The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2021, 07:26 PM   #61
norcalctr
"TRF" Member

I can't afford the Daytona at grey prices so the Speedmaster is my best alternative
norcalctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:15 PM   #62
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBoy View Post
The difference is an appreciating asset versus a depreciating asset.
You’re buying a watch not an asset, if you just buy Rolex because they are worth more tomorrow than today then I have news for you, my Speedy is worth more today than it was yesterday.

No one can buy the overhyped Daytona from an AD so people who don’t want to pay the over inflated prices buying from a grey dealer are buying other watches, the Speedmaster, Zenith El Primaro’s are just some of the watches getting more attention.

This Rolex or nothing approach to buying watches is bonkers buy hey ho, if you’re waiting in the ever increasing Rolex queue then that’s fine you’re leaving opportunities for myself and others to buy brilliant watches from other brands that will last a lifetime or more.

So thank you very much, your continued support for Rolex and nothing else is greatly appreciated by those of us who can see beyond the hype.

Have a great 2022.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:32 PM   #63
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
You’re buying a watch not an asset, if you just buy Rolex because they are worth more tomorrow than today then I have news for you, my Speedy is worth more today than it was yesterday.

No one can buy the overhyped Daytona from an AD so people who don’t want to pay the over inflated prices buying from a grey dealer are buying other watches, the Speedmaster, Zenith El Primaro’s are just some of the watches getting more attention.

This Rolex or nothing approach to buying watches is bonkers buy hey ho, if you’re waiting in the ever increasing Rolex queue then that’s fine you’re leaving opportunities for myself and others to buy brilliant watches from other brands that will last a lifetime or more.

So thank you very much, your continued support for Rolex and nothing else is greatly appreciated by those of us who can see beyond the hype.

Have a great 2022.

Well said!
Old 26 December 2021, 08:39 PM   #64
11b1p
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yacht-Master
Speedmaster, but I am comparing to the modern Daytona. I absolutely love retro style and the older Daytona’s are always amazing to me.
11b1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:16 PM   #65
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Although the Daytona has a movement that I would rate in the top 5 ever produced to date. And today it must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches but the hype surrounding the Daytona as today many buy the hype just to wear it. As for the Omega yes it too has a fine movement but less hype but only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321,there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12 and the only true moon watch.

And its documented that Jack Swigert's wore a Rolex GMT-Master in the main lunar orbit ship, plus there was some kind of Bulova watch/clock somewhere in the spacecraft, but the claim that a Bulova time piece was on the Moon IMHO is little more than pure marketing by them. What I have read Aldrin's speedmaster was the first on the lunar surface, so its logical that he could have worn the same watch he had issued for the Gemini X11, IMO possibly a 1966 speedy when they first put professional on dial REF ST105012, perhaps the later 1968 ST 145.012 model was left in the ship as a back up timer for computer. But one of the most important things on board the Apollo lunar mission were the mechanical watches no matter what the brand.

Speedmaster's relationship with outer space,began when they went to Corrigans shop a Texas dealer in 1961.And the NASA buyer bought 5 different brands of chronographs and some failed the NASA test, the Omega Speedmaster was passed mainly IMHO because it was manual wind. NASA tested a number of other Speedmasters in the 1960s prior to Gemini Apollo flight. All these watches were before they changed to the Cal 861 movement, NASA bought another large quantity of Speedmasters in the later 60s,and in 1966 Omega added the word Professional to the speedy. It has been said that Neil Armstrong,had a problem with his watch,and did not wear one on the moons surface. I believe Aldrin's watch was lost or most probably stolen in transit somewhere after the mission.But lets remember this fact today, your average smart phone or home computer is several hundred times more powerful than the one used on the moon mission so a simple mechanical watch was most important.

Outstanding post, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:34 PM   #66
illiguy

Is the 321 Ed White a safe queen? See this stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
Both is the right answer.

illiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:48 PM   #67
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
As the owner of a 321 I am biased towards the speedy. That said, they are both terrific and If I could have a white Daytona too I’d have one for sure

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:56 PM   #68
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Although the Daytona has a movement that I would rate in the top 5 ever produced to date. And today it must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches but the hype surrounding the Daytona as today many buy the hype just to wear it. As for the Omega yes it too has a fine movement but less hype but only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321,there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12 and the only true moon watch.

And its documented that Jack Swigert's wore a Rolex GMT-Master in the main lunar orbit ship, plus there was some kind of Bulova watch/clock somewhere in the spacecraft, but the claim that a Bulova time piece was on the Moon IMHO is little more than pure marketing by them. What I have read Aldrin's speedmaster was the first on the lunar surface, so its logical that he could have worn the same watch he had issued for the Gemini X11, IMO possibly a 1966 speedy when they first put professional on dial REF ST105012, perhaps the later 1968 ST 145.012 model was left in the ship as a back up timer for computer. But one of the most important things on board the Apollo lunar mission were the mechanical watches no matter what the brand.

Speedmaster's relationship with outer space,began when they went to Corrigans shop a Texas dealer in 1961.And the NASA buyer bought 5 different brands of chronographs and some failed the NASA test, the Omega Speedmaster was passed mainly IMHO because it was manual wind. NASA tested a number of other Speedmasters in the 1960s prior to Gemini Apollo flight. All these watches were before they changed to the Cal 861 movement, NASA bought another large quantity of Speedmasters in the later 60s,and in 1966 Omega added the word Professional to the speedy. It has been said that Neil Armstrong,had a problem with his watch,and did not wear one on the moons surface. I believe Aldrin's watch was lost or most probably stolen in transit somewhere after the mission.But lets remember this fact today, your average smart phone or home computer is several hundred times more powerful than the one used on the moon mission so a simple mechanical watch was most important.

A great movement however I would be interested in how many Daytona’s do we think have never had the chronograph pusher pushed? You need to faff about unscrewing it and have the eyes of a Falcon to see read it.
As you say hype has taken over. For me, the speedmaster and the submariner are the most iconic watches ever made.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 10:12 PM   #69
Sothy
"TRF" Member

Padi, thanks for the post.

It’s a tough choice in terms of the new 321 vs modern Daytona. Both are hard to source. One of the issues that many have (I assume) is that more and more of the ADs are “boutiques” so they only have one brand. So I say buy whichever one you can. If you know the Rolex store sales associates, go Daytona and vice-versa.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 10:59 PM   #70
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Had a Speedy hesalite. Not much wrist time. Have had my Daytona since pre crazy prices. Love love love.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 11:00 PM   #71
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
A great movement however I would be interested in how many Daytona’s do we think have never had the chronograph pusher pushed? You need to faff about unscrewing it and have the eyes of a Falcon to see read it.
As you say hype has taken over. For me, the speedmaster and the submariner are the most iconic watches ever made.

Well even not a huge fan of the modern Daytona you could leave the pushers unscrewed as they have nothing whatsoever to do with any W/R. As there main and only function is to stop activating the chrono function accidentally.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 11:41 PM   #72
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Both for me. They’re very different watches.

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 12:04 AM   #73
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquieng View Post
I know Daytona is nice but the price has gone to the moon- but compared to Omega moon watch , the history of Omega going to the moon - this is hard to beat and yet Omega is still fairly reasonable price. A watch that went to the moon is the coolest thing in history of watches. Anyone feels the same? Rolex is very good with marketing.

I have tried and wanted to love the Speedy as a watch enthusiast, but it was disappointing at first sight … to be honest, I think it looks pretty blah (with exception to the new Silver Snoopy and the blue and white FOIS). I personally think the Daytona is the sexiest looking watch, save the Lange Datograph.

While the space history is interesting (at most), I am much more interested in racing and performance cars … so the Speedy’s only credible point is Trumped by the Daytona’s history and association to me.

Unless it’s a Silver Snoopy at retail, the Speedy is a hard pass for me (even against the new Omega SMP).

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 12:24 AM   #74
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
I have tried and wanted to love the Speedy as a watch enthusiast, but it was disappointing at first sight … to be honest, I think it looks pretty blah (with exception to the new Silver Snoopy and the blue and white FOIS). I personally think the Daytona is the sexiest looking watch, save the Lange Datograph.

While the space history is interesting (at most), I am much more interested in racing and performance cars … so the Speedy’s only credible point is Trumped by the Daytona’s history and association to me.

Unless it’s a Silver Snoopy at retail, the Speedy is a hard pass for me (even against the new Omega SMP).

What history does it have? Apart from the name and the fact Newman wore one I can't find anything from a casual search. I'm guessing I'm missing something though, as I've heard people mention its history several times.
Old 27 December 2021, 01:39 AM   #75
russ86
"TRF" Member

I own both, Speedy is more of a daily watch and Daytona more of a weekend
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 01:41 AM   #76
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
The Omega Speedmaster is the only watch I have ever sold and then bought back.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #77
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Two different worlds
The daytona had more refined finishing, better dial and sundials, better bracelet and clasp and of course the better water resistance

The speedy (for me) is the better size at 42mm, better contrast (speaking of the panda) and even though the 321 is the true moon watch, one can argue that others are “close cousins” with related history

The verdict;
I personally prefer the speedmaster over the daytona
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B4451BA4-F0E5-4932-A95B-281CFFAA73BC.jpeg (232.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpeg D16CDB14-7E46-4A5A-9CA9-541816C99F6C.jpeg (169.8 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpeg EC947ECE-D0E6-4258-A2D2-6DC5F9C4575D.jpeg (103.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 27 December 2021, 02:33 AM   #78
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
More like the Daytona is a Range Rover and the Speedy a Land Cruiser. Back in the day, both were equally purpose-built, rugged and capable. But today's Range Rover bears little resemblance to its ancestors in terms of its intended audience and purpose. The Land Cruiser, while upmarket compared to the originals, still has a rugged element that the Range Rover lacks.
Nailed it with this analogy.
Old 27 December 2021, 03:15 AM   #79
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

Have a great 2022.

Agree. Also, all these “sweet gains” and theoretical price appreciation are completely irrelevant unless you sell, which I’m sure 99% of Daytona owners aren’t doing.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 03:22 AM   #80
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Is the 321 Ed White a safe queen? See this stickers.
Not quite a safe queen, it’s in the watch box ready to be sized but haven’t felt the need to wear it yet, which is very different to the other watches which i wore from day 1. I will wear it one day
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 03:23 AM   #81
sq1marrero
"TRF" Member

Start with the speedy, way cheaper and super easy to find. Then keep the daytona as a life's time goal lol (my current situation)
sq1marrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 03:23 AM   #82
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post

To each their own, but…. I do not think history is the point where the Daytona has advantage here lol. Maybe I’m not reading it correctly, and certainly if you are interested in cars then perhaps that history is more relevant to you personally, but on a grand scale there is probably no more historically significant watch than the Speedmaster imo.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 05:44 AM   #83
neekon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321
To all saying that the Daytona is better, or has a better fit and finish, or quality have clearly never used, held or tried on a Speedmaster, especially the newer 3861 based ones.
I would never buy a Daytona for any amount of money, if someone gave it to me, id sell it.
It is one of the most overhyped and overpriced watches ever made.

I would take a Speedmaster and Seamaster for the retail price of a Daytona, and I would take a gold Speedmaster and Seamaster for the market price of a Daytona.

One has been to space and the moon, the other has been on an actors wrist
neekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 05:48 AM   #84
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Both for me. They’re very different watches.

Completely different. There is no reason to compare. Those saying Speedmaster because they can't afford" or because easier....
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 05:53 AM   #85
neekon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Completely different. There is no reason to compare. Those saying Speedmaster because they can't afford" or because easier....
I think its a bit of an overgeneralization to say that saying Speedmaster because someone can't afford the Daytona.

I don't like the Daytona, I think it has a hype and cult following that is not deserved. However for the market price of a Daytona, I would rather buy a Gold watch, that has an actual value over the hype.

For the retail price I would rather buy the 321 Speedmaster, or a Hesalite Speedmaster and Seamaster.

The Daytona, is NOT the best watch ever made. It is NOT the best chronograph ever made. It is NOT worth the hype and price people pay for it. Look at other watches that don't have the crown, you will see that the crown is just an overhyped and over marketed mid-level watch brand
Old 27 December 2021, 05:58 AM   #86
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekon View Post
I think its a bit of an overgeneralization to say that saying Speedmaster because someone can't afford the Daytona.

I don't like the Daytona, I think it has a hype and cult following that is not deserved. However for the market price of a Daytona, I would rather buy a Gold watch, that has an actual value over the hype.

For the retail price I would rather buy the 321 Speedmaster, or a Hesalite Speedmaster and Seamaster.

The Daytona, is NOT the best watch ever made. It is NOT the best chronograph ever made. It is NOT worth the hype and price people pay for it. Look at other watches that don't have the crown, you will see that the crown is just an overhyped and over marketed mid-level watch brand
Not my words...other posters who actually SAID that.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 06:00 AM   #87
neekon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Not my words...other posters who actually SAID that.
Apologies, didnt meant to focus on you. Its just the first I saw of that, as I started from the end of the thread.
Old 27 December 2021, 06:18 AM   #88
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekon View Post

I have both speed’s inc the 321 and the Daytona. Love them both as I’m a chrono fan, the thing is the movement in the Daytona is one of the best chrono movements ever made. Second the the size of the Daytona is what is so appealing for me. I only have a 6.5 inch wrist and the speed really wears large on me, though I wear it anyway.

Now is the Daytona worth what it is worth on the grey? No way in hell, but the msrp is fine. It’s a tad cheaper than the 321 which for me is about right.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 06:30 AM   #89
neekon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
I have both speed’s inc the 321 and the Daytona. Love them both as I’m a chrono fan, the thing is the movement in the Daytona is one of the best chrono movements ever made. Second the the size of the Daytona is what is so appealing for me. I only have a 6.5 inch wrist and the speed really wears large on me, though I wear it anyway.

Now is the Daytona worth what it is worth on the grey? No way in hell, but the msrp is fine. It’s a tad cheaper than the 321 which for me is about right.

I haven't held or seen the 321 in person, but I am on the list and its a watch I will buy on the spot.
I don't know enough to state whether the 4130 is one of the best chronograph movements ever made. I have about a 7" wrist, so the Speedmaster is a great size for me.

Thats the biggest issue I have, with the Daytona and most Rolexes(and Rolex owners). These watches are not with the prices people are willing to pay, not by a long shot. The Daytona is a 12,000$ watch all day long, the 321 is a 14,000$ watch all day long. The Daytona is not and will never be a 20,000-50,000$ watch, no matter how much people want it to be.

The 4130 might be a better movement than the 321 in terms of it being modern, but I would still take the 321 for its heritage. Owning a 321 is like owning a piece of history, owning a 4130/Daytona feels like owning a target for thieves.
Old 27 December 2021, 06:39 AM   #90
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster a is a lot of watch for the money. Can never go wrong there.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote