The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 August 2016, 02:35 PM   #91
KarlS
Banned

Oh drat...I go to bed and all the fun happens....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 03:27 PM   #92
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch105 View Post
OK. Who left the computer room door unlocked again? Back to your room now doctor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Oh drat...I go to bed and all the fun happens....
Makes a good morning read as I just did
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 03:39 PM   #93
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I think I better stop posting incomings if it creates the impression the OP suggests. Makes no difference to me but a loss maybe to the forum.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 04:24 PM   #94
Socal to az
Banned

Can someone please give me the last 8 minutes of my life back that I wasted reading this guys posts.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 05:05 PM   #95
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRobert View Post
Actually yes some of them have. The questions were about the watch I wanted to buy.
The majority of the discussions I see on this forum are pricing, look what i bought, who is a good AD, with the rare question or two about the actual watches. Slash and grab is the new measure of cool. Who cares about anything but what I got or am going to get. Read through the posts on this forum and filter out all the nonsense replies that have nothing to do with the posters question, yours included. It would decrease the need of storage or archiving by 50%. I posed a question about which chronograph and why. You didn't address that question but thought hey i'll be cooler if i point out the potential flaws of others. You're typical and i'm cool with that.
Its been real and really I'm not taking offense but this thread is hereby dead.
The title of this thread is 'The Watch Industry' and you spent a huge amount of text complaining about the AD you visited. My reply was addressing your AD rant. If you actually asked about a chrono in your opening post, I really couldn't find that part!
Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 05:38 PM   #96
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I think I better stop posting incomings if it creates the impression the OP suggests. Makes no difference to me but a loss maybe to the forum.
The idea is that we get to see watches that we would never necessarily ever see...you have them so keep posting....

If people are offended by what is displayed or what is said that they should just use the "ignore" buton. Martin exemplifies this use of forum function!!

I did an incoming on the 5524 and I will do so for the 5930. I think thats what forum members want to see irrespective of whether they actually like the watch or not!! Even if the watch is lime green!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 05:52 PM   #97
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Another troll thread... seems to be getting more often around here. Obviously OP was not here to ask any serious questions but trying to stir up the forum members with meaningless banter.

Quote:
Please don't. We enjoy your incomings.
Old 24 August 2016, 06:28 PM   #98
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Just glad this thread is pronounced dead ol....
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 07:11 PM   #99
conkers
"TRF" Member

Suggest to Ken that the whole thread is deleted.
Old 24 August 2016, 08:33 PM   #100
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Yes, pointless thread,,,think the OP needs to read "How to win friends and influence people".
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 08:35 PM   #101
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
I read every reply on this thread in its entirety except the OP's original post.

IG - @kakashi_gram
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 11:06 PM   #102
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pease don't Roger, we love your posts and doesn't matter what one guy from who knows where thinks, you can't please everyone in life but the huge majority here is thrilled to see your incomings, the last one was just nuts, 4 Patek PCC's in one incoming, that's amazing, so keep'em coming, we won't complain
Old 24 August 2016, 11:21 PM   #103
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
PP sales assistants are obligated to go through Patek training inngeneva at least in the UK surprised u got such an unknowledgaeable staff. And discounts should be discussed once you are ready to pull the trigger and know what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 11:52 PM   #104
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Pease don't Roger, we love your posts and doesn't matter what one guy from who knows where thinks, you can't please everyone in life but the huge majority here is thrilled to see your incomings, the last one was just nuts, 4 Patek PCC's in one incoming, that's amazing, so keep'em coming, we won't complain
Old 24 August 2016, 11:59 PM   #105
Socal to az
Banned

People like the op have a standard operating procedure. Make a nonsensical post for no other reason than to argue with forum members. No matter what anyone would have written, the dude was going to argue with you. And he has an answer for everything without saying anything.

Roger- don't stop posting.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 08:49 AM   #106
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As I measured the pulse of my patient utilizing a blue dial timex I observed on their wrist a Rolex. At that particular instant, I began to wonder why one would consider such an extravagant ornament which was, in hind site, approximately 500 times the labor in dollars as compared to my own. It immediately brought me to a short span of time at the end of my uncle's journey. He once said that a gentleman needs two things in the real world. He stated that you need a nice watch and a good pair of shoes. He was a hard nosed business man who owned a steel and textile manufacturing plant and for many years considered my family as one from the wrong side of the tracks. His daily time piece was a steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust Rolex with a blue dial. We had much to learn from one another and to this day I'm thankful to have known him as an adult. That, however, is another story.
It was six months ago that I began to read about and compare and contrast the different types of complications and more recently and specifically chronographs, tachymeters, and pulsometers. After a bit of leisure reading and with very little understanding as to their origin, relevance to every day life and mechanical inner workings, I began to wonder why are these time pieces so fantastic, invigorating and seductive? Why am I obsessed with a hobby which reinforces my unpopular nerd legacy? Why is the experience when reading about watches as palpable as the initial 15 seconds of a patient encounter?
From the beginning of time there has always been a function within which everything operates. There are a specific amount of seconds or split seconds in each day and as an observer, by nature and trade, I began to read about the evolution of recorded and measured time. The thought of recording or knowing our position or a rough approximation relative to other celestial objects and bodies in multiple measures of time is fascinating. The obsession was infinitely perpetuated.
When your profession is held in a class of expected or perceived higher esteem and class, there often are moments when you realize that books can only bring you to a particular point of knowing. It is only when you experience in real life and time the complications, problems, and potential solutions thereof that you truly begin to cultivate understanding.
I began to visit and call on different Authorized Dealers including PP as well as other brands for guidance, education, and a deeper understanding of the pieces, that when properly together and in perfect and exact harmony, function in a concise and beautiful manner so as to measure the moments of time. Such is life. The prospect of the potential future interactions with those who better understand my new hobby was reassuring and gave me a rare something to which I may look forward. This was partially true.
What I've found the watch industry to be is very difficult, unforgiving, and unwelcoming when it comes to the Authorized Dealers. The watch industry, as I define it, is comprised of the individuals who sell on behalf of particular companies while functioning as the brand and product educators for whom they serve as representatives. It is also important that the representative be familiar with competing brands in the same caliber of competition for there will inevitably be honest questions to which many of us are not knowledgeable or do not have privilege.
I have a short story of a much anticipated visit to a Patek Philippe AD which is located a few hours north. This visit included a sense of awe as I walked through doors as thick as those protecting the vault of a bank. This awe was compounded by a perceived security that rivaled that of Fort Knox. I was greeted by an attractive young lady who was more than eager to show me PP time pieces as she introduced me to the PP seating area. I had a coffee in tow and as I approached the seating arrangement, asked if she had something on which I may set my beverage. She was a young and attractive sales associate who appeared to be knowledgeable about time pieces, though at this point I'm not one to judge what constitutes knowledge of watches. I began to ask insightful or better put curious questions about the different watches I found to be important. I asked not because I knew the answer but rather as a bridge to further understand the details, reasons, and history behind a potentially involved investment. She stated that I knew a lot about watches, which was certainly not accurate and I was in no manner pretending to be any type of aficionado. She then proceeded to excuse herself only to be replaced by the owner of the shop. It was at this moment that I understood her presence was one of a superficial nature in an upscale region. It was apparent that many of the clients in this particular area purchased status symbols rather than exciting pieces of history and knowledge. I understand that most expensive or luxury purchases are experiences of exhilaration, excitement and conquering the ability to afford that which few may obtain. I've found my reason is of a very different nature. This man sat before me with silence as his approach. He sighed, took out a coaster and without knowing I have manners, placed my beverage onto it with authority. It is not clear the reason for the unwelcoming demeanor and disrespectful attitude. I later reasoned that it was likely a defense mechanism for his employees lack of any real knowledge about the product she represents. The questions I asked were similar in nature to those not known by the lady associate. The responses I received were short, not relevant, not educational or enthusiastic, and rude beyond anything i've ever experienced. The room tilted to an uncomfortable balance when price negotiations became subject. This is an important part of the story because as a consumer price does matter. My profession allows me to earn a decent salary but this does not lead one to reason that all of those earnings should be spent irresponsibly. The only reason my salary should have any relevance is that it validates my ability to make the purchase thereby granting me a seat at the table. If it is not one particular table, it will be another. It will be another.
I left without anger but have still a feeling of disappointment. I am not discouraged and will continue the pursuit of time.
Thank you for indulging in my current state of affairs.

Guess his uncle was right about one thing: wrong side of the tracks. Indeed.

Didnt join this conversation yet as the op had me lost. Writes all kinds of incomprehensible stuff that clearly took him some time to come up with without making a real point, then tries to deflect by posting that chrono question, shifts to challenges about donating money to the forum placing himself in the 50% he so eloquently describes. End of intermission, back to "business".

I chimed in now to extend a thanks to the mods: keep up the good work! I was actually waiting for the ban since page two.

Look forward to continued posts with plenty of pics guys
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 09:17 AM   #107
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
Quote:

+1

Can't deprive the 100s of us because of one troll. I personally love all incoming threads here.

Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 09:34 AM   #108
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Horrible syntax. My seven year old could write better sentences.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 09:53 AM   #109
de66
"TRF" Member

I have been thinking about it for a while now but this was exactly the incentive I needed to become pledge member!
Paypalled the funds just now,
is that an accepted verb, Paypalling??
Old 25 August 2016, 10:53 AM   #110
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
I have been thinking about it for a while now but this was exactly the incentive I needed to become pledge member!
Paypalled the funds just now,
is that an accepted verb, Paypalling??
It's only $25...I hope many more think about.

Money well spent for the value gained--IMHO
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 11:24 AM   #111
lapince
"TRF" Member

Yeah I need to do it as well, my pledge membership ended sometime ago and I didn't think about doing it, and yeah 25$ is nothing, won't stop you from getting your next AP/PP/RM
Old 25 August 2016, 05:17 PM   #112
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
It's only $25...I hope many more think about.

Money well spent for the value gained--IMHO
Quote:
Yeah I need to do it as well, my pledge membership ended sometime ago and I didn't think about doing it, and yeah 25$ is nothing, won't stop you from getting your next AP/PP/RM
True true.

It was actually more forgetfulness that prevented me so far...
Old 26 August 2016, 12:02 AM   #113
Chrispare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Quote:
Please don't.
I can't afford the kind of watches you show us but I love to look at them ( and many others) ...it's good to dream and may be one day...
Jealously is a very bad feeling.
Chrispare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 12:30 AM   #114
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Well this was entertaining to say the least. My learnings from this post.
-ask a question if you want an answer.
-you can no longer tell that someone has been banned in Tapatalk app.
-Paypalling is a verb
-if Roger and Paul stop posting incomings and RM pics I will not be happy with Jay
-people need to keep up their pledge memberships. This is way cheaper than Netflix and WAY more entertaining.

Brandon

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 02:25 AM   #115
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
-Paypalling is a verb
-if Roger and Paul stop posting incomings and RM pics I will not be happy with Jay
-people need to keep up their pledge memberships. This is way cheaper than Netflix and WAY more entertaining.

Brandon

Brandon. Now, if only the Fed minutes were as succinct as that
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 05:32 AM   #116
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
-Paypalling is a verb

Brandon

Old 26 August 2016, 05:43 AM   #117
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
As an engineer I think it's simple we can talk about it forever the quality The Prestige the history..I buy it cuz I like it
madmax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 05:50 AM   #118
Vigilance247
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Quote:
As I measured the pulse of my patient utilizing a blue dial timex I observed on their wrist a Rolex. At that particular instant, I began to wonder why one would consider such an extravagant ornament which was, in hind site, approximately 500 times the labor in dollars as compared to my own. It immediately brought me to a short span of time at the end of my uncle's journey. He once said that a gentleman needs two things in the real world. He stated that you need a nice watch and a good pair of shoes. He was a hard nosed business man who owned a steel and textile manufacturing plant and for many years considered my family as one from the wrong side of the tracks. His daily time piece was a steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust Rolex with a blue dial. We had much to learn from one another and to this day I'm thankful to have known him as an adult. That, however, is another story.
It was six months ago that I began to read about and compare and contrast the different types of complications and more recently and specifically chronographs, tachymeters, and pulsometers. After a bit of leisure reading and with very little understanding as to their origin, relevance to every day life and mechanical inner workings, I began to wonder why are these time pieces so fantastic, invigorating and seductive? Why am I obsessed with a hobby which reinforces my unpopular nerd legacy? Why is the experience when reading about watches as palpable as the initial 15 seconds of a patient encounter?
From the beginning of time there has always been a function within which everything operates. There are a specific amount of seconds or split seconds in each day and as an observer, by nature and trade, I began to read about the evolution of recorded and measured time. The thought of recording or knowing our position or a rough approximation relative to other celestial objects and bodies in multiple measures of time is fascinating. The obsession was infinitely perpetuated.
When your profession is held in a class of expected or perceived higher esteem and class, there often are moments when you realize that books can only bring you to a particular point of knowing. It is only when you experience in real life and time the complications, problems, and potential solutions thereof that you truly begin to cultivate understanding.
I began to visit and call on different Authorized Dealers including PP as well as other brands for guidance, education, and a deeper understanding of the pieces, that when properly together and in perfect and exact harmony, function in a concise and beautiful manner so as to measure the moments of time. Such is life. The prospect of the potential future interactions with those who better understand my new hobby was reassuring and gave me a rare something to which I may look forward. This was partially true.
What I've found the watch industry to be is very difficult, unforgiving, and unwelcoming when it comes to the Authorized Dealers. The watch industry, as I define it, is comprised of the individuals who sell on behalf of particular companies while functioning as the brand and product educators for whom they serve as representatives. It is also important that the representative be familiar with competing brands in the same caliber of competition for there will inevitably be honest questions to which many of us are not knowledgeable or do not have privilege.
I have a short story of a much anticipated visit to a Patek Philippe AD which is located a few hours north. This visit included a sense of awe as I walked through doors as thick as those protecting the vault of a bank. This awe was compounded by a perceived security that rivaled that of Fort Knox. I was greeted by an attractive young lady who was more than eager to show me PP time pieces as she introduced me to the PP seating area. I had a coffee in tow and as I approached the seating arrangement, asked if she had something on which I may set my beverage. She was a young and attractive sales associate who appeared to be knowledgeable about time pieces, though at this point I'm not one to judge what constitutes knowledge of watches. I began to ask insightful or better put curious questions about the different watches I found to be important. I asked not because I knew the answer but rather as a bridge to further understand the details, reasons, and history behind a potentially involved investment. She stated that I knew a lot about watches, which was certainly not accurate and I was in no manner pretending to be any type of aficionado. She then proceeded to excuse herself only to be replaced by the owner of the shop. It was at this moment that I understood her presence was one of a superficial nature in an upscale region. It was apparent that many of the clients in this particular area purchased status symbols rather than exciting pieces of history and knowledge. I understand that most expensive or luxury purchases are experiences of exhilaration, excitement and conquering the ability to afford that which few may obtain. I've found my reason is of a very different nature. This man sat before me with silence as his approach. He sighed, took out a coaster and without knowing I have manners, placed my beverage onto it with authority. It is not clear the reason for the unwelcoming demeanor and disrespectful attitude. I later reasoned that it was likely a defense mechanism for his employees lack of any real knowledge about the product she represents. The questions I asked were similar in nature to those not known by the lady associate. The responses I received were short, not relevant, not educational or enthusiastic, and rude beyond anything i've ever experienced. The room tilted to an uncomfortable balance when price negotiations became subject. This is an important part of the story because as a consumer price does matter. My profession allows me to earn a decent salary but this does not lead one to reason that all of those earnings should be spent irresponsibly. The only reason my salary should have any relevance is that it validates my ability to make the purchase thereby granting me a seat at the table. If it is not one particular table, it will be another. It will be another.
I left without anger but have still a feeling of disappointment. I am not discouraged and will continue the pursuit of time.
Thank you for indulging in my current state of affairs.

Have you considered the Ball Pulsemeter Pro?
Old 26 August 2016, 06:44 AM   #119
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
-Paypalling is a verb

Brandon

Like the way you think and chance in hell some troll is going to stop me from posting pics
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 04:21 AM   #120
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The point of the post was to see if i'm alone in wonder about the history of measuring, tracking, and understanding time. It is interesting the different levels of involvement people have in any particular hobby. I enjoy learning about and breaking down to the fundamental level anything I am currently doing. For instance, what is a tourbillon? What is it's function? Why was it developed? Who developed it? How does it work within the mechanical inner workings of the watch? The evolution of the watch is fascinating in that it allows us an approximation and ability to create and maintain everything around us. The reasons that different people enjoy a common hobby is also of interest. In my opinion, one person's reason for their involvement in the hobby doesn't supersede that of any other. It's nice to see a group of people with common interests that share their joy with one another, no matter what the reason.
Do I want you to answer the tourbillon question? No. It was an example. It's who I am, if its not who you are that is cool. The other point is to gather opinions on which chronograph with pulsometer you'd prefer and for which reason(s)? I find that those who have experienced by diving into the pool rather than those who read about swimming provides better and more in-depth opinions.
You would most certainly enjoy the book Longitude by Dava Sobel. It describes the trials and tribulations of a watch maker, John Harrison's, in his quest to develop a chronometer accurate enough to use for navigation on the high seas in the early 1700's.
LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote