The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 October 2009, 12:53 PM   #31
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
To my understanding the engine block is the same. The difference lies in the turbos, with the 330d having a single turbo, while the 335d has a sequential twin turbo. The end result is that the 335d is a bit more powerful and should experience less turbo lag.

I actually read the Car and Driver article too fast - it was comparing the 330d engine to the 335d engine, but in my haste I thought they were saying the US 335d had the lower-power engine. That isn't the case, but somehow the low performance figures seemed to fit that scenario, so it didn't seem wrong.

So... I'm confused then by all this hyperbole about the 535d (and by extension the 335d) -trouncing- the 535i and 335i. I still say it's the torque tricking you into thinking the diesel car is faster than it is.

If these heavier cars really are faster, we should see the 335d fare much better than it does against the 335i (which trounces the 335d). I know the gearing is awful in the d, but it's heavier too. I'm not so sure given the same gearing that the diesel could beat the petrol car. Besides, in the US - the only cars we have to go head-to-head are the 335i and 335d (which only comes with the auto transmission and with one gearing option):

-----Car and Driver tests-----
335d - 0-60 in 5.7, 1/4 mile in 14.2 sec, top speed 128 (automatic only)
335i - 0-60 in 4.9, 1/4 mile in 13.4 sec, top speed 145 (automatic)
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 12:55 PM   #32
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by asindhidude View Post
I honesty think a stripped down, 328i is the purest driver's car of the bunch.
Naw, give me a 128i any day. Same wheelbase as an E36 3 series.

I think we probably agree that a purist's BMW should have three things:

-an inline 6
-a manual transmission
-rear wheel drive

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 01:00 PM   #33
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

-an inline 6
-a manual transmission
-rear wheel drive

With the turbos in the x5m and x6m and most likely the next m5 as well as moving away from the manual transmission...there's not much left to be pure.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 01:08 PM   #34
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
The 5 series does give you a bit more room than the 3.
I have the 135i, same engine as the 335 or 535.
Yeah 300hp was fun & plenty of power. I said "was fun" as I went back to BMW, had them do the Dinan Stage 2 on it. Took one hour, remapped the ECU, and I still have a full warranty.
I now have 384hp with 421 ft/torque.
To say it is fast is an understatement. This thing flies.
It is much more responsive, and if you drive it reasonably, there is no change in the gas mileage. However, it is much much much more fun to have a little fun with the extra horse power.
Still mileage is respectable.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 04:07 AM   #35
RolexCat

Watch: SD
I belive you can still get the 330 in Germany, but not here. The new BMW Z4 i belive is rated like 255hp. Too bad that motor was not in the line up for the 328, maybe next year? Ron
RolexCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 04:13 AM   #36
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
I actually read the Car and Driver article too fast - it was comparing the 330d engine to the 335d engine, but in my haste I thought they were saying the US 335d had the lower-power engine. That isn't the case, but somehow the low performance figures seemed to fit that scenario, so it didn't seem wrong.

So... I'm confused then by all this hyperbole about the 535d (and by extension the 335d) -trouncing- the 535i and 335i. I still say it's the torque tricking you into thinking the diesel car is faster than it is.

If these heavier cars really are faster, we should see the 335d fare much better than it does against the 335i (which trounces the 335d). I know the gearing is awful in the d, but it's heavier too. I'm not so sure given the same gearing that the diesel could beat the petrol car. Besides, in the US - the only cars we have to go head-to-head are the 335i and 335d (which only comes with the auto transmission and with one gearing option):

-----Car and Driver tests-----
335d - 0-60 in 5.7, 1/4 mile in 14.2 sec, top speed 128 (automatic only)
335i - 0-60 in 4.9, 1/4 mile in 13.4 sec, top speed 145 (automatic)
You are correct. The "d" does not in fact do any trouncing at all unless it is remapped. But then you can remap a 335, or a 535 and it will be doing the trouncing. It is all that torque that makes the car feel faster than the numbers.

Quote:

-an inline 6
-a manual transmission
-rear wheel drive

I agree with this too. I would never drive an all wheel drive car. Give me dedicated snows any day with rear wheel drive and I'm good. But I do like those twin turbos.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 04:23 AM   #37
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Modern AWD cars are great for those of us in snowy climes, or for those who have to deal with chains when they go to the mountains. My 300C still feels mostly RWD, even though it's AWD.

Ed, have you thought of a slightly used previous generation 540i, or the pre-turbo 530i current generation? My dad has a 1997 540 and it's still a great car!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 10:04 AM   #38
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
You guys know what BMW stands for dont you???

Buys
More
Women

Broke
My
Wallet

Break
My
Window
Old 2 October 2009, 10:58 AM   #39
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
I suggest base 5 series with premium package, if you get 535 or 550, and load it with options, it will get very expensive.
I was in similar situation, traded in a sports car for a luxury sedan, after having a kid.
The 3 series is fast, but very small rear seat.
I love the I-Drive, you can tailor all the functions of the car to your liking.
Good luck!
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 10:59 AM   #40
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
You guys know what BMW stands for dont you???

Buys
More
Women

Broke
My
Wallet

Break
My
Window
It's definitely the middle one for me.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 11:49 AM   #41
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Last one for me. Tuesday some shyt head broke my window, damaged my door, scratched my interior trim, cut the leather seat.....
All to get
Less than $2 in change
An old ipod
A GPS, cheapy worth about $130 new
All three were in my glove box out of sight, but now my car is in the shop for at least a week while all the parts come in.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 12:15 PM   #42
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Last one for me. Tuesday some shyt head broke my window, damaged my door, scratched my interior trim, cut the leather seat.....
All to get
Less than $2 in change
An old ipod
A GPS, cheapy worth about $130 new
All three were in my glove box out of sight, but now my car is in the shop for at least a week while all the parts come in.
I hope the bastard that did this to you rots in Hell.
Old 2 October 2009, 01:48 PM   #43
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

My wife has the 335 Twin Turbo - very nice vehicle - fast and fun. I think with the two kids - I would go with 5 series for more room.
Old 4 October 2009, 10:25 PM   #44
R.mojo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx Sub & HublotBB
My personal vehicle is a Bmw 535D autmatic.
I am more then happy with this car, i drive long distance every year and its both comfortable and roomy.

one minus though :/ the breakpads is expensive, before the Bmw i had a Audi A6 Allroad and it wasnt even close.
R.mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 10:43 PM   #45
chillviper
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
I've owned nearly every member of the BMW family (except X6 and 6 Series). I'm not sure if you are looking new or CPO. I would recommend a new 5er or a CPO 7er. Your kids will have a near infinite space in the back and will be just far enough away to lower the noise level ;-)
chillviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 12:55 AM   #46
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillviper View Post
I've owned nearly every member of the BMW family (except X6 and 6 Series). I'm not sure if you are looking new or CPO. I would recommend a new 5er or a CPO 7er. Your kids will have a near infinite space in the back and will be just far enough away to lower the noise level ;-)
Right now it's either a CPO 5er, a new 328i, or a new Audi A4. I drove the A4 a few days ago, and with the expanded dimensions it is close to the 5er in space. I KNOW I can get 2 kids with boosters and one without booster in the back of a 5er and an A4. I can't get them into the 3, but driving a 3 with sport, etc makes me want to compromise. With the CPO 5er I will actually get 6yr/100K warranty and a couple more years of maintenance. If I get a 328i it must be manual. The kids have trouble buckling themselves in around their boosters in the 3, but they can do it in the A4 and the 5er.

The Audi has such a nice interior. It a manual, gets 30MPG and it's as fast as a 5er. There is pretty much no downside.

I didn't really look at the 7, but the dealer had 2 CPO 2006 7's for the same price as their 2007 5ers.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 08:15 AM   #47
RolexCat

Watch: SD
Also look for new 528s now, there are alot of good lease deals or buy rates. I have seen 5-8k off a new 528. There are alot of dealers who have 2009s on the lot with 2010s. Mine had a new 528 for 43k. Ron
RolexCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 09:57 AM   #48
asindhidude

Watch: SS Sub ND - 14060M
The new A4 is a superb car. Just make sure that stay away from the CVT. Those are PLAGUED with reliability issues.
asindhidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2009, 02:32 AM   #49
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
A4!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2009, 03:44 AM   #50
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.mojo View Post
I am more then happy with this car, i drive long distance every year and its both comfortable and roomy.

one minus though :/ the breakpads is expensive, before the Bmw i had a Audi A6 Allroad and it wasnt even close.
535D ..... fantastic engine !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2009, 04:02 AM   #51
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
...With the CPO 5er I will actually get 6yr/100K warranty and a couple more years of maintenance. ...
Ed, I did exactly that. If you do this to and plan on keeping the car, get the extended maintenance package as well. I think it was $2000 and well worth it. Your first brake job will be $1500 so it almost pays for itself there. Plus you never have to worry about unexpected bills. If anything is wrong, it'll just cost you $50!

The car is so great, tells you when it needs to go to the shop. They are super quick and professional. Everything is tied to your key, so any AD will do for BMW. Great service all around. They make it really hard for you to ever want to own a different car!

member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2009, 05:34 AM   #52
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.mojo View Post

great car got mine after i lost my 530d following an unfortunate incident involving two burst water pipes and heavy rain!seemed the logical choice.535d rocks
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 12:49 PM   #53
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Good call. I sold my Toyota on Thursday and today picked up a CPO 2007 530i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Ed, I did exactly that. If you do this to and plan on keeping the car, get the extended maintenance package as well. I think it was $2000 and well worth it. Your first brake job will be $1500 so it almost pays for itself there. Plus you never have to worry about unexpected bills. If anything is wrong, it'll just cost you $50!

The car is so great, tells you when it needs to go to the shop. They are super quick and professional. Everything is tied to your key, so any AD will do for BMW. Great service all around. They make it really hard for you to ever want to own a different car!

Old 25 October 2009, 01:39 PM   #54
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Congrats!
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 01:40 PM   #55
Brunotheboxer
Banned

I dont think the BMW maintenance plan covers brakes unless a manufacturers defect is present. You got 6 years and 100k coverage but it started in 2007 right?
Old 25 October 2009, 11:42 PM   #56
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I dont think the BMW maintenance plan covers brakes unless a manufacturers defect is present. You got 6 years and 100k coverage but it started in 2007 right?
You have the 4yr/50K mile maintenance plan, which covers brakes, then the 4yr/50K mile warranty, which covers "stuff that breaks" like any other car. When they CPO, they extend that one to 6yr/100K mile, starting the day the car was originally purchased, back in 2007. You can also buy additional time on the maintenance plan, which I declined. Sounds like MFer got that plan.

CPO was an easy choice for me. For the same price as a new, loaded Honda Accord EX V6, I got a CPO BMW with low miles. I would drive each for about 4-5 years, so the BMW will likely have higher resale. Financing is .9%, and they make the first two payments, which essentially negates the interest I would pay over the life of the loan, and then some.