The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2020, 12:37 AM   #61
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
All of them .

Just because some do it, or have done it (many ADs have been stripped of status now), doesn't mean they all do. And many definitely have or still do.

A close family friend is a diamond dealer in the diamond district of NYC, and it isn't exactly a secret.
I don't doubt some have gone out the back door. The general rumor is that "all" of them do, which certainly isn't true. An AD near me got the axe for exactly this so I'm the last person to say it's impossible. I just don't believe it's widespread, at least in the US. I can't speak for other markets.

And, I personally don't care about the "grey" market pro or con.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:51 AM   #62
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1william View Post
nice watches and i believe them to be real. If you watch some video of industry watch shows for dealers, not ad's, you will see a lot of the watches packaged this way. Do pictures like this hurt or help the seller? I believe that it helps, as he does it all the time and most people would not consistently doing things that hurt their business. In the end, what does it matter? The market is the market, the dealers are the dealers and the ad's are going to do what they are going to do. Price will ride up and down and demand will surge and wane. If you want a watch then buy one. Get it from an ad if you can. If not, then go grey and get the best price you can. Enjoy your watch and move on. The never ending complaining about prices on trf is one of the true consistencies of the site. It does not bother me but i have to wonder what are these folks going to complain about once things correct and they can get what they want from an ad. I know, they will brag about the discount they got. In the end it is about the watches for me.
+1
Old 2 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #63
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post
I'd rather not buy what is quite possibly a fake watch for over retail when I can just be patient and get one from the AD in the next 3-4 months. Already collected a Black SubC-Date and SS Daytona in 2020, will only be a few more months till batman arrives! The Rolex trifecta completed in a year!

Remember everyone, patience is a virtue

Living in an area with fewer millionaires is a big help. You didn't get those watches in Los Angeles, NYC, or Las Vegas I'm assuming. I have purchase history with 3 ADs and all told me the same thing, those watches are for $100k+ per year VIPs, so I went gray. This was not an issue of patience.
Old 2 March 2020, 03:04 AM   #64
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

As for someone that enjoying looking at time pieces, it is pretty cool to see so many of the same models in a single place.

I don't have the luxury getting hot models back door from an AD but i do know that AD's do sell hot pieces to greys at a premium.
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:41 AM   #65
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Living in an area with fewer millionaires is a big help. You didn't get those watches in Los Angeles, NYC, or Las Vegas I'm assuming. I have purchase history with 3 ADs and all told me the same thing, those watches are for $100k+ per year VIPs, so I went gray. This was not an issue of patience.

Yeah, we are all in different situations. I am envious of people that live in the sticks with the close relationship with the family owned AD that they’ve known for generations. In my market and what sounds like yours as well, the only relationship that matters is your sales history. There are exceptions to the rule I’m sure but for the most part your wallet defines the relationship.
Although I’m sure the situation will cycle back eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:43 AM   #66
codester
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy and others
That’s amazing and I’m a little jealous but I wouldn’t want to be sitting on that inventory right now.
codester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 10:53 AM   #67
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
F this guy

Old 2 March 2020, 11:15 AM   #68
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Wahlberg;10420690]What does this mean?

When a buyer has overbought a product and is blocked from purchasing more inventory until they meet a turnover goal
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:23 PM   #69
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
No wonder this guy can’t afford a watch for his own arm. With Grey market prices dropping, the next picture may have him without a shirt as well.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:01 PM   #70
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
How many of them are genuine? Let's see some coffins and boxes. I mean, tight fitting hard plastic? Come on. Who treats a watch like that? And then asks for a grey premium!
The guys on here saying this guy stock is fake have no idea who he is. He sells 1000% legit watches and he is quite a large gray dealer. I know several people that have bought from him and he is legit.

These are 10000% genuine. All gray dealers keep their watches like this including the most trusted dealer on here DavidSW.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:17 PM   #71
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
The guys on here saying this guy stock is fake have no idea who he is.
And that's fair. I admit not knowing anything about him until a link was later posted to his IG. It does indeed look like his stock is of real watches.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:22 PM   #72
tng11
"TRF" Member

The watches are 100% real no question.

That said I don't get the logic of displaying a dozen of these together. One of the selling points at a premium is scarcity, that they're hard to get yada yada yada. When you see so many of them together, must give some people second thoughts. Better to say "this is the last one I have and who knows how much the next one will be" and have the other 11 in the safe.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:25 PM   #73
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
The watches are 100% real no question.

That said I don't get the logic of displaying a dozen of these together. One of the selling points at a premium is scarcity, that they're hard to get yada yada yada. When you see so many of them together, must give some people second thoughts. Better to say "this is the last one I have and who knows how much the next one will be" and have the other 11 in the safe.
LOL - its funny but true. Man numerous gray dealers have told me all this scarcity/rarity with Rolex is bullcrap.

Its all held stock by the grays to inflate the price. I've seen gray dealers inventory thats alot more than this. Its scary what will happen if everyone just stops buying these things and realises they arent worth anywhere near their asking prices. Grays are just milking as much as they can whilst it lasts.
Old 2 March 2020, 01:32 PM   #74
cheekybird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bag View Post
as a cfo in the retail world i would give this guy zero “open to buy.”
lmao
cheekybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:34 PM   #75
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Lol - enjoy holding the bag as the lead balloon drops. It won't have to go too much lower to be below the price he paid the flippers.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:51 PM   #76
Jacentito
"TRF" Member

Another thing to think about is that supply will go to where the demand is. With the events in HK over the last year, demand may have slumped and needs to be shifted. I can only buy one watch at a time should I find myself in HK. A well connected watch business person has the means and incentive to arbitrage one market for another and perhaps make a profit. Just a thought.
Jacentito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 02:02 PM   #77
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
If these are real, and that's a big IF, the shortage of SS models is at least partly engineered.

DeBeers does this with diamonds. Contrary to popular belief, diamonds are NOT rare. It's just that DeBeers has a stranglehold on approximately 90% of the world supply. They even invented the slogan "A Diamond is Forever" to keep folks from reselling diamonds. Supply constraints can be natural, or they can be engineered. These pictures certainly are not of the only gray dealer to be hoarding stock.

I smell a big fat gray rat.
Old 2 March 2020, 02:34 PM   #78
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Its his business and I don't see whats wrong. People sell their watches to him, he sells at a market rate which people are willing to pay.

Thats pretty much the end of story, its a luxury item...

Now, if that was face mask or hand sanitizers which is facing a world wide shortage and he is selling at an inflated price, folks would have every right to be pissed off!
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 02:37 PM   #79
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
If these are real, and that's a big IF, the shortage of SS models is at least partly engineered.

DeBeers does this with diamonds. Contrary to popular belief, diamonds are NOT rare. It's just that DeBeers has a stranglehold on approximately 90% of the world supply. They even invented the slogan "A Diamond is Forever" to keep folks from reselling diamonds. Supply constraints can be natural, or they can be engineered. These pictures certainly are not of the only gray dealer to be hoarding stock.

I smell a big fat gray rat.
I’m not sure why you think the watches are more likely to be fake than real. After that I enjoyed your info and found it interesting... up until your last line that is, at which point you’ve gone ahead and dismissed anything I might have found insightful.

What do you even mean a big fat gray rat? What is this a Scorsese movie lol?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 02:41 PM   #80
Steve in SoCal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Why you guys hating this guy so much? It’s his business... I mean literally. I guess when watches became really hard to get He should have closed up shop, donated all his inventory and given up his entire life to charity!? Lol. Cmon.

We don’t know how many of these slipped out of ADs, which I get the frustration on that front, trust me I get it!! But again, we don’t know. He might have bought 90% of his inventory at market value.

I think you guys need to check your haterade and take a breath.

Oh and btw, lets not forget, this isn’t bread, milk and shelter in the time of crisis. These are luxury items that no one on the planet needs. Dont feel too bad for all those naked wrists starving for a GMT or Daytona. ADs aren’t calling me for anything, don’t feel bad for me, I don’t feel bad for myself.

My naked wrist is starving for a Daytona. Lol

Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 02:42 PM   #81
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
The watches pictured aren’t authentic. I’d bet what all those actually are worth on it.
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:03 PM   #82
grimps
"TRF" Member

This guy seems like an idiot if you ask me .
Anyone trying to sell something for twice the retail price to a customer should be trying to stress how rare and difficult the item is and how lucky they are that he has one available .
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:21 PM   #83
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
The watches pictured aren’t authentic. I’d bet what all those actually are worth on it.

Why do people keep saying that? ALL his watches are authentic. WTF
Old 2 March 2020, 05:17 PM   #84
Bigblack
"TRF" Member

Watch: got a few
@eepro Plus one on that, I have not heard of one guy hitting high heat 3 stainless pieces in one year let alone one Daytona at that without being a whale and buying 6 figures plus. I could not even negotiate a daytona if I bought a dd40.....let me know where ur AD is I'd love to fly down and build a relationship :)
Bigblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 08:17 PM   #85
Podmornica
Banned

I firmly believe this situation will not last forever (as nothing does, after all) and once it stops it will be far worse for the ADs than it was pre 2016 in terms of moving the stock as lot of folks developed a Rolex fatigue in the meantime and was treated poorly by the local AD ..

Not sure how this sounds at this point in time- perhaps even more unrealistic than if someone told you back in 2016 that you will not be able to get the GMT for years when you could have it with 10% OFF at the time ..
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 08:36 PM   #86
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
I firmly believe this situation will not last forever (as nothing does, after all) and once it stops it will be far worse for the ADs than it was pre 2016 in terms of moving the stock as lot of folks developed a Rolex fatigue in the meantime and was treated poorly by the local AD ..

Not sure how this sounds at this point in time- perhaps even more unrealistic than if someone told you back in 2016 that you will not be able to get the GMT for years when you could have it with 10% OFF at the time ..
That very well may be true especially in the current environment of this virus going on right now. Besides the economy for now it’s extremely hot and that makes luxury items difficult to acquire as more people into the realm to purchase them. It was a much different environment 4 years ago when the economy was lukewarm or even worse 10 years ago when the economy was dead. It we return to that I imagine this guy will be left with a lot of stock at a loss and we will once again be getting professional models at a discount.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 08:45 PM   #87
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Wonder how many TRF members have done business with them ... That's buying AND selling.

Flipper and AD sourced.I would guess, mostly AD .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:38 PM   #88
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

Very common here among resellers

Seen 11 units of hulk as well
alwinnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:43 PM   #89
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Most of you guys moan and groan about grey dealers yet someone has posted this and now advertises the grey sellers today's WIS has made a rod for his/her own back.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 01:11 AM   #90
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
The only watches IMO, that will always be scarce are the steel Daytona's. Always have been since the 90's, I have noticed.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote