The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2023, 12:22 PM   #61
bosphorus
Banned

Upgrading is allowed, it all depends on whether you like your present collections or not, hence you can actually trade what you have for what you want, I don’t really think it’s a bad idea to trade to get what you want.
bosphorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 01:37 PM   #62
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Yes sold once a few pieces to purchase a Rolex DD, think was good move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 03:35 PM   #63
huba01
"TRF" Member

I´d do it, a 116520 is amazing
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 03:43 PM   #64
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0wned View Post
I’m in a similar boat, although I don’t have any Rolex’s to sell for a Daytona because I sold them last year (personal matters).

The Daytona (ceramic) has been my personal “grail” watch since it was first announced but of course I’ve never been able to get one. I sold my second favorite Rolex (The Hulk) last year and regret that one as well.

Thinking of selling 3 of my 4 current watches to ether get a Hulk again or try to get a Daytona. Only issue is, I’m a big Bond fan so it’s kind of hard to let go of my Omegas.

-Omega Seamaster “NTTD”
-Omega 300m “Spectre”
-Omega Planet Ocean 8500 “Skyfall
-Tudor Pelagos 39mm
Being a big bond fan you might well regret that. I am a big snoopy fan and nearly sold my Silver Award Snoopy, that I purchased at retail. I'm glad I didn't, even though I don't wear it, I know I would miss seeing snoopy.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 01:13 PM   #65
kyo86sg
"TRF" Member

I was offered a straight trade (No cash involved) by my usual pre-owned watch dealer for a Patek 5960 Steel Annual Calendar Chronograph Full Set.

He wants my zenith 16518 (Daytona leather belt), 116613LB (Sub Bluesy), 116233 (Two Tone Datejust) and a 18238 (Daydate).

I think I can live with a Steel Patek to be a 1 watch person.
kyo86sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 02:58 PM   #66
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Yes 2 GMT's and 5k for a Patek 5522a. No regrets I would do it again.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 03:26 PM   #67
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I just did this earlier this month and quickly realized that I need at least one other watch in the collection to feel satisfied. I traded a 126710 Pepsi and 126610LV Starbucks, both with very great sentimental value, for a 116500LN white dial Daytona. This left me with a Cellini and Explorer 1.
Looking back, I think I would’ve been fine if I hadn’t done it as I felt pretty good about my collection. However, I think I’m glad I did it (keyword: think), but it ultimately brought a great deal of stress to my life about losing two pieces that I originally planned to keep forever and pass down. Now I look at my Daytona, and while I love it, I sort of see the sacrifice as much as I do the grail. I didn’t even leave the store (or even the house) before I started to feel it. I’ve never felt so bad about giving up and object, even though I know most days I would be wearing this Daytona anyway.
Part of it was having the variety of two pieces I absolutely loved, part of it was the memories with each. Each watch had a lot of stories to me.
I know on paper it made sense and I’ve been hunting that grail for a couple years, but it honestly didn’t feel so sweet. I felt like I had to move now because I was offered a really good trade deal, the Daytona in its current form might be about to be discontinued/updated (I like the current size), and the value of my watches just seemed to be trending down, so I needed to capitalize on them—especially since a discontinued 116500 would trade for stupid prices for a long time, if not forever.

I feel better about it now that I just traded my Explorer for a Yachtmaster of all things. I got way more excited about it than I did my Daytona, which is totally unexpected. I guess I was just excited to have two watches I really liked again. I still miss what I lost and want it back very badly, particularly the Pepsi.
It was like I got what I really had been wanting, only to realize now I just really wanted what I had ALMOST more. I can’t bring myself to pay grey on the Pepsi when it’s currently where it’s at and I’d have to financially stretch beyond what I want to now.

It looks to me like you’re giving up a lot less than I did, relatively speaking, though. And you’d be left with some particularly solid pieces. The ones you’re giving up are readily available and probably will be available later this year for less money than you’re getting today. If I were in your position, I don’t think I would’ve felt as sick about it as I did.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 08:44 PM   #68
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Sell stuff you don't wear to fund something that you'd enjoy!!

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 09:38 PM   #69
fmc000
Banned

I did it, a few years ago I sold all my watches to fund my (then) grail, a Daytona. I was sure that it was my forever watch but it turned out that I was very wrong: I sold the watch three years after to buy my next grail (a VC Overseas). It didn't last long either.

The only positive outcome: I have become a one-watch guy since then.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 09:44 PM   #70
*M5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
I did it, a few years ago I sold all my watches to fund my (then) grail, a Daytona. I was sure that it was my forever watch but it turned out that I was very wrong: I sold the watch three years after to buy my next grail (a VC Overseas). It didn't last long either.

The only positive outcome: I have become a one-watch guy since then.
What is your one watch now?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 10:17 PM   #71
JKPA
"TRF" Member

Yeah I sold a ton of more affordable pieces to get my Submariner and I don’t miss any of them.
JKPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 10:46 PM   #72
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I sold a few pieces but more importantly I bought less along the way. Only regret is I should have been more disciplined earlier.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 02:08 AM   #73
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *M5 View Post
What is your one watch now?
As I wrote in another thread, I have lost interest in owning mechanical watches in general and I only wear quartz "grab&go" watches. For the past six months my daily has been a Citizen diver.

I still have a Speedmaster and a Datejust that I inherited from my late father but they are in a bank safe and i never wear them.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 02:20 AM   #74
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Yes sold once a few pieces to purchase a Rolex DD, think was good move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Same here. I can't say that I regret multiple decision.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 05:21 AM   #75
Turb0wned
"TRF" Member

Wanted to give an update. I wrote in the second page that just like the OP, i've been considering selling all of them for my personal grail since they first annoucned it, the Daytona 116500LN (white dial). I got pretty tired of waiting for my AD so I finally did it.

The plan isn't to stay with just one watch, instead i'm taking this opportunity to start my collection from scratch, go in a bit of a different route but start it off with my personal grail.

I am now finally enjoying the Daytona, and if for some reason in the future I decide it's no longer what I want, I know I can always sell it and buy some great pieces.
Old 12 February 2024, 06:35 AM   #76
Egauster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16518 Daytona
Did it back in 2013 for my all original full set Daytona 16518. My grail at the time... Just now getting the bug again to collect again. Still wear an apple watch daily (Ultra 2) so its hard to justify, but just bought a JLC Master Compressor Geographic..
Egauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 07:20 AM   #77
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Same here. I can't say that I regret multiple decision.
And here I am, almost a year to the date of my last post in this thread, and I traded the DD for a Pepsi, got cash, and am once again trying to put together a three-piece collection
I guess it depends on where you are in your watch-collecting journey, but maybe don't trade it all for one great piece.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 07:29 AM   #78
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I just did this earlier this month and quickly realized that I need at least one other watch in the collection to feel satisfied. I traded a 126710 Pepsi and 126610LV Starbucks, both with very great sentimental value, for a 116500LN white dial Daytona. This left me with a Cellini and Explorer 1.
Looking back, I think I would’ve been fine if I hadn’t done it as I felt pretty good about my collection. However, I think I’m glad I did it (keyword: think), but it ultimately brought a great deal of stress to my life about losing two pieces that I originally planned to keep forever and pass down. Now I look at my Daytona, and while I love it, I sort of see the sacrifice as much as I do the grail. I didn’t even leave the store (or even the house) before I started to feel it. I’ve never felt so bad about giving up and object, even though I know most days I would be wearing this Daytona anyway.
Part of it was having the variety of two pieces I absolutely loved, part of it was the memories with each. Each watch had a lot of stories to me.
I know on paper it made sense and I’ve been hunting that grail for a couple years, but it honestly didn’t feel so sweet. I felt like I had to move now because I was offered a really good trade deal, the Daytona in its current form might be about to be discontinued/updated (I like the current size), and the value of my watches just seemed to be trending down, so I needed to capitalize on them—especially since a discontinued 116500 would trade for stupid prices for a long time, if not forever.

I feel better about it now that I just traded my Explorer for a Yachtmaster of all things. I got way more excited about it than I did my Daytona, which is totally unexpected. I guess I was just excited to have two watches I really liked again. I still miss what I lost and want it back very badly, particularly the Pepsi.
It was like I got what I really had been wanting, only to realize now I just really wanted what I had ALMOST more. I can’t bring myself to pay grey on the Pepsi when it’s currently where it’s at and I’d have to financially stretch beyond what I want to now.

It looks to me like you’re giving up a lot less than I did, relatively speaking, though. And you’d be left with some particularly solid pieces. The ones you’re giving up are readily available and probably will be available later this year for less money than you’re getting today. If I were in your position, I don’t think I would’ve felt as sick about it as I did.
That’s a really great story, thank you for sharing it with us
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 07:49 AM   #79
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s a really great story, thank you for sharing it with us
Thanks! Funnily, I had multiple changes since posting this.

I sold around something pieces and had the 116500LN and the Pepsi as my dynamic duo. Then got the gold itch bad, and I traded those two for a 116508 Paul Newman dial. That dial was really illegible (the red minute track doesn't show up well the majority of the time), so I quickly traded that for the 116508 "Pikachu" dial. That's what I have now. So, I had 9 Rolexes in my possession throughout 2023 and finished the year with 1.

If I could go back now and have my Pepsi and stainless Daytona again and not be out the money that I added to make the deal happen, I absolutely would. I don't fully regret what I did, but I definitely wish I would've just held tight and added a Sub LV back to the collection in a year or two for the perfect trio. I know if I would've kept my two pieces, I probably still would be wishing I had traded. Some lessons are only learned by experience.

I just wanted something precious metal so badly and that was the only way to scratch it for the foreseeable future. I'll keep this watch I guess until something I like better comes along, but this whole fiasco over the last year has really changed my collecting perspective.
Old 12 February 2024, 08:01 AM   #80
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks! Funnily, I had multiple changes since posting this.

I sold around something pieces and had the 116500LN and the Pepsi as my dynamic duo. Then got the gold itch bad, and I traded those two for a 116508 Paul Newman dial. That dial was really illegible (the red minute track doesn't show up well the majority of the time), so I quickly traded that for the 116508 "Pikachu" dial. That's what I have now. So, I had 9 Rolexes in my possession throughout 2023 and finished the year with 1.

If I could go back now and have my Pepsi and stainless Daytona again and not be out the money that I added to make the deal happen, I absolutely would. I don't fully regret what I did, but I definitely wish I would've just held tight and added a Sub LV back to the collection in a year or two for the perfect trio. I know if I would've kept my two pieces, I probably still would be wishing I had traded. Some lessons are only learned by experience.

I just wanted something precious metal so badly and that was the only way to scratch it for the foreseeable future. I'll keep this watch I guess until something I like better comes along, but this whole fiasco over the last year has really changed my collecting perspective.

You have a really good perspective and I agree.

I went through a bit of the same this past year (not to your extent) but I consolidated from 5 down to three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2024, 08:09 AM   #81
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I did not have to trade anything to get my grail, but I have been trying to reduce the number of Rolexes I owned, with some level of success. Down to 4!
Old 12 February 2024, 08:17 AM   #82
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I've done it in the past and no regrets. I am in the process of doing it again. Hope to have an incoming this week
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 08:20 AM   #83
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I've done it in the past and no regrets. I am in the process of doing it again. Hope to have an incoming this week
Old 12 February 2024, 08:27 AM   #84
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You have a really good perspective and I agree.

I went through a bit of the same this past year (not to your extent) but I consolidated from 5 down to three.

Thanks! Did you end up just selling 2 or did you trade into something "bigger?"
Old 12 February 2024, 08:35 AM   #85
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post

Oh? Can’t wait to see what it is! Good luck

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 08:39 AM   #86
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks! Did you end up just selling 2 or did you trade into something "bigger?"

I just sold two pieces outright. I’m happy with where I’m at right now

Old 12 February 2024, 09:13 AM   #87
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
In the last 12 months I did a consolidation twice. Both times where for PM Daytonas. The watches I traded rarely got worn. The Daytons get a ton of wrist time. Never looked back.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 09:26 AM   #88
rockysw
"TRF" Member

I have, in fact a few times. I exchanged by 116520 and couple others for 116500 and have been very happy with the decision.

I have done the same for other watches too.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 09:31 AM   #89
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone here sell/trade multiple pieces for one grail? Was it worth it?

I sold GMT II Batman (never wore it) Sprite (immediate flip) and Meteorite to fund my AP 26240CE which I love

I miss the Meteorite and I am actively trying to get one on the grey market

Willyjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:16 PM   #90
kentheevil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Traded a 3861 and a tudor gmt for this wasn't the core of my collection tho

kentheevil is offline   Reply With Quote