The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28 November 2015, 11:35 AM   #61
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzrazi View Post
?..... so I went to AD store on 24th afternoon, and then they pushed me to RSC with my dealer, then RSC agreed to order a dial from Swiss for me to repair, but my dealer told me, the tech masters in RSC Taipei have pressure to perform certain amount of repairs per month, but only with country code 828, which is Taiwan...... :(
Buzzrazi, I'm a little confused by your last post. Did you purchase from a real AD or grey dealer that sells Rolex ? Who is this dealer you speak of? Also, if you purchased at Taiwan AD, I imagine your paperwork would be of the correct country code and you would be a priority customer if the story about the RSC prioritization scheme is correct.
Again, I hope this is resolved to your satisfaction but if you purchased through a grey dealer, the watch may not be new in box or factory fresh as you were told and might explain why the defect is present. Maybe a dial replacement for some unknown reason. If new in box, you should have had the pleasure of removing all the protective stickers. A grey dealer may not be able to locate a watch to execute an exchange as easily as a true AD.
Old 28 November 2015, 03:03 PM   #62
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I wouldn't be satisfied with that dial, but with a new dial installed by a certified watchmaker would satisfy me.

Stuff happens, that's what warranties are for.

I have may car in the shop because the software needs an update to correct a flaw and the car is still under warranty.

Do you think I could convince Honda to give me a new Accord?

I don't think that would fly.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 28 November 2015, 03:08 PM   #63
Banned

It's WAAAAAAAY off. Happy they are fixing the error.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 November 2015, 04:05 PM   #64
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto16610 View Post
You may want to tighten down the crown before washing your hands with it on. You may get water damage on top of the problem you have already!
This level of misinformation is scary from someone you has been here as long as you have.
Especially given your Forum name.

OP.
The dial is unacceptable and this watch should be returned to Rolex for a new replacement watch.
A replacement dial would not satisfy me.

Old 28 November 2015, 04:12 PM   #65
bankerX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I agree with OP. 6 O'clock is off.

Now this makes me ask where is Rolex's quality control?
Old 28 November 2015, 04:21 PM   #66
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I would demand a new watch

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Old 28 November 2015, 05:05 PM   #67
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I wouldn't be satisfied with that dial, but with a new dial installed by a certified watchmaker would satisfy me.

Stuff happens, that's what warranties are for.

I have may car in the shop because the software needs an update to correct a flaw and the car is still under warranty.

Do you think I could convince Honda to give me a new Accord?

I don't think that would fly.
The difference is Honda doesn't market or price itself as a supposed luxury item based on exactness and superior attention to detail that somehow supports those higher prices despite not having any cutting-edge engineering when it comes to internal mechanics, etc. Honda, like most car makers, markets itself as having more value in terms of mechanics, engineering etc at a similar (or lower) price than similar models produced by competitors.

The flaws on his watch weren't found under a 10X power loupe (they are apparent to the naked eye) or invisible, internal flaws like a software update. There's no high level of engineering required to align plots correctly or technical expertise needed to see that dial..the main thing that is looked at on a watch...is buggered.

I don't believe the OP should have to hold Rolex to a lower standard of perfection than what they themselves claim they have in order to charge the "luxury item"-driven prices they do through an AD. He paid that price. Doing so is the foundation of their business. He deserved to be able to walk out with his brand-new watch and stare at it with satisfaction and the feeling his money was well-spent. He missed that experience and feeling by selling him visibly-flawed goods that should have never made it to any display case or passed through the hands of an AD to him. The ball was dropped Rolex at too many, obvious points for it to wind up in his hands. I think he should still be able get the experience and item he paid for. That's not what he got.
Old 28 November 2015, 05:11 PM   #68
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The difference is Honda doesn't market or price itself as a supposed luxury item based on exactness and superior attention to detail that somehow supports those higher prices despite not having any cutting-edge engineering when it comes to internal mechanics, etc. Honda, like most car makers, markets itself as having more value in terms of mechanics, engineering etc at a similar (or lower) price than similar models produced by competitors.

The flaws on his watch weren't found under a 10X power loupe (they are apparent to the naked eye) or invisible, internal flaws like a software update. There's no high level of engineering required to align plots correctly or technical expertise needed to see that dial..the main thing that is looked at on a watch...is buggered.

I don't believe the OP should have to hold Rolex to a lower standard of perfection than what they themselves claim they have in order to charge the "luxury item"-driven prices they do through an AD. He paid that price. Doing so is the foundation of their business. He deserved to be able to walk out with his brand-new watch and stare at it with satisfaction and the feeling his money was well-spent. He missed that experience and feeling by selling him visibly-flawed goods that should have never made it to any display case. I think he should still be able get the experience he paid for.
Okay. Change Honda for Mercedes. Do you expect a new car for a software glitch?

Likewise, for Rolex. Change out the faulty part for one that's correct and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Old 28 November 2015, 05:15 PM   #69
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I think a brand new watch is in order here.
Old 28 November 2015, 05:20 PM   #70
Andad

Quote:

Likewise, for Rolex. Change out the faulty part for one that's correct and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V
If I drove out of the dealership in my brand new Mercedes and found out in a few days that there was a fault with the software i wouldn't keep that car for all the money in Oz - which arguably is not very much Grady.

I wonder what you would have done had this happened to you?

Old 28 November 2015, 05:24 PM   #71
buzzrazi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
Buzzrazi, I'm a little confused by your last post. Did you purchase from a real AD or grey dealer that sells Rolex ? Who is this dealer you speak of? Also, if you purchased at Taiwan AD, I imagine your paperwork would be of the correct country code and you would be a priority customer if the story about the RSC prioritization scheme is correct.
Again, I hope this is resolved to your satisfaction but if you purchased through a grey dealer, the watch may not be new in box or factory fresh as you were told and might explain why the defect is present. Maybe a dial replacement for some unknown reason. If new in box, you should have had the pleasure of removing all the protective stickers. A grey dealer may not be able to locate a watch to execute an exchange as easily as a true AD.

Yes, I purchased through AD store in Taiwan, not the grey dealer. The watch I bought is genuine from AD store, The dealer who told me the gossip of RSC is also working in AD store, who sold me the watch at first places.
Old 28 November 2015, 05:27 PM   #72
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
When Rolex makes close to 1 million watches a year I suspect that it's unrealistic to have hand made dials. More like poor alignment of a machine made batch that never got caught by qc in a stage inspection.
The applied markers(lume pips/crowns/diamonds) on Rolex watches are applied by hand. Multiple sources have pointed this out.

For example, a quote from the Hodinkee article;

"As I've said several times now, Rolex makes just about everything on its watches in its own special way – this includes dials. At Chene-Bourg, we see all dials not only being produced, but also painted and set. The building is 10 stories in total but again, five of them are hidden underground. The production takes place underground, while the numeral application (done by hand) and gem-setting (also by hand) takes place in bright-white rooms filled with sunlight. At least 100 people are working on dial-setting at any given time."

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
Old 28 November 2015, 05:38 PM   #73
Blasketbanshee
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for door jambs
I would seriously expect immediate replacement. Rolex and the AD should be mildly embarrassed that this made it all the way to sale. I'm sure this is absolutely unacceptable to Rolex.
Old 28 November 2015, 05:42 PM   #74
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
If I drove out of the dealership in my brand new Mercedes and found out in a few days that there was a fault with the software i wouldn't keep that car for all the money in Oz - which arguably is not very much Grady.

I wonder what you would have done had this happened to you?
I would do what I said I would do. I try to be rational. A faulty dial does not rate a new watch and a software problem, no matter what, the car can be reprogrammed in a couple of hours, tops, and doesn't require a new car.

The bezel on my GMTII had a misaligned bezel. My watchmaker fixed it on a couple of days and the watch is good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Old 28 November 2015, 05:59 PM   #75
IntegratedCheese
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
tell the AD to exchange. spend $7k and have to wait on a flaw for 3 months plus all this extra time to go here and there. man...
Old 28 November 2015, 06:02 PM   #76
buzzrazi
"TRF" Member

[IMG][/IMG]

The normal dial should look like this in the photo, 100% mine is faulty
Old 28 November 2015, 06:07 PM   #77
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:

Sent from my SM-G900V
Nor sure how you arrived at that analogy. Since when does a software glitch living invisibly inside a computer that may only become apparent under a certain set of conditions while operating equate in any way, shape, or form to an obvious, readily-apparent buggering of nuts-and-bolts manufacturing that doesn't even require the operation of the device in question to see?

Almost nobody can decipher the process and coding that goes into what makes a computer run let alone when they're interfacing with mechanical devices except those genius types who sat at the front of the class or dropped out of college because it was holding them back. But almost any sharp-eyed and steady-handed 8 year-old could apply plots to a watch dial so they're aligned correctly.

Do you think Mercedes would manufacture, or QC miss, or a dealership not notice and wind-up selling a car it received from the factory with the steering wheel pointing off towards the center console instead of aligned with the driver, or the chassis so out of whack it had a wheelbase 6 inches shorter on one side than the other? That's the level of obviousness in that watch's plot-botching.

If you mistakenly bought that car because you assumed, based on their reputation, that Mercedes wouldn't make such a gross error, would you have them disassemble and fix that abomination, or would you want what you paid for in the first place and for what you expected from Mercedes in a brand new car? The whole point of having Quality Control is ensure a high level of quality in order to protect a reputation. There's a threshold of failing at perfection in what's acceptable/understandable and what's not. If you have no threshold then everyone will just wind up producing high-priced garbage right out of the box or off the showroom floor, the promise to fix it notwithstanding, and terms like "quality" and "craftsmanship" rendered completely meaningless.
Old 28 November 2015, 06:44 PM   #78
Boxcars
Banned

The dial has a slight flaw. Have it replaced by an identical dial and chill out.
Old 28 November 2015, 06:53 PM   #79
CPCC
"TRF" Member

would have pushed the dealer for a new watch.
Old 28 November 2015, 07:11 PM   #80
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcars View Post
The dial has a slight flaw. Have it replaced by an identical dial and chill out.

Expert advice?

Old 29 November 2015, 03:48 AM   #81
buzzrazi
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, I got the good news!! so in the end, I listened to all your advises, I went to AD store today to reason with them, eventually the manager agreed to exchange a brand new watch head with me, but not with the watch band, that means I will be keeping my 10 days old watch band, and just swap the watch head with the AD store. Isn't it sound ridiculous and reasonable at the same time? I don't mind keeping my 10 days old watch band cause it has no scratches on it, but I'm just wondering isn't every Rolex watch band come with serial numbers on it? and are these serial numbers including watch head and watch band come together as a package? will it be any disadvantage if i just swap the watch head with AD store? what am I missing here? Please advice!! Thank you all for your true kind heart!!
Old 29 November 2015, 03:59 AM   #82
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
I agree with some others here to get the watch replace by a new one. I assume you paid around 8000 bucks for it so it has to be perfect.

I had a smaller issue with mine that I bought a month ago at the biggest AD in Zürich Switzerland. The lume pearl wasn't aligned with the 12 o'clock marker and the movement wasn't working within cosc. So I asked for an exchange since I wasn't willing to send it for 2 months to the RSC in Geneva and they did it.
Old 29 November 2015, 04:01 AM   #83
Zoran
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 Mark 1
Quote:
Hey guys, I got the good news!! so in the end, I listened to all your advises, I went to AD store today to reason with them, eventually the manager agreed to exchange a brand new watch head with me, but not with the watch band, that means I will be keeping my 10 days old watch band, and just swap the watch head with the AD store. Isn't it sound ridiculous and reasonable at the same time? I don't mind keeping my 10 days old watch band cause it has no scratches on it, but I'm just wondering isn't every Rolex watch band come with serial numbers on it? and are these serial numbers including watch head and watch band come together as a package? will it be any disadvantage if i just swap the watch head with AD store? what am I missing here? Please advice!! Thank you all for your true kind heart!!
That sounds like a great compromis!
Just make sure you get the new warranty card to match the new serial number with the new watch head. I would be very happy with this offer.
There are no serial numbers on the bracelet, so go ahead and keep yours!

I love a happy ending!
Old 29 November 2015, 04:09 AM   #84
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Quote:
They also exchange only the head of mine since my bracelet had already some signs of wear it's totally normal them doing that.

Let them do it and enjoy your new submariner.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB ;)
Old 29 November 2015, 04:10 AM   #85
buzzrazi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
That sounds like a great compromis!
Just make sure you get the new warranty card to match the new serial number with the new watch head. I would be very happy with this offer.
There are no serial numbers on the bracelet, so go ahead and keep yours!

I love a happy ending!
Thank you Zoran for your quick reply, but isn't there are three digital numbers inside the bracelet? these numbers aren't the serial numbers of the bracelet? please advice. thank you :)
Old 29 November 2015, 04:34 AM   #86
ABM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Thank you Zoran for your quick reply, but isn't there are three digital numbers inside the bracelet? these numbers aren't the serial numbers of the bracelet? please advice. thank you :)

As has already been mentioned, you should get a new warranty card with the s/n of the watch head and that of the new bracelet on it. Once you have that, your new combination is fine. But you need this new combination as part of the documentation you keep with your watch.

Old 29 November 2015, 04:39 AM   #87
ABM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710 Pepsi
What I meant to say was: ...new watch head and old bracelet... And not the other way around.

Old 29 November 2015, 04:51 AM   #88
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
No, there are no serial numbers on bracelets. I think it's reasonable not to replace the bracelet. Glad it's working out for you!
Old 29 November 2015, 05:25 AM   #89
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
OP,
PUSH for a new watch.
1). Opening a BRAND new watch to replace a dial? No way. I would not do it if it were me. Get a new one. They can send the faulty one back to Rolex HQ and let them deal with it. If its defective, its defective. No need to rationalize it.

2). Now, they have the option to fix or replace the entire watch. Stick by your guns and tell them you want a new one. I am not a big fan of opening and replacing parts UNLESS its critical and affects other parts.

Old 29 November 2015, 05:27 AM   #90
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Quote:

Good news!! Bracelet is few days old, eh,,..so what?..:)...Id take the deal..
NOW enjoy your Rolex!

Closed Thread