The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2024, 07:27 AM   #91
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
I feel like my Strat looks different…

She’s gorgeous!!!! Muddy Waters would be proud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 09:06 AM   #92
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
...Yet also I have no desire to go up to a $2k+ acoustic (yet ).
The hybrid world is new to me and honestly doesn’t make sense in my head (haven’t played one though). I think if I wanted something slightly hollow it would be a 335-like thing…

I think you need to play one first. See if it really is a balance of both or just a compromise.

EDIT: The other thing I would add is you can pick up all sorts of great guitars at reasonable prices used. If you feel like you need to move on, set it free and buy something nicer.
If you loved playing a Strat, for the love of all that is good, go get yourself a Strat. Squire, Mexi, or freaking Custom Shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
I completely understand! You could however, purchase any guitar you like and get a USB DI box. Amp and pedal modeling is pretty good. With a nice set of headphones you’d enjoy the sound quite a bit. And, your investment wouldn’t have to be nearly as much.

I guess my other post was just focusing on the fact that if you enjoy a strat sound, you won’t get it from any other guitar and I believe you CAN achieve the sound of most other guitars with a strat :)

Good luck! I hope you report back what you end up doing!

Thanks guys. I just browsed the Fender website & their Mustang & Jaguar guitars sound great in their clips, maybe more along the lines of what I'm going after. I'll have to go to a Guitar Center & check them out.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 10:33 PM   #93
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Good options. Love my strat and it’s versatile but admit not as versatile as my PRS or EBMM. What matters most is getting a rig where you can play your passion and enjoy it - once back into it you can always trade/add later.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 03:16 AM   #94
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Maybe I'll find a cheap, used electric on Craigslist/eBay/etc & invest in the computer end of the set up. Then once I figure out if this is a rabbit hole I want to go down, go in on a more expensive guitar. Thanks for talking this through.

Old 19 January 2024, 04:07 AM   #95
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Maybe I'll find a cheap, used electric on Craigslist/eBay/etc & invest in the computer end of the set up. Then once I figure out if this is a rabbit hole I want to go down, go in on a more expensive guitar. Thanks for talking this through.

That’s very smart!

I miss playing very much so please continue any gear talk through your process with us here if you can, if even just to humor me and completely ignore all my suggestions lol.

Old 19 January 2024, 04:46 AM   #96
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I suggest simplifying - get a POD or something rather than attempting the computer route. Can find good used gear on Reverb…

Better off getting a good guitar than the computer rabbit hole.
Old 19 January 2024, 05:08 AM   #97
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

I have a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface and GarageBand which allows me to run directly into my Mac.

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing and starting the long journey into learning GarageBand.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 05:18 AM   #98
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
I have a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface and GarageBand which allows me to run directly into my Mac.

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing and starting the long journey into learning GarageBand.
Good on ya' for jumping right in. I couldn't make heads or tails on GarageBand. I use an Ampeg preamp and a few pedals as my home silent practice rig.

My geetar player has been using Taylors since we started playing together close to 20 years ago. Taylors are the most full sounding acoustics I've ever heard, with articulate highs & thunderous lows. Sometimes I have to remind him I'm the bass player.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home practice board copy.JPG (286.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg dP & Jeff 3.jpg (133.8 KB, 79 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 06:15 AM   #99
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Scarletts are fantastic!!!! Garage band is a great DAW and very capable. I would recommend adding a plug-in like Native Instruments Guitar Rig for even more versatility and quality modeling :)

The session drummer in garage band is fun to jam with as well. Great for noodling or just playing around with some funky rhythm progressions!

Old 19 January 2024, 07:42 AM   #100
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Scarletts are fantastic!!!! Garage band is a great DAW and very capable. I would recommend adding a plug-in like Native Instruments Guitar Rig for even more versatility and quality modeling :)

The session drummer in garage band is fun to jam with as well. Great for noodling or just playing around with some funky rhythm progressions!

Thanks for the tip about Native Instruments. I'm just dipping my toes into these waters.

Old 19 January 2024, 09:28 AM   #101
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip about Native Instruments. I'm just dipping my toes into these waters.
I also use a couple Scarletts in my digital recording setup. I want to say I have a total of about 20 input channels running currently. It is a very convenient way to run several instruments without having to constantly rebalance / swap mics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 727BF005-D0F5-4960-9F2C-A68762E05B92.jpeg (79.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 19 January 2024, 02:38 PM   #102
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
I also use a couple Scarletts in my digital recording setup. I want to say I have a total of about 20 input channels running currently. It is a very convenient way to run several instruments without having to constantly rebalance / swap mics.

Nice! Man I wish I had a picture of my rack setup from my home recording days!!!

I ran 10 ins and 10 outs with a patch box, power cleaner, and rack effects for all live takes or recording to tape (yep, I’m old enough to have started with tape!).

Old 20 January 2024, 01:21 AM   #103
relix63
"TRF" Member

Here's my latest find, a 61 Fiesta Red Fender Esquire. While I'm sure there's more out there, it's the only one I've ever seen.

Here's some of the amps I'm currently using.

relix63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 03:39 AM   #104
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Looks amazing. I bet the Esquire is fun to play through the Matchless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relix63 View Post
Here's my latest find, a 61 Fiesta Red Fender Esquire. While I'm sure there's more out there, it's the only one I've ever seen.

White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 06:05 AM   #105
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Oh my!!! She’s gorgeous! Fiesta Red is my favorite from Fender! Don’t mean a thang, if it ain’t got that twang!

I had a tweed Blues DeVille 2x12, the 1x12 Hot Rod Deluxe and an Electar 1x10 with custom tube setup (the fuzz tones I could get from that were so tasty!).

Old 20 January 2024, 09:58 PM   #106
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Nice guitars.

I’ve been playing for about 35 years and will say the best non-custom guitar I’ve ever owned is from Ernie Ball. EB Music Man Majesty BFR (Ball Family Reserve). Gorgeous paintwork, immensely playable, incredible natural resonance while also being fully loaded with features. A bit like the Bugatti of guitars without the price premium. Played and still own American-made PRS, American made strats and have owned most other brands and this thing stands alone… the craftsmanship is incredible too.

I think they go for about $3-$5k but easily match custom builds that are priced way higher. Highly recommend for those who haven’t tried them out… honestly, I missed out on them for years as I was a bit ignorant on the brand outside of guitar strings…
Old 20 January 2024, 10:26 PM   #107
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry62 View Post
1988/2004 "Arturo Toscanini Symphony Orchestra"

first on the left

Packed house Gerry, very impressive, love all symphonies
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 12:16 AM   #108
rick lee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Batman
Another Ernie Ball fan here.

rick lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 03:59 AM   #109
43Airking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Next one
Gibson CC #24 R9 Nicki - No filters on the photo, just snapped it with the iPad. Musician is a strong word - HA!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
43Airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:24 AM   #110
relix63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
Looks amazing. I bet the Esquire is fun to play through the Matchless.
The Matchless is a cool amp and the Esquire does sound great through it. This particular Clubman 35 is from the very first batch of them and it uses some unusual preamp tubes. Matchless changed this up pretty early on because it was hard to find tubes that weren't microphonic.

Quote:
Oh my!!! She’s gorgeous! Fiesta Red is my favorite from Fender! Don’t mean a thang, if it ain’t got that twang!

I had a tweed Blues DeVille 2x12, the 1x12 Hot Rod Deluxe and an Electar 1x10 with custom tube setup (the fuzz tones I could get from that were so tasty!).

Those Fender amps sound great but they sure get loud fast.
relix63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 03:24 AM   #111
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those Fender amps sound great but they sure get loud fast.
You got that right!!!

Easier to get “in the zone” when your senses are completely overwhelmed by the volume lol. Can’t think, just play!

Old 22 January 2024, 06:23 AM   #112
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
Yep, been playing for 30+ years…. Got my wooden kids together a bit ago for the holidays…. They rarely ever get together…
Oh, and that couch is the way it is from very large dogs

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:47 AM   #113
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
I turned down an amp that was offered to me, but would like some feedback (no pun intended). Maybe I should reconsider?

My old mentor offered me a Mesa Boogie F50 for free. It would blow a fuse every other week. His age and medical condition now force him to gig with a lighter amp, so he hasn't since pursued a remedy for the fuse situation. It has been collecting dust for a few years now, and his wife would like for it to be gone.

Given that it takes hours/days for the fuse to blow, I'm thinking it's not a short. It may just need new tubes, but I don't know for sure.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:29 AM   #114
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
I turned down an amp that was offered to me, but would like some feedback (no pun intended). Maybe I should reconsider?

My old mentor offered me a Mesa Boogie F50 for free. It would blow a fuse every other week. His age and medical condition now force him to gig with a lighter amp, so he hasn't since pursued a remedy for the fuse situation. It has been collecting dust for a few years now, and his wife would like for it to be gone.

Given that it takes hours/days for the fuse to blow, I'm thinking it's not a short. It may just need new tubes, but I don't know for sure.

Not really sure about the electrical stuff but free is free! Mesa Boogie make great amps with a killer tone.

Definitely worth trying it out and deciding that way :) if it’s a pain, pass it on to someone else lol

Old 23 January 2024, 10:00 AM   #115
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post

I would. $5-800 amp used. There seems to be a support community (not me) that repair/build amps. Worth a few new tubes IMO.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote