The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2022, 01:45 PM   #61
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
this is the most bizarre thing i've read in a while. not wearing a watch you like because your wife says you shouldn't. what??? lol
Yes. After reading this thread, there are about 4 to 5 posts that nail my feelings on this. There has to be a way to explain to your significant other why the gift needs to be appreciated more often.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:32 PM   #62
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchcorn View Post
Thanks. I jokingly showed the '4. Get a divorce' post to my fiancee. She found that one funny and the others rude (I agree with her tbh).

I don't need to go into any detail but she hasn't specified any rules, she is just worried about it getting scratched more than I am. I am very much a believer in making good use out of things, where as she personally prefers to only rarely use her nice handbags.
Your watch is gorgeous, and is the watch that made me fall in love with Rolex! Two different friends had one.

I can understand your position a bit. My husband has a TT black Sub and it seems that the gold gets scratched every time he wears it. Normally it wouldn’t be an issue, but he got the gift from his late father, so it has sentimental value. He also thought the gold made it too dressy for everyday wear. That being said, he loved wearing the Sub, and decided to get a used SS GMT (16710) for his daily watch. He even wore it washing our rescue mutt at the local dog wash!

I worked from home today and wore my DateJust. Because I enjoy watches, it made the day a little nicer. There was literally no one else home; I wore it for myself and not for others (so much for the “people wear Rolex just to show off” argument).

Our cars, which cost far, far more than any of our watches, have the potential to get scratched, dinged or worse every time we drive them. None of that diminishes the enjoyment of driving them.

To answer your question, I constantly rotate amongst 3 watches, so this is a common issue for me. I hadn’t worn my DateJust in a day or so, so knowing I’d wear it today, I wound it last night in order to avoid dealing with it this morning. I don’t find winding my watches on an as-needed basis to be a hassle, especially with the quickset date feature. Wearing a watch with an automatic movement, even though a quartz watch will most certainly do, is a choice I happily make, so I don’t look at winding my watches as a chore.

If you aren’t going to wear your Sub more often, and you find that winding it is a hassle, then I concur with the others here that you may be a good candidate for a watch winder.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:34 PM   #63
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclr View Post
Yes. After reading this thread, there are about 4 to 5 posts that nail my feelings on this. There has to be a way to explain to your significant other why the gift needs to be appreciated more often.
“Every time I look at the watch I think of you and your love for me.”

Seriously, that’s what I think about my husband when I look at my wedding ring. He also gave me my Yachtmaster for our 10th anniversary; I wore it daily for 20 years, and thought the same. Love and gratitude!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:57 PM   #64
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
My Bluesy gets worn about once per week. The watch has sentimental value and I love wearing it, but my partner prefers I save it for special occasions. She bought it and I agree there is no need to unnecessarily wear it while WFH or doing work around the house.

It seems like my options are:

1. Buy a watch winder

2. Manually wind each day

3. Set date and time once per week (every time I wear it)

I am leaning towards manually winding, because that gives me a chance to look at it more haha. But is there anything else I should consider that would make me choose another option?

I enjoy adjusting time, date and having to wind my watch before putting it on, that routine is the charm of a mechanical Watches that distinguish them from quartz and smart ones.
I would never use a winder unless for a one watch collection with simple date complication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2022, 04:13 PM   #65
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

I bought an orbital winder from IFL, love it. I'd still wear that gorgeous watch frequently. I have 3 and wear em all.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 04:40 PM   #66
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
One of the moderators posed the question a while back. Would you prefer to buy an old stock new unworn or the same watch which has been on a winder for the past five years?
The one that has been sitting on a winder.

A JLC watchmaker told me that once every 2 weeks he takes out his 50+ pieces watch collection and give all his watches a wind to let the lubrication run through the gears on a regular basis.

Makes sense to me.
VonSomething is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:03 PM   #67
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
this is the most bizarre thing i've read in a while. not wearing a watch you like because your wife says you shouldn't. what??? lol
It's all about a bit of give and take and understanding each other with a healthy dose of respect for the other.
Besides, there's no harm in the OP slowly boiling the frog by incrementally wearing it in increasing amounts. Then if the question is asked, applying some judicious amount of plausible deniability around keeping count of the hours on the wrist because he just loves it to bits.
Sort of along the lines of getting lost in some sort of euphoria whenever he wears it
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:06 PM   #68
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
The one that has been sitting on a winder.

A JLC watchmaker told me that once every 2 weeks he takes out his 50+ pieces watch collection and give all his watches a wind to let the lubrication run through the gears on a regular basis.

Makes sense to me.
Actually Grand Seiko have a recommendation that one ought to consider giving the watch a full wind up every so often and letting it run until it stops if one is only wearing occassionally.
The OP is well placed with giving it a run every week in that regard
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:07 PM   #69
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I wouldn’t manually wind it every day. You can wear out the screw down crown threads. Either use a watch winder or set it every time you wear it.
Not true what about the thousands of manual wind watches with screw down crowns Rolex included.Now they got wound up daily for decades without any problems.And crowns and crown tubes are just disposable normal routine service items,and are often replaced as part of RSC service, crown tubes are always replaced.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:08 PM   #70
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I switch my auto watches quite often.

I have never given one more than half a dozen turns of the crown to start it up then hack it and set it.

Takes no time at all.

As for wearing out the crown thread on a Rolex?

I’m not sure if that can be done.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:31 PM   #71
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
It's all about a bit of give and take and understanding each other with a healthy dose of respect for the other.
Besides, there's no harm in the OP slowly boiling the frog by incrementally wearing it in increasing amounts. Then if the question is asked, applying some judicious amount of plausible deniability around keeping count of the hours on the wrist because he just loves it to bits.
Sort of along the lines of getting lost in some sort of euphoria whenever he wears it
Its good to see that some people get it

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 08:38 PM   #72
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I love the whole ritual of winding, setting the date when I wear in rotation, gives me chance to check it over and wash it if necessary. It's no big deal, takes a couple of minutes max.
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:05 PM   #73
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I wear my Rolex once per week, how should I keep it ticking?

I only wear my Submariner a couple days a week. Not because I’m working from home (which I am), but because I wear other watches too. I usually wind it to keep it running, but sometimes I let it run down. I might get a winder. Not really sure. I haven’t fully made up my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:45 PM   #74
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
Wow… Three pages and counting for a thread about how to keep your watch wound… This is hilarious!
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:54 PM   #75
johncomer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
Wow… Three pages and counting for a thread about how to keep your watch wound… This is hilarious!
True, and informative too!
johncomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:11 PM   #76
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
well that round thing on one side of the watch case is called the winding crown. Just manually wind it when and set you are going to wear it takes less than 30 seconds, and you do not want one of those machine thing so called watch winders.
this!!!!!!!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 12:35 AM   #77
Jimmybob
"TRF" Member

Personally I’d just wind it when I need it, technically you don’t even need to set the accurate time and date
Jimmybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 07:00 AM   #78
MaxPeck
"TRF" Member

OR, just wear it! I don’t think you’ll be on your deathbed saying to yourself “I wish I saved it for only those special occasions!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MaxPeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 07:08 AM   #79
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My Bluesy gets worn about once per week. ... love wearing it, but my partner prefers I save it for special occasions. She ...
Keep the watch
Dump the partner
Seriously

This "conundrum" is just plain stupidity.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 07:17 AM   #80
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
there's a thin line with give and take and controlling. telling someone not to wear a watch for enjoyment when WFH is something a parent would do. i get it if she didn't want him wearing it out due to fears of being a target but what OP explained is just bizarre. relationships like that don't last because the line will slowly move in one person's favor until the other has enough. i mean your point even leads to giving some kind of excuse to wear a watch to a wife lol. what comes next?
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 07:38 AM   #81
Julieann2424
"TRF" Member

Relatedly, Oysterdate, Precision c. 1963

My (dad's) watch seems to need winding constantly. Is this okay for such an old watch? If winding every day, how many turns? I'm afraid to kink the spring.
THANK YOU.
Julieann2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 07:43 AM   #82
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Just wear the watch man.

Meant to be worn and enjoyed.
Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 07:57 AM   #83
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
She bought it and I agree there is no need to unnecessarily wear it while WFH or doing work around the house.
Sounds like the gf doesn’t have the money for a service. Watch is bought to enjoy ffs…
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote