The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2014, 02:26 AM   #61
jlc123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Overseas
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. I was shocked by the size and found it somehow uninspiring.
jlc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 02:57 AM   #62
watchstudent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and a Speedy
This happened to me when I tried on the SubC vs the Seamaster Pro 300m Ceramic. SubC just isn't for me.

Another is the Omega Aqua Terra, looks great in pics and i think i love the teak dial and all the white gold markers but then in person i think the dial looks cluttered and untidy, much prefer the datejust or oyster perpetual in that genre.
watchstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 02:57 AM   #63
aaamax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagada2009 View Post
The same could be said about online dating...>!!

She said she was model....I didn't realize she was a model of a large watery mammal...

....hmmm...I feel guilty writing that yet...can't get myself to remove it....
I lost part of my drink out the nose with this! Lol.
aaamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 03:01 AM   #64
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Saw pictures of a red gold Daytona and bracelet with a chocolate dial. Wow!
Saw it at the AD in the showcase. OMG!
Tried it on and realized how pink my skin tone is, and decided it kinda washed out on my arm.
Bought a Nautilus instead. Traded that for a white gold Calatrava. I wonder what's next...Platona?!??
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 03:17 AM   #65
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Yes, this has happened quite a few times. Both ways. Some watches I thought were beautiful in pics disappointed in person, and the opposite has happened as well.

Always pays to check out the watch model you are buying in person first, IMHO.

A great place to do that is the Rolex flagship store on 5th Avenue in NYC, if you have the chance. As wide a selection as you will find in the US. Of course, AD's also work, but I haven't found any with as wide a selection on hand as the NY store for a chance to compare models in person.

I try to visit annually to refresh my memory in comparison of models, whether I am planning on buying or not.
Old 23 July 2014, 03:35 AM   #66
bardm
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Yes. Had looked at the photos here of the GMT IIc YG, and loved it. Tried it on the wrist at my AD and it was so, - well -, damn yellow!

Maybe it was the lightning at the AD.

Tried a DD II YG and did't like that either. RG DD was very nice though. Must be either my skin tone or the lightning.

They both look so amazing on the photos here
Old 23 July 2014, 03:39 AM   #67
FTX I
"TRF" Member

The last was the hulk. My AD had one used (mint) last week going for 6.5k with complete set. The previous owner had small wrists like me so I was able to walk around with it, far from the "ad light" and was not ok with so much green going on. But in pics it's a killer watch that I always had my eyes on.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:33 AM   #68
bighaole
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II + Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
I'll take flak for this...but, the Hulk looked so amazing in the prerelease photos and when I saw it, it was just OK to me.
+1. I was interested in the hulk from pictures, but in person, at an AD, it was just too much, for me.
bighaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:49 AM   #69
jcd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me vector
For me, It was pretty much any Panerai. When I tried on a PAM88, which I'd been drooling over in pics for ages, it just looked too huge on my wrist. Oh well, I'll stick to admiring them from afar.
jcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:52 AM   #70
Byrnedogs
"TRF" Member

Interesting that a lot of people prefer the BLNR in pics. Im personally not a huge fan of the pics but was blown away when I saw it in person and had a walk around with it on my wrist!
Byrnedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:53 AM   #71
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

gotta be the BLNR for. i couldnt wait to purchase one until i tried it on. The blue was dull to me. its a shame you have to but under good lighting for the blue to really pop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:55 AM   #72
bp1000
"TRF" Member

DJ fluted bezel, silver dials and batons

Absolutely adore this watch in the photos, super jubilee is stunning and the baton dial looks beautifully simple.

On my wrist, at the time in a t-shirt and jeans under shop lights it looks very sparkly, small and not as nice as I thought it would.

That aside I bought it because my heart says I love it, looks great dressed up and to me a classic rolex.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:56 AM   #73
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnedogs View Post
Interesting that a lot of people prefer the BLNR in pics. Im personally not a huge fan of the pics but was blown away when I saw it in person and had a walk around with it on my wrist!
I liked it in photos, but really like how dynamic it is in person. Most YG gold look a bit too much for me in person. Maybe a DD will be in my future but to much $$$$
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 05:20 AM   #74
usmc93
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/Black Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
What happened to me was I was amazed by the BLNR in many of the beautiful pics here on the forum...I went to AD and was ready to try on the BATMAN! When handed, I actually thought I was looking at the wrong watch...
Agreed, had the same thing happen to me with the BLNR. Had the opposite happen to me with the Explorer II, I liked the Polar one better in pics, until I saw the Black one side by side at the AD, to me it was not competition, Black blew it out of the water.

--Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 116710LN BLNR, Bremont MBII, Rolex 216570, Omega Speedmaster 3572.50, Zenith Class Elite 680, 1993 Tag Heuer 2000 Chrono--
usmc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 06:20 AM   #75
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I have had the Sky-dweller do the opposite. Pictures were just OK, but then I tried one on.....Stunning
Old 23 July 2014, 07:02 AM   #76
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Have to admit I was a little less thrilled with the GMTIIC LN and BLNR in person than I expected. Both are beautiful watches, I would be OK with owning either, both sang to me but just not loudly. I had the completely opposite experience, however when I first saw the EXPII 216570 in person. Once again, all a matter of personal preference and taste.

I agree, I could never get over the shiny unpractical PCL and the flashy bezel of theGMT. My next watch will be a white explorer with brushed links. I have an lvc and a black SS Daytona

Nidal
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 07:09 AM   #77
StaceeJaxx
Banned

116718 Green
StaceeJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 07:13 AM   #78
sportsmaven20

Watch: Rolex
SD4000...I really liked the tapered lugs, however the bezel was just too busy and the end links protruding above the lugs was very unappealing to me.
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 08:12 AM   #79
Charles1977

Watch: Daytona 116300
I really thought I would like the 216570 cause I loved the pics then when I went to the ad and saw them I was immediately turned off.Just not for me.
Charles1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 09:00 AM   #80
KINGROLESAR
"TRF" Member

Watch: CROWN MARKED
Very common. We all stare at these perfect pictures every detail is blown up and artfully shot. A good reverse example is the Milgauss and its Lightning Bolt Hand that so many are concerned about. When on the wrist a minor feature if you love the glass IMO you make a big mistake by passing it up exclusively due to that hand.
Old 23 July 2014, 09:01 AM   #81
luvsub
2024 Pledge Member

I may have to say LVC. Even though I love subs.
luvsub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 02:50 PM   #82
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGROLESAR View Post
Very common. We all stare at these perfect pictures every detail is blown up and artfully shot. A good reverse example is the Milgauss and its Lightning Bolt Hand that so many are concerned about. When on the wrist a minor feature if you love the glass IMO you make a big mistake by passing it up exclusively due to that hand.
That's a great point. I think it's the same with the writing on the ring lock on the DSSD. In photos it's very prominent and turns people off, but on the wrist you don't even notice it.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 03:31 PM   #83
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

I was underwhelmed as I tried on 116613LB at the local AD. I thought it would be fantastic but the blue became too much for me. May be, if I had it on for a week I would have liked it, never would know that.
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:31 PM   #84
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEIKO SLA033
For me, definitely the BLNR. I really wanted to love it but wasn't feeling it. Maybe its one of those watches that 'needs' to be seen in natural light but to me the blue was too 'purplish-blue' than I expected.

leicashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:38 PM   #85
Stan_sg
"TRF" Member

Yes the 116613LB "smurf" dial...it fell flat for me.
Stan_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:54 PM   #86
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceeJaxx View Post
116718 Green
Same here. It´s one of the most beautiful watches around - at least on pictures. When I tried it on at the AD I was very disappointed.

When I see all the votes for the green dial on the other thread I wonder how many actually tried it on themselves?
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 05:19 PM   #87
style88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnedogs View Post
I was underwhelmed as well the first time I saw the BLNR in person. But it was the first watch that make me consider Rolex, so I thought what the heck, just buy it.

The more I wear it then, the more I start liking it. After 4 months, it's hard not to pick up this watch as my daily wear. It goes very well with business clothes, it's pretty bling, and I haven't seen anyone else wearing this watch. And it's often a conversational piece with friends, bosses and ADs.

Opposite for me is the YM Blue. It didn't do very much for me on pics, but when I saw it at the AD, I was blown away. It's simply gorgeous.
style88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 05:38 PM   #88
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
The 116515 was a huge disappointment for me in the flesh. Kept wanting to get it for months and then when I decided to pull the trigger, it just didn't click for me when on the wrist. I bought a Patek instead :p

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 05:46 PM   #89
bighaole
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II + Daytona
I have to add the Daytona to this list, even though I own one and love it. But, the fact remains, by the time I could afford to buy one, my eyes got so old I couldn't easily read the sub dials!
bighaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 05:46 PM   #90
drfaulkner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expl II, TT DJII
after researching on the internet, I was fully ready to pull the trigger on a JLC master Ultra Thin....until I saw it in person.
drfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote