The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 2012, 12:28 AM   #61
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quick answer, they make some watches that Rolex should.....

Blue SS sub and 3 dial chronograph with date are the two I think of quickest...
Old 30 May 2012, 12:35 AM   #62
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight but I really don't see how your comment was offensive. I get your point...the same people who don't understand why a Tudor is picked over a Rolex are the same who don't think twice about choosing alternatives in other lifestyle choices, namely, beat up boxers. Lol. Strange analogy, but not offensive, IMO...
FWIW i wore a t shirt at night to the college library with holes in it (grab a book, get some notes and run!). I hope it doesnt make me a lessor person.

in certain circumstances, i couldnt give two hoots about my dress standards. might make some people very uncomfortable understandably

back on topic, if there is one tudor i like, it is the chrono with date. a very practical watch. the only thing i would change is the date font on the tudor.
Old 30 May 2012, 12:36 AM   #63
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
There are two camps on this subject that I have noticed over the years. Price is definitely a factor. Many like the look of Rolex but don't want to pony up the $$$ for he name but like the very similar style of Rolex. Second, is the guy that doesn't care about a status symbol on his wrist and just wants a nice watch with out all the negative baggage with owning a Rolex. Tudor will never impress th status crowd so there is no reason explaining the Rolex connection.
Nice write up, and might be true in some cases, however, for me I politely disagree... See post #59...

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
Old 30 May 2012, 01:00 AM   #64
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmer View Post
Well, why not?
x2
Old 30 May 2012, 01:09 AM   #65
pelon
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
Wow....this is quite a place.

My original question was more curious than anything....knowing very little about Tudor.

To me, being a casual enthusiast, I never understood the Tudor thing.....now I do.....well, sort of.......sheeeesh!!!

So....let me see:

Toyota vs. Lexus
Chevy vs. Cadillac
Tudor vs. Rolex

I'll stick with Rolex......thanks.
Old 30 May 2012, 01:15 AM   #66
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
If you can get beyond the "vs" you might start to understand it's about the watch not the brand or status.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 30 May 2012, 01:26 AM   #67
joleel7
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, PAM, BALL
I would love to have a Tudor Snowflake (Blue Sub) but to OP why not a Tudor? What is wrong with Tudor really?
Old 30 May 2012, 01:28 AM   #68
sfglenrock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smallcrown
Tudors stand on their own very well and also hold their own against Rolex. As people have mentioned, Tudors have style differences that can be very appealing such as the Blue Snowflake or my Big Block and Monte Carlo Chrono's. They're all examples of designs that are similar but clearly more edgy than Rolex.

Old 30 May 2012, 01:43 AM   #69
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfglenrock View Post
Tudors stand on their own very well and also hold their own against Rolex. As people have mentioned, Tudors have style differences that can be very appealing such as the Blue Snowflake or my Big Block and Monte Carlo Chrono's. They're all examples of designs that are similar but clearly more edgy than Rolex.

OMG!!!!!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

Old 30 May 2012, 01:47 AM   #70
Frogman4me
Banned

Unique references only to Tudor. Snowflake and Lollipop

Old 30 May 2012, 01:51 AM   #71
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
If you can get beyond the "vs" you might start to understand it's about the watch not the brand or status.
dP
There it is.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:00 AM   #72
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Unique references only to Tudor. Snowflake and Lollipop

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmm Good!!!!!! OP, if after seeing these pics you are still not a Tudor believer I am afraid nothing will help you to understand the Tudor appeal!!!! Tudor's are SUPREME!!!!

Old 30 May 2012, 02:11 AM   #73
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
pelon, (a.k.a. Rob)

I have enjoyed the pleasure of owning 3 Rolex wristwatches before my current Tudor Submariner. I wear the Tudor in the same manner as my previous Rolex models (Date, GMT, Explorer II)....the SAME...no different wearing pattern.

After 4 years of wearing my Tudor Submariner I would relay to you that it is just as accurate as my past Rolex watches. In fact, if memory is correct, more accurate. I rarely re-set my watch at date change-overs, etc.

It has the feel of a modern sports model!

Try one Tudor, you might just fine they are the stuff.

Good question...hope you are finding there is a lot of Tudor love from those who own and wear them.

rebel, (a.k.a. Mark)
Old 30 May 2012, 02:20 AM   #74
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Tudor is a great watch with a great history .. Many people that own Tudor also own Rolex .. I personally dont own a Tudor, but I certainly wouldnt feel the need to explain myself if I did .. I wear what I like .. No explaination needed
Old 30 May 2012, 02:35 AM   #75
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Love the heritage chrono. Want one.

No answer to the question tho. Similar to asking: why by a tag? Or an omega. Or a Porsche or anything at all really. I would suppose because u like it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 30 May 2012, 02:53 AM   #76
vmm
"TRF" Member

They're great watches. I've never understood the poor mans's Rolex thing. I love Rolex and plan on owning more including a hulk, and Daytona. Tudors make phenomenal watches. Since I'm on like 20 different waiting lists for PAM special editions at various US boutiques and never end up getting called, my next 2 watches will likely be a Black Bay and Heritage Chrono. Tudor is making some bold new designs with unmistakeable lineage and DNA. Look at most WIS blogs and websites. You'll find most people don't care as much for the Rolexes.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:55 AM   #77
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

I bought a Tudor the same reason why I've bought watches cheaper, and more expensive, than my Sub-C - because I like the way they looked on my wrist. Tudors are amazing watches. I bought a Heiritage Chrono last year and have regretted selling it ever since. Just look at it. Here's a photo of mine from last year.

Old 30 May 2012, 02:59 AM   #78
vmm
"TRF" Member

Most people never notice my watches. The two watches which get the most attention are the Doxa's with their orange and yellow dials. Teenage girls seem to like those Very random.
Old 30 May 2012, 06:57 AM   #79
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Why a Tudor? Frankly, I think Tudor has done much more interesting things lately than Rolex. Going further, I would be hard-pressed to find a newer watch that I like better than the Heritage Chrono. Just a stunning and amazing watch. Rolex is slow to change--too slow, for some. However, Tudor seems to embrace change more readily (look at the two wonderful new releases this year alone), and remember it's heritage (nice play on words, if I do say so myself)

Old 30 May 2012, 07:48 AM   #80
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Tudors are a unique part of the rolex corporation & are held in high esteem by many members of TRF. Unfortunately they stopped selling in the US before I became a WIS or I would definitely have a few tudors myself.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 30 May 2012, 07:55 AM   #81
cecilia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
they have one great looking sub and it comes in a smaller size that fits a womens wrist. i would choose tudor sub over rolex.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:58 AM   #82
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

If you are asking this question then you do not know enough about horology and need to do some more reading before posting such nonsense...
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 30 May 2012, 09:07 AM   #83
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Tudor makes great watches.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:25 AM   #84
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I think it's understandable that a newbie would feel Tudor is sort of a cheaper alternative, and has less brand recognition, in fact there's some truth to that, and let's face it, many do prefer Rolex because it's a Rolex. (status) This however doesn't mean they're inferior watches, a good eta mvt can be a great mvt. At this point I think Tudor has really started to distinguish themselves from Rolex with some exciting new designs which ironically are vintage inspired. :) I'm very impressed with the new models.

I for one was never particularly interested in Tudor until I saw these vintage inspired models like the Heritage chrono, the Pelagos and the Black Bay, and now, all of the sudden, I'm noticing the brand, and the ETA mvt really doesn't turn me off. I just wish Tudors were more accessible in the US.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:27 AM   #85
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I can see the OP's point if you were looking at similarly-styled watches like a sub. But some of the new Tudors look great and I wish I could see one at a local store.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:27 AM   #86
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV View Post
I don't know why people buy mickey mouse quartz watches, but they do!
Because they are Goofy?

Old 30 May 2012, 09:35 AM   #87
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV View Post
each to their own.......

I don't know why people buy mickey mouse quartz watches, but they do!
Woah if we're starting to knock Mickey Mouse watches then this thread has gone too far
Old 30 May 2012, 09:54 AM   #88
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Pelon, please post a pic of your Rolex collection. I am curious to know what a Real Rolex collector owns.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:58 AM   #89
rollieguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: utalkinboutwillis
I guess it's the same reason someone would buy a Toyota over a Lexus, because they like the model or price or whatever floats their boat. They are both great brands with different aesthetics that appeal to a variety of individuals.
Old 30 May 2012, 11:04 AM   #90
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
This might be the rule for the average watch buyer but a WIS is much more interested in a chrono w/ a date function offering a variety of bezels and bracelets, ss blue Subs, and all the other features offered by Tudor and not Rolex.
dP
Very true, Dan. But I suspect that the minority of Tudor watches are purchased by WIS.

I think Tudor caters more towards the "average watch buyer".

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
Closed Thread