029 of their new manuf facilities. Wonder what the annual capacity growth for watches will be heading into 2029 and what the steady state annual production will be? 2 mil per year?
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 06:49 AM   #37
wanethan
Banned

Thank you for sharing this post.
wanethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 07:51 AM   #38
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It’s an interesting and generous plan.

Free tuition
Free tools
Monthly Stipend worth $22K/year.
Free T&L to Geneva for Final Exam

12 months basic & intermediate skills.
+ another 6 months focused on Rolex.

There is an essay required from applicants but I don’t know how much weight it has on acceptance.

It is focused on their perseverance, drive and experiences. They get to choose their topic from any of the 4 listed below:

1. Reflect on an experience or achievement that has had a significant impact on your life. How did this experience shape your perspective, values, or future goals?

2. Describe a time when you encountered a challenge or faced adversity. How did you handle the situation and what did you learn from it? How has this experience influenced your personal growth and resilience?

3. Describe a skill or talent you have that distinguishes you from other applicants. How did that particular skill or talent develop over time? What benefits and/ or challenges have you experienced as a result of having that skill or talent?

4. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 01:09 PM   #39
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
It's super cool for the right person. I imagine most candidates self select. I would lose my mind sitting at a bench all day and I'm sure my vision would follow soon. But I really admire people who can do it because it's an insanely cool skill. Love watching the videos of people doing the work.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 02:05 PM   #40
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

Very cool program!
Tach24LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 02:05 PM   #41
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Might have kept me out of law school.

If I thought I could handle 18 months of Dallas heat (grew up in Arlington) I might have applied to see if they take 56 year olds.
Old 24 February 2024, 01:01 AM   #42
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
50% reduction on PM Skydweller
Old 24 February 2024, 01:21 AM   #43
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Sixty years too late for me.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:26 AM   #44
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It’s an interesting and generous plan.

Free tuition
Free tools
Monthly Stipend worth $22K/year.
Free T&L to Geneva for Final Exam

12 months basic & intermediate skills.
+ another 6 months focused on Rolex.

There is an essay required from applicants but I don’t know how much weight it has on acceptance.

It is focused on their perseverance, drive and experiences. They get to choose their topic from any of the 4 listed below:

1. Reflect on an experience or achievement that has had a significant impact on your life. How did this experience shape your perspective, values, or future goals?

2. Describe a time when you encountered a challenge or faced adversity. How did you handle the situation and what did you learn from it? How has this experience influenced your personal growth and resilience?

3. Describe a skill or talent you have that distinguishes you from other applicants. How did that particular skill or talent develop over time? What benefits and/ or challenges have you experienced as a result of having that skill or talent?

4. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Superb modern approach and excellent alternative to becoming a watchmaking apprentice.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 10:23 AM   #45
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Great strategy by Rolex; improves availability and supply of future watchmaking talent, while providing a solid career path for those so inclined.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 10:41 AM   #46
Bearjer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41
This is very interesting! Thank you for posting!
Bearjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 12:36 PM   #47
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

as a rolex employee, lets say you work at a rsc, i am assuming they receive a discount on watches, but would they be limited to just datejust and subs or any model of their choosing?
hl0m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:02 PM   #48
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
as a rolex employee, lets say you work at a rsc, i am assuming they receive a discount on watches, but would they be limited to just datejust and subs or any model of their choosing?
I don't know if they get a discount or not, but employees of Rolex are presented a watch on their 10 year work anniversary. If I remember right, it's a current Rolex of their choosing under a certain dollar amount.

As an AD employee, we have the opportunity to buy 2 watches (in a lifetime) for either cost or under cost.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:12 PM   #49
Ramathorn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
I don't know if they get a discount or not, but employees of Rolex are presented a watch on their 10 year work anniversary. If I remember right, it's a current Rolex of their choosing under a certain dollar amount.

As an AD employee, we have the opportunity to buy 2 watches (in a lifetime) for either cost or under cost.
It’s 20 years now. They changed it last year.
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:34 PM   #50
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post

thats nice to hear, and its any 2 watches of your choosing including popular models like a daytona and skydwellar? wonder if you can hop to different ads and recycle the benefit .

as rolex is paying a stipend of $1,800/month ($32,400 for term) im guessing they must have an exit clause or contract upon completing the program. no way they would invest with no guarantees the graduate will stay with rolex.
hl0m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 03:07 PM   #51
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
When I was fourteen I inquired about an apprenticeship with a woodworker in Bodega Bay that I saw in National Geographic. It never came to anything because I was so young. I would jump on that Rolex apprenticeship if I was twenty or thirty but at sixty I’m no longer a good investment for Rolex. I’m not too old to dream, though.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 03:47 PM   #52
Mountains868
"TRF" Member

This would have been an amazing news for a teenage me, I will surely share it from my end and hope it falls in the hands of the right people. Very informative post, thanks for sharing.
Mountains868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 06:09 PM   #53
Daveh777
"TRF" Member

Great initiative. As an acknowledged technocrat (science and engineering) I strongly believe we need more people in technical trades generally. Too many younger people opting for careers in alternate areas and there will be consequences…
Daveh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 11:30 PM   #54
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
thats nice to hear, and its any 2 watches of your choosing including popular models like a daytona and skydwellar? wonder if you can hop to different ads and recycle the benefit
I don't know the specifics, but I remember hearing that some models were not an option for the time being so that the general public could buy them. Several employees at the store I work at do have Daytonas. I believe they got them through that opportunity, but I can't rule out the owner just allowing his employees to buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
It’s 20 years now. They changed it last year.
Oof, that's disappointing to hear. I've seen a couple of those presentations and they were always enjoyable. Although I guess that means fewer people are being gifted a 32xx, so silver linings and all that.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 05:17 AM   #55
egamos
Banned

This is nice! thanks for sharing.
egamos is offline   Reply With Quote